[MyAppleMenu] May 5, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu May 5 18:59:00 EDT 2011

**** Rise Of The Mac Git GUIs <http://fuelyourcoding.com/rise-of-the-mac-git-guis/>
Fuel Your Coding

One sign of a developer power tool hitting critical mass is when a wellspring of Graphical User Interfaces explode onto the scene. It looks like Git — the distributed version control system authored by Linus Torvalds — has arrived. It brings with it a bevy of Git clients for Mac OS X.

**** White iPhone Versus White iPhone <http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/05/04/white-iphone-versus-white-iphone/?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Nick Bilton, New York Times

As you can see from the image below, there was clearly a discoloration on the first-run white iPhone that is visible between the home button and the phone’s exterior shell.

The new model also has a deeper proximity sensor near the ear piece.

**** My Look At OmniOutliner <http://bleifus.com/?p=521>
James Bleifus

Michael Grothaus, TUAW

**** How To Manage Menu Extras In OS X <http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-20059861-263.html>
Topher Kessler, CNET

**** Improve Your Mac's Security By Running A Standard Account <http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-20059799-263.html>
Topher Kessler, CNET

Stuart Dredge, The Guardian

It's not so much the 30% revenue share taken by Apple that's the problem as it is the question of how data on subscribers is shared. Publishers used to having the names and addresses of their print subscribers balked at the idea of that data remaining with Apple.

New announcements from Hearst Magazines and Telegraph Media Group, who are both adopting the new subscription billing, hint that the answer may be less about browbeating Apple into sharing this data, and more about simply asking subscribers for it.

**** Stamp Out E-mail Annoyances <http://www.macworld.com/article/159542/2011/05/emailannoy.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

For many of us, the first application we open in the morning is our e-mail client. Hour after hour, day after day, we check our e-mail repeatedly. Given that we spend this kind of time with a single program, it’s important that it gives us as little trouble as possible. When it decides to act up, it’s just as important that we set it straight as quickly as possible. Here are some solutions to common problems.

**** MacBook Pros, New iMacs Get Slew Of Software Updates <http://www.macworld.com/article/159683/2011/05/software_updates_thunderbolt_imacs_macbook_pros.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Lex Friedman, Macworld

Apple on Wednesday released a quartet of updates, aimed at owners of new MacBook Pros and its recently released iMacs.

**** iOS, OS X And The Death Of The Scrollbar <http://gigaom.com/apple/ios-os-x-and-the-death-of-the-scrollbar/>
Weldon Dodd, GigaOM

Among those who have tried OS X Lion for the first time, there is near universal dismay at the “reverse scrolling” behavior in the Apple-provided applications. It feels strange to push your fingers up on the trackpad to see content that is further down in the document, when we have had years of practice moving our fingers down instead.

The difference is best understood as a change in the user’s point of view. Instead of pulling the scrollbar down, you push the content up. The change signals a huge shift not just in scroll direction, but in user interface design where gestures are used to manipulate content instead of on-screen interface controls like scrollbars and sliders.

**** AirServer Turns Your Mac Into An AirPlay Receiver <http://www.macworld.com/article/159687/2011/05/airserver_airplay_mac.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Dan Moren, Macworld

Looking to show off your iOS device’s AirPlay functionality, but don’t have an Apple TV or AirPort Express? The no-frills AirServer turns your Mac into a AirPlay receiver, letting you stream audio, photos, and even videos to your computer, right over the air.

**** Eye-Fi Connects To iPhone, Gets More Useful <http://www.macworld.com/article/159666/2011/05/eye_fi_cards_connect_iphone.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Jason Snell, Macworld

**** Why An iMac Now Is In The Cards For Me <http://news.cnet.com/8301-30685_3-20060152-264.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=News-Apple>
Stephen Shankland, CNET

I mostly just want a better price-performance ratio and hard drive expansion. The iMac is the closest thing Apple's got short of an expensive Mac Pro. And now, the iMac is a strong contender.

**** On eBook Pricing <http://speirs.org/blog/2011/5/4/on-ebook-pricing.html>
Fraser Speirs

I don't care and don't want to have to care about the internal structure of your industry and the value chain and who pays for what when. If it doesn't feel like a good deal, then no deal. All this says to me is "we think you're a schmuck".

**** Georges Perec: Essay <http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/8480784/Georges-Perec-essay.html>
Tom Payne, Telegraph

This delay tells us two things. One is that it has been hard to convince anglophone readers that Perec is anything more than quirky and to persuade new audiences of the seriousness that lies behind his work. The other is that he wrote so much that, like a distant planet, news of all his creative energy has yet to reach us.

**** When Writers Kill <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/booksblog/2011/may/04/writers-kill?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Daniel Kalder, The Guardian

Authors with genuinely red-toothed experience have fascinating insights into the way the world really works to draw on. But where are they?

**** A Wrong Turn For L.A.'s Food Truck Scene? <http://www.latimes.com/features/food/la-fo-food-trucks-20110506,0,3121613.story?track=rss>
Jessica Gelt, Los Angeles Times

Josh Hiller is fed up. As a partner in RoadStoves, the food truck outfitter that helped launch Kogi into the stratosphere, he thinks L.A.'s rapidly expanding new-wave food truck scene is getting out of hand.

**** Trust Me, I'm A Scientist <http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=trust-me-im-a-scientist>
Daniel T. Willingham, Scientific American

Why so many people choose not to believe what scientists say.

**** Please Don’t Flame Me, I’m A Newbie: PM Lee <http://www.pressrun.net/weblog/2011/05/dont-flame-me-im-a-newbie-pm-lee.html>
Pressrun.net

**** NUH Prof. Among Panel Of Doctors Guiding SDP's Health Policies <http://yoursdp.org/index.php/news/singapore/4812-nuh-prof-among-panel-of-doctors-guiding-sdps-health-policies>
Singapore Democratic Party

It seems hard to believe but these very capable medical professionals are now assisting the SDP to craft our healthcare plan which is spearheaded by Dr James Gomez, SDP's candidate for the Sembawang GRC.

The SDP is growing with more and more high-calibre professionals either joining our ranks or assisting us. This bodes well for the party's present and future. Voters of Bukit Panjang, Holland-BT, Sembawang and Yuhua have reason to feel secure that they will be good hands when the elect our candidates.

**** PM Lee : I'm Sorry... <http://singaporemind.blogspot.com/2011/05/pm-lee-im-sorry.html>
Diary Of A Singapore Mind

The changes we need are not small and cosmetic. Our income gap is the biggest in the developed world. We have a 3rd world wage structure. If we carry on along the same direction, poverty will keep growing even as our GDP grows. For the declining quality of life to reverse and head upwards, there is a lot of work ahead to change the system we are in. Tan Jee Say used that phrase very often during the election campaign describing the PAP as a govt that "has lost its way". When Tan Jee Say was in the civil service, we were promised a Swiss Standard of living. We have strayed so far from that the amount of work needed to bring us back is huge.

**** Change Starts With Something Small: Vincent Wijeysingha <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/05/change-starts-with-something-small-vincent-wijeysingha/>
Andrew Loh, The Online Citizen

"And on Saturday, my friends, something magical will happen. You will go to a place and by the simple and non-violent act of putting a cross in pencil next to a name, you will decide who will govern our country for the next five years. It is an act – we should remember – people died to secure for us. It is an act which makes us human. It is an act more important than anything you will do in the next five years because it will ensure a safe, secure, and prosperous home for you and your children. Cast your vote for your children. Do not find yourself in the position, another 25 years from now, when they will say to you: 'Why did you not speak up for me?'"

**** I'll Move To West Coast If Elected: Jeyaretnam <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110505-0000051/Ill-move-to-West-Coast-if-elected--Jeyaretnam>
Neo Chai Chin, Today

The Reform Party (RP) team contesting in West Coast Group Representation Constituency (GRC) yesterday unveiled a five-year plan to better manage housing estates, keep the cost of living in check and build a stronger community.

