[MyAppleMenu] May 21, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat May 21 18:59:00 EDT 2011

**** Bugs & Fixes: Using iTunes' Restore From Backup Command <http://www.macworld.com/article/159991/2011/05/restore_from_backup.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Ted Landau, Macworld

**** Skinning Twitterrific For Mac <http://www.macworld.com/article/159972/2011/05/skinning_twitterrific_mac.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Jason Snell, Macworld

Let me be clear: What follows is crazy stuff. Don’t do it if you’re not comfortable with cracking open a package and editing XML files. And make a backup copy of the app first. But if you’re curious about taking Twitterrific and modifying it, here’s how.

**** HTML5 Animation Tool Hype Debuts <http://www.macworld.com/article/159996/2011/05/hype_wysiwyg_editor_for_html5.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Serenity Caldwell, Macworld

Tumult’s Hype offers creative professionals an easy-to-use WYSIWIG editor for creating interactive Websites, animations, and more, all encoded in HTML5.

**** Apple Says Working With Foxconn To Explore Cause Of China Explosion <http://mobilized.allthingsd.com/20110520/apple-says-working-with-foxconn-to-explore-cause-of-china-explosion/>
Ina Fried, All Things Digital

“We are deeply saddened by the tragedy at Foxconn’s plant in Chengdu, and our hearts go out to the victims and their families,” Apple said in a statement provided to All Things D. “We are working closely with Foxconn to understand what caused this terrible event.”

**** EFF: Apple Needs To Defend Its Developers <http://news.cnet.com/8301-27076_3-20064870-248.html>
Josh Lowensohn, CNET

The Electronic Frontier Foundation has called Apple out for not responding fast enough, or at all, to a developing legal situation that's got some iOS developers spooked.

**** Apple Order Status System Down Until May 22 <http://www.tuaw.com/2011/05/21/apple-order-status-system-down-until-may-22/>
Michael Grothaus, TUAW

**** Pete Hamill’s Tabloid Thriller <http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/22/books/review/book-review-tabloid-city-by-pete-hamill.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
John Darnton, New York Times

Granted, as silver linings go this may be scant consolation, but the decline and demise of newspapers seems to be ushering in a raft of good novels by journalists who miss the old ink and newsprint. Reporters harking back to footloose times are not new (think of Evelyn Waugh’s “When the Going Was Good”), but now that end days may actually be upon us, we may be facing a complete subgenre: Où sont les news d’antan? We’ve already had Tom Rachman’s book “The Imperfectionists.” Now comes Pete Hamill’s “Tabloid City,” which sets a high bar for those that follow.

**** Poetry Puzzles <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/may/21/poetry-puzzles-john-fuller?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
John Fuller, The Guardian

Who is Ozymandias? Why is Coleridge's Lime-Tree Bower his prison? And what is the proper spelling of The Waste Land? The solving of a poem's puzzles is one poetry's greatest pleasures.

**** The Girl In The Polka-dot Dress <http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/c1d2cdf4-8267-11e0-8c49-00144feabdc0.html?ftcamp=rss>
Mark Bostridge, Financial Times

The power of this remarkable short novel remains long after one has finished it. It also renews our sense of literature’s loss at Beryl Bainbridge’s death.

**** Episodes The Singaporean History Textbooks Forgot. <http://kirstenhan.me/2011/05/21/episodes-the-singaporean-history-textbooks-forgot/>
Funny Little World

And so today, on the 24th anniversary of Operation Spectrum, I hope that with all the reform and change that is happening within the PAP, with promises of a more inclusive and open political party that listens to the people, we will be able to find out the truth about these episodes of Singapore’s history.

I hope that we will no longer try to pretend that these things never happened, but face them head on, learn from them, and make a commitment to make sure they never happen again.

**** Singapore Reeling From Murder Spree, Drug Scourge <http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2011/05/21/singapore-reeling-from-murder-spree-drug-scourge/>
Au Waipang, Yawning Bread

Life imprisonment is too good for these criminals, our compatriots say. It’s also an utter waste of state resources feeding the low-life. Hang them!

And yet, something changed. It was international pressure wasn’t it? Yeah, it works.

**** 21 May 1987 <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/05/21-may-1987/>
The Online Citizen

**** Diaspora And Development: A Chinese Take On Singapore <http://www.worldcrunch.com/diaspora-and-development-chinese-take-singapore/3123>
Tao Duanfang, Worldcrunch

Because of Lee, the Chinese have often consciously and unconsciously regarded Singapore as part of the Chinese family. They are irritated when Singapore makes “anti-Chinese” comments and thrilled when efforts are made there to stress Chinese identity. What the Chinese forget, however, is that the Singapore Republic is a sovereign and independent country. And they forget that when Lee Kuan Yew talks, whether it is to emphasize or downplay links to China, he does so with Singapore in mind – not China. As Singapore’s founder and first citizen, his actions and words have always had one goal in mind, to optimize Singapore’s advantages.

**** Singapore Ushers In A New Dawn <http://thestar.com.my/columnists/story.asp?col=insightdownsouth&file=/2011/5/21/columnists/insightdownsouth/8720744&sec=Insight%20Down%20South>
Seah Chiang Nee, The Star

His exit has unleashed a new sense of purpose in the younger PAP leadership, which was gathering public unpopularity for talking a lot but not listening.

