[MyAppleMenu] May 2, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon May 2 18:59:00 EDT 2011

**** Preliminary White iPhone 4 Teardowns Reveal Modified Lens, Proximity Sensor <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/05/01/preliminary_white_iphone_4_teardowns_reveal_modified_lens_proximity_sensor.html>
Josh Ong, AppleInsider

Early teardown images of Apple's white iPhone 4 appear to show a more recessed rear-facing camera lens and a slightly modified proximity sensor.

Steven Musil, CNET

Magazine publisher Time Inc. has reached a deal with Apple to make all of its iPad editions available for free to print subscribers, signaling a possible resolution to an impasse between Apple and publishers.

**** How Apps Stay On Top In The App Store <http://news.cnet.com/8301-27076_3-20058702-248.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=News-Apple>
Josh Lowensohn, CNET

**** Q&A: Changing The Functions Of A Mac’s F-Keys <http://gadgetwise.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/05/02/qa-changing-the-functions-of-a-macs-f-keys/?partner=rss&emc=rss>
J.d. Biersdorfer, New York Times

**** Apple's White Iphone Is <i>Not</i> Thicker Than Black Version <http://news.consumerreports.org/electronics/2011/05/apples-white-iphone-is-not-thicker-than-black-version.html>
Consumer Reports

When we compared a white iPhone 4 with a black iPhone 4 in our Yonkers, NY, lab using high-quality calipers, we found they were both the same thickness (0.37 inches). This supports Apple's assertion that the devices are the same size.

**** Poem Of The Week: Redbirds By Sara Teasdale <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/booksblog/2011/may/02/poem-of-the-week-sara-teasdale?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Carol Rumens, The Guardian

**** The Mighty Pen <http://www.tnr.com/book/review/stanley-fish-write-sentence>
Simon Blackburn, The New Republic

We humans can appreciate many things. It is one of our most attractive qualities. How could Rodolfo not fall in love with Mimi as she sings her own rapture at the first sunshine after winter, the first kiss of April? In this small feast of a book Stanley Fish displays his love of the English sentence, and even without Puccini to help, his enthusiasm is seductive. His connoisseurship is broad and deep, his examples are often breathtaking, and his analyses of how the masterpieces achieve their effects are acute and compelling.

**** Animal Farm: Must Read For Singaporean Voters <http://chaptertworeload.wordpress.com/2011/05/01/animal-farm-must-read-for-singaporean-voters/>
Aaron Ng, Chapter Two: Reload

**** GE: WP Candidate Highlights Social Costs Of Foreign Workers <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1126135/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

Speaking at a rally in Yishun on Sunday night, Mr Watson Chong said: "Immigration, foreign workers are good but taken to the extreme what we have today are a lot of social costs.

"Overcrowding, problem with integration, competing with indigenous SMEs and Singaporeans for jobs drive down wages."

**** GE: Remove Political Affiliation Between PAP And NTUC: RP <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1126137/1/.html>
Wayne Chan & Ryan Huang, Channel NewsAsia

**** Singapore As A Slum <http://mollymeek.wordpress.com/2011/05/01/singapore-as-a-slum/>
Molitics

Oh my gosh! If we were to imagine that a slum need not be an isolated, poorly maintained area occupied by poor people, could Singapore already be considered a cosmetically polished slum that is rotting at its core under the PAP government? Under the tender care of the PAP, Singapore has perhaps evolved into a prototype of a postmodern slum that is geographically dispersed, everywhere but nowhere in particular, with some areas being falsely painted with an artificial shimmer to generate an impression of prosperity which belies and represses the sense of actual destitution. The demarcation of opposition wards as slums, then, is merely a political fabrication meant to create a hologram of an inferior Other in order to sustain the fiction of the affluent self. If we could just reject this fiction for its sheer fictionality, the horror at the core of PAP ideology will be crystal-clear.