Party secretary-general Kenneth Jeyaretnam also pledged to move to the Telok Blangah area should his team get elected, so as to be more accessible to residents there.

**** The Final Push For Swing Votes <http://www.todayonline.com/Commentary/EDC110505-0000065/The-final-push-for-swing-votes>
Eugene K B Tan, Today

What can the People's Action Party (PAP) and the Opposition parties do to persuade the undecided voter in this last leg of the campaign? What must they do to make a compelling case that the voter can take away and mull over on "Cooling Off" day tomorrow? How do they motivate the already-decided voter to persuade their family members, friends and colleagues to vote one way or the other?

**** Elect More Alternative Voices, Urges SDA <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110505-0000074/Elect-more-alternative-voices,-urges-SDA>
Ng Jing Yng, Today

In what was the Singapore Democratic Alliance's (SDA) last rally for this General Election, the party had one overriding message for voters: Elect more alternative voices to Parliament.

Citing issues such as the cost of living, housing and the influx of foreigners, the SDA candidates called for more debate in Parliament to prevent such problems from recurring.

**** RP Hits Back At PAP Critics <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110505-0000084/RP-hits-back-at-PAP-critics>
Neo Chai Chin, Today

Mr Jeyaretnam also defended the RP's proposal on universal health coverage for Singaporeans. He questioned how Singaporeans would pay for medical treatment if their Medisave accounts were exhausted.

He pointed out that the maximum MediShield claim limit of S$50,000 per policy year could be "exhausted by one round of cancer treatment" or a complex operation.

**** PAP Supporters Try To Clarify Incident Involving Cynthia Phua <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110505-0000049/PAP-supporters-try-to-clarify-incident-involving-Cynthia-Phua>
Satish Cheney, Today

On Tuesday, the PAP team for Aljunied GRC denied on its Facebook page that they had pressed charges against the boy.

The latest episode stemmed from a recent posting by popular blogger Gilbert Koh who goes by the online moniker Mr Wang. Mr Koh had revisited the 2009 incident and said that he hoped the judge treated the boy "with more kindness and compassion, than the Aljunied PAP MPs had done".

**** SDP's Second Plan For Sembawang <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110505-0000088/SDPs-second-plan-for-Sembawang>
Cheow Xin Yi, Today

They had earlier proposed polyclinics in void decks for residents. Now, the Singapore Democratic Party team for Sembawang Group Representation Constituency wants to create jobs in the area through tourism and by leveraging on nearby facilities.

The "Sembawang GRC Re-Generation Plan: Creating Jobs, Building Community" contained suggestions to build a local economy, for instance, by tapping on prisons and military camps in the area.

"Our plan will look into the feasibility of creating jobs from these institutions by providing support services such as catering, housekeeping and maintenance services, so that you can create jobs within the community and you don't have to travel far," SDP candidate James Gomez said last night at its election rally.

**** Minister Mah Should Also Apologise, NSP Says <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110505-0000087/Minister-Mah-should-also-apologise,-NSP-says>
Today

"Did (Mr Mah) say sorry?" National Solidarity Party secretary-general Goh Meng Seng asked, in reference to prime minister Lee Hsien Loong apologising for lapses like Mas Selamat's escape and the Orchard Road floods, "Not a single word of sorry for messing up our country … the future of our younger generation. He just said (he was) 'caught off guard'," said Mr Goh.

There were no reasons for ministers to be caught off guard, he added, since they discuss economic strategies at Cabinet meetings to increase foreign workers to raise the Gross Domestic Product.

"Yet they forgot they have to build more hospitals, flats, public transport networks. Then what have they been doing? Sleeping? Caught off guard?" he said.

**** PM's Apology Shows Need For Opposition, Say Parties <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110505-0000078/PMs-apology-shows-need-for-Opposition,-say-parties>
Loh Chee Kong, Today

Opposition candidates yesterday capitalised on Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong's apology for mistakes made by the Government in the past five years, by arguing that it was the direct result of Opposition pressure. In fact, Mr Lee's move provided the perfect illustration of why a stronger Opposition is needed in Parliament, they said.

At the Workers' Party (WP) rally in Ubi last night, WP chief Low Thia Khiang said: "Do you think that without a strong Opposition to challenge them in this election, you would get an apology? If we don't have an effective Opposition in Parliament, do you think they will continue to listen to you over the next five years?"

Singapore Democratic Party candidate Vincent Wijeysingha reiterated that political leaders must be held to the same standards as leaders in the corporate world. "Their salaries are pegged to the highest earners in the private sector. But they forgot ... that in the private sector, if the CEO doesn't perform ... the shareholders get him out."

**** PAP Is Facing A Tough Election: Vivian <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110505-0000085/PAP-is-facing-a-tough-election--Vivian>
Leong Wee Keat, Today

Three days to Polling Day, Minister of Community Development, Youth and Sports Vivian Balakrishnan acknowledged that the People's Action Party (PAP) is "facing a tough election". "Despite all our success, despite everything we have achieved ... there is an unsettled mood among our people."

**** Yale In Singapore: Lost In Translation <http://chronicle.com/article/Yale-in-Singapore-Lost-in/127277/>
Christopher L. Miller, The Chronicle Of Higher Education

What is wrong with Singapore? Why should a great American university not engage with a rising Asian state? According to Human Rights Watch in 2010, Singapore "remains the textbook example of a politically repressive state. Individuals who want to criticize or challenge the ruling party's hold on power can expect to face a life of harassment, lawsuits, and even prison." Singapore's penal code sets out more than 20 drug-related offenses for which capital punishment is mandatory.

Most immediately troubling to me as a gay faculty member, male homosexuality is illegal in Singapore. Section 377A of the legal code bans consensual, private male homosexual activity as "outrages on decency," in effect making it illegal to be gay. Enforcement is not the issue here; this is a question of principle. Yale has no business establishing a campus in a state where some of its own faculty members are subject to arrest because of who they are. By doing so, the university has, in effect, violated its own nondiscrimination clause, which protects sexual orientation. Yale could have stayed away from Singapore until the repeal of Section 377A but chose not to. As a consequence, Singapore's discrimination becomes Yale's.

**** Sorry No Cure! <http://theowlcritic.blogspot.com/2011/05/sorry-no-cure.html>
The Owl

We know what it is of course, it is an 'Election Sorry'. An 'Election Sorry' is much like an election promise, it means nothing. His sorry did not stop the flash floods in Ang Mo Kio today, a result of poor planning by his PAP government.

No, Mr.Lee is not at all sorry. He just wants you to keep voting for him, and will say anything he thinks you want to hear.

**** Weather Comedy <http://hardhitting-nobs.blogspot.com/2011/05/weather-comedy.html>
Musings From The Lion City

Let it not be said that the political gods of Singapore do not have a sense of humour.

**** New Media: Old Media, Stop Being PAP’s Dog <http://sgpublicpolicy.wordpress.com/2011/05/02/new-media-old-media-stop-being-paps-dog/>
Scrutinizing The Singapore Government

Old media, it’s time you wake up or else all integrity and ethics you stand for is now lost. Do not underestimate the power of new media.

**** My First PAP Rally. <http://kirstenhan.me/2011/05/05/my-first-pap-rally/>
Funny Little World

I understand that public figures, including politicians, are not beholden to the press, no matter how much the press wishes they were. I know that it is well within their rights to decline an interview, or decline a question. However, I did feel that he could have at least heard Ben out, listened to the question. And if he didn’t want to answer the question, he could have said so, or said something along the lines of “I believe this is something for Mr Palmer to address as the candidate in this constituency”. But to have turned and walked away, dismissing a person so abruptly, was just rude. And what was the “thank you for identifying yourself” supposed to mean? Are we supposed to feel threatened by that, as TOC volunteers?