**** Singapore’s Minister Mentor Steps Down But Not Out <http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/asia-pacific/singapores-minister-mentor-steps-down-but-not-out/article2030582/>
Mark Mackinnon, The Globe And Mail

The $300 fine for spitting remains in place, but most here have lost their worries about saying what they think. “We still prefer the ruling party, but in a true democracy you need some opposition,” said Patrick Lee, a retired communications consultant. “Lee Kuan Yew did a very good job in the past. But there comes a time when everybody outlives their usefulness."

**** The Little Article That Rocked Singapore <http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/asia-pacific/the-little-article-that-rocked-singapore/article2030575/>
Mark Mackinnon, The Globe And Mail

Catherine Lim still can’t believe the fuss she caused. The idea that she helped provoke a quiet revolution in this city-state – one that 17 years later has shaken the ruling People’s Action Party to its foundations – reduces the pixyish 68-year-old to shoulder-shaking giggles.

**** Singapore Elections: The Opposition’s Growing Role – Analysis <http://www.eurasiareview.com/singapore-elections-the-oppositions-growing-role-analysis-20052011/>
Sripathi Narayanan, Eurasia Review

Though this election was not significant per se, but there are two developments that need to be taken note of. First is the presence of the opposition, both in their participation in the election and now in the Parliament. The second is the growing resentment of the people towards the PAP-led government’s general high handedness accompanied by its shortcomings, which was reflected in the election results.

**** When Does A City Become A Home? <http://www.thegreencorridor.org/2011/05/21/when-does-a-city-become-a-home/>
Tom Keeble, The Green Corridor

**** What Lee Hsien Loong Didn't Say About The ISA <http://classic3.yoursdp.org/index.php/perspective/vantage/1062-pap-governement-invokes-the-spectre-of-isa>
Gandhi Ambalam, Singapore Democratic Party

Back home, it is just as clear that the ISA has no place in society regardless of how Mr Lee Hsien Loong spins it. The sooner we are rid of it, the sooner Singapore can move ahead and develop into a truly democratic and confident nation.

**** Election Shocker, Now A Cabinet Cracker <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/05/election-shocker-now-a-cabinet-cracker/>
PN Balji, The Online Citizen

The PM has time on his hands. He has the next five years to show that he and his new team have learnt the lessons of the 2011 general election. If he does not move boldly and transform the ruling party and his government, the voter backlash will not just be in the form of ripples. The political oasis called Singapore will see a storm, maybe even a tsunami.

**** Temasek Holdings – “Not Required” To Disclose? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/05/temasek-holdings-not-required-to-disclose/>
Leong Sze Hian, The Online Citizen

**** The Prophetic Singapore Poll Predictions <http://www.pressrun.net/weblog/2011/05/the-prophetic-singapore-poll-predictions.html>
Pressrun.net

**** Agonising Road To Victory For WP’s Low <http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singaporescene/agonising-road-victory-wp-low-043948057.html>
Yahoo!

"Because if we fail, we're not only failing the Workers' Party, but also the aspirations of Singaporeans. So we must not fail," he added.

**** A Political Commentary In The Form Of A Play <http://catherinelim.sg/2011/05/21/island-a-play/>
Catherine Lim

It is a measure of my continuing fascination with Lee Kuan Yew that I wanted to explore one aspect of his post GE 2011 situation that can never be represented through formal exposition. This is the psychological dimension which is clearly the most complex—and the most engrossing—because it deals with the impossibly vast, constantly changing landscape of human emotions, passions, needs and motives, which the political commentary, constrained by fact and logic, can never capture.

**** Apple Should Protect Its Developers (And Users) <http://scripting.com/stories/2011/05/21/yesAppleShouldProtectItsDe.html>
Dave Winer, Scripting News

Apple is the strong party, they're the deep pockets, and they're the ones with the most to lose if developers can't develop for and users can't use their products.

**** A Visit To Singapore's Vibrant, Growing Startup Community <http://blog.chrometa.com/a-visit-to-singapores-vibrant-growing-startup>
Chrometa

How'd Singapore do it? By being friendly to business and encouraging economic growth and development.

**** MP "Horrified" After Bus Spot Checks <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1130284/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

Mr Lim told Channel NewsAsia he was "horrified" that three bus services -- 158, 12 and 197 -- took half an hour to arrive, and said he has written to the Public Transport Council.

**** Committee Set Up To Review Singapore Ministerial Pay <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1130296/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

The committee will be headed by National Kidney Foundation (NKF) chairman Gerard Ee.

**** S’poreans And PR Job Stats – Making No Sense <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/05/s’poreans-and-pr-job-stats-–-making-no-sense/>
Leong Sze Hian, The Online Citizen

**** Woodlands Residents Voice Anger <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_671225.html>
Jessica Lim, Straits Times

The police received a call at about 10am last Monday about a body found in the tank. Water supply to the block was cut off an hour later, after which residents were handed notices that said maintenance work was being done. But many said they still consumed the water from the affected tank, the residual amount left in the pipes, till as late as 5pm that day.