[MyAppleMenu] Sep 4, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Sep 4 18:59:00 EDT 2011

**** Work It <http://thesmartset.com/article/article08301101.aspx>
Greg Beato, The Smart Set

Or more precisely, Steve Jobs invented business casual in the same way he invented the graphical interface, the mouse, the MP3 player, and the smartphone. All these things existed before Steve Jobs coaxed talented engineers to produce his version of them — but it’s his version of these things that captured our imaginations, had the greatest impact on our culture, and changed the way we live.

**** Former Straits Times Reporter Lynn Lee Refutes Wikileaks Cable <http://newnation.sg/2011/09/former-straits-times-reporter-lynn-lee-refutes-wikileaks-cable/>
New Nation

"I am not making excuses – his cable misrepresented what I said and I would like to place on record what actually transpired."

**** Wikileaks: Government Stifles Entrepreurship, Higher Education <http://thesatayclub.net/2011/09/wikileaks-government-stifles-entrepreurship-higher-education/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=wikileaks-government-stifles-entrepreurship-higher-education>
The Satay Club

In the latest batch of US diplomatic cables released by anti-secrety website Wikileaks, it was revealed that the Singapore government is stifling entrepreneurship and innovation, and has run out of ideas as to how to encourage the spontaniety Singaporeans need in order to stay economically competitive.

**** Young PAP Under The WikiLeaks Spotlight <http://newasiarepublic.com/?p=32795>
Chan Jia Hui, New Asia Republic

**** Why Not Introduce Local Government Elections? <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110904-0000880/Why-not-introduce-local-government-elections?>
Philip Holden, Today

Elected local government might be felt to introduce inefficiencies, but it has three key advantages. First, it promotes a civic engagement in local affairs that supplements the "helping hands" of voluntarism with what Kevin Tan has called the "helping heads" of active, caring participants in the political process.

Second, it provides a test-bed for radically new policies that a central government might, with natural caution, oppose. If these policies succeed, they can be more widely adopted; if they fail, the impact of such failure is limited.

**** The Grassroots Of The "Neutrality" Problem <http://thinkingbetterthinkingmeta.blogspot.com/2011/09/grassroots-of-neutrality-problem.html>
Sam Ho, Sam's Thoughts