**** The Growth Formula Of PAP <http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.com/2011/05/growth-formula-of-pap.html>
Chua Chin Leng, My Singapore News

The people cannot expect these problems to go away when they are not problems in the first place. A PAP govt will not change this high growth formula. If the people want to modify or moderate this high growth formula, they can only depend on the opposition MPs to speak for them, to change this high growth policy. It is necessary to have opposition MPs to rein back this mindless pursuit for growth numbers. That is why opposition MPs are badly needed in Parliament.

**** In Search Of A Better Quality Of Life <http://thestar.com.my/columnists/story.asp?file=/2011/5/5/columnists/diplomaticallyspeaking/8608074&sec=diplomaticallyspeaking>
Dennis Ignatius, The Star

The Gallup survey of 124 countries sought to categorise people into three groups — those who were thriving, struggling or suffering.

In high-income Sin ga pore, 61% considered themselves as struggling, suggesting that the quality of life there is not as great as its leaders think it is. Perhaps the restrictive political environment in the island republic might have something to do with it.

**** An Old Problem For Singapore <http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2011/5/5/nation/8609851&sec=nation>
Shahanaaz Habib, The Star

It is tough to be an old person in Singapore. Leong (not his real name) found this out when he turned 63 and retired.

“I feel unwanted. It's as if my experience doesn't count,” he confessed. “The (PAP) Government has failed totally to plan, on this part, for my generation.

Angie (not her real name) used to be a teacher but she retired on medical grounds before the age of 50 because she had bone problems. Now at the age of 64, she feels fit and physically better than she ever did. But the Ministry of Education (MOE) refused to employ her because she had quit 15 years earlier for medical reasons.

“The MOE is bringing in a lot of teachers from China and many are using Singapore as a springboard to get their PR and then leave for the US or Australia."

**** Singapore Political Pay Packets <http://www.remarked.net/singapore-political-pay-packets>
Mark Remarked

But at what cost i.e. how much does it actually take to stop an MP poking their fingers in the financial theft pie?

**** Singapore's Fast Growth Creating Rich-Poor Divide? <http://www.cnbc.com/id/42891768>
Jenny Chan Vheng Yern, CNBC

Not everyone in this island nation of 5 million people is celebrating. Irvin Seah, an economist at Singapore bank DBS says, "Plainly, not everyone has benefited equally from the economic growth that has occurred over the past decade."

Take the case of Rokiah Ahmad, 46, a librarian at the Singapore Department of Statistics. Her salary was S$1,500 ($1,222) per month 10 years ago, and after a decade of small increments, it's now S$1,700 ($1,385) a month. "It's not enough to raise three daughters and one son. We have financial difficulties."

Prime minister Lee Hsien Loong has promised in his party's political broadcasts that the PAP, which is widely expected to win the elections, will ensure that low-wage workers are not left behind.

71-year-old cleaner Mr Tan, who only wanted to be identified by his last name, has been earning just S$4.00 ($3.20) an hour for the past 5 years. He says he's not convinced. "They don't care about us. The profits all go to the bosses and government ministers. And when we speak up, we're considered as complaining."

**** A New Wind Blows In The Lion City <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703834804576302210320107904.html>
Alex Au, Wall Street Journal

Opposition parties are capitalizing on mounting discontent with the PAP economic model. But to turn that into electoral wins they'll need to refine their strategy. One problem is that the opposition seems to prefer whipping up anger against the PAP, rather than explaining how PAP policies created this situation.

Neglecting a reasoned discussion of policies, the opposition parties find themselves offering quick fixes. But voters do not believe that any opposition party is going to win enough seats to form the next government, so those promises count for little. It would be better for them to broach broader policy topics and use this campaign season to bolster the public's faith in the opposition's ability to understand Singapore's problems at a deeper level than simple political point-scoring.

Singapore's opposition now has opportunities like never before to reach voters and field compelling candidates. That already is an impressive achievement, even if they're highly unlikely to win on election day. Now is not too soon to think about the next election. The best way to prepare for that is to use new communication avenues to start a real debate about Singapore's future.

**** 大选2011 刘程强:工人党能管理好阿裕尼市镇会 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp110505_038.shtml>
吴汉钧 蔡欣颖, 联合早报

工人党候选人刘程强以他管理后港市镇理事会20年的经验,向阿裕尼集选区选民保证,如果中选,工人党有能力管理好阿裕尼集选区的市镇会。他也提出一系列计划,为阿裕尼发展更多社区设施。

他先以华语说,阿裕尼选民不必担心市镇会的管理,因为工人党有20年的市镇会管理经验。目前,行动党市镇会的工作大多数外包给专业的市镇管理公司。若有必要,工人党也会这么做。阿裕尼集选区目前由CPG设施管理公司负责管理。

“当时的总理,就是现在的李资政,他告诉选民,如果把票投给反对党,要想清楚。他们没有能力管理市镇会,你的垃圾会堆积到三层楼高。我管理后港市镇理事会20年以来,从来没有垃圾堆积到三楼,倒是行动党所管理的市镇会发生了这种事情。”

刘程强没有说明他所指的垃圾堆积问题发生在哪一区。不过,本报曾在去年5月报道,文礼通道的六座组屋因为垃圾槽狭窄,几乎每天都发生垃圾阻塞情况。市镇会工人得进入住家从垃圾槽取出垃圾,后来甚至得敲破组屋外墙,以便清理垃圾。

**** My Observations On Singapore's General Elections <http://www.mycherrymagazine.com/2011/05/my-observations-on-singapores-general.html>
Nicolethenblog

**** To The Men-in-White <http://singaporeelection.blogspot.com/2011/05/to-men-in-white.html>
Singapore Election Watch

Rather lose some small battles now than to wait for the big bomb to explode later. By then, not only will you disappear into the dust heap of history, so too will Singapore. That will be your ultimate betrayal to this country that you so painstakingly and successfully created out of a little red dot on the map.

**** 大选2011 肯尼斯:行动党政策过时了 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp110505_037.shtml>
王珏琪, 联合早报

革新党秘书长肯尼斯指人民行动党的公共住屋和外国劳工政策过时了,不能解决我国目前面对的问题,行动党也没有解决问题的方法。

以住屋政策为例,肯尼斯说,建屋发展局的公共住屋政策是根据上世纪50年代的社会主义思想,当时人们居住环境差或住在甘榜,不过新加坡现在已经发展成为先进国家,人们应该拥有自己的房地产。

肯尼斯也批评本地外劳政策已经过时。他指出,有关政策的原则是根据工业化时代的需要,当时需要大量人力的投入,但新加坡遇到人力不足时就转向便宜的外劳,而不懂得提高人们的生产力。他说,虽然新加坡工作时间比别的国家长,但生产力就是先进国家中最差的,只有美国的一半。

**** 大选2011 工人党东海岸团队:选民反映的民生课题 主要是全国性的 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp110505_034.shtml>
林诗慧, 联合早报

陈恩忠受访时说:“根据我们接触选民所听到的,东海岸选民受影响的课题,主要是全国性课题。”

他紧接着分享他对地方性课题的了解,来说明团队对地方性课题并非毫无所知,并指出这些不但是地方性课题,也是全国性课题。

**** 大选2011 林睦荃:若希望看到改变 选民不应只期望别人投反对党 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp110505_028.shtml>
杨全龙, 联合早报

也是榜鹅东单选区候选人的林睦荃昨晚在万国地铁站旁举行的群众大会上说,在本届大选中,后港原议员刘程强和波东巴西原议员詹时中都走出了各自的堡垒挑战集选区,这对选民来说是关键时刻。

他说:“如果你希望能看到改变,走向更好的未来,但同时又期望别人投票给反对党,自己则无所行动。假若每个人都抱着这样的想法,5月7号之后,将不会有任何反对党议员步入国会。现在是行动的时刻。”

