[MyAppleMenu] Nov 18, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Nov 18 18:59:00 EST 2011

**** Apple Releases 4.4.3 Software Update For Apple TV <http://www.macrumors.com/2011/11/17/apple-releases-4-4-3-software-update-for-apple-tv/>
Eric Slivka, MacRumors

Apple has updated its release notes to reveal that the 4.4.3 update adds support for Netflix streaming in Mexico and an audio output issue when the connected television set is turned off.

**** Daily Mac App: WriteRoom <http://www.tuaw.com/2011/11/17/daily-mac-app-writeroom/>
Michael Rose, TUAW

WriteRoom iOS is among the most comfortable and aesthetically pleasant editors I've tried, though, and for narrative work without a lot of links or Markdown syntax, it's a winner.

**** More iTunes Match Answers: DJ Sets, How To Replace Music, And More <http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2011/11/more-itunes-match-answers-dj-sets-how-to-replace-music-and-more.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss>
Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica

**** How To Clear Custom Application Associations In OS X <http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57326949-263/how-to-clear-custom-application-associations-in-os-x/>
Topher Kessler, CNET

When you open a document or click a link in OS X, the system launches a program that can read it. While OS X provides options to change the programs associated with documents, there is no option to clear all application associations for a file type.

**** Minds Like Machines <http://www.economist.com/node/21538698>
The Economist

Such unconstrained technocracy is no guarantee of good ideas or decisions.

**** Public Housing: Size Does Matter <http://www.todayonline.com/Commentary/EDC111118-0000046/Public-housing--Size-does-matter>
Colin Tan, Today

But providing most Singaporeans with a bigger flat - and I do not mean large - is possible. We can always build higher. As for costs, it is all a matter of tweaking our flat pricing formulas - which I feel are due for a review anyway.

**** Singapore Social Media: Attack Of The Birds And The Bees <http://www.techgoondu.com/2011/11/18/singapore-social-media-attack-of-the-birds-and-the-bees/>
Chan Chi-Loong, Techgoondu

Singaporean youths don’t get their news from a newspaper. They get it by being directly plugged into the social network of twitter and FB.

**** Sweet Treats In Food-Obsessed Singapore <http://blogs.kqed.org/bayareabites/2011/11/17/sweet-treats-in-food-obsessed-singapore/>
Anna Mindess, Bay Area Bites

Yams, red beans, creamed corn, white fungus, grass jelly, black glutinous rice. Perhaps these ingredients don’t immediately conjure up images of tempting sweet treats, but in steamy Singapore—with the addition of shaved ice, fresh fruit, palm sugar, colorful syrups, coconut milk and other goodies—they morph into a medley of exotic desserts.

**** Singapore Exports: 16 Per Cent Drop Signals Poor Christmas For Asian Manufacturers <http://blogs.ft.com/beyond-brics/2011/11/17/singapore-exports-16-per-cent-drop-signalling-a-miserable-christmas-for-asian-manufacturers/#axzz1e0tUe4gQ>
Stefan Wagstyl, Financial Times

That’s a clear as a sign as you could have that manufacturers in south east Asia’s trading hub, and the emerging market economies that surround it, are heading for a miserable Christmas.

**** The Truth Is More Frightening <http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.com/2011/11/truth-is-more-frightening.html>
Chua Chin Leng, My Singapore News

How could a young YPAP activist be so politically insensitive given the party and the country’s stand on extremist views and words that could stir up ugly emotions? How could political activists of any hue and colour, of any political party, be so ignorant and blatant to post hate mails in the net when several have been taken to task by the law.

**** Managing The New Media <http://singaporedesk.blogspot.com/2011/11/managing-new-media.html>
Singapore Notes

**** Jason Neo Controversy: NSP’s Response <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/11/jason-neo-controversy-nsps-response/>
Hazel Poa, National Solidarity Party, The Online Citizen

No organization can monitor everything that each member says, all the time. In fact, this is the very sort of authoritarian and rigidly controlling system that we are trying to move away from.

**** One In 16 In S'pore Has Suffered From Depression <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1166194/1/.html>
Olivia Siong, Channel NewsAsia

One in 16 people in Singapore has suffered from Major Depressive Disorder in their lifetime. This makes depression the most common mental illness in Singapore.

These were the results of the Singapore Mental Health Study conducted in 2010. The study was spearheaded by the Institute of Mental Health.

**** Why Do Some People Have Pensions Whereas Everyone Else Only Have CPF? <http://ayummysliceoflife.wordpress.com/2011/11/18/why-do-some-people-have-pensions-whereas-everyone-else-only-have-cpf/>
A Yummy Slice Of Life

My intuitive sense tells me that the pension scheme is morally and politically untenable. It is morally untenable because it suggests that by virtue of this select group of people having done certain important jobs in the earlier halves of their lives, they get to enjoy the rest of their lies without worries, a league apart from the rest of ordinary human beings. It is politically untenable because the incentives of the overarching system run towards the administrative elite being obedient in preserving the political status quo of PAP dominance. It is not sufficiently separate enough from politics.