**** Counter Fear With Facts, Counter Darkness With Light <http://chaptertworeload.wordpress.com/2011/05/01/counter-fear-with-facts-counter-darkness-with-light/>
Aaron Ng, Chapter Two: Reload

In the heat of elections, political parties naturally seek any possible advantage over their opponents. Fear mongering and misinformation are part and parcel of political tactics to gain an advantage, but these tactics do not benefit voters, for they impede voters’ ability to make informed choices. It is imperative that facts be told so that informed choices can be made without fear and ignorance.

**** GE: NSP Questions If Singapore's Standard Of Living Has Increased Under PAP Govt <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1126159/1/.html>
Satish Cheney, Channel NewsAsia

National Solidarity Party candidate for Chua Chu Kang Group Representation Constituency (GRC), Jeisilan Sivalingam, has questioned whether the standard of living in Singapore had increased over the last five years under the People's Action Party (PAP) government.

He stressed that the PAP had failed to deliver the Swiss standard of living.

**** Bread And Circuses For Electoral Victory <http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2011/05/02/bread-and-circuses-for-electoral-victory/>
Au Waipang, Yawning Bread

Another thing very unusual about these off-season getais is that cabinet ministers and incumbent members of parliament are invited to participate, and doubtless readers will see that they are thinly veiled election events.

It’s a convenient way to “bond” with residents just in time for the general election. And what’s more, the whole shebang doesn’t count within the electoral expenses limit of S$3.50 per elector — as prescribed in the Third Schedule of the Parliamentary Elections Act.

**** Getting Behind The PAP’s Fear-mongering <http://www.sgpolitics.net/?p=6698>
Ng E-Jay, Sgpolitics.net

It is time for voters to look squarely at how illogical the PAP style of fear-mongering is. On one hand, the PAP accuses the opposition of having the ambition to take over government, as if that is a bad ambition. But doesn’t the PAP itself strive not just to be in power, but to overwhelmingly be in power in each and every election?

According to PAP logic, the opposition wants to gain power for selfish ends, while the PAP alone wants power in order to do good for the country.

Look at this brand of PAP logic squarely, and tell me whether it can ever make any sense whatsoever.

**** My Message To The New Paper: <i>No Picture No Talk</i> <http://www.sgpolitics.net/?p=6703>
Ng E-Jay, Sgpolitics.net

The New Paper’s motive is very obvious. They know that the public does not like SDP’s civil disobedience strategy in the past. So they are trying to make the illegal demonstration issue resurface. They are trying to paint Dr Chee as someone who is prepared to go down the demonstration route again, and in so doing, tar the image of SDP again in the eyes of the public.

This is wicked, insidious, and downright malicious.

Again, I say to The New Paper: NPNT. Either produce concerete evidence that Dr Chee did actually try to carry out a street demonstration, or just Sit Down And Shut Up.

**** SDP's Tan Jee Say Saddened By Former Boss SM Goh's Remarks <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110502-0000325/SDPs-Tan-Jee-Say-saddened-by-former-boss-SM-Gohs-remarks>
Hoe Yeen Nie, Today

Mr Tan said: "I have given five of my best years in my career to Mr Goh and I did not expect such comments from him. I wish he had not gone down to the personal level."

**** Ministers Have Lost Their Way: Steve Chia <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110502-0000371/Ministers-have-lost-their-way--Steve-Chia>
Shamir Osman, Today

National Solidarity Party (NSP) candidate Tony Tan, 41, yesterday called for a contest of ideas and policies - and not politicking - as the clock ticks down to Polling Day on May 7.

At an NSP rally last night at Jurong West Stadium, Mr Tan drew attention to his opponent's suggestion in Parliament during the 2009 recession that the Government should give tax breaks to those in the highest income bracket.

Mr Tan said he could not understand why Mr Yeo looked to reduce the tax burden on the rich at the height of the recession when many were worried about keeping their jobs. "Perhaps Mr Alvin Yeo can explain why he put the ordinary Singaporean second. It means you're his second choice," he said.