**** 大选2011 工人党炮火全开 强烈回应“造假”指责 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp110505_033.shtml>
联合早报

工人党昨天在群众大会上就行动党对他们的“造假”指责炮火全开,强烈回应,刘程强强调工人党支持者全是志愿前来,并没有采用“台湾式”的竞选策略来制造假象,厉言要求杨荣文的竞选代理陈美兰就此事道歉。

刘程强接着说,陈美兰所说的走访地点,都有媒体随行,他呼吁媒体把真实情形报道出来,来证明工人党的清白。他强调工人党的支持者都是发自内心,自动自发的。刘程强严肃地说:“在这里,今晚,我要陈美兰向工人党团队和支持者道歉。”

另一名阿裕尼候选人毕丹星则以工人党在2006和2011的党纲都提倡实施《信息自由法案》(Freedom of Information Act),来建立清晰透明的问责制度,挑战陈惠华部长所说的透明度。他举例说明本地正缺乏信息自由,在30年前,国家发展部长郑章远在任时,组屋成本价格是对外公开的,但在马宝山接任后,就不再公开。他问,这是否表示行动党目前的透明度大大不如30年前。

**** 大选2011 继续炮轰房屋政策 团结党要马宝山为高房价道歉 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp110505_026.shtml>
李静仪 萧佳慧, 联合早报

在淡滨尼集选区挑战国家发展部长马宝山的国民团结党秘书长吴明盛,昨晚在群众大会上继续炮轰马宝山的房屋政策,并要求他为高涨的房价向选民道歉。

吴明盛在淡滨尼体育场举办的群众大会上说,国民团结党早在两三年前就已向马宝山提出组屋供应是否足以应付未来650万人口的需求的关注。

他说:“当时马宝山说组屋价格还是负担得起的,但现在随着大选战情越来越热,他便开始说会增加供应量、提高购屋津贴,还说考虑调高购买新组屋者的家庭收入顶限。他能想到什么就做什么,但他有没有说声对不起?”

**** The Timing Of PM Lee's Apology <http://singaporerecalcitrant.blogspot.com/2011/05/timing-of-pm-lees-apology.html>
SIngapore Recalcitrant

**** Apology Not Accepted <http://www.insanepoly.com/blog/?p=1269>
Insane Polygons

MM Lee did not issue a genuine apology for once again putting into question the loyalty and commitment of malay singaporeans. Wee Siew Kim did not issue a genuine apology when his daughter caused a huge uproar with her elitist insensitive remarks. Charles Chong did not issue a genuine apology when he branded us as lesser mortals. Wong Kan Seng did not issue a genuine apology when his incompetency allowed Mas Selamat to escape. Yaacob Ibrahim did not apologized for the series of floodings that occurred earlier in the year. Mah Bow Tan hasn’t even acknowledged the clusterfuck this is our public housing policy. Vivian Balakrishnan hasn’t apologized for overspending on YOG.

And what about the losses incurred by our government’s investment in Shincorp, ABC Learning, Alliance Bank, UBS, Citibank, Stuy Town etc.

Who apologized for allowing our public transport system to degrade into a daily sardine can crush?

**** Teo Chee Hean Avoids TOC, Michael Palmer Almost Gets Away <http://benjamincheah.wordpress.com/2011/05/04/teo-chee-hean-avoids-toc-michael-palmer-almost-gets-away/>
Benjamin Cheah

First impressions count. This is the first time I have seen Michael Palmer since I moved here in 2006. It seemed to me that he was avoiding Kirsten. He did not avoid me – and earlier in the rally, guest speakers praised him for listening to the residents and working hard to solve their problems. I think he addressed my question simply to preserve his reputation.

First impressions matter. This is the first time I have met Teo Chee Hean since I moved here in 2006. He avoided me the moment I said I was from TOC. Never mind that I live in the area; the words ‘The Online Citizen’ seemed to repel him like shadow fleeing from light. And the words “Thank you for identifying yourself” have very sinister overtones.

**** Sorry PM, Too Late To Say Sorry Lah! <http://cloudywindz.blogspot.com/2011/05/sorry-pm-too-late-to-say-sorry-lah.html>
今天天气多云... Today's Mostly Cloudy

But PM Sir, why are you only realising the mistakes that your people have made like... now? Like a couple of days before the Polling Day? Why such a perfectly-timed sorry?

And why did the sorry come only after the mistakes have been brought up again and again by the Opposition parties?

**** 工人党胜出,把新加坡政治变得更好,变得更美丽 <http://pijitailai.blogspot.com/2011/05/blog-post_7362.html>
否极泰来 Piji Tailai

行动党不是没有帮助低收入社群,但是,它是以数据来作为标准来来援助人民。它没有用心来聆听,没有真心用心来做事。因此,我们现在都叫它(经济)行动党,而不是“人民”行动党。它做事的前提是经济而不是人民。

**** Ode To Chiam See Tong: A Lion Of Singapore <http://nedstark.wordpress.com/2011/05/04/ode-to-chiam-see-tong-a-lion-of-singapore/>
Winter Is Coming

Hence, I wish Mr Chiam all the best and salute him for his long years of service, and hope against hope that Mr Chiam and his team can make history, together with the WP team. Indeed, I would go so far as to say that Mr Chiam epitomises all that is desirable in a citizen: humility, courage, a heart for service and a never-say-die attitude that has seen him stand up again despite setbacks, both physical and political.

**** WP Deconstructs Pillars Of Government? An Absurd Notion <http://rogerpoh.wordpress.com/2011/05/05/wp-deconstructs-pillars-of-government-an-absurd-notion/>
Spotlight On Singapore

We live here, this is our home. Nobody is going to pull down the pillars that keep Singapore going. Any such suggestion is utterly absurd. I haven’t heard anything from the opposition that keeps me awake worrying at night.

**** A Tribute To The Opposition <http://singaporemind.blogspot.com/2011/05/tribute-to-opposition.html>
Diary Of A Singapore Mind

After 45 years, this country has reached a cross-road, these men and women have done all they can against great obstacles to create an alternative path that leads to a better future. It is now up to us which path we choose to take....

**** In Defence Of The PAP <http://singaporegirl.wordpress.com/2011/05/04/in-defence-of-the-pap/>
Food Fuels Me To Talk...

**** A Former Young PAP Volunteer Speaks <http://newnation.sg/2011/05/a-former-young-pap-volunteer-speaks/>
Bernard Leong, New Nation

When I go to the polls, I will be asking myself the following questions.

1) What kind of legacy do I want to leave behind for the next generation?

2) Which party’s ideals and manifesto relate to me best?

Whatever our decision, we must be prepared to live with it for at least the next 5 years.

**** "I Was Wrong" Says ex-PAP Supporter <http://ahmadintaiwan.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-was-wrong-says-ex-pap-supporter.html>
Ahmad in Taiwan

**** Doctors And Politics IV <http://singaporemd.blogspot.com/2011/05/doctors-and-politics-iv.html>
Singapore M.D.

However, I find it increasingly difficult to pledge allegiance to a government that, in my opinion, swept the hospital overcrowding problem under the rug, until the Health Minister got badly flamed on a prominent blog, after which measures were hurriedly taken to minimize ( public relations ) damage control.

Or to a government which employs an MP who was fully aware of the overcrowding problem, but when directly asked to highlight the crisis to the Health Minister, let personal grudges take precedence over patient care, and replied, "Of course I can, but why should I?" [ direct quote, by the way ]

**** Singapore’s Most ‘Liked’: Is Nicole Seah Rise More Than A Protest Vote? <http://asiancorrespondent.com/53718/is-nicole-seahs-rise-more-than-a-social-media-fuelled-protest-vote/>
Jon Russell, Asian Correspondent

That isn’t to say that she couldn’t do a good job if called upon, her suitability remains unclear given her lack of experience and short campaign thus far, but her rapid rise has certainly become a hope of change with a vote for her a protest vote against the government and the status quo in Singapore.

