[MyAppleMenu] Nov 16, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Nov 16 18:59:00 EST 2011

**** Day One Is A Polished Journaling Tool <http://www.macworld.com/article/163627/2011/11/day_one_is_a_polished_journaling_tool.html#lsrc.rss_main>
David Chartier, Macworld

Day One is a journaling app that focuses on making it easy to jot down private thoughts, ideas, or anything else you want to keep for posterity, and revisit it all down the road. The program offers a unique, yet straightforward and polished interface for creating entries, as well as calendar tools for revisiting recent entries or quickly flipping back through the months.

**** Levinson Becomes Chairman, Iger Joins Apple Board Of Directors <http://www.macworld.com/article/163643/2011/11/levinson_becomes_chairman_iger_joins_apple_board_of_directors.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Dan Moren, Macworld

Apple has announced that Arthur Levinson has been appointed chairman of the company’s board of directors. The role, which was previously held by Apple co-founder Steve Jobs upon his resignation as chief executive officer, has been vacant since Jobs died last month. Disney CEO Bob Iger has also been named to the board.

**** Once Wary, Apple Warms Up To Business Market <http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/16/technology/businesses-too-have-eyes-for-ipads-and-iphones.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
Nick Wingfield, New York Times

While corporate technology buyers say Apple does not try to hide the fact that consumers are still its top priority, they note that the company has gotten easier to work with in recent years, adding features to its devices that make them more palatable to business. It also doesn’t hurt that Apple’s new chief executive, Timothy D. Cook, is known to be far more at ease meeting with the C.I.O.’s Mr. Jobs once so memorably disparaged.

**** iTunes Match: Your Questions Answered <http://arstechnica.com/apple/guides/2011/11/itunes-match-your-questions-answered.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss>
Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica

But the service isn't necessarily as straightforward as it seems, and there are plenty of questions floating around about how, exactly, Apple determines which songs to "match," which to upload, and which to leave behind. We put together the answers to some of the most common questions and problems we've seen so far in hopes of clearing up confusion about how iTunes Match does and doesn't work.

**** Review: Adobe CS5.5 <http://www.applelinks.com/index.php/more/review_adobe_cs55/>
Gary Coyne, Applelinks

**** Encrypt Your USB Flash Drives, External USB Drives Or SD Cards <http://www.cultofmac.com/129839/encrypt-your-usb-flash-drives-external-usb-drives-or-sd-cards-os-x-tips/>
David W. Martin, Cult Of Mac

**** iTunes Match: What You Need To Know <http://www.macworld.com/article/163658/2011/11/itunes_match_what_you_need_to_know.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Serenity Caldwell, Macworld

Here are some of the most common queries, concerns, and misconceptions about Apple’s music service, laid out for your reading pleasure.

**** Six Unexpected Uses For The Application Switcher <http://www.macworld.com/article/159921/2011/11/appswitcher.html>
Sharon Zardetto, Macworld

**** How Applidium Reverse Engineered Siri's Protocol <http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2011/11/a-look-at-how-applidium-reverse-engineered-siris-protocol.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss>
Ryan Paul, Ars Technica

Any Siri client will have to include a key from an actual iPhone 4S in order to operate. If a developer embeds a key in a Siri client application that is widely distributed to users, Apple could simply disable the application by locking out that key.

It’s clear that Apple’s decision to limit Siri to the iPhone 4S and not roll it out to previous iterations of the device was not motivated by the hardware constraints of older iPhones. That means it’s still theoretically possible for Apple to make the feature available to older iPhones in a future update.

**** How Do I Remove Data From My Old Mac Before Passing It Along? <http://www.cultofmac.com/130106/how-do-i-remove-data-from-my-old-mac-before-passing-it-along-ask-macrx/>
Adam Rosen, Cult Of Mac

**** Can ‘Serendipity’ Be A Business Model? Consider Twitter <http://www.wired.com/epicenter/2011/11/serendipity-ads-twitter/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+wired%2Findex+%28Wired%3A+Index+3+%28Top+Stories+2%29%29>
Tim Carmody, Wired

**** Learning About Work Ethic From My High School Driving Instructor <http://www.theatlantic.com/life/archive/2011/11/learning-about-work-ethic-from-my-high-school-driving-instructor/248339/?single_page=true>
James Somers, The Atlantic

"Work ethic" seems like one of those chunks. It elicits a halo of simple images: a man hunched over a desk, staying late, furrowing his brow. The "work" part dominates. One forgets the word "ethic" is in there.

**** The Grapes Of Roth <http://www.tabletmag.com/arts-and-culture/books/83205/the-grapes-of-roth/>
Liel Leibovitz, Tablet

Philip Roth’s legacy of writerly narcissism left a generation of young novelists with the wrong idea of what makes great literature.

**** MediaCorp Has Full Video Footage: Clerk Of Parliament <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_734340.html>
Ng Sheau Jiuan, Clerk Of Parliament, Straits Times

For its TV and online coverage use, MediaCorp has the full video footage of each sitting and the extent of news coverage is a media decision. Videos of entire speeches made by Members of Parliament can now be viewed online at MediaCorp's Channel NewsAsia website (channelnewsasia.com).