**** PAP Is Running An Incoherent Campaign.... <http://singaporemind.blogspot.com/2011/05/pap-is-running-incoherent-campaign.html>
Diary Of A Singapore Mind

When you compare what the MM said with relatively simple but effective ideas from the Opposition like removing GST from essential items and medical bills, you wonder what is going on in the PAP.

Yes, taking up 30 year loans to own public housing is not an issue. Emptying your CPF contributions for 30 years is not an issue. Can someone tell me what is wrong with Mah Bow Tan these days?

The PAP has been depending on its upgrading pork barrel and propaganda  to get votes and has lost its ability to campaign.

**** GE: Foreign Workers The Hot Topic At Rallies <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1126190/1/.html>
Today

SINGAPORE: The Opposition parties on Sunday reiterated their message that the influx of foreigners has left Singaporeans worse off - as they sought to assure non-Singaporeans that they have nothing against them.

"To all my foreigner friends, I assure you, we are not xenophobic ... We are just fighting for the basic rights of our fellow Singaporeans," said Workers' Party (WP) candidate for Nee Soon GRC John Yam Poh Nam.

**** GE: We Understand Nee Soon's Kampung Spirit, Says WP <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1126194/1/.html>
Teo Xuanwei, Today

"Do you remember when the PAP Government took back your land?" she said, referring to the Government's resettlement of villagers in the area in the '80s and '90s.

"People of Nee Soon, our team understands who you are. We understand the Nee Soon heritage. We understand that, for you, community and family come first."

**** WP's Low Hits Back At PAP Leaders <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110502-0000367/WPs-Low-hits-back-at-PAP-leaders>
Tanya Fong, Today

Mr Goh had said at the PAP rally in the Marine Parade Group Representation Constituency (GRC) on Saturday night that the Opposition lacked substance and also scrutinised the concept of a First World Parliament. He said he researched it on the Internet and found two entries.

Mr Low responded: "I am afraid the SM is not thorough enough. There should be at least three entries. He forgot his mentor MM Lee, who also spoke about it in 2006. But I will not tell him where to find it. He has enough resources to find it himself."

Mr Low was referring to minister mentor Lee Kuan Yew's statement in the 2006 General Election, where MM Lee had stated: "We want to have a First World Parliament for Singapore, so we need to have a First World Government and a First World Opposition. If you want us to treat you as gentlemen, argue on the merits of your policy and our policy. Take it to a higher level and we will treat you accordingly and respond accordingly."

**** SDP's Michelle Lee Questions Govt Spending <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110502-0000359/SDPs-Michelle-Lee-questions-Govt-spending>
Ansley Ng And Christopher Toh, Today

They peg their salaries to the top six professions. Ministers, therefore, should expect the same kind of scrutiny on their work and expenditure in their respective ministries, Singapore Democratic Party candidate Michelle Lee said last night.

Raising issue with the spending at Mr Balakrishnan's Ministry of Community Development, Youth and Sports (MCYS), Ms Lee said MCYS expenditure doubled from S$898 million in 2006 to about S$1.8 billion last year - with the figure for last year probably including the near-S$400 million spent on the Youth Olympics Games (YOG).

"It is probably the only government ministry whose spending has increased so quickly and by so much. With such a bloated budget for MCYS, has this spending benefitted you?" she asked. "The poor on the public assistance scheme had their allowance increase by only a little over $1 a day last month. Is Singapore now world famous for the YOG?"

**** Peg Ministers' Pay To Workers' Salaries, Says Opposition <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110502-0000366/Peg-ministers-pay-to-workers-salaries,-says-Opposition>
Loh Chee Kong, Today

The Opposition parties are not letting up on the issue of ministerial salaries, as they continued to shine the spotlight on what government ministers are earning, on a day which commemorated the efforts of working men and women.

