[MyAppleMenu] Nov 15, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Nov 15 18:59:00 EST 2011

**** Hands On With iTunes Match <http://www.macworld.com/article/163604/2011/11/hands_on_with_itunes_match.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Dan Moren, Macworld

So, now that the feature is actually available, what can you expect? I’ve had some time to take iTunes Match for a spin, so here’s a look at what it’s all about.

**** Toggle Between iTunes Match And Local Syncing <http://www.macworld.com/article/163607/2011/11/toggle_between_itunes_match_and_local_syncing.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Lex Friedman, Macworld

**** iTunes Match: Many Apple IDs Under One iCloud <http://www.macworld.com/article/163610/2011/11/itunes_match_many_apple_ids_under_one_icloud.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Serenity Caldwell, Macworld

Any computer that is authorized to play protected iTunes music can add that music to iTunes Match. This is the case even if the Apple ID being used for iTunes Match isn’t the same one that was used to buy the music.

**** Core Found Something, But It Wasn’t A Sandboxing Security Hole <http://www.loopinsight.com/2011/11/14/core-found-something-but-it-wasnt-a-sandboxing-security-hole/>
Jim Dalrymple, The Loop

What Core uncovered was a mechanism that’s only used by Apple for its internal system daemons. This isn’t something that developers would actually use for an application, so it doesn’t affect them — or the user — at all.

**** How To Upgrade Tracks To iTunes Match, Fast <http://www.macworld.com/article/163620/2011/11/how_to_upgrade_tracks_to_itunes_match_fast.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Jason Snell, Macworld

**** IconSettings Gives You Simple Control Of Your iDevice Without Jailbreaking <http://www.engadget.com/2011/11/14/iconsettings-gives-you-simple-control-of-your-idevice-without-ja/>
Terrence O'Brien, Engadget

IconSettings lets you quickly access or toggle various settings on your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch, provided its running iOS 5. Setting it up is as simple as saving a bookmark to your home screen.

**** iTunes Update Addresses Man-in-the-middle Vulnerability <http://www.macworld.com/article/163629/2011/11/itunes_update_addresses_man_in_the_middle_vulnerability.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Lucian Constantin, Macworld

Apple’s iTunes 10.5.1 update addresses a weakness in the application’s update mechanism that could be exploited to trick users into visiting malicious websites.

**** HTML5: A Look Behind The Technology Changing The Web <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203537304577030033160849296.html>
Don Clark, Wall Street Journal

**** Slow Eaters Think They Are Morally Superior. But They've Lost Their Appetite For Life <http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/nov/13/slow-eaters-bad-habits-jay-rayner>
Jay Rayner, The Guardian

They will claim it makes them healthier. But that's absurd.

**** How Much More Does A Steak Dinner Cost Today? <http://www.theawl.com/2011/11/how-much-more-does-a-steak-dinner-cost-today>
Brent Cox, The Awl

Maybe the broadening of the appeal of the steak dinner away from the exclusive province of sawdust and testosterone has enabled the purveyors of steak dinners to seek a more attractive profit margin. Or maybe this is a trend in restaurants in general. Or in life. But yes, your steak dinner costs more than your parents’ at your age, and more again than for your grandparents before them.

**** Oh, The Places We Could Go <http://www.nytimes.com/2011/11/15/science/beyond-planet-earth-museum-review-oh-the-places-we-could-go.html?_r=1>
Dennis Overbye, New York Times

The idea of the space program as a museum show seemed wildly and gloomily appropriate when I first heard about it. We think of museums as being for old dead things, and the space program, at least the American space program, seems ready for its own diorama as the space shuttle shuts down, the Moon landings recede into ancient history, and space science is slowly dismantled by a prairie fire of budget cutting and wild cost overruns in the few programs that are left.

Luckily we don’t have to relive that. The idea of the exhibition is to look forward 50 or 100 years, not back, said Michael Shara, the curator of the show. “We’re at a crossroads,” he said. “We have to decide what to do when we grow up. Where is the vision?”

**** Alan The Plumber <http://www.slate.com/articles/arts/poem/2011/11/_alan_the_plumber_by_patrick_phillips_.html>
Patrick Phillips, Slate

**** So What Is The 'Right Price'? <http://www.todayonline.com/Commentary/EDC111115-0000003/So-what-is-the-right-price?>
Conrad Raj, Today

For a State that often talks about transparency and letting market forces decide prices, I find the arguments somewhat strange. Why are market forces not allowed to operate in the business of land sales?