At this stage social media has already achieved a couple of major successes in the Singapore election campaign. It has helped raise issues which have got the entire country talking, whilst engaging the younger generation – who are so easily switched off politics in many other countries.

**** Apology – But Still Reaping The Rewards <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/05/apology-but-still-reaping-the-rewards/>
Ng E-Jay, The Online Citizen

I welcome a show of humility from PM Lee, but whether that translates into subsequent government action to change their own attitudes and rectify errors remains to be seen.

Mr Wong Kan Seng stopped short of apologizing when Mas Selamat escaped in broad daylight. Dr Yaacob Ibrahim never came close to apologizing for the inadequate flood control system which allowed monsoon rains to ruin businesses and cause millions of dollars worth of damage. Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew took back his remarks on the Malay-Muslim Community, but also stopped short of an unequivocal apology. Then, a few days before polling day, the Prime Minister apologizes to Singaporeans not once, but twice at a lunch time rally. You cannot blame people for being cynical at PM Lee’s apology. Talk, as they say, is cheap.

**** PAP’s Distastrous Election Campaign Hits Rock Bottom <http://singaporege2011.wordpress.com/2011/05/05/paps-distastrous-election-campaign-hits-rock-bottom/>
Singapore Election 2011

The format of this election has indeed changed, revolutionized by the new media which the PAP has failed to incorporate into it campaign.

Though the PAP will still win the coming election with an overwhelming majority, it will be a useful wake-up call for its leader to change their usual strategy to appeal to the younger generation of voters in future elections.

**** 在野党突破集选区限制 新媒体激荡新加坡大选 <http://www.merdekareview.com/news/n/18177.html>
汪忠良, 独立新闻在线

新媒体加上年轻人,是一个很有爆发力的组合。笔者在网上的观察是,这次选举推翻了新加坡年轻人对于政治冷感的印象。很多的年轻选民甚至自动自发的为自己的“偶像”设立网站或版位、转发文章、表达意见、拍照上网、转发照片等等,间接推动了新加坡大选的热潮。

从这个角度来看,这次大选反映了执政党集选区制度的问题。虽然执政党在之前的多次大选,因为集选区制度获得了很多次的胜利,但是执政党议员却没有经过大选的洗礼,没有被大众公开检验,所以缺乏选举的作战经验,而且很难虚心接受人民的检验。笔者认为,执政党之前集选区不战而胜的轻松,恰恰就成为了这次大选执政党的一个最大的难关了。

**** Marine Parade GRC: Nicole Seah Vs Goh Chok Tong <http://mrwangsaysso.blogspot.com/2011/05/marine-parade-grc-nicole-seah-vs-goh.html>
Gilbert Koh, Mr Wang Says So

Of course, the problem is that Marine Parade GRC is not just Tin Pei Ling versus Nicole Seah. If that was the case, Nicole would probably win 90% of the votes. And most of the remaining 10% votes for Pei Ling would probably be compassionate votes, given in the hope that that Pei Ling doesn't suffer any long-term emotional trauma.

Marine Parade GRC is more about Goh Chok Tong vs Nicole Seah. And of course, Goh is a PAP heavyweight. He has held numerous key appointments - prime minister, deputy prime minister, defence minister etc, and of course, he has been an elected MP for Marine Parade for the longest time. If you want to talk about actual experience and stature, Nicole Seah cannot hold a candle to Goh Chok Tong.

So what rational basis can a Marine Parade GRC voter possibly have, to vote for NSP (Nicole) rather than the PAP (Goh Chok Tong)? Let me offer a few possible arguments.

**** GE Voters Advised To Walk Or Take Public Transport To Polling Stations <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1126918/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

Voters are advised to take public transport, or where possible walk, to their Polling Stations on Polling Day this Saturday, May 7.

Police said those who drive are not allowed to park within the premises of Polling Stations located in places such as schools and community centres.

For Polling Stations located under HDB void decks, the parking lots immediately fronting the Polling Stations will be closed to facilitate the polling activities.

**** Media Changing Singapore Election <http://www.mysinchew.com/node/57100>
Lim Mun Fah, Sin Chew Daily

As an onlooker, I observed that Singapore's print media have indeed increased coverage for the opposition this time. However, most of the young people still believe that there is no so-called freedom of the press in Singapore and therefore, they do not trust traditional media.

Of course, the high numbers of fans do not guarantee a victory. However, it is observed that with the "help" of the Internet, the opposition's rallies have attracted more young people and at the same time, caused a pressure for the PAP.

Undeniably, the rapid politicisation on the Internet has caused a wind of change in Singapore. However, would it be reflected on votes? It is believed to be the greatest expectation of the opposition and the greatest worry of the ruling party.

**** Top Lawyer Boosts Singapore Opposition <http://www.mysinchew.com/node/57096>
AFP

Supporters say he could have easily become a cabinet minister, but Chen Shao Mao has caused a stir in Singapore by running against the government in Saturday’s general election.

In a political culture obsessed with academic credentials, the 50-year-old lawyer and economist with degrees from Harvard, Stanford and Oxford universities has boosted the profile of the tiny, fragmented opposition.

**** Singapore General Election: Democracy Rising <http://anilnetto.com/democracy-2/asean/singapore-election-campaign-hotting-up/>
anilnetto.com

It’s time for a more sustainable and people-centred approach to development that would put people above profits. The economy should serve the people and not the other way around.

**** Singapore Leaders Admit Faults, Face Election Test <http://www.asiaworks.com/news/2011/05/05/singapore-leaders-admit-faults-face-election-test-ap/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=singapore-leaders-admit-faults-face-election-test-ap>
Associated Press

The prime minister is admitting mistakes and even apologizing. It’s a sign that the party that has dominated Singapore and told the island state what’s best for a half-century could be facing its strongest electoral challenge.

“Singapore’s great virtue is that they have been able to skirt this fine line between democracy and autocracy, having the mechanics of democracy without the substance, but it’s worked,” said Benjamin Reilly, a political scientist at Australian National University.

**** The 9 Paradoxes Of Patriotism In Singapore <http://ge2011.theonlinecitizen.com/2011/05/the-9-paradoxes-of-patriotism-in-singapore/>
Jack Sim, The Online Citizen

There is a sense of “Statelessness” in many patriots here. These are ordinary thoughtful citizens do not want to enter the complicated political arena. They just want to contribute to make their country better. They are not content with being treated like a customer. They want to be embraced like a citizen, a nation-builder and a healer of social gaps. They are constructive if the government engages them constructively.

**** Dreams Of A 61-year Old Singaporean <http://ge2011.theonlinecitizen.com/2011/05/dreams-of-a-61-year-old-singaporean/>
Gwen Pinto, The Online Citizen

As for myself, come 7th May, I will cast my vote so that my children and my grandchildren to come can live in a future where there are legitimate avenues of expression for them, a future where their voices matter when it comes to steering the course of the nation and where every Singaporean is able to lead a meaningful life. That is my final dream for this country I love and call home.

**** PM Lee’s Sorry Track Record <http://mollymeek.wordpress.com/2011/05/05/pm-lees-sorry-track-record/>
Molitics

Singaporeans may have started to sell their alle(e)giance for an apology that loses all value the moment it is accepted without reservation. But it is not too late to remind ourselves that the admission of a mistake should not, in this case, come with an absolution from punishment. To use a religious analogy, if the PAP has made a mistake and is apologizing for it (which is perhaps not quite what its doing), it is important to send the party to the purgatory for at least five years instead. In the next five years, if it proves to be a false repenter, it shall never go to heaven. And we will not have this political purgatory for the PAP if we do no’t vote for the opposition, if too few of us vote for the opposition. We do not want to be condemned to a living hell by the very people we hesitate to send to the purgatory. We will not even be able to feel sorry for ourselves by then.

