[MyAppleMenu] May 4, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed May 4 18:59:00 EDT 2011

**** Boom Turns Your Mac's Volume Up To 11 (Maybe 12) <http://www.macnews.com/2011/05/03/boom-turns-your-macs-volume-11-maybe-12>
MacNews

If you've ever found yourself dealing with low audio output on a Mac (more common on laptops with their small speakers than desktops such as the iMac), Global Delight's Boom will boost the audio volume. Significantly, as in up to 400%.

**** iPad 'If You Asked' TV Ad Aims For The Heartstrings, Fails To Miss <http://www.tuaw.com/2011/05/03/ipad-if-you-asked-tv-ad-aims-for-the-heartstrings-fails-to-mi/>
Michael Rose, TUAW

**** Apple iMac 27-inch (3.1GHz, Spring 2011) <http://reviews.cnet.com/desktops/apple-imac-27-inch/4505-3118_7-34662591.html#reviewPage1>
Rich Brown, CNET

A fast new Intel CPU and an AMD graphics chip provide Apple's new 27-inch iMac with competitive performance for its price, and the advent of Thunderbolt offers the iMac the potential for exciting peripheral devices later this year. Apple seems less concerned with engaging family users than some of its Windows-based all-in-one competition, but for digital media professionals, or others in need of a fast, serious-minded all-in-one with a large display, we can make no other recommendation.

**** A Disoriented Senior Minister <http://singaporerecalcitrant.blogspot.com/2011/05/disoriented-senior-minister.html>
Singapore Recalcitrant

SM Goh can say that this subject had been debated in Parliament but does he honestly believe that with the PAP dominance any useful outcome will come out of these parliamentary debates? The two opposition MPs and one NCMP were easily overwhelmed by the sheer force of the PAP MPs. Any arguments the three opposition MPs were able to put through were like voices in the wilderness. This incidentally could be one of the issues that acts as a catalyst for the electors to want to see more opposition MPs being voted into Parliament to provide more opposition voices as a check and balance to the PAP government.

On his shabby treatment of the Singapore Democratic Party (SDP) scholar candidate Tan Jee Say, SM Goh could have shown more civility. There was no justification for him and MM Lee to denigrate Tan on his civil service credentials especially when it was proved that the attacks were all misconceived.

**** Apple's OS X Server Strategy: Data Centers For Everyone <http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9216383/Apple_s_OS_X_server_strategy_Data_centers_for_everyone?source=rss_operatingsystems&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+computerworld%2Fs%2Ffeed%2Ftopic%2F123+%28Computerworld+Mac+OS+News%29>
Ryan Faas, Computerworld

Now we know that Lion Server will be built into Lion itself, meaning that Mac OS X Server's code, functionality and services will be bundled with the client OS. Lion Server as a separate entity is gone, but its inclusion in Lion means that a lot more users will get a chance to try it out -- either at home or in the office.

**** iMac 21.5″ (EMC 2428) Teardown <http://www.ifixit.com/blog/blog/2011/05/04/imac-21-5-emc-2428-teardown/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ifixit%2Fblog+%28iFixit+Blog%29>
iFixit

**** Use Automator To Shoot A Time-lapse Movie <http://www.macworld.com/article/159412/2011/05/automator_timelapse.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

**** Apple Releases iOS 4.3.3 To Patch Location Bugs <http://www.macworld.com/article/159643/2011/05/ios433_location_fixes.html>
Dan Moren, Macworld

As Apple promised in its location Q&A last week, iOS 4.3.3 addresses three bugs related to the database of location information on iOS devices. Firstly, it reduces the amount of the cached location information to a week’s worth, rather than relying on a size limit, as it previously did. Secondly, it no longer backs up the cache to your Mac or PC via iTunes upon syncing, so the information isn’t available to anyone with access to your computer. And finally, the cache is now deleted from the device when Location Services are disabled in iOS’s Settings app. Apple has also announced plans to encrypt the location information on iOS devices itself in the next major update to the operating system, which presumably refers to iOS 5.

**** Apple's New Thunderbolt iMacs Include Unreleased Intel Z68 Chipset <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/05/04/apples_new_thunderbolt_imacs_include_unreleased_intel_z68_chipset.html>
Katie Marsal, AppleInsider

The new iMac all-in-one desktops released this week include Intel's yet-to-be-released Z68 chipset, which could allow faster solid-state drive caching performance in the future.

**** The Joy Of Researching The Health Benefits Of Sex <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704569404576298953365120630.html>
Melinda Beck, Wall Street Journal

A flurry of small studies suggest that sex is as good for your health as vitamin D and broccoli. It not only relieves stress, improves sleep and burns calories, it can also reduce pain, ease depression, strengthen blood vessels, boost the immune system and lower the risk of prostate and breast cancer.

But many of those studies rely on people to remember and report their sexual activity honestly and many can't distinguish between cause and effect. That is, does sex make people healthier or do healthier people have more sex?

**** The Secret Life Of Libraries <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/may/01/the-secret-life-of-libraries>
Bella Bathurst, The Guardian

You can tell a lot about people from the kind of books they steal. Every year, the public library service brings out a new batch of statistics on their most-pilfered novelists – Martina Cole, James Patterson, Jacqueline Wilson, JK Rowling. But in practice, different parts of Britain favour different books. Worksop likes antiques guides and hip-hop biographies. Brent prefers books on accountancy and nursing, or the driving theory test. Swansea gets through a lot of copies of the UK Citizenship Test. In Barnsley, it's Mig welding and tattoos ("I've still no idea what Mig welding is," says Ian Stringer, retired mobile librarian for the area. "The books always got taken before I could find out.") And Marylebone Library in London has achieved a rare equality. Their most stolen items are The Jewish Chronicle, Arabic newspapers and the Bible.