Suggesting that the ministerial salaries should instead be benchmarked at 30 times the median salary of the Singaporean worker - thus working out to almost S$1 million a year - the Singapore Democratic Party's Michelle Lee (picture) said: "That would ensure it is in their interest to make sure your salary increases as well."

Also calling for greater scrutiny of the performance of the ministers and their ministries, Ms Lee, a candidate for Holland-Bukit Timah GRC, said: "CEOs are fired for their mistakes. Businessmen take risks and losses. So how can the private sector be a fair benchmark?"

**** CPF Draw-down Age 'Should Be Lowered To 60' <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110502-0000364/CPF-draw-down-age-should-be-lowered-to-60>
Today

Speaking at the WP rally for Nee Soon Group Representation Constituency (GRC), Ms Lim said: "The money in your CPF account belongs to you. But for many years, the PAP has been changing the rules and doing what it wants to keep your CPF money secure from you."

Ms Lim said her party believes the CPF system should be more flexible; draw-down age should be lowered to 60 and those facing financial problems should be allowed to tap on their CPF savings under "strict guidelines".

Mr Steve Chia, the National Solidarity Party candidate for Pioneer SMC, accused the PAP Government for changing the "social contract" at will, while Singapore Democratic Alliance secretary-general Desmond Lim pledged to fight for the lowering of the DDA to 55 if he is elected.

**** Why It's Vital To Have Rigorous Debates <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_663565.html>
Yap Sze Hon, Straits Times

The fair and gracious way our leaders earn their mandate sets the standard for the next generation to aspire to. Let us show our young that in a civilised society, people can disagree with one another in a gentlemanly way. It is tempting to hit below the belt to knock your opponents out, but you lose your moral authority even if you win. Conversely, candidates who fight well despite the odds will be remembered, even if they lose, for their courage and dignity.

**** Unfair Criticisms Of Opposition <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/OnlineStory/STIStory_663513.html>
Leong Weizhen, Straits Times

Foreign minister George Yeo claims that the Workers' Party's (WP) 'A' team contesting in Aljunied has put residents there in an 'emotional dilemma'. This defensive remark is unfair to the WP team. If there is an emotional dilemma, it is not the WP's fault but that of the Group Representation Constituency system. Isn't the PAP's tactic of pairing a senior candidate with weaker ones causing the same problem for voters?

**** High Salaries Have Not Attracted Candidates: WP <http://www.straitstimes.com/GeneralElection/News/Story/STIStory_663610.html>
Marc Lim And Teh Joo Lin, Straits Times

Workers' Party (WP) chief Low Thia Khiang attacked Singapore's high ministerial pay, which is intended to ensure that quality candidates from the private sector step forward.

'So what happened to the high-quality people from the private sector that the high salaries are supposed to attract?' he asked, at the rally at Yishun Stadium.

'It's a sign that good governance doesn't necessarily require high salaries. So it's time for you to decide - if you want good governance, you must vote WP and move towards a First World Parliament.'

**** 谢镜丰:把外劳宿舍 迁移到裕群区外围 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp110502_022.shtml>
李蕙心, 联合早报

国民团结党先驱单选区候选人谢镜丰建议,把外劳宿舍迁移到较少人居住的裕群区外围,以解决外劳给先驱区居民带来的困扰。

谢镜丰认为,安装闭路电视根本解决不了外劳带来的环境卫生问题。安装闭路电视系统将耗费市镇理事会的资金,居民可能得支付更高的组屋杂费来维修这些监视器。

**** 义顺工人党领军任保南:Ir究竟为国人制造多少份工作? <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp110502_024.shtml>
何惜薇, 联合早报

**** The Vexatious Minister Mentor <http://singaporerecalcitrant.blogspot.com/2011/05/vexatious-minister-mentor.html>
Singapore Recalcitrant

**** Mixed Feelings – By-Election Effect, Fear, Frustration And Change In Aljunied <http://thesunshineson.wordpress.com/2011/05/01/mixed-feelings-by-election-effect-fear-frustration-and-change-in-aljunied/>
The Sun Shines On Singapore

The PAP is drawing WP in a debate on First World Parliament and the WP appears to be sucked into that debate which works well for the rest of Singapore, but probably less so for Aljunied voters. WP stands on the high ground so far striking a chord with the rest of Singapore, but Aljunied might feel different about it. Or they might not and actually back the First World Parliament dream and live with the trade-off of being in an opposition ward. The hustings are not over yet though.