**** Letter From Tanjong Pagar GRC <http://ge2011.theonlinecitizen.com/2011/05/letter-from-tanjong-pagar-grc/>
Chew Yi Wei, The Online Citizen

My no-vote this round does not translate into a no-voice. And I know that voices, especially from the beleaguered Tanjong Pagar GRC, are louder than ever. To the rest of Singapore, do us in Tanjong Pagar a favour; do this country a favour. Think not only for your interests. Think not only for the next 5 years. But think for the nation. Vote wisely. And bravely.

**** Fooled By The PAP Media That Chee Is The Villain <http://yoursdp.org/index.php/news/singapore/4785-fooled-by-the-pap-media-that-chee-is-the-villain>
Singapore Democratic Party

We have received numerous emails from Singaporeans saying how they have been fooled by the state-media into thinking that Dr Chee Soon Juan is bad for Singapore. We reproduce a small sample of the emails we have received in this topic in just the last few days.

**** Who Is Koh Choong Yong? Why Vote For Him And WP? <http://www.choongyong.com/2011/05/05/who-is-koh-choong-yong-why-vote-for-him-and-wp/>
Koh Choong Yong

The answer is very simple. The PAP government will only wake up if there is a strong opposition. Have you ever heard the PAP government apologise in the history of Singapore? It happened this week, because the pressure from the possibility of losing Aljunied GRC and other seats probably made the PM rethink about the mistakes they have made previously.

If you want a government that sits up and listens to the people, a more attentive government, the only to do it is to have elected MPs from the opposition to check them in Parliament. Workers’ Party has worked hard to provide a credible choice, giving voters a rational, responsible and respectable party. I chose WP back when I did not have any party affiliations, based on my personal comparison between the PAP and WP. Today, if I were still just a voter in Sengkang West, I will still make the same choice.

**** Why This Singapore General Election Is Important <http://www.cnngo.com/singapore/life/tell-me-about-it/charlene-fang-why-singapore-general-election-important-447421>
Charlene Fang, CNNGo

Whatever happens after Saturday's Polling Day, change is already in the air. Whether the hotly contested Aljunied GRC comes under the PAP or the Workers Party (WP), or if PAP newbie Tin Pei Ling gains a parliamentary seat at the expense of the WP's Sylvia Lim, all this debate proves this general election is different.

Citizens will no longer mutely accept the status quo, they'll want their opinions heard, their problems solved, their rumblings soothed, their government to interact and consult rather than to expect automatic acceptance without complaint.

And isn't that what all elections are about -- the promise of change for the better?

**** Singapore Parties Make Final Push For Votes <http://www.mysinchew.com/node/57141>
Bernama

**** Don't Rock Singapore's Foundations <http://tankinlian.blogspot.com/2011/05/dont-rock-singapores-foundations.html>
Tan Kin Lian

"I agree that the thing that irritated Singaporeans the most is the obscene pay rise of the ministers whose pay were already sky high. Couple this at a time when the poorer segments of the population were having a hard time struggling with high inflation (increase food prices, electricity, transport, rental etc) without any pay rise to adjust for inflation. The average Singaporeans have effectively become poorer."

**** Looking Back On Five Years <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/05/looking-back-on-five-years/>
Andrew Loh, The Online Citizen

In the last five years or so of being involved with The Online Citizen (TOC), I have had the opportunities to meet with and work with many people. It is privilege indeed. These are people in flesh and blood who have taught me many things. Their situations, predicaments and plights have been instructive to me and those at TOC.

As I ponder on the General Election, I recall these people whom I met, the stories they told me, the looks on their faces, in their eyes, the children whom they have. The helplessness they felt, the indignity they were subjected to. How the sense of abandonment was so acute for them.

There are many policies and practices of the People’s Action Party Government which directly contribute to these. The Government is not unaware of these faulty and discriminatory policies and practices, yet it has either dismissed these out of hand or has plainly ignored them even when they were brought to their direct attention.

**** GE: NSP Focusing On Listening To Needs Of Community <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1126983/1/.html>
Sara Grosse, Channel NewsAsia

The National Solidarity Party (NSP) team contesting in Marine Parade Group Representation Constituency (GRC) has said it is focusing on listening to the needs of the community.

Abdul Salim Harun, NSP candidate for Marine Parade GRC, said: "The feedback from the residents I have been getting is the cost of living. A lot of people, they are suffering and there is not enough help or assistance for them."

**** GE 2011: Why You Mustn't Believe Everything You Read On The Internet <http://mrwangsaysso.blogspot.com/2011/05/ge-2011-why-you-mustnt-believe.html>
Gilbert Koh, Mr Wang Says So

I will just leave you with this little piece of advice. You mustn't believe everything you read on the Internet .... especially if it is pro-PAP.

Some of you are about to groan, "Oh Mr Wang, what you just said is so terribly biased and unfair." But wait, I have a reason to say what I just said.

**** NSP: Longer Minimum Stay For PRs When They Buy HDB Flats <http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singaporescene/nsp-longer-minimum-stay-prs-buy-hdb-flats-202258168.html;_ylt=AhG_H8RL7.DR2.Y0heGtCrwCV8d_;_ylu=X3oDMTNkYnZwcGY2BHBrZwNjMjA5ZGQwMy0zOWM1LTNkOWMtOTc5ZC1jNGVmMGExNjgzYWMEcG9zAzMEc2VjA01lZGlhRmVhdHVyZWRMaXN0BHZlcgM2MTFjMDcyMi03NmFiLTExZTAtYTVkYy03OGU3ZDFmNTc1NjQ-;_ylg=X3oDMTFjaTBvcG51BGludGwDc2cEbGFuZwNlbi1zZwRwc3RhaWQDBHB0A3NlY3Rpb25zBHRlc3QD;_ylv=3>
Liyana Low, Yahoo!

Singapore permanent residents (PRs) should own their HDB flats for a minimum of eight years before they are allowed to sell them, said National Solidarity Party's (NSP) Goh Meng Seng during a rally at Tampines stadium on Wednesday evening.

According to Goh, the leader of NSP's Tampines GRC team, the rationale behind such a policy suggestion is to prevent them from speculating in property and pushing up property prices.

"We welcome foreigners to make this place their home, but not just to speculate property, take our jobs, make money and run away," Goh said.

**** Singapore, It’s Over To You <http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singaporescene/singapore-over-now-083700075.html;_ylt=AhqJ1wSzW_l9tD9IwIj29o4CV8d_;_ylu=X3oDMTM5M3M4Y2I5BHBrZwMyYTUyOTgxNS1hOGM1LTNjZDEtYWRiNS0wMDU2NGY2YTM3YjIEcG9zAzIEc2VjA01lZGlhVG9wU3RvcnkEdmVyA2Y3OGE1N2VjLTc2ZjktMTFlMC1hMTRlLTc4ZTdkMTYyMWM1YQ--;_ylg=X3oDMTFjaTBvcG51BGludGwDc2cEbGFuZwNlbi1zZwRwc3RhaWQDBHB0A3NlY3Rpb25zBHRlc3QD;_ylv=3>
Jeffrey Oon, Yahoo!

Come Saturday, you have the ability to chart the country's destiny for the next five years and beyond. My sincere hope is that you do not take this lightly.

At this important point in Singapore's fledgling nationhood, it gives me great comfort and a deep sense of pride to know we are all together in this. To know that regardless of events around the world, come Saturday, we have the choice to decide our own fate -- a future for Singapore, by Singaporeans.

Your vote is your own and it is indeed secret.

It is up to you now.

It is your time, your vote.