**** GE: WP's Low Thia Khiang's Response On Hougang Town Council's Accounts <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1126591/1/.html>
Wayne Chan/Hetty Musfirah Abdul Khamid, Channel NewsAsia

Addressing supporters at a rally in Punggol East on Tuesday night, the Workers' Party's (WP) Secretary-General Low Thia Khiang gave a detailed response to the questions raised by People's Action Party's (PAP) candidate for Aljunied GRC, Mrs Lim Hwee Hua, about the transparency of the Hougang Town Council's accounts.

Mr Low called it an attempt to discredit him and explained that the legal duration to privatise an HUDC estate is 2.5 years.

He said: "They have embarked on a personal attack against me to try to discredit me. The prime minister has personally gone down to Aljunied GRC, to campaign for the PAP team, even though the PAP Aljunied team is lead by two ministers, and a future Speaker of Parliament. "

**** A Warning At The Polling Booth <http://alamak.tumblr.com/post/5164189245/a-warning-at-the-polling-booth>
Alamak

Have no fear. Your vote is secret. You are exercising your right as a citizen to choose the people that will represent you.

**** Papsicles 5 <http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2011/05/04/papsicles-5/>
Au Waipang, Yawning Bread

But of course, Lee was not even contemplating income redistribution; he was still thinking along the lines of trickle-down economics — a theory that is quite evidently discredited. Wealth does not automatically trickle down. Wealth flows to those with political and economic power — it’s one of the most enduring truths through human history. Income and wealth is only redistributed when the have-nots seize power.

Economists have pointed out that at least half of inflation in Singapore is domestically generated. Land costs feed into rental costs which feeds into the cost of products and services. Lack of competition allows certain providers of products and services to keep prices higher than they need to be. In the post Imagining electoral calamity, I pointed out for example that Singapore’s main urban rail operator, SMRT Corp, made a fat Operating Profit of 21.4 percent last financial year. Train fares are government-regulated, so let’s not pretend that the government had no hand in high living costs.

All that Lee is saying is a sideshow to distract from the chief point: The pain of cost of living is experienced when prices rise and wages stay nearly stagnant. The issue is, in the final analysis, not whether prices are going up or down. If wages also go up, it won’t much hurt. The issue is the income gap, and that is something that macro-economic policy and taxation philosophy have huge roles in shaping. And who is responsible for that?

**** PAP Changing Tack But Same Weak Arguments <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/05/pap-changing-tack-but-same-weak-arguments/>
Howard Lee, The Online Citizen

Insulted for being told that the PAP has the most concrete plans for the nation, but now to be given this vague hint of things to come that would not likely bear fruit, unless Mah gets voted out on grounds of incompetence.

Insulted that, to this point, the holding administration has not proposed anything really new to allay the concerns of voters about rising costs of living and immigration policies, preferring instead to fall back on current achievements and Grow-and-Share packages.

Insulted that I am expected to believe that the solution to help the middle class is to grow the middle class – in effect, actually adding more competition and pressure without anything more imaginative to resolve existing issues.

**** How The PAP Can Get It Right <http://mollymeek.wordpress.com/2011/05/03/how-the-pap-can-get-it-right/>
Molitics

Voters need to ask themselves if the Lee Hsien Loong who was our prime minister, and may continue to be our Prime Minister after May 7, even has a good sense of what the PAP has gotten wrong.

**** It's Responsible Not To Disclose Plans Now: WP <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110504-0000386/Its-responsible-not-to-disclose-plans-now--WP>
Tanya Fong, Today

Speaking at a press conference after a WP walkabout in Nee Soon Group Representation Constituency (GRC), Ms Angela Oon, who is on the WP slate for the constituency, said the party was withholding its plans for the time being "because it might confuse voters if we don't deliver exactly what we have promised".

Said Ms Oon: "It is about being responsible - to be able to sit down and look at the funds available, to look what town planning has been like up to this stage. There are so many factors involved before we can say we want to build a clinic here, a playground or old folks' corner here."

**** Where Is MM Lee's Apology, Asks NSP's Nor Lella <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110504-0000431/Where-is-MM-Lees-apology,-asks-NSPs-Nor-Lella>
Shamir Osman, Today

A National Solidarity Party (NSP) candidate, Ms Nor Lella Mohamed (picture), has called on Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew to apologise to the Malay-Muslim community over his remarks on Muslim integration.

Ms Nor Lella, a member of the NSP team in Chua Chu Kang Group Representation Constituency, told a rally in Choa Chu Kang Stadium last night: "He (Mr Lee) did not apologise ... he keeps on saying he stands corrected, what is so difficult to apologise, MM Lee?"

**** PAP Brought Problem Of Foreign Worker Dorms To Pioneer: Chia <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110504-0000404/PAP-brought-problem-of-foreign-worker-dorms-to-Pioneer--Chia>
Shamir Osman, Today

National Solidarity Party candidate for Pioneer Single Member Constituency (SMC) Steve Chia has accused the People's Action Party (PAP) of bringing problems relating to foreign workers to the constituency.

"The PAP allowed the dormitories to be built at Pioneer rather than at Joo Koon, where there are no HDB flats,'' said Mr Chia, who was on a walkabout in Jurong West.

"I have suggested this before and I will continue to do so. When the contracts of these dormitories expire, stop issuing renewals and move them to another location …at Joo Koon where there are no HDB flats," said Mr Chia, who added that facilities and amenities for foreign workers can be built there.

**** PAP : Uninspiring, Unintelligent And Under The Belt Campaign <http://singaporemind.blogspot.com/2011/05/pap-uninspiring-unintelligent-and-under.html>
Diary Of A Singapore Mind

The PAP govt implement means testing so that the middle income people who get sick have to pay more when they visit the hospitals. 2 years ago, they cut the subsidies for the education of children with special needs and the parents of these children have to pay more. When the cost of sending the old to nursing home went up, one minister suggested we send our elderly to JB to save money. One minister went to parliament to explain why he would only increase the aid to the poorest Singaporeans by $1 per day when the cost of living rose.