For verbatim records of these speeches, the Singapore Parliament Reports are published on our website (parliament.gov.sg) and LawNet (lawnet.com.sg) within a week after the end of proceedings.

**** SASW Owes Public An Explanation On Award Fiasco <http://www.publichouse.sg/categories/topstory/item/243-sasw-owes-public-an-explanation-on-award-fiasco>
Andrew Loh, Publichouse.sg

The SASW owes the public – and Mr Wham – a more truthful (and convincing) explanation. What it has offered so far does not make sense – at all.

**** Ministers Discuss The Viability Of Common Visa <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC111116-0000045/Ministers-discuss-the-viability-of-common-visa>
S Ramesh, Today

The implementation of a common ASEAN visa for non-ASEAN citizens was among the topics discussed by the grouping's foreign ministers yesterday. The ministers were meeting ahead of the ASEAN Leaders Summit which begins tomorrow.

**** An Entire Nation Held Hostage By The Property Market <http://www.sgpolitics.net/?p=7217>
Ng E-Jay, Sgpolitics.net

Our property market has created a chasm, a deep divide in society. Owners of commercial property and other landlords have the ability to increase rentals dramatically because of the government policy of asset price appreciation. When rentals increase, businesses have no choice but to pass the increased costs to consumers. It is the man on the street who suffers. It is the students, the housewives, the elderly and the poor, who bear the brunt of an increased cost of living.

**** Herr And Madame, Señor And Mrs <http://www.economist.com/node/21538103?fsrc=scn/tw/te/ar/herrandmadamesenorandmrs>
The Economist

**** MRT Overcrowding Shows A Startling Lack Of Planning <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/11/mrt-overcrowding-shows-a-startling-lack-of-planning/>
Terry Xu, The Online Citizen

Population growth didn’t just happen overnight.

**** More Than 500 Homes To Make Way For Highway <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_734433.html>
Christopher Tan, Straits Times

**** LTA And Vogon-ish Road Building <http://thevoiddeck.wordpress.com/2011/11/15/lta-and-vogon-ish-road-building/>
The Void Deck

**** Police To Boost Patrols: No More An “Invisible” Force? <http://rogerpoh.wordpress.com/2011/11/15/police-to-boost-patrols-no-more-an-invisible-force/>
SpotlightOnSingapore

Let’s hope the days of an “invisible” police force are over.

**** Another One Bites The Dust <http://singaporedesk.blogspot.com/2011/11/another-one-bites-dust.html>
Singapore Notes

If accessibility is available by rail, why build roads to service the same locations? The LTA has made plain their intent cut the number of cars on the road, yet they embark on the exercise to shave driving time from the north to the city by 5 minutes.

**** Is Singapore Too Cautious For Its Own Good? <http://talksensepr.wordpress.com/2011/11/16/is-singapore-too-cautious-for-its-own-good/>
Talk Sense Pte. Ltd.

**** Singapore Eyes Madera County Produce <http://abclocal.go.com/kfsn/story?section=news/ag_watch&id=8433638>
KFSN

**** That Article On The Senior Citizen <http://www.raviphilemon.net/2011/11/that-article-on-senior-citizen.html>
Ravi Philemon

Let me say here why I wrote that article. I wrote it because I was angry.

**** Protecting Our Commons <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/11/protecting-our-commons/>
William S.W. Lim And Faith Wong, The Online Citizen

The Save Old School (SOS) campaign began as an effort to save an alma mater but really concerns the land use and development of the Mount Sophia site, an area that is in the process of being transformed into a high-end residential district. This is yet another contestation that foreshadows the insidious losing of our Commons. It is not about deciding which buildings are more deserving of conservation but whether any building should be torn down for redevelopment at all, versus say refurbishment and retrofitting. For BBC, it is not how the graves should be researched or archived, but whether the site should be preserved and improved as a memorable public space. These urban contestations form part of the fight to protect the Commons. One should not mistake these efforts as reserved only for sentimental conservation buffs and idealistic dreamers; they are matters that concern us all.

**** 走访新加坡中国陪读妈妈 <http://news.ouhua.info/chinese/2011/11/15/1531838.html>
沈越, 中国新闻网

虽然移民与关卡局没有明文规定,不过在中国陪读妈妈之间流传着这样的说法:孩子只要过了16岁,或是考取了O水准或N水准,陪读妈妈的长期社交访问签证就不会再被更新。换言之,妈妈就不能再以陪读的名义留在新加坡。

**** Social Media Had An Impact On General Election: Teo Ser Luck <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC111116-0000146/Social-media-had-an-impact-on-General-Election--Teo-Ser-Luck>
Ng Jing Yng, Today

He explained that opinions were spread rapidly and influencing people through social media during the course of the elections.

**** Highly Racist And Offensive Caption – YPAP Member? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/11/highly-racist-and-offensive-caption-ypap-member/>
Jewel Philemon, The Online Citizen

A TOC reader, Mr Noor Firdaus was so irked by the photo above which was captioned with a highly racist and offensive remark that he wrote in to a few MPs requesting that they ask Mr Neo to take that picture down. Mr Firdaus claims that the picture with the highly offensive caption was posted on the Facebook of a Young PAP member Jason Neo.