[MyAppleMenu] Sep 2, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Sep 2 18:59:00 EDT 2011

**** Mac App Store Gets Special Lion-friendly App Section <http://news.cnet.com/8301-27076_3-20100680-248/mac-app-store-gets-special-lion-friendly-app-section/?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=News-Apple>
Josh Lowensohn, CNET

Apple today quietly rolled out a new section in its Mac App Store that features applications that have been made to work with the latest version of its Mac OS X operating system.

**** Prowl 1.3 Adds iPad Support And “Do Not Disturb” <http://www.macstories.net/reviews/prowl-1-3-adds-ipad-support-and-do-not-disturb/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+macstoriesnet+%28MacStories%29>
Federico Viticci, MacStories

**** Apple Puts Legacy Final Cut Studio Back On Sale <http://www.macrumors.com/2011/09/01/apple-puts-legacy-final-cut-pro-studio-back-on-sale/>
Jordan Golson, MacRumors

Apple has put the previous version of its Final Cut Studio video editing suite back on sale after a mixed reception to the new and completely redesigned Final Cut X.

See Also: Apple Explains Decision To Start Selling Final Cut Studio Again [http://www.loopinsight.com/2011/09/01/apple-explains-decision-to-start-selling-final-cut-studio-again/], by Jim Dalrymple, The Loop.

“As we’ve done before with many end-of-life software products, we have a limited quantity of FInal Cut Studio still available through Apple telesales to customers who need them for ongoing projects,” an Apple spokesperson told The Loop.

**** Managing Your Mac's Address Book <http://www.tuaw.com/2011/09/02/managing-your-macs-address-book/>
TJ Luoma, TUAW

**** Use Skype And GarageBand To Make A Podcast That Sounds Great <http://www.macworld.com/article/162062/2011/09/skype_garageband_podcast_tips.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Jason Snell, Macworld

After a year of producing, hosting, and recording The Incomparable Podcast, I’ve learned a lot about editing podcasts… but I’ve also learned what I like about podcasts, because it’s what I’ve tried to do with my own. Everyone has different tastes, so I can’t tell you these are rules you should follow. They’re just the ones I follow.

**** The New York Times Imagines The Kitchen Table Of The Future <http://www.niemanlab.org/2011/08/the-new-york-times-imagines-the-kitchen-table-of-the-future/>
Nieman Journalism Lab

The Times Co.’s R&D Lab is betting breakfast will be less about sharing out newsprint and more about swiping through stories, ambient commerce, and the quantified self.

**** Errol Morris Looks For The Truth In Photography <http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/04/books/review/believing-is-seeing-by-errol-morris-book-review.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
Kathryn Schulz, New York Times

One of the first things we learn in “Believing Is Seeing” is that its author, the filmmaker Errol Morris, has limited sight in one eye and lacks normal stereoscopic vision — “My fault,” he writes, for refusing to wear an eye patch after being treated for strabismus in childhood. It’s hard to think of another writer who so neatly embodies the theme of his own book. “Believing Is Seeing” is about the limitations of vision, and about the inevitable idiosyncrasies and distortions involved in the act of looking — in particular, looking at photographs.

**** Sorry, Wrong In-Box <http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/01/opinion/sorry-wrong-in-box.html?nl=todaysheadlines&emc=tha212>
Frank Bruni, New York Times

My friend E. just texted, two days after my text. “Didn’t see it,” she reports. “On this new phone, I can’t figure anything out.”

In this new world, neither can I.

**** Strategic Options For Tan Jee Say <http://newasiarepublic.com/?p=32665>
Chan Jia Hui, New Asia Republic

Targeting areas where he has the strongest support during the Presidential elections will give him a headstart. From there, he can consolidate and expand on his support.

**** Singapore Swears In New President <http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5hS4bpFR6euPAzEVdTtU0pR8DVqQQ?docId=CNG.a724b78e2e84cd84028c7fdda12aa83e.a11>
AFP

Former deputy premier Tony Tan was sworn in as Singapore's new president Thursday, five days after scraping to victory in an election where his slim margin showed falling support for the ruling party.

**** MPs' Take On Grassroots Advisers <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1150614/1/.html>
Ng Jing Yng, Today

Almost all ruling party MPs Today spoke to agreed with the PA's position - except for veteran MP Charles Chong, who called on the PA to review its position.

**** “Retired Ministers”: No Megabucks From Private Sector <http://atans1.wordpress.com/2011/09/02/retired-ministers-no-megabucks-from-private-sector/>
Thoughts Of A Cynical Investor

Or maybe, their pensions are so big (remember no details are made public) that they can sit back and relax, and take jobs that pay “peanuts”?

