[MyAppleMenu] Nov 17, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Nov 17 18:59:00 EST 2011

**** Secrets Of iTunes Match <http://www.macworld.com/article/163676/2011/11/secrets_of_itunes_match.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Lex Friedman, Macworld

With iTunes Match enabled, your iOS device will automatically remove some downloaded songs over time. The algorithm is smart—older and least-played tracks are removed first.

**** Google Search On iPad Is Bad Design <http://scripting.com/stories/2011/11/16/googleSearchOnIpad.html>
Dave Winer, Scripting News

Designers really need to hear the following, loud and clear: The iPad browser is fully capable. It doesn't need you to treat it differently. You're fighting with users when you get fancy. Just stick with what works on the desktop.

**** How To Fix iTunes Match Error Tracks <http://www.macworld.com/article/163675/2011/11/how_to_fix_itunes_match_error_tracks.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Dan Moren, Macworld

**** Camera+ Updated, VolumeSnap Returns At Last <http://www.tuaw.com/2011/11/16/camera-updated-volumesnap-returns-at-last/>
Chris Rawson, TUAW

**** Apple Releases Final Cut Pro 10.0.2 Update <http://www.macrumors.com/2011/11/16/apple-releases-final-cut-pro-10-0-2-update/>
Jordan Golson, MacRumors

**** Say, Can You Make Phone Calls On That Camera? <http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/17/technology/personaltech/add-ons-to-turn-a-smartphone-into-a-semi-pro-camera.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
Nick Bilton, New York Times

Companies are producing dozens of inexpensive smartphone attachments that can easily convert a mobile phone into a mini-professional camera. These products include zoom, fisheye and ultra-up-close macro lenses — all designed to snap onto a smartphone and make photos look as if they were shot with an expensive S.L.R. camera. And for the most part, they are easy to use.

**** Oregon Tests iPads As Aid To Disabled Voters <http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/17/us/oregon-tries-out-voting-by-ipad-for-disabled.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Katharine Q. Seelye, New York Times

Oregon last week became the first state in the country to use iPads to allow people with disabilities to vote, and it intends to use them again for another election in January. Several other states are expected to follow suit with iPads or other tablets, possibly as early as for next year’s presidential election.

**** In Praise Of iTunes Match <http://www.macworld.com/article/163685/2011/11/in_praise_of_itunes_match.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Jason Snell, Macworld

Having my entire music library with me, wherever I go, is more compelling than I thought it would be.

**** EasyFind Is A Free Alternative To Spotlight <http://www.tuaw.com/2011/11/17/easyfind-is-a-free-alternative-to-spotlight/>
TJ Luoma, TUAW

Don't let years of Spotlight's simplistic UI overwhelm you; options and choices are a good thing. Take a minute to see what's available, and just start searching.

**** Parallels Desktop 7 Makes Windows-on-Mac Fast, Stable <http://www.macworld.com/article/163659/2011/11/parallels_desktop_7_makes_windows_on_mac_fast_stable.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Rob Griffiths, Macworld

Parallels 7 is a fast, stable, and highly customizable way to run Windows on a Mac. Although its interface is focused on running Windows on the Mac, it also does well with other operating systems. There are minor issues with the built-in Windows purchasing and defaulting with Windows running as the Administrator, but neither of these are deal breakers.

**** Los Angeles Is Enjoying A Hot Dog Renaissance <http://www.latimes.com/features/food/la-fo-1110-hot-dog-town-20111110,0,431105.story>
Jessica Gelt, Los Angeles Times

Like the burger before it, and in tandem with the current German sausage craze, the hot dog has gone gourmet, with restaurants taking it seriously enough to dream up all kinds of wild combinations.

**** Picking Brand Names In China Is A Business Itself <http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/12/world/asia/picking-brand-names-in-china-is-a-business-itself.html?src=me&ref=general>
Michael Wines, New York Times

After a hard day’s labor, your average upscale Beijinger likes nothing more than to shuck his dress shoes for a pair of Enduring and Persevering, rev up his Precious Horse and head to the pub for a tall, frosty glass of Happiness Power.

Or, if he’s a teetotaler, a bottle of Tasty Fun.