There is no money to care for the sick, old and poor but the govt has money to build a $1.2B river. I hope highly stressed Singaporeans don't get other ideas when they see the river. When you don't take good care of the people for 5 years, you have to dangle very big upgrading carrots to get their votes. This artificial river in Ang Moh Kio really takes the cake.

**** Mr Low Thia Khiang Refutes Mrs Lim Hwee Hua’s Allegations <http://www.sgpolitics.net/?p=6739>
Sgpolitics.net

At the WP’s rally in Sengkang on Tuesday, Mr Low rebutted Mrs Lim’s comments very forcefully and convincingly, and he listed chronologically the steps that had been taken to segregate the HUDC estate’s accounts.

**** No Room For Third World Concerns <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/OnlineStory/STIStory_664398.html>
Muhammad Fadli Mohammed Fawzi, Straits Times

Having actually been to Hougang, I find it to be clean and safe, not unlike where I live, namely, Aljunied. In fact, Hougang feels and looks a lot like most parts of Singapore.

I am comforted by the fact that Hougang voters gave a resounding vote of confidence to Mr Low Thia Khiang, returning him to Parliament in 2006 with a larger majority. It is even more impressive as his team probably had to manage the town with fewer resources.

Although municipal issues are important, I believe that there is far more at stake in the election than matters of upgrading.

**** PAP’s Accusation A ‘Personal Attack’: WP’s Low <http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singaporescene/lim-hwee-hua-accusation-personal-attack-wp-low-180345032.html>
Fann Sim, Yahoo!

At the end of his speech, Low told the crowd that if the PAP suspected him of doing something to the accounts, they can report him to the Corrupt Practices Investigation Bureau (CPIB).

"Do not hoodwink the voters at this critical time when Polling Day is near," he warned.

**** A Turning Point? <http://shad0wfox.blogspot.com/2011/05/turning-point.html>
Foxy Thoughts

For us young ones, it is very easy to see how PAP members are often less than honest about issues. For example, people just breaking in to the workforce, who work long hours for less than satisfying pay, are not buying the story that importing "foreign talent" is creating jobs for Singaporeans when they see their offices populated by internationals. Or that the government cares about affordable housing when the bulk of us who will eventually live in a government built property will spend 20 years of our lives slogging to pay off the loans, having most of our financial mobility locked into a tiny 3-dorm room sized box that after ~70 years—or sooner—gets taken back by the government.

**** Corruption At It's Best! (Worst!)? <http://feedmetothefish.blogspot.com/2011/05/corruption-at-its-best.html>
Feed Me To The Fish

I do not know whether it is legal for PAP and NTUC to degrade Singapore workers and usurp their Big Day for the benefit of PAP. I just feel it is damn wrong to sell their party to buy votes in a Labour Day Rally. The all white uniform with the lightning badges in the May Day Rally tells us what fucking cheap sleazeballs they are!

**** Rebutting Lee And Goh <http://theowlcritic.blogspot.com/2011/05/rebutting-lee-and-goh.html>
The Owl

The answer to Mr.Lee's question, is that Singaporeans aren't stupid!

**** Aljunied GRC Facebook Site Alleges Defamation? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/05/toc-breaking-news-aljunied-grc-facebook-site-alleges-defamation/>
The Online Citizen

In language which suggests that legal action could be in the works, a message on the Aljunied Facebook group said: “We were wrongly accused that not only that we had not been compassionate, also that we had pressed charges against the poor boy.”

**** PM Lee's Apology Comes Too Late: Opposition <http://sg.news.yahoo.com/pm-lee-s-apology-comes-too-late--opposition.html>
Jeffrey Oon, Yahoo!

The Singapore Democratic Party's Ang Yong Guan said during a rally in Bukit Panjang, "Now they are scared because we are giving them a lot of pressure. And when they are scared, they apologise." The candidate for the Holland-Bukit Timah GRC added, "We don't just want them to apologise during elections, we want them to apologise frequently within the five years. Only a strong opposition can give them the pressure to do their jobs well and serve the people better."

Radin Mas SMC candidate Yip Yew Weng, 60, who spoke at a National Solidarity Party rally in Chua Chu Kang, asked, "Why are they admitting they're wrong this time? Why didn't they acknowledge these concerns before? Isn't this too late?" Jeisilan Sivalingam, who is part of the party's Chua Chu Kang GRC team, added, "PM finally acknowledged that PAP and its super-talented and multi-million dollar team has not delivered."

**** People Want Social Progress <http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2011/5/4/nation/8602620&sec=nation>
Shahanaaz Habib, The Star

For Chuah, when she was in school and university, the PAP government told her and her peers what to study and do, and she and her friends accepted that. “But times have changed. It is more open and young people want to be able to make their own choices,” she said.

Despite the new openness, Chuah said she is uncertain if this “new culture” is here to stay. “Sure, they are publishing more than usual opposition news but we don't know what's going to happen after the results of the May 7 elections,” she said.

This is the first time in Singapore's history that its people have been this critical of the PAP government and its policies.

**** Boycott TNP, The New Paper: Straits Times Equally Biased <http://rogerpoh.wordpress.com/2011/05/04/boycott-tnp-the-new-paper-straits-times-equally-biased/>
Spotlight On Singapore

**** Fallacy Of The Letter-writing MP <http://singaporeansays.blogspot.com/2011/05/fallacy-of-letter-writing-mp.html>
A SIngaporean Says

MPs are paid a lot of money. Why waste their time writing to government departments? Is writing letter the only reason we vote for a particular MP? If this is the case, then of course the "personalities" matter.