**** MM Lee’s Thinly Disguised Intimidation Is Par For The Course <http://thetwophilo.wordpress.com/2011/05/01/mm-lee’s-thinly-disguised-intimidation-is-par-for-the-course-2/>
Thetwophilo's Blog

I would go one step further to say that if the opposition parties win big on 7 May 2011 by taking over two-three other GRCs on top of Aljunied (e.g. Marine Parade, Tampines and Holland-Bukit Timah) and some SMCs, or perform even better, they together would have the critical mass to operate their TCs cost-effectively and successfully through economy of scale and close collaboration.

This is an extremely good reason for the opposition to go all out to secure the seats they are contesting. Voters who can see the need to roll back the moribund domination of the PAP should cast their votes without fear to deliver the critical mass of opposition MPs into Parliament on 7th May 2011.

**** Election Watch Part XIII - Five Years To Ruminate And To Regret Or A Climate Of Fear For PAP To Face Aljunied GRC Voters <http://de-leviathan.blogspot.com/2011/05/election-watch-part-xiii-five-years-to.html>
De Leviathan @ Sg

**** If George Yeo Goes, It’s The PAP’s Fault <http://politicshap.wordpress.com/2011/05/01/if-george-yeo-goes-its-the-paps-fault/>
Politics

Personally, I’d like George Yeo to remain as Foreign Affairs minister, but like Aljunied residents, I think the Workers’ Party’s idea of a First World Parliament is beneficial for S’pore’s future. Who is at fault for creating this ‘emotional dilemma’?

**** If Aljunied Were Won Or Lost By PAP <http://politicshap.wordpress.com/2011/05/01/if-aljunied-were-won-or-lost-by-pap/>
Politics

If the PAP wins Aljunied with a narrow margin on 7 May, in the next elections, there will be a huge possibility the GRC will be carved out. It’ll disappear on the electoral map.

**** Let’s Not Forget The East Coast <http://kentridgecommon.com/?p=11490>
Jerry Low, The Kent Ridge Common

Little has been said about East Coast GRC, but it would be foolish to discount this place entirely.

**** $1.2 Billion To Build A River In Bishan Park ??? <http://www.temasekreview.com/2011/05/01/1-2-billion-to-build-a-river-in-bishan-park/>
The Temasek Review

This is absolutely improper use and allocation of public funds. The PAP would rather spend S$1.2 billion dollars on a river, instead of allocating the fund to causes that need urgent attention!

**** Nicole Makes Politics Cool Again <http://satayclub.net/2011/05/nicole-makes-politics-cool-again/>
Cheryl Chan, Satayclub.net

Nicole Seah is not going to change all of this overnight. However, her meteoric rise to stardom has confirmed that there is hope for Singapore’s youth. By bringing political consciousness back into the mainstream – where it undoubtedly belongs – she has reminded young Singaporeans that they have a crucial role to play in shaping the country’s future.

**** What SM Should Say Have Said Abt Jee Say <http://atans1.wordpress.com/2011/05/02/what-sm-should-say-have-said-abt-jee-say/>
Thoughts Of A Cynical Investor

But as 20 years have passed, the decent (and devasting) thing for Goh to have said was, “That was a long time ago, his being my PPS. Mr Tan Jee Say should be judged by what he has done since then. What is his track record as fund manager, investment adviser or investor.

Anyway, this incident further confirms my view that Goh Chok Tong should never have been prime minister. And disproves the theory that serious money attracts gd people into politics.