**** Singapore: UN Rights Body Should Press For Fundamental Freedoms <http://www.hrw.org/node/98621>
Human Rights Watch

United Nations member states should denounce Singapore's severe restrictions on freedom of expression, association, and assembly during the country's first-ever Universal Periodic Review (UPR), Human Rights Watch said today. The review, at the UN Human Rights Council in Geneva, is scheduled for May 6, 2011.

With Singapore's national elections on May 7, Singaporean citizens should demand that candidates seeking their vote publicly support rescinding laws and practices that violate fundamental human rights, Human Rights Watch said.

**** My Singapore <http://harishpillay.wordpress.com/2011/05/05/my-singapore/>
Harish Pillay, Life One Degree North, One-O-Three Degrees East

I love my country too much to let it continue to be badgered by a party that has lost it’s bearings. The 1st generation of leaders thrown up by the PAP did so to better a population and build a nation. The party lost its way in the 1980s when they started paying themselves enormous amounts. Being in politics and leading a nation is much bigger than “am I being compensated on some benchmark against the top earners”!

**** The Root Of All Singapore's Problems (Last Post Before The Elections) <http://theowlcritic.blogspot.com/2011/05/root-of-all-singapores-problems-our.html>
The Owl

The root evil in Singapore that leads to all these problems is the suppression of free speech and press freedom. It is the suppression of freedom in all forms. It was never possible to have robust discussion about any topic because you could be hounded from your job, suffer petty tyrannies, be arrested, or be bankrupted. Without free and robust input, the PAP has gone terribly wrong.

The PAP cannot change, they can only be changed at the polls by the people. This is not the time to think about whether you will get a better bus-stop, or relinquish your vote for a packet of rice. Whatever form that packet of rice may take. It is not the time to worry about oneself or one's own constituency. This is not a time for fear.

**** It's All Up To You, Singaporeans <http://yoursdp.org/index.php/news/singapore/4814-its-all-up-to-you-singaporeans>
Singapore Democratic Party

In this campaign many arguments have been made and many words have been exchanged. But we recognise that at the end of the day after all the hype has died down, it is you who must live with the policies that your MPs make. It is for this reason that we we have made this campaign about you because we the Singapore Democrats believe that politicians exist to serve, not lord over, the people.

The campaigning is over. Now it's up to you. You will go to the polls on Saturday and you will vote for your future. We hope that we have earned your vote. Vote for the party that can serve you well. Vote for a party that is Competent, Constructive and Compassionate.

**** GE: S'poreans Treated Like 2nd, 3rd Class Citizens In Education, Says RP's Lim Zi Rui <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1127017/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

Mr Lim said: "Our local students lose out, lose the chance, even though they are of the same calibre. As I said earlier, why are we being treated as second class students? As second class citizens? And my partner contesting in Ang Mo Kio, was saying that the Malays are being treated as third class citizens even.

**** Wake-up call to reconnect with the people <http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC110505-0000152/Wake-up-call-to-reconnect-with-the-people>
Collis Loh, Today

Whatever the election results, the PAP needs to understand that the days of "we know what is best for you" are over. It needs to reconnect with its people. and narrow the gap between us. Listen more, talk less, and act fast. This is their wakeup call.

**** I’ll Still Be Here After 7 May: SPP’s Chiam See Tong <http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singaporescene/ll-still-7-may-spp-chiam-see-tong-190858315.html;_ylt=AttRmRpo7Hk4MouagVw.WpYCV8d_;_ylu=X3oDMTNhZGdvdjg2BHBrZwNmODM1Njg1Yi0zNzljLTNjOWQtYWZhYS05YTdjNTk0NjhkZGEEcG9zAzEEc2VjA01lZGlhSnVtYm90cm9uBHZlcgM5Njc2M2YxOC03Njg0LTExZTAtYmMwYi1mMzE1OTg5ZDUwMmI-;_ylg=X3oDMTFjaTBvcG51BGludGwDc2cEbGFuZwNlbi1zZwRwc3RhaWQDBHB0A3NlY3Rpb25zBHRlc3QD;_ylv=3>
Jeanette Tan, Yahoo!

Singapore People's Party chief Chiam See Tong has promised Bishan-Toa Payoh GRC residents that he will still be around after Polling Day.

Speaking at the last rally on his 'home turf' at Potong Pasir, the party's secretary-general reiterated his message of previous speeches made over the past week, urging voters in Bishan-Toa Payoh and Potong Pasir to "be brave", "be courageous" and choose the opposition.

**** Real Apologies Vs Pseudo-Apologies <http://gssq.blogspot.com/2011/05/real-apologies-vs-pseudo-apologies.html>
Balderdash

**** Cast Your Vote For Change On 7 May 2011 <http://tankinlian.blogspot.com/2011/05/group-of-courageous-singaporeans.html>
Tan Kin Lian

After 45 years, this country has reached a cross-road, these men and women have done all they can against great obstacles to create an alternative path that leads to a better future.

**** Nicole Is Not Playing With Fire, Just Stating The Fact <http://singaporeelection.blogspot.com/2011/05/nicole-is-not-playing-with-fire-just.html?utm_medium=twitter&utm_source=twitterfeed>
Singapore Election Watch

Well, since our Chinese leaders do not have that courage to say sorry for that insensitive remark than we the Chinese within the community should when meeting our Malay abang and kaka offer our apology to them for that insensitive remark of our esteemed Chinese leader in MM who is too proud even to say 'sorry' where it is due.

**** SPP Introduces Town Council Team For Bishan-Toa Payoh <http://www.straitstimes.com/GeneralElection/News/Story/STIStory_665226.html>
Jeremy Au Yong, Straits Times

They may not have won the contest yet, but the Singapore People's Party introduced to Bishan-Toa Payoh GRC residents a group of party volunteers that would form the core of the town council management committee, if its team wins the election.

The introduction at the opposition party's rally in Bishan Stadium on Thursday night was part of the party's final push to convince voters that they would be able to take over the running of the town council in Bishan-Toa Payoh.

**** Real Tears, Real Sincere Tears From Nicole Seah <http://www.sgpolitics.net/?p=6767>
Sgpolitics.net

**** Dr Vivian Expressed “Regret” Over Comment Made On Needy Singaporeans In 2007 <http://singaporege2011.wordpress.com/2011/05/05/dr-vivian-expressed-regret-over-comment-made-on-needy-singaporeans-in-2007/>
Singapore Election 2011

Four years after making the infamous remark in parliament in 2007, Dr Vivian Balakrishnan suddenly realize he was wrong and expressed ‘regret’ over it to portray a ‘soft’ side of him in order to win sympathy votes ahead of the coming election.

**** SDP Draws In The Crowds At Lunchtime Rally <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110505-0000166/SDP-draws-in-the-crowds-at-lunchtime-rally>
Julia Ng, Today

On the last day of campaigning, the Singapore Democratic Party (SDP) held its lunchtime rally at UOB Plaza accusing the People's Action Party of not tackling hot-button issues and attacked the prime minister's apology made on Tuesday.

Dr James Gomez, 46, who is contesting in Sembawang GRC, charged that the People's Action Party (PAP) was running a "divided campaign" - with internal splits in the party. He said: "They have no confidence, they are using the last salvo of apologies and sympathy appeal."

Some of the loudest cheers were reserved for Ms Michelle Lee, 35, the mother of three who is standing in Holland-Bukit Timah GRC, when she spoke about an issue close to the hearts of many - their families. She said: "Our family regeneration plan will tackle the root cause of Singapore's declining birth rates and shrinking family size, by taking away the stress and significant portion of the costs of bringing up children for families.

