[MyAppleMenu] Sep 1, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Sep 1 18:59:00 EDT 2011

**** Mac OS X Can't Properly Revoke Dodgy Digital Certificates <http://www.macworld.com/article/162086/2011/08/mac_os_x_cant_properly_revoke_dodgy_digital_certificates.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Robert McMillan, IDG News Service

A programming glitch in Apple’s OS X operating system is making it hard for Mac users to tell their computers not to trust digital certificates, exacerbating an ongoing security problem with a Dutch certificate authority that was recently hacked.

**** My Neighbor, Steve Jobs <http://paloalto.patch.com/articles/my-neighbor-steve-jobs>
Lisen Stromberg, PaloAltoPatch

Here in Palo Alto, Steve Jobs isn’t just an icon, he’s also the guy who lives down the street.

**** 0x22 <http://cdespinosa.posterous.com/0x22>
cdespinosa's Posterous

But when Apple bought NeXT in 1997, two interesting things happened. When Apple acquires another company, HR sets the employees’ date of hire at Apple to their date of hire in the acquired company. So Steve’s start date at Apple would have been the date he founded NeXT, which was immediately after he resigned from Apple in 1985. But since that was within 6 months of when he left Apple, span of service credits him for his first eight years, and he ends up having a start date more or less coincident with the day of incorporation, January 17, 1977.

**** Apple Posts New iPad 2 Advert: “Learn” <http://www.macstories.net/news/apple-posts-new-ipad-2-advert-learn/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+macstoriesnet+%28MacStories%29>
Graham Spencer, MacStories

**** Yoink Takes The Drag Out Of File Dragging <http://www.tuaw.com/2011/09/01/yoink-takes-the-drag-out-of-file-dragging/>
Brett Terpstra, TUAW

**** How To: Check, Untrust And Disable DigiNotar HTTPS/SSL CA Root Certificate On Mac OS X <http://www.io101.org/blog/howto/check-untrust-disable-diginotar-https-ssl-root-ca-certificate-mac-os/>
io101.org

**** Apple Raw Software Update Adds Support For Eight New Cameras <http://www.loopinsight.com/2011/09/01/apple-raw-software-update-adds-support-for-eight-new-cameras/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+loopinsight%2FKqJb+%28The+Loop%29>
Peter Cohen, The Loop

**** Collaborative Learning For The Digital Age <http://chronicle.com/article/Collaborative-Learning-for-the/128789/>
Cathy N. Davidson, The Chronicle Of Higher Education

Attention blindness is the fundamental structuring principle of the brain, and I believe that it presents us with a tremendous opportunity. My take is different from that of many neuroscientists: Where they perceive the shortcomings of the individual, I sense an opportunity for collaboration. Fortunately, given the interactive nature of most of our lives in the digital age, we have the tools to harness our different forms of attention and take advantage of them.

**** The Importance Of Silly Projects <http://engineering.slideshare.net/2011/08/the-importance-of-silly-projects/>
SlideShare Engineering Blog

**** Tempest In An Inkpot <http://www.themorningnews.org/article/tempest-in-an-inkpot>
Graham T. Beck, The Morning News

Don’t be fooled by the hand-lettering trend in movie posters and book covers—cursive is dead. Who cares? A million angry commenters around the web who extol the virtues of loops and curls. But the traditional form has a history that’s less than precious.

**** A Reunion With Boredom <http://www.nybooks.com/blogs/nyrblog/2011/aug/31/hurricane-irene-reunion-with-boredom/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+nybooks+%28The+New+York+Review+of+Books%29>
Charles Simic, The New York Review Of Books

All of this reminded me of the days of my youth when my family, like so many others, lived in a monastic solitude when the weather was bad, since we had no television. It wasn’t in church, but on dark autumn days and winter nights that I had an inkling of what they meant when they spoke about eternity.

**** How To Cook Perfect Minestrone Soup <http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2011/sep/01/how-to-cook-perfect-minestrone-soup>
Felicity Cloake, The Guardian

Given the simplicity of minestrone, the liquid element, in which all the other ingredients are cooked, is supremely important.

**** A Little History Of Philosophy By Nigel Warburton – Review <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/sep/01/little-history-philosophy-warburton-review?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Julian Baggini, The Guardian

Nigel Warburton's elementary guide to philosophers strikes the right balance for smart children and curious adults alike.

**** A Helpful Research In An Unjust Land <http://thinkingbetterthinkingmeta.blogspot.com/2011/09/helpful-research-in-unjust-land.html>
Sam Ho, Sam's Thoughts

You use your bloody privilege of education to enforce continual discrimination against those who are of lesser social and legal privilege.

**** Do Singaporeans Even Look At Their Own Fears? <http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2011/09/01/do-singaporeans-even-look-at-their-own-fears/>
Au Waipeng, Yawning Bread

By the simple measure that art should serve a socially transformative purpose, it may be failing in Singapore. And this failure may mean our politics is stuck in a rut, ancient assumptions unquestioned, old antagonisms unresolved, longstanding fears unbanished. The spectre of OB markers haunt us still. What has long needed to be said remains unsaid.

**** A Worry If PA Thinks Political Rather Than People <http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC110901-0000266/A-worry-if-PA-thinks-political-rather-than-people>
Chan Chi Yung, Today

I fail to see how the PA's stand is in line with oft-stated exhortations to have a harmonious political system. Instead, it feeds the perception that most government bodies are political and controlled by the PAP for partisan interests.

**** Discourage Practice Of COV, Industry Body Urges In Letter <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110901-0000305/Discourage-practice-of-COV,-industry-body-urges-in-letter>
Today

The Singapore Institute of Surveyors and Valuers (SISV) cautioned yesterday - in a statement from its president (valuation and general practice) Lim Lan Yuan - that the practice will lead to a rapid rise in housing prices, encouraged by "exuberant sentiments ahead of economic fundamentals".