**** When Silence Is Not Golden: A Reflection On Two Singaporean Prize Winners <http://www.yoursdp.org/index.php/perspective/vantage/5038-when-silence-is-not-golden-reflection-on-two-singaporean-prize-winners>
Vincent Wijeysingha, Singapore Democratic Party

**** Unruly Internet? Avoid Panic Reactions! <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/11/unruly-internet-avoid-panic-reactions/>
Ghui, The Online Citizen

It is not the so called “unreliable” statements that is the point. The point is that people are frustrated and need a means to express their feelings. An open acknowledgement by the government and a public “understanding” of why the internet is “unruly” would go a long way.

**** Big Boys Preferred <http://singaporedesk.blogspot.com/2011/11/big-boys-preferred.html>
Singapore Notes

**** Controversial Withdrawal Of Award To Social Worker <http://www.publichouse.sg/categories/topstory/item/232-controversial-withdrawal-of-award-to-social-worker>
Andrew Loh, Publichouse.sg

**** How Did We Grow So Big So Fast? <https://dailybreaks.wordpress.com/2011/11/13/how-did-we-grow-so-big-so-fast/>
Daily Breaks

**** Parading Elephants Vandalized In Singapore? <http://blogs.wsj.com/searealtime/2011/11/15/parading-elephants-vandalized-in-singapore/?mod=google_news_blog>
Gaurav Raghuvanshi, Wall Street Journal

The city state, known for its squeaky clean image, faces the embarrassing prospect of someone having defaced two of the 162 elephant statues placed around town as part of the Elephant Parade exhibition that started last week.

**** Singapore In Yet Another Recession? <http://www.youngpap.org.sg/2011/11/singapore-in-yet-another-recession/>
N. Shoba, Young PAP

As Singapore enters into yet another time of uncertainty, short term as well as long term strategies must be established to further promote financial awareness.

**** Counting Down 30 Days <http://judeandserene.blogspot.com/2011/11/counting-down-30-days.html>
Ghetto Of Our Mind

And then tonight, in a spur of inspiration, Jude decided he was going to make char kway teow, a much beloved fried noodle dish from home. Greasy, sweet, savory, and pungent- char kway teow encapsulates all things yummy about Singaporean hawker food.

**** Public Transport And Queueing Systems <http://convexset.blogspot.com/2011/11/public-transport-and-queueing-systems.html>
Convex Set

The road network is what we need to watch out for. We need real engineers in charge of such systems. This is important.

**** Prison Island Singapore <http://pikuchoo.blogspot.com/2011/11/prison-island-singapore.html>
Welcome to the Fewture

It is ironic that in a country that pioneered or at least adopted the open concept zoo to encourage animals to breed, the orangutan Ah Meng likely lived in more spacious quarters than most Singaporeans today.

**** SingTel Launches Skoob, Singapore's First E-book Service <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_734109.html>
Straits Times

**** Discrimination In Singapore Is No Laughing Matter <http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.com/2011/11/discrimination-in-singapore-is-no.html>
Chua Chin Leng, My Singapore News

**** Hanging Up The Hanging Rope <http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2011/11/15/hanging-up-the-hanging-rope/>
Alex Au, Yawning Bread

Having pounded the table and telling the rest of the world to stay out of Singapore’s domestic affairs, to repeal the mandatory death penalty would mean eating its own words. Pride does not allow that.

So what does it do? It ducks and takes the cowardly route — how often pride comes with cowardice! Never mind if the law is brought into disrepute by such arbitrariness. Once again, public decisions in Singapore are made in the interest of saving face regardless of the damage it does to institutions.

**** New Expressway Sparks Big Land Acquisition <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1165553/1/.html>
Hetty Musfirah, Channel NewsAsia

The government has announced the full alignment for the 21.5-kilometre-long North-South Expressway (NSE), with the southern segment unveiled on Tuesday.

Two full lots and 21 partials lots will be acquired. They include four HDB blocks of flats at Rochor Centre which has been around since 1977.

**** Ministers’ Salaries & Pensions <http://atans1.wordpress.com/2011/11/15/ministers-salaries-pensions/>
Thoughts Of A Cynical Investor

**** The David Versus Goliath Battle For Singapore’s Soul <http://ayummysliceoflife.wordpress.com/2011/11/15/the-david-versus-goliath-battle-for-singapores-soul/>
A Yummy Slice Of Life

First, Singapore needs civil society leaders more than ever to solve collective action problems and organize clear alternative proposals. Second, civil society leaders need to pre-empt sites of contention and formulate alternative proposals prior to them surfacing to the public sphere, instead of being reactionary to the government’s announced plans.

**** ST’s Subliminal Messaging And PAP <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/11/st’s-subliminal-messaging-and-pap/>
Ravi Philemon, The Online Citizen