**** Lessons From Singapore’s Bio-science Hubs <http://www.hartboillot.com/blog/2011/lessons-from-singapores-bio-science-hubs/>
Nik See, The HB Blog

Singapore’s transformation into a hub for biomedical investment, research and development holds lessons for the Massachusetts medical device industry.

**** Rail Line Open To Public From September <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110902-0000448/Rail-line-open-to-public-from-September>
Esther Ng, Today

The stretch extends southwards from the steel bridge along Bukit Timah railway road. The public can look forward to walking on the opened rail line from Sept 16. Other portions of the railway line will be opened progressively to the public as removal works are removed.

**** Underplanning Is In The Health Ministry’s DNA <http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2011/09/02/underplanning-is-in-the-health-ministrys-dna/>
Alex Au, Yawning Bread

I am not at all underestimating how difficult it is to get planning right. But the starting point must be to get the projections right. In this respect — to have a brand new hospital full within 12 months, and the whole system groaning under the weight of unforeseen demand with no new hospital for 3 – 4 more years to come — the record is rather less than sterling.

**** Co-Founder Of The Online Citizen Launches New Alternative Site <http://journalism.sg/2011/09/01/co-founder-of-the-online-citizen-launches-new-alternative-site/>
Journalism.Sg

Andrew Loh, one of the editors of The Online Citizen until just after May's General Election, has launched a new socio-political website, Public House.

**** Singapore Warns Of Global Economic Risks <http://www.theaustralian.com.au/business/economics/singapore-warns-of-global-economic-risks/story-e6frg926-1226128074438>
Gaurav Raghuvanshi, Dow Jones

"Drawing on our reserves should only be an absolutely last resort. Our first strategy is to ensure a resilient and dynamic economy. But our reserves give us confidence that we can weather any crisis, however severe it may be," Mr Lee said in a speech during the swearing-in of Singapore's new president, Tony Tan.

**** S'pore's Inflation May Stay Above 5% For Next Few Months: MAS <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1150663/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

The MAS said in a report on its website that the continued rise in housing and transport expenses will keep the cost of living elevated.

Inflation in Singapore accelerated to 5.4 per cent in July from a year ago, putting pressure on the MAS to keep policy tight and allow for further appreciation of the currency despite a slowing economy.

**** NTUC Wants To 'Become Independent'? <http://www.yoursdp.org/index.php/news/singapore/4945-ntuc-wants-to-become-independent>
Singapore Democratic Party

Now Mr Lim Swee Say says that he wants the NTUC to become independent. If Mr Lim wants to be taken seriously, he should step down as secretary-general of the NTUC and the government should relinquish its control of the labour movement. It should also amend the Trade Unions Act and allow workers to freely organise their own unions.

But like everything else, statements of liberalisation are platitudes that the PAP uses to placate Singaporeans with no serious or substantive change intended. Mr Lim's words fool no one.

**** Wikileaks: Deepening Rift Between Straits Times Editors And Reporters <http://newnation.sg/2011/09/wikileaks-document-deepening-rift-between-straits-times-editors-and-reporters/>
Terence Lee, New Nation

A stunning Wikileaks document released three days ago highlighted what appear to be the private views of a few Straits Times journalists, all of whom expressed frustration at the control of the press exerted by the Singapore government in the media.

Three people were named. Two were Straits Times reporters and one was a student. First was the paper’s US correspondent Chua Chin Hon, who lamented that editors in the paper are groomed to be pro-government and ensure that the story in the papers generally fall in line with what the ruling party wants. “None of them has the courage to publish any stories critical of the government,” said the report.

**** A Gradual Reopening Of The Rail Corridor <http://thelongnwindingroad.wordpress.com/2011/09/02/a-gradual-reopening-of-the-rail-corridor/>
The Long And Winding Road

**** Ministerial Salary Review To Be Completed Before Year-end <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1150693/1/.html>
S Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia

Mr Ee said since the close of the public feedback on June 20, his team has received more than 500 suggestions through emails and letters. He said the team is carefully looking through all the inputs, some of which are very detailed, with the help of HR consultant Mercer Singapore.

**** Wikileaks: US State Department’s Views On Young PAP <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/09/wikileaks-us-state-dept-views-on-yp/>
The Online Citizen

**** WikiLeaks: Significant Gov’t Pressure Put On ST Editors <http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singaporescene/wikileaks-significant-gov-t-pressure-put-st-editors-095630064.html>
Jeffrey Oon, Yahoo!

A senior staff member of Singapore's largest newspaper admits there's "significant pressure" on its editors to follow the government line, according to a newly-released WikiLeaks document.

As a result, reporters within the paper are "increasingly frustrated" with the restrictions on what they can report and often seek overseas postings where restrictions are fewer.