**** Why Are PA's Appointed Advisers Exclusively From The PAP? <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_708166.html>
Tan Si An, Straits Times

If the PA and its grassroots officers are blind to political affiliations, why are its appointed advisers exclusively from the PAP?

**** Explain Why Opposition MPs Won't Support Policies <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/OnlineStory/STIStory_707995.html>
Sng Woei Shyong, Straits Times

**** PA Should Give Better Reasons <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/OnlineStory/STIStory_707993.html>
Paul Chan, Straits Times

Can the PA prove that elected MPs from the opposition - were they to be made advisers - would not support government programmes such as anti-dengue and active ageing?

**** Give Voters Due Respect <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/OnlineStory/STIStory_707994.html>
Dennis Tan, Straits Times

By preferring to work with candidates from the People's Action Party (PAP) who have lost the previous election over sitting MPs elected by the people, the PA is not giving citizens due respect.

By working with PA in similar fashion, the HDB is also not respecting the people.

**** Time For An Ombudsman <http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.com/2011/09/time-for-ombudsman.html>
Chua Chin Leng, My Singapore News

**** “Unrealistic” To Hope For Reform With PAP – Chee Soon Juan <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/09/unrealistic-to-hope-for-reform-with-pap-chee-soon-juan/>
The Online Citizen

If the PAP has changed then they’ve done a pretty good job of masquerading it. Yes, some ministers are no longer in the cabinet but these changes are purely cosmetic. It is unrealistic to hope for reform from within the party. The party culture is so autocratic and entrenched that the earth would stop revolving first before we see meaningful change there.

The media are still completely in its hands, our reserves are still tied up in the hands of the few, and the Singaporeans still labour under an economic system that exploits them.

**** Opposition Parties Criticise PA Letter <http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singaporescene/pa-explains-why-opposition-mps-cannot-grassroots-advisers-161613082.html>
Jeanette Tan, Yahoo!

"I can only conclude that the PA is partisan," said Hougang SMC MP Yaw Shin Leong, pointing out that organisation seemed to be equating the government with the ruling People's Action Party (PAP) in its forum letter.

The Singapore People's Party echoed this view. "By choosing not to work with duly elected Opposition MPs, the PA is confirming that it is working for the interest of the PAP, not Singapore," the party's central executive committee said in a statement.

**** Is The Singapore Dollar Becoming A Bubble? <http://seekingalpha.com/article/290977-is-the-singapore-dollar-becoming-a-bubble>
Simit Patel, Seeking Alpha

The "safe haven = liquid currency" formula is alive and well, so I think existing nation-state currencies are likely candidates. These currencies, as they are issued by acknowledged central banks and support an entirely underlying economy, have the market capitalization needed to absorb a rush of speculative capital, and thus will be able to tolerate such inflows for a longer period of time, which in turn creates more accessible opportunities for speculators of all kinds.

**** Building Nations, Dividing People <http://benjamincheah.wordpress.com/2011/09/01/building-nations-dividing-people/>
Benjamin Cheah

Ooi Hui Mei’s letter is based on the assumption that opposition MPs will always oppose the government’s policies. This is profoundly untrue and antidemocratic.

**** Singapore's Democracy In Progress <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111904332804576540230830563192.html>
Wall Street Journal

Singaporeans are increasingly fed up with the arrogance of the PAP. But the party is slow to change.

**** Singapore Divides Over Elite Rule <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424053111904199404576540112740063354.html>
Garry Rodan, Wall Street Journal

But can old dogs learn new tricks? And, if so, how fast? The current complexion of the ruling party's ranks reflects a political culture that cannot be dismantled overnight. What this presidential election appears to have demonstrated, though, is that many who vote for the party seized a rare opportunity to register their preference for a less elitist PAP.

**** Singapore Rising <http://spectator.org/archives/2011/08/31/singapore-rising>
Hal G.P. Colebatch, The American Spectator

The election result shows the people want change, but they want it in a decent, peaceful and democratic manner. From nothing, they have built a little island nation to be proud of, and while further reforms are inevitable, they would be crazy to do anything to imperil that achievement.

**** Singapore's Tiger May No Longer Be On The Prowl <http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/blogs/commercial_aviation/ThingsWithWings/index.jsp?plckController=Blog&plckScript=blogScript&plckElementId=blogDest&plckBlogPage=BlogViewPost&plckPostId=Blog%3A7a78f54e-b3dd-4fa6-ae6e-dff2ffd7bdbbPost%3Ace6bed18-f706-4091-984d-66a207731bc3>
Leithen Francis, Aviation Week

The problem with Davis leaving though, is that he is the one that instigated all the overseas joint-ventures that Tiger is about to embark on, namely the buy-in to Filipino carrier Seair, the tie-up with Indonesia’s Saratoga Group to re-launch defunct Indonesian carrier Manadala Airlines and the move to start Thai-Tiger, a low-cost carrier joint-venture in Bangkok with Thai Airways International.

All of these joint-venture partners know Davis, but they don’t know Chin. And in the case of Saratoga Group and Thai Airways, they may not care to know or want to be associated with SIA.

**** Fear Of Writing: A Commentary On Political Art And Censorship <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/09/fear-of-writing-a-commentary-on-political-art-and-censorship/>
Jewel Philemon, The Online Citizen

**** Making The Ordinary Great: A Tribute To Teachers On Teacher’s Day <http://yeejj.wordpress.com/2011/09/01/making-the-ordinary-great-a-tribute-to-teachers-on-teachers-day/>
Yee Jenn Jong