**** So It Went: A New Biography Of Kurt Vonnegut Is A Portrait Of An Artist Who Cultivated A Scruffy Image <http://www.observer.com/2011/11/so-it-went-a-new-biography-of-kurt-vonnegut-is-a-portrait-of-an-artist-who-cultivated-a-scruffy-image/?show=all>
James Camp, The New York Observer

The novelist and master of self-marketing became an icon of the counterculture.

**** How PAP Is Perceived On The Internet ... <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC111117-0000067/How-PAP-is-perceived-on-the-Internet-,,,>
Ng Jing Yng, Today

**** Why URA Adopts Open Tender System <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_734683.html>
Marc Boey, Urban Redevelopment Authority, Straits Times

The reserve price is an important guide for the evaluation process, but it is not applied rigidly. We do award tenders even below the reserve price, but not automatically.

**** Fate Of 4 Conserved Tanjong Katong Blocks In Limbo <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_734864.html>
Jessica Lim, Straits Times

URA offers options to owners of Tanjong Katong buildings, but there is little agreement.

**** SlutWalk Event: Police In Touch With Organisers <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_734863.html>
Tessa Wong, Straits Times

The police have been in contact with the organisers of an anti-sexual violence event called SlutWalk to find out more about their planned outdoor events. That is to establish if permits are needed.

**** 须为南北高速公路“让路” 李姑娘安老院“上诉”要留在原址 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp111117_004.shtml>
李静仪, 联合早报

据知,施工地段只需动用到安老院约10%的设施,主要是厨房和前院用来晒衣服的地方,其他主要建筑将不受影响。因此安老院希望当局能够通融让他们继续留在原址。

**** Singapore’s Exports Slide The Most In 30 Months As Electronics Sales Slump <http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-11-17/singapore-s-exports-slide-the-most-in-30-months-as-electronics-sales-slump.html>
Shamim Adam And Sarina Yoo, Bloomberg

Singapore’s exports fell the most in more than two years in October as a slowing global economy curbed demand for electronics products.

**** Singapore Supports Myanmar's Bid For ASEAN Chair <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/southeastasia/view/1165778/1/.html>
S Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia

"In these matters, you have to make a judgement call and the fact that very positive and substantive steps have been taken in the last year, we believe (it) should be encouraged."

"And I think one significant way of encouraging it is to agree to Myanmar taking up the Chairmanship in 2014 or at least not object to it. Singapore's position is that we support it."

**** Crime And Ambivalence <http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2011/11/17/crime-and-ambivalence/>
Alex Au, Yawning Bread

The police say they fight crime — sounds obvious until we hear a story like this. What do they mean by crime? Not quite what you and I might understand by the term, nor even what our statute books say is a crime. ‘Crime’ seems to mean that which is at variance from political priorities and administrative fiat. If thugs help “cleanse” Singapore of “illegals” — social control being one of Singapore’s top priorities — thuggery and forcible detention are not crimes.

**** Why Are Trains Overcrowded, But Not The Port Or Airport? <http://atans1.wordpress.com/2011/11/17/why-are-trains-overcrowded-but-not-the-port-or-airport/>
Thoughts Of A Cynical Investor

The contrast in the spending patterns seem to show that comfort and well-being of S’poreans are not as important to the government as securing the engines of economic growth?

**** S'pore Refutes "Jakarta Post" Article <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1166049/1/.html>
S Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia

**** Singapore's Development Needs Pluarlism <http://www.yoursdp.org/index.php/news/singapore/5043-singapores-development-needs-pluarlism>
Singapore Democratic Party

In other words, should development be seen purely as a function of how much money there is in the bank or should it include how wealth is made and distributed so that each and every citizen can claim to lead a fulfilling and meaningful life?

**** The Building Of North-South Expressway & Bringing The Soul Of The Singapore City Back <http://singaporeshortstories.blogspot.com/2011/11/building-of-north-south-expressway.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+SingaporeShortStories+%28SINGAPORE+SHORT+STORIES%29>
Singapore Short Stories

Stop economizing our landscape into one characterised by air-conditioned, cold metallic mega-structures which are built for economic value!

**** Young PAP Member Quits Over Offensive Remarks On Facebook <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1166078/1/.html>
Esther Ng, Today

A Young People's Action Party (YP) member who posted "insensitive" remarks - in his own words - on his Facebook page has resigned, following an online furore. Mr Jason Neo has also issued an apology on his Facebook page.

Nevertheless, the incident raises question marks on the screening process carried out by political parties on potential members.