Thankfully I can write my own letters. So when I vote, I vote for a person who would be my "Member of Parliament", someone who would represent my voice in parliament. Not to write letters on my behalf.

**** PAP: Hawker Analogy <http://atans1.wordpress.com/2011/05/04/pap-hawker-analogy/>
Thoughts Of A Cynical Investor

If PAP wants us to endure their bad service and bad attitude, they must be like hawkers, cheap and good. If they want to operate like French resturant and charge us $$$$, then their service has to be perfect. No charsiew disguised as fillet mignon. Thank you.

**** My President's Millions <http://thinkhappiness.blogspot.com/2011/05/my-presidents-millions.html>
Think Happiness

The voter that returns the ruling party with a hegemonic prominence in Parliament must bear this burden of an allegedly unworthy President worth millions.

**** Can Hawazi Really Help You Solve Problems? <http://abdillahzamzuri.wordpress.com/2011/05/04/can-hawazi-really-help-you-solve-problems/>
Abdillah Zamzuri

**** PAP's GE2011 PR Catastrophe <http://youngsingaporean.blogspot.com/2011/05/paps-ge2011-pr-catastrophe.html>
Majulah!

And thus, with the prospect of another 5 years under the PAP leadership, I'm really worried how well PAP could do, especially for the People of Singapore, when they can't even give a good clean fight against the Oppositions...

**** A Time For “Sorry” Showmanship <http://chemgen.wordpress.com/2011/05/03/a-time-for-sorry-showmanship/>
Chemical Generation Singapore

Whether or not it is a ruse, the politics of “sorry” is just politics and I would give points to Nicole for being the first mover, and points to the PM for appearing more humble in his “sorry”. Also, I’m not casting my vote whether the person said “sorry” or not anyway. When I attend rallies, I’m going to listen to hard policies, not heart rhetoric.

**** The Apology from PM Lee Hsien Loong <http://mrwangsaysso.blogspot.com/2011/05/apology-from-pm-lee-hsien-loong.html>
Gilbert Koh, Mr Wang Says So

For this apology, we also have to thank the opposition parties and the large number of supporters who showed up at their rallies. Ask yourself - why is PM Lee's apology coming now? Because it's election season. The Opposition is speaking up loudly, raising important issues and making many strong, valid arguments. The PAP has few easy rebuttals, and in the end, PM Lee feels somewhat compelled to concede that his party has made some big mistakes.

This shows the value of having a strong Opposition - it keeps the ruling party on its toes. The Opposition acts as a check and balance, constantly reminding the PAP about the people that they are supposed to serve. However, once the elections are over, there won't be any more rallies and all the usual restrictions on civil society will kick in.

Anyway, although the fact that PM Lee made an apology is nice, I also found the apology somewhat troubling. Not because of anything he said, but because of what he did not say. PM Lee admitted that his government had made mistakes with public housing and public transport, but he said nothing about the root cause. And the root cause - as you already know - is the overwhelming influx of foreigners into this country.

**** GE: PA Says Community Clubs' Toilets Open To Public <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1126679/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

The People's Association has said the Mountbatten Community Club's toilets are open to members of the public.

It was responding to media queries on a statement by Ms Nicole Seah that the Mountbatten Community Club did not allow members of the public attending the National Solidarity Party Rally on Monday to use its toilets.

The association said that party-political activities, however, are not allowed at the community clubs (CCs) and its staff members will ask members of the public displaying party symbols to remove them before entering the CCs.

I'm wondering if wearing blue or red or white-coloured shirts constitutes "party symbols."

**** 洪永元:回应李总理向人民道歉 要他在五年中常说对不起 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp110504_024.shtml>
联合早报

李显龙总理昨午在行动党举行的竞选群众大会上说,如果一些国家问题处理不好,他向人民道歉。荷兰—武吉知马集选区民主党的候选人洪永元昨晚马上在该党群众大会上开炮。他吁请选民投选更多反对党人进入国会,给予执政党压力,他们才会做得更好。

洪永元说:“(行动党)怕了就说对不起。我们不要给他在竞选时候说对不起,我们要他在五年之中常常说对不起!只有强大的反对党才能够给予压力,他们才会好好做事,为人民作出最大贡献。”

**** Elections, Vui Kong & Singapore’s Soul, Part 1 <http://www.themalaysianinsider.com/opinion/article/elections-vui-kong-singapores-soul-part-1/>
Nathaniel Tan, The Malaysian Insider

There are many things I need to admit to — firstly, that I’m afraid to write all this. Even I, “protected” from the Singaporean authorities by the wide Straits of Johor, think to myself: “If I write this article, will they bar me from ever visiting again?”

If I, “survivor” of the Malaysian authorities could seriously fear such a thing in this day and age, I can only imagine how constricted Singaporeans must feel when attempting to talk or write candidly about their beloved island state.

Isn’t there something wrong though, when such fear pervades? Shouldn’t that set off alarm bells somewhere — alarm bells any individual who has had that precious overseas education we place so high a premium on should have had installed?

**** Did Anyone Online Slander Cynthia Phua? <http://blog.dk.sg/2011/05/04/did-anyone-online-slander-cynthia-phua/>
Dee Kay Dot As Gee

Firstly, the news report was published on TNP and AsiaOne. The online community is merely reminding everyone that this event happened 2 years ago. Is that considered slander?

And did Cynthia Phua made a police report? Did she told TNP that she did not accept the apology from the mother and the youth? If she did, then aren’t we right to say that she lack compassion and empathy? Nobody was harmed in the process. The youth has low IQ. As a MP, she should be more gracious and accept the apology. But she didn’t.

I don’t care if the charges were dropped later or not. The fact that she did not accept the apology at first already made me lose respect for her.