**** Minister Mah Had Not Address Profits For BTO Flats And The "Ballooning" Land Costs <http://de-leviathan.blogspot.com/2011/05/minister-mah-had-not-addressed-profits.html>
De Leviathan @ Sg

**** How Do PAP Ministers Fare? (An Idiot's Guide) <https://www.facebook.com/notes/new-asia-republic/how-do-pap-ministers-fare-an-idiots-guide/211919445499376>
New Asia Republic, FaceBook

PAP is warning of 'freak' election results that may cost the seat of some minister. Now before Polling Day on Saturday, let's recap on how the entire PAP Cabinet has fared so far. How popular are the ministers? And if we lose a couple of them (highly unlikely to lose more than that, given the GRC system), how bad can it be? Are they all so indispensable? Let's look at their performance so far.

**** Prof Chua Cuts To The GE2011 Chase <http://blinkymummy.blogspot.com/2011/05/prof-chua-cuts-to-ge2011-chase.html?spref=tw>
野人俱乐部

The influx of foreigners is the root problem.

Everything else are unintended consequences (e.g. rising cost of living, loss of jobs and education opportunities etc).

This is why Singaporeans first is the single most critical policy to be had from GE2011. Too bad most do not bother to take a sec to get to know the situation.

**** 5 May 2011 – Rally Speech By Low Thia Khiang <http://wp.sg/wpge/2011/05/5-may-2011-–-rally-speech-by-low-thia-khiang/>
Workers' Party

We are going to make sure that the less hard-driving and less hard striving ministers will be taken to task and we will drive home the point that each and every Singaporean matters.

Vote Worker’s Party, Towards a First World Parliament!

**** 5 May 2011 – Rally Speech By Chen Show Mao <http://wp.sg/wpge/2011/05/5-may-2011-rally-speech-by-chen-show-mao/>
Workers' Party

When I spoke on the phone last week to my six-year old daughter, who is currently in school in Beijing. I tried to spell out “Aljunied” to her. Like all young children, she interrupted me before I could finish and said “oh, A Journey”. Yes, a journey. We are on a journey of Hope for Change, a journey that takes Courage and Compassion. Let us journey forth together to secure a bright future for Singapore. Majulah Singapura! Majulah Singapura!

**** GE: WP's Yaw Shin Leong Praises People Of Hougang <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1127030/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

Mr Yaw said the people of Hougang understood the pressing need for more opposition voices in Parliament and he called for other voters to emulate them.

He said: "People of Singapore, lend me your ears. Learn from the people of Hougang. The series of emotional outbursts and apologies were targeted and came two decades too late...let us emulate the spirit of the people of Hougang in standing up to our belief in political justice in Singapore!

**** Your Vote, Your Values <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/05/toc-editorial-your-vote-your-values/>
The Online Citizen

But perhaps the real issue here is not that the PAP does not try hard enough.

Perhaps the more important lesson for this ruling party that has led our nation-state for more than 50 years is its failure to realize that the party, by itself, can no longer deliver us from all the problems that we will face in this complex world.

The groundswell of discontent that has emerged during this general election may be interpreted as a symptom of a clash in values and differences in priorities between those in positions of authority and the people they are supposed to represent.

With increasing boldness, many are shaking off their reticence. Among the stories that have surfaced online and offline, the major themes that have resonated with the public include the desire for greater accountability, transparency, justice and compassion in governance.

In all of this, one important question begs to be answered: What are the fundamental values that drive our decision-making in public policy?

**** Vote For The Future <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/05/vote-for-the-future/>
Constance Singam, The Online Citizen

I hold the PAP responsible for this state of affairs – for demonising citizens who challenge them and their values, and for the environment of fear they have created over the last 40 years.

Yes, MM Lee is right when he said that the Workers’ Party’s ambition is to form a government. That is how it should be. Otherwise their political participation would be seen as frivolous.

The PAP is fighting a hard fight in this General Election. The opposition parties have fielded many good and strong candidates and are also working hard. The Electorate sees the need for alternative voices in Parliament to give voice to their concerns and values. This election is an opportunity not to be missed for giving voice to our concerns.

**** Voting And An Outline Of PAP’s Performance In Recent Years <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/05/voting-and-an-outline-of-paps-performance-in-recent-years/>
Mohanadas Harish Chandar, The Online Citizen

**** There Is More At Stake Than We Think <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/05/there-is-more-at-stake-than-we-think/>
Callan Tham, The Online Citizen

And more importantly, the proposals the alternative parties have come up with are not only cogent, coherent, and convincing to me, they also have one common thread running through all of them: that the Singapore they want to build is a country that prizes not only economic success, but also one that does not leave Singaporeans behind.

Make no mistake, my friends. There is more at stake than we think. We are not only voting for political parties, we are voting for the direction and soul of Singapore. Your vote will decide if you want Singapore to be more humane instead of staying money-oriented; to reach out and help fellow Singaporeans who have been cruelly left behind or reach for more profits; and a future that we are proud to tell our children about, a principled, compassionate existence, or merely one where telling your neighbours about your promotion or showing off your new sports car is the order of the day.

**** TOC Campaign Roundup: PAP’s Chaotic Campaign Staggers Towards Finish Line <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/05/toc-campaign-roundup-pap’s-chaotic-campaign-staggers-towards-finish-line/>
Andrew Loh, The Online Citizen

Recognizing that the PAP’s “rule by Pragmatism” was collapsing around its’ ears, PAP leaders plaintively tugged at the heartstrings of voters.

GE 2011 will forever be remembered as the one where PAP leaders shed tears and apologized. Whether the tears and apologies are enough to get people to cross the box beside the lightning bolt remains to be seen.

**** Where In The World Is The Polling Card <http://singaporedesk.blogspot.com/2011/05/where-in-world-is-polling-card.html>
Singapore Notes

One alternative is to visit your community centre and obtain a Poll Card as shown hereunder.

**** GE: SDA Goes For "Personal Touch" On Last Day Of Campaigning <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1127036/1/.html>
Hetty Musfirah, Channel NewsAsia

**** GE: Vote For Better Leadership That Represents Diversity, Says NSP's Tony Tan <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1127035/1/.html>
Hoe Yeen Nie, Channel NewsAsia

At a National Solidarity Party rally on Thursday night, one of the NSP candidates for Jurong GRC, Tony Tan, has urged Singaporeans to vote for a better leadership, one that will represent a diversity of voice.

He said: "We need the people with the heart in the right place to serve you. We need people who dare to challenge the boundaries and not to do more of the same. We need people who see this as a calling, rather than a job."

**** Response To Mah Bow Tan <http://singaporealternatives.blogspot.com/2011/05/response-to-mah-bow-tan.html>
Goh Meng Seng

First of all, we are not saying that Singaporeans cannot use their CPF money to buy HDB flats. We are just saying with a 30 year mortgage, there will be little money left for retirement! It seems that Mr. Mah Bow Tan either chooses to side step this problem or deliberately mislead voters about our manifesto.

Secondly, he claims that our flats sold at Cost Plus will have to be sold at the same amount and all units will look the same. This is the most uncreative way of thinking and rebuttals. We could still build very different flats with different costings but yet, selling at Cost Plus. Yes, the sales price will be different but still, it is Cost Price system.

Thirdly, he still insists that such flats cannot increase in value. I do not understand how he come to that conclusion since the resale market will still be there.

**** Thank You, Dear Supporters <http://yeejj.wordpress.com/2011/05/05/thank-you-dear-supporters/>
Yee Jenn Jong

I truly believe that this election will signal the start of a new era of politics in Singapore, one in which the people’s voices will be heard, where the ruling party will be forced to play it fair, where the ruling party will have to listen more humbly to you. This change can only come because all of you have come forward to make it happen. I have seen for myself how much the people want a change to happen. I have seen genuine outpouring of support. I have found new faith in Singaporeans, that we will embrace this change no matter how difficult the road may turn out to be.

**** My Hero - Mr. Chiam See Tong <http://ivyliciousivy.blogspot.com/2011/05/my-hero-mr-chiam-see-tong.html>
An Ivylicious Life