[MyAppleMenu] Nov 19, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Nov 19 18:59:00 EST 2011

**** Mac 101: Getting iWork Files On Your Mac Onto iCloud <http://www.tuaw.com/2011/11/18/mac-101-getting-iwork-files-on-your-mac-onto-icloud/>
Matt Tinsley, TUAW

**** Chinese App Store Customers Can Now Pay With Yuan <http://www.tuaw.com/2011/11/18/chinese-app-store-customers-can-now-pay-with-yuan/>
Kelly Hodgkins, TUAW

Apple's iTunes Store in China received a major upgrade this week. The store now accepts payment in the local currency, RMB, and lets users replenish their iTunes account using bank cards from over a dozen Chinese banks.

**** AppleCare+ Now Available For Sale Within 30 Days Of iPhone Purchase <http://www.macrumors.com/2011/11/18/applecare-now-available-for-sale-within-30-days-of-iphone-purchase/>
Eric Slivka, MacRumors

**** VMware Fusion Update Lets Users Virtualize Leopard, Snow Leopard <http://www.macworld.com/article/163755/2011/11/vmware_fusion_update_lets_users_virtualize_leopard_snow_leopard.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Jason Snell, Macworld

**** Pixelmator 2.0 Really Roars On Lion <http://www.macnews.com/2011/11/18/pixelmator-20-really-roars-lion>
Dennis Sellers, MacNews

**** How To Uninstall Adobe Flash <http://fairerplatform.com/2011/11/how-to-uninstall-adobe-flash/>
FairerPlatform

If you uninstall Flash, your Mac will use less memory, be more stable and more secure. You will also lose a small portion of the internet (mostly advertising), but the math and weight of history are against Flash.

**** King James Bible <http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2011/12/king-james-bible/nicolson-text/1>
Adam Nicolson, Photograph By Jim Richardson, National Geographic Magazine

First printed 400 years ago, it molded the English language, buttressed the “powers that be”—one of its famous phrases—and yet enshrined a gospel of individual freedom. No other book has given more to the English-speaking world.

**** Sensitivities And Insensitivities <http://ryangoh.wordpress.com/2011/11/18/sensitivities-and-insensitivities/>
Ryan Goh

**** Young PAP To Have More Stringent Checks On Members <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1166320/1/.html>
Joanne Chan, Channel NewsAsia

The youth wing of the People's Action Party (PAP) said it has learnt a lesson from the recent saga, involving a member who posted a racially offensive caption to a photograph on Facebook. The party said it will have more stringent checks of members, including their online behavior.

Zaqy Mohamad, vice chairman of Young PAP, said: "It's a lesson learnt for us, that we have to perhaps do a thorough background check on members. But at the same, you would have to do it at different layers because we have thousands of members. So it's impossible, it would not be wise to do a 100% check on everyone. But as they take up appointments, as they hold senior appointments in the PAP, I think we have to be more stringent as they get up higher."

**** Get Rid Of Obscure, Irrelevant Rules <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_735642.html>
Peter Lim, Straits Times

Why do we have so many laws that are seldom enforced?

**** 兴建公路组屋被征用 梧槽坊居民要求提高赔偿 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp111119_012.shtml>
李静仪, 联合早报

好些居民似乎仍无法接受突如其来的征地消息,也有人对新替代组屋地点不满意,认为建屋局的赔偿不合理,好些人受访时情绪激动,现场颇有火药味。

**** Pushing Bilateral Cooperation <http://thestar.com.my/columnists/story.asp?file=/2011/11/19/columnists/insightdownsouth/9929094&sec=insightdownsouth>
Seah Chiang Nee, The Star

Overcrowded and expensive Singapore lacks the space for business and fun, and this is where the Iskandar development in neighbouring Johor can cash in.

**** New Challenges For Singapore's Opposition <http://www.nst.com.my/opinion/columnist/new-challenges-for-singapore-s-opposition-1.8011>
Santha Oorjitham, New Straits Times

**** I Have My Own View, SBY Tells PM Lee Hsien Loong <http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2011/11/19/i-have-my-own-view-sby-tells-pm-lee-hsien-loong.html>
Nusa Dua, The Jakarta Post

Timor Leste’s application for membership in ASEAN has become a source of difference between Indonesia and Singapore over the last several years, with Yudhoyono showing strong support while Lee expressing firm rejection.

The contention emerged again during the ASEAN leaders’ retreat summit here on Thursday.

**** GovCamp SG – More Than Just A Little Victory. <http://kirstenhan.me/2011/11/19/govcamp-sg-more-than-just-a-little-victory/>
Funny Little World

**** Sacrifice For The Greater Good <http://feedmetothefish.blogspot.com/2011/11/sacrifice-for-greater-good.html>
Feed Me To The Fish

It is more than money that the Rochor residents lose. They get uprooted. Their lives get disrupted. They lose their way of life. They lose the convenience they now have. They lose their freedom of choice, to be where they want to be, to stay put.

**** Relocating Memories – To Save Drivers 5 To 10 Mins <http://andrewlohhp.wordpress.com/2011/11/19/relocating-memories-to-save-drivers-5-to-10-mins/>
Andrew Loh

The government needs – desperately – to no longer use such high-handed tactics on its people. The law may allow it to acquire as and when and where it needs to. But the law – and power – must not be applied without compassion, without understanding that some actions, while legal, do not necessarily mean it is right or without consequences.

And in the case of Rochor, the redevelopment means uprooting families, erasing memories, cancelling out the past, even destroying kinship and severing friendships and community ties.

**** Average Of Five Foreign Workers Go Missing Each Week In S'pore <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1166441/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

**** Some Needy Families Not Seeking Assistance <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_735667.html>
Radha Basu, Straits Times

There is a range of government help available for people at the bottom of the income ladder, but it seems many families in financial straits would rather go it alone than seek assistance.