**** Davis Polk Deal Lawyer Chen Makes Initial Offering In Singapore Elections <http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-05-04/davis-polk-deal-lawyer-chen-makes-initial-offering-in-singapore-elections.html>
Andrea Tan, Bloomberg

“We want to help you to ask the serious questions that will make our democratic system of government work better,” the head of Davis Polk & Wardwell LLP’s Beijing office told more than 20,000 people in a suburban Singapore sports stadium in his first campaign speech last week before the May 7 elections.

“It’s a good thing for Singapore to have someone with his international experience, integrity and quiet wisdom offering to serve,” said Root, who now heads Asia for Milbank, Tweed, Hadley & McCloy LLP.

Chen is putting a lot on the line, said Wilson Ang, a Singapore-based corporate lawyer who got to know him when both worked for different international firms in Hong Kong. “Politics is a rough and tumble game.”

**** SDP's Shadow Health Plan: Healing With Care <http://yoursdp.org/index.php/news/singapore/4816-sdps-shadow-health-plan-healing-with-care>
Singapore Democratic Party

We the Singapore Democrats believe that healthcare cannot and must not be turned into a commodity for extreme profit making. We reiterate our position that medical costs must remain financially within easy reach of all Singaporeans.

We are prepared to support the notion of co-payment between the healthcare user and government to assume responsibility for the cost of treatment. At the moment, however, the PAP government has pushed the bulk of the financing on to the people. This must change.

We want a Singapore where your neighbourhood GP, working in partnership with the health center run by the nurse in your block keeps you and your family healthy and fit.

**** Anger At PAP While Celebrities Support SDP <http://yoursdp.org/index.php/news/singapore/4796-anger-at-pap-while-celebrities-support-sdp>
Singapore Democratic Party

After many long and lonely years, we are finally seeing Singaporeans shedding their fear, and expressing their support for the Singapore Democratic Party. We are touched and we are grateful.

But we want you to remember, you are not doing this for us. You are doing it for yourselves, your loved ones and, most important, your country.

**** A New System For A Maturing Singapore <http://whyliddat.wordpress.com/2011/05/03/a-new-system-for-a-maturing-singapore/>
Why Liddat?

Perhaps a bold step needs to be taken in order for Singapore to progress. It requires us to think outside the paradigm that has been set for us over the past few decades, and consider a new system that would better meet the democratic aspirations of Singaporeans as their country matures.

**** A Friday Surprise? <http://satayclub.net/2011/05/a-friday-surprise/>
Loh Kai Herng, Satayclub.net

Anything can happen on the eve of an election, and more so in Singapore. With the cooling-off day in effect, the opposition would be unable to properly respond to any last-minute bombshell that the PAP regime decides to explode on an unsuspecting public, given that they cannot hold any rallies nor make any speeches during those very important 24 hours. In effect, the PAP is silencing the opposition in their most crucial moment.

On the other hand, as its candidates are also office-holders, the PAP enjoys unparalleled access to the media, which is generally viewed as being biased towards the state. In addition, the PAP also controls the government, allowing them to cleverly time the release of important announcements.

**** GE: We've made mistakes, says PM Lee <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1126669/1/.html>
Leong Wee Keat, Today

"We made a mistake when we let Mas Selamat run away. We made a mistake when Orchard Road got flooded. And there are other mistakes which we've made from time to time and, I'm sure, occasionally will happen again. I hope, not too often," PM Lee said.

"But when it happens, then we should acknowledge it; we should apologise, take responsibility, put things right. If we have to discipline somebody, we'll do that, and we must learn from the lessons and never make the same mistake again," he said.

**** Low: PAP's 'Nonsense Accusation' Is A Personal Attack <http://www.straitstimes.com/GeneralElection/News/Story/STIStory_664407.html>
Kor Kian Beng And Teh Joo Lin, Straits Times

At the opposition party's rally in Punggol East on Tuesday night, he slammed the 'nonsense accusation' as 'a personal attack' on him.

'In this election, I would like to take time to tell you more about the WP's message and not have to answer to such nonsense accusations,' said Mr Low, who had been MP of Hougang for 20 years.

**** Why We Should Care About The Elections <http://newnation.sg/2011/05/why-elections-matter/>
Visakan Veerasamy, New Nation

Powerful ideas are harder to suppress than ever. The #SGelections hashtag is positively bursting at the seams. As I sit here writing this in Siglap Starbucks, I can hear several tables of people talking about the elections, too. The atmosphere is electric, and I’m glad to be a part of it.

**** Err PM, Whatever Happened To Monitoring? <http://atans1.wordpress.com/2011/05/04/err-pm-whatever-happened-to-monitoring/>
Thoughts Of A Cynical Investor

The system was on auto-pilot. For this ministers and senior civil servants have to accept responsibility.

**** It’s Hard To Say Sorry <http://chaptertworeload.wordpress.com/2011/05/04/its-hard-to-say-sorry/>
Aaron Ng, Chapter Two: Reload

Lee’s apology coming after one week of political campaigning and less than four days to polling hinted at a strong possibility that the PAP is indirectly acknowledging it might have grossly misread the sentiment on the ground. Senior Minister Goh Chok Tong alluded to this point, saying that he is unable to tell how young voters feel about the PAP, and the number of these Gen-Y young voters are significant.

There is no doubt that the other political parties will use Lee’s apology to score political points. Seven days of intensive attacks by the other political parties produced a result that five years of PAP rule since 2006 could not: an acknowledgement of some failure on the part of the PAP to listen to Singaporeans. If seven days of political hustings can wake up the PAP slightly to give an apology, the other political parties may say, imagine what can be done if these parties are voted into parliament for five years? If Singaporeans were to soften their hearts and give the PAP overwhelming support again, the PAP might drift off into slumber again.

**** Hougang Resident Angered By Eric Low’s “Slum” Remark <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/05/hougang-resident-angered-by-eric-lows-slum-remark/>
The Online Citizen

Eric Low from PAP has been in Hougang for two terms, yet I have never seen him before. It angers me that Eric Low calls Hougang a slum. While Hougang did not receive government funding for upgrades, Low Thia Khiang did a very good job maintaining the estate with the limited resources he has. He put in Fitness Corners, Senior Citizen Corners, Street Soccer enclosure, covered walkways, ramps etc.

**** Do The Right Thing And Say Sorry <http://chaptertworeload.wordpress.com/2011/05/04/do-the-right-thing-and-say-sorry/>
Aaron Ng, Chapter Two: Reload

If the news report was untrue, why did the PAP Aljunied GRC team not sue The New Paper? The news story clearly showed that the Aljunied GRC team made a police report and did not appear to make any effort to have the police drop the charge after the teen, who was reported to have low IQ, apologised. Lim’s statement to The New Paper appeared to suggest that the police report was justified.

The PAP team in Aljunied GRC is already facing an uphill battle, and instead of apologising for their poor handling of the case, the team is denying its actions, handing valuable political ammunition to the Workers’ Party. One can imagine the kinds of political points the Workers’ Party will score if the party makes a show of seeking out this resident and promising to redress his grievance.

**** GE: NSP Says CPF System Needs To Be Revamped <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1126689/1/.html>
Sara Grosse, Channel NewsAsia

NSP candidate for Chua Chu Kang GRC, Tony Tan, said: "The previous intention of wanting to actually have a later CPF withdrawal and a higher minimum sum makes sense then.

"Somewhere down the road, now with this continued rising cost of living, it is actually going to make it very difficult for retirees to actually sustain themselves.

"So we seriously need to go back and look at it - whether there is any way we can revamp the CPF to allow people to actually withdraw part of their CPF to tie through certain periods."

**** RP Unveils Five-year Plan For West Coast GRC <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110504-0001109/RP-unveils-five-year-plan-for-West-Coast-GRC>
Neo Chai Chin, Today

Improving estate management, providing more sports and recreational facilities, building more local markets and improving access for the disabled.

Titled 'Rejuvenate, Revitalise, Reintegrate', the five-year plan includes specific plans for each ward in the GRC.

RP secretary-general, Mr Kenneth Jeyaretnam, 52, has also promised to move to the GRC if his team is elected.

**** The Hard Truths About An Aljunied Voter’s Dilemma <http://ge2011.theonlinecitizen.com/2011/05/the-hard-truths-about-an-aljunied-voters-dilemma/>
Desmond Mao, The Online Citizen

I belong to a segment of voters from Aljunied who love Singapore and are tired of the politics of negativity. We are tired of the opposition opposing for its own sake. We are tired of angry people venting nonsensically at a government which cannot be responsible for all their troubles. We are tired of the PAP’s pettiness in denying opposition wards their full rights as citizens who pay taxes and serve NS. We are tired of unfair play by the PAP in manipulating the system for self-preservation of the party. We are tired of the scare-mongering by the PAP and WP that the fall of a GRC into either party would lead to a crippled, partisan government or that not winning a GRC will lead to a total collapse of the opposition.

We’re better than that.

**** Tin Pei Ling Vs Nicole Seah and…Chen Show Mao? The Rise Of The Counter-elite In Singapore <http://ge2011.theonlinecitizen.com/2011/05/tin-pei-ling-vs-nicole-seah-and-chen-show-mao-the-rise-of-the-counter-elite-in-singapore/>
Jordan Sin, The Online Citizen

Regardless of the results, however, many of these new candidates have left an indelible impression on voters, who are less likely to forget them in the next few years if they are able to strategically harness online social media and alternative news portals. The precedents they set might, over time, facilitate the consolidation of a new Singaporean elite which represents the viability of political success unbeholden to the criteria and rites of passage defined thus far by the ruling party-government.

**** An Important Lesson In National Education <http://ge2011.theonlinecitizen.com/2011/05/an-important-lesson-in-national-education/>
David Lam, The Online Citizen

People always say that Singaporeans are apathetic towards politics and their country, but what I witnessed tonight was a resounding rebuttal to these claims. It was at the rally when I felt passionate about Singapore again. I can’t help but wonder where my passion had dissipated to these past few years and why it happened. In any case, I really hope that such passion amongst Singaporeans will be here to stay, and not come only once every 5 years.

**** Impact On Nursing And Healthcare — Singapore GE 2011 Reflection <http://ge2011.theonlinecitizen.com/2011/05/impact-on-nursing-and-healthcare-singapore-ge-2011-reflection/>
Elizabeth Ho, The Online Citizen

**** NSP To PAP: Where Were You When S’poreans Needed You Most? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/05/nsp-to-pap-where-were-you-when-s’poreans-needed-you-most/>
Loke Hoe Yeong, The Online Citizen

“Where were you in the past five years?” National Solidarity Party (NSP) candidate Ms Nicole Seah asked the PAP. “Why was help only given last week?” She was referring to recent cash handouts that Singaporeans received, and on the National Wages Council’s call for wage increases on Saturday.

These actions, coupled with PM Lee’s apology to Singaporeans earlier that day, was due to the pressure faced by the PAP during election campaigning, Ms Hazel Poa said in Mandarin. “This pressure has to carry on beyond the elections… with opposition MPs in parliament,” she added. “This is the national duty of opposition politicians.”

**** So Much Anger <http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.com/2011/05/so-much-anger.html>
Chua Chin Leng, My Singapore News

Have we reached such a stage? The temperament has changed drastically over the last few days. If the anger is deep enough, and widespread enough, we could see an awakening of the people. The PAP must be caught by surprise for not seeing this and still thinks that they could carry the people with them. And threatening the people in a last ditch effort may proved to be their fatal wrong doing.

**** The Aljunied Mother & Son Story <http://mrwangsaysso.blogspot.com/2011/05/aljunied-mother-son-story.html>
Gilbert Koh, Mr Wang Says So

I think what's getting people excited about this matter is that the mother went to apologise and the boy wrote an apology letter too, but the MP rejected the apology. If the MP had been more magnanimous (taking into account the fact that the boy was mentally disabled and his mother was in dire financial straits), the MP could have accepted the apology and asked the police to drop the case.

**** Your Vote Is Your Voice <http://maruah.org/2011/05/03/votewithoutfear/>
Maruah

The entire process is very secure and transparent to all political parties. There is no doubt that people’s votes are secret.

**** Your Vote Is Secret <http://www.mrbrown.com/blog/2011/05/your-vote-is-secret.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+mrbrown+%28mrbrown%29>
mrbrown

**** My Vote Is Against Fear <http://ge2011.theonlinecitizen.com/2011/05/my-vote-is-against-fear/>
Bhavana Gupta, The Online Citizen

As the PAP introduced its candidates, several questions were raised by members of the public. Candidates like Tin Pei Ling do not seem prepared for the elections. Yesterday, she said when elected and if she has time, she will reach out to the youths. Why the “if”? I am not hopeful she is an ‘A’ candidate. Next, Dr. Janil Puthucheary. Is the PAP deaf to the discontent over the influx of foreigners and NS policies, that they decided to field Dr. Puthucheary? In response to the question of not having done NS, he said he was saving the lives of children instead. Is he God? How does that compare to our very own Singaporean medical professionals who have saved lives and are also trained to save the nation, should the need arise.

The PAP is complacent – they have not had a need to contest for eons and they have lost touch with the ground. Their new candidates are unimpressive given the rigorous selection process; the former heavyweights are not saying the right things either.

**** On GRCs And Losing Ministers <http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC110504-0001331/On-GRCs-and-losing-Ministers>
Koh Kah Soon, Today

If the Group Representation Constituency (GRC) had been intentionally designed primarily to protect not just untested candidates but also to keep experienced minister in power, the system is flawed.

The GRC system does not allow voters to pick who among the group candidates should be kept and who to vote out. It is designed for the contesting parties to win all or lose everyone in each GRC. It will be sad to lose a good minister. But the designer of the GRC system should know that this is always a possible outcome.

**** GE: 15 Election Rallies On Thursday <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1126766/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

**** Breaking News: Flash Floods Hit Singapore <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/05/breaking-news-flash-floods-hit-singapore/>
The Online Citizen

In the clearest sign yet that the chronic flooding problem is far from resolved, several areas of the island were hit by flash floods today.

The flash floods today come just two weeks after a downpour on 20 April caused an area around Heartland Mall in Kovan to flood. Heartland Mall is under the charge of Aljunied Town Council.

**** GE: SDP To Fund Healthcare Proposals By Diverting Other Ministries' Funds <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1126781/1/.html>
Sharon See, Channel NewsAsia

The Singapore Democratic Party plans to increase wages for healthcare professionals to attract more to work in the sector. This was one of its plans in its S$10 billion healthcare proposal, which the party said will be funded by moving money away from other ministries like defence.

"We want to welcome senior GPs to do ward rounds in the afternoon. So while during the day and evening, their clinics are busy. In the afternoon, when they have less patients at the clinics, they can come over and do the rounds in wards. This is quite common in many developed countries and is currently taking place in Australia," said Dr Gomez.

The party suggested a national health insurance scheme, an idea Mr Khaw has rejected, saying Medishield is already a form of national health insurance with co-payment to prevent abuse. The party is now asking for Mr Khaw to provide evidence that such a health insurance scheme would not work and would be open to abuse.

**** GE: WP's East Coast Team Feel Tide Is Turning <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1126786/1/.html>
Ng Jing Yng, Channel NewsAsia

During a walkabout in New Upper Changi Road on Wednesday, WP team leader for the GRC, Mr Eric Tan, said the team did not wish to be "hypothetical" and come up with plans before taking over the town council.

But he added there had been some ideas to address local concerns like parking problems at private housing estates.

**** 'I Voted Opposition When I Was In Civil Service': Jee Say <http://www.straitstimes.com/GeneralElection/News/Story/STIStory_664736.html>
Jessica Cheam, Straits Times

The Singapore Democratic Party (SDP) candidate Tan Jee Say has called on voters to overcome their fear that their votes will be used against them, saying that he voted for the opposition while he was in the civil service.

'I have been a civil servant before, and during my days of civil service, I have voted for the opposition. Nothing has happened to me, I got promoted in good time, in fact ahead of a lot of my cohort,' Mr Tan, who is standing for election at Holland Bukit-Timah GRC, told The Straits Times.

**** Dos And Don'ts On Cooling-off And Polling Days <http://www.straitstimes.com/GeneralElection/News/Story/STIStory_664764.html>
Straits Times

For the first time, the day before Polling Day, May 6, has been designated as Cooling-off Day, for voters to reflect on the issues raised during the campaign before going to the polls. Campaigning is not allowed.

**** Singapore PM Makes Rare Apology As Election Campaign Heats Up <http://in.reuters.com/article/2011/05/04/idINIndia-56766220110504>
Raju Gopalakrishnan And Kevin Lim, Reuters

"For this election, the PAP basically screwed up on immigration policies really badly. That has created all kinds of downstream hardships for Singaporeans," said Chua Beng Huat, a sociologist at the National University of Singapore, citing the rise in home prices and competition for places in schools.

Foreigners now make up 36 percent of Singapore's population of 5.1 million, up from around 20 percent of 4 million people a decade earlier, and the fast pace of immigration is the hottest issue among locals who have complained about competition for jobs and housing and the dilution of the national identity.

For the many overseas nationals who work in Singapore, and firms that use the city-state as their regional base, a key issue is whether the government will continue the immigration policies that makes it easy for foreigners to work in Singapore if there is a sharp drop in support for the PAP.

And despite the recent setbacks and the barrage of criticism it faces over the Internet, most observers expect the PAP to retain its huge majority.

**** Gov’t Has Created Two Singapores: NSP’s Tony Tan <http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singaporescene/gov-t-created-two-singapores-nsp-tony-tan-002728837.html>
Jeanette Tan, Yahoo!

The government's policies have led to a growing rift in Singapore society, says National Solidarity Party (NSP) candidate for Chua Chu Kang GRC Tony Tan Lay Thiam.

Singapore's leaders and its wealthy and talented, high-income earners who live in the first, "exclusive" Singapore are increasingly drifting away from "the other" Singapore, made up of middle- to low-income earners who Tan says struggle with rising costs of living and little savings.

**** Fear And Being A Public Servant <http://flying-low.net/?p=1198>
Flying Low

As a public servant, I work for the Singapore government, no matter what party is in power. Whether or not I agree with the politics of PAP or the opposition has little bearing on my ability to carry out my job. I took an oath to serve my country, not PAP. But more importantly, I don't want to be ruled by fear. And to vote for the PAP simply because they might sack me from my job is exactly that - allowing fear to influence my life and in all honesty, that really isn't the best way to serve your country.

**** Ferried Crowds At PAP Rallies <http://theowlcritic.blogspot.com/2011/05/ferried-crowds-at-pap-rallies.html>
The Owl

The PAP rules by fear, threats and open bribery in Singapore today. Their election rally attendees are often bussed in to avoid embarassing empty seats at their rallies. Their support is clearly dwindling and they may yet learn a harsh lesson on May 7th.

**** Massive Astroturfing In ST Forum To Garner Public Support For PAP <http://singaporege2011.wordpress.com/2011/05/04/massive-astroturfing-in-st-forum-to-garner-public-support-for-pap/>
Singapore Election 2011

**** Singapore Elections – From Apathy To Anger <http://thecrystalbawl.wordpress.com/2011/05/02/singapore-elections-from-apathy-to-anger/>
The Crystal Bawl

Where in the past, the 100% government-owned media controlled every piece of information we could read, now most people get their news from online sources the government is unable to control.

**** Prime Minister Apologises, But Nothing Has Changed <http://newnation.sg/2011/05/prime-minister-apologises-but-nothing-has-changed/>
Fang Shihan, New Nation

Assumptions sir, assumptions. So yes he apologised, yes I feel shiok, but don’t be mistaken. Nothing about him has changed one bit.

**** How The PAP Has Been ‘Engaging’ The Opposition In This Election <http://singaporege2011.wordpress.com/2011/05/02/how-the-pap-has-been-engaging-the-opposition-in-this-election/>
Singapore Election 2011

History did not rear its ugly head again this time not because the PAP leaders have ‘repented’ and change their distasteful ways, but simply because of the presence of the new media to counter the blatant disinformation, half-truths and lies the PAP-controlled media is churning out daily to sway public opinion towards the PAP by discrediting the opposition at every available opportunity.

Let us look at how the PAP has ‘engaged’ the opposition so far.

**** Lunchtime Defence <http://kentridgecommon.com/?p=11559>
Jerry Low, The Kent Ridge Common

So is the average Gen -Y voter appeased? Judging from a quick trawl through the various social media platforms, the answer is no.

Many lamented that it was too little too late.

**** MM’s Malay Integration Comments Hurt, Will Take Time To Heal: PAP’s Yaacob <http://blogs.todayonline.com/singaporevotes/2011/05/04/mms-malay-integration-comments-hurt-will-take-time-to-heal-paps-yaacob/>
Today

The minister-in-charge of Muslim affairs, Dr Yaacob Ibrahim has acknowledged that comments made by Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew on Malay integration hurt and will take time to heal.

**** GE: WP's Chen Show Mao On Resale Flat Prices <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1126812/1/.html>
Wayne Chan, Channel NewsAsia

Workers' Party candidate for Aljunied GRC, Chen Show Mao, says that Aljunied residents need not worry about the value of their HDB flats going down if his team is voted into Parliament.

Mr Chen said he has looked at HDB data and it showed that resale prices of flats in opposition-held Hougang were higher than other flats in Hougang town, which includes parts of Aljunied GRC.

According to him, Aljunied voters would instead be in a win-win situation if they voted in the Workers' Party, as both the PAP and the opposition would both be working hard to stake their claim on the ward.

**** SDP Unveils Regeneration Plan For Sembawang <http://www.straitstimes.com/GeneralElection/News/Story/STIStory_664875.html>
Tessa Wong, Straits Times

THE Singapore Democratic Party (SDP) revealed plans to build the local economy in Sembawang on Wednesday night, by reviving plans for a regional commercial centre and catering to installations in Sembawang such as military camps.

It takes issue with the 2001 Masterplan by the Government, which had earmarked a regional centre in Woodlands.

Dr Gomez last night claimed that many Singaporeans had bought flats in the area based on this promise, and pointed out that 10 years on, the centre had yet to materialise.

**** GE: Balakrishnan On YOG, Teammates Counter SDP's Proposals <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1126811/1/.html>
Chitra Rajaram/Dylan Loh, Channel NewsAsia

Dr Balakrishnan said: "We got the initial estimates of the money to be spent on the YOG wrong. This was the first time...there was no other model".

He said that prime minister Lee Hsien Loong had asked him if he would have bid for the YOG if he had known the hefty price tag earlier. Dr Balakrishan told PM Lee that even if he had known the YOG would cost more than S$300 million, he would still have bid for it. To this "He (PM) told me to make sure I don't spend more than S$387 million".

According to Dr Balakrishnan, "We spent much less… we did not overspend or waste or squander."