**** Governance Is A Battle. The Enemy Is The People <http://newasiarepublic.com/?p=28181>
Ng Cher Pheng, New Asia Republic

Yet, the PAP must realize that for every safety barrier they erect around us, for every of our limbs they tie, for every painstaking measure they think of, we are a distortion further away from democracy.

I don’t believe that the rough and rumble western arena is the ideal, but neither do I think we will be satisfied with this paternal, padded playpen of a democracy.

**** What Has The PAP Done For Us Singaporeans? <http://ian.onthereddot.com/2011/05/01/what-has-the-pap-done-for-us-singaporeans/>
Ian On The Red Dot

The people in the PAP today are different from those in the past, and it is important we ask if they still hold the same values. If they do not, then they are no longer the PAP we grew up with, which means, we cannot keep supporting them just because of past glories.

**** If You Want The Opposition To Win This Election, Here’s What You Should Do.. <http://kentridgecommon.com/?p=11470>
Christopher Ong, The Kent Ridge Common

This election, make it a point to contact your friends, particularly those living in the hotly contested wards of Aljunied, Holland-Bukit Timah etc. to take a stand with their votes this elections.

We are talking about elderly Singaporean aunties and uncles, who clean and wait tables at hawker centers, those who do not know that they are being disenfranchised by the system.

This election, their vote matters.

**** Your Vote Is Secret. Make Your Vote Count. <http://alvinology.com/2011/05/02/your-vote-is-secret-make-your-vote-count/>
Alvinology

Quoting from the PAP: “Vote wisely.”

Quoting from Chen Show Mao from the WP: “Singapore, don’t be a cowardly lion.”

Please pass this on.

**** An Open Letter To The Mainstream Media Of Singapore <http://rachelzeng.wordpress.com/2011/05/02/an-open-letter-to-the-mainstream-media-of-singapore/>
Rachel Zeng

I am totally disgusted, and I hope that you apologise to Dr Chee. He could have sued you, but he will never get as low as those who did the same to him. How can you even continue to tarnish the name of this man year after year, and not feel a sense of guilt in you at all?

Please, do ponder over your journalistic and editorial conduct. Check your facts before you write with your pens of unjustified poison.

**** Wah Lau, TNP, Buay Pai Seh Ah? <http://kirstenhan.me/2011/05/02/wah-lau-tnp-buay-pai-seh-ah/>
Funny Little World

Now, it is my turn to ask: what is TNP’s “agenda”? Why try so hard to cast doubt on the character of Dr Chee Soon Juan now, so close to Polling Day, and to make it seem like there is a growing rift in the SDP? Why go to so much effort to piece together hearsay (that could possibly have been totally fabricated as far as “unnamed” sources are concerned) to make the party look bad? Why couldn’t they just have reported the rally honestly and properly, instead of digging around for dirt?

Would TNP ever have run a story based on hearsay and anonymous sources like this about the PAP? I find it hard to believe.

**** Wee Hour Campaigning <http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2011/5/2/nation/8592093&sec=nation>
Shahanaaz Habib, The Star

**** Attacking Tan Jee Say – Why? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/05/attacking-tan-jee-say-why/>
Leong Sze Hian, The Online Citizen

This is in my view, a crucial moment in Singapore’s history, as we may be on the verge of taking the first steps towards being a real democracy.

After all, as Singaporeans, aren’t we all on the same side, whichever party we belong to or support?

In my view, all this talk of a ‘freak election’ is utter nonsense, as no democracy can function without allowing the fundamental free vote of the people.

**** PAP Forgets Its Own Track Record As An Opposition Party <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/05/pap-forgets-its-own-track-record-as-an-opposition-party/>
Bhavan Jaipragas, The Online Citizen

Where then has this austere defender of democracy gone? One would not be too out of step to wonder if the PAP and its founder – extremely boastful of their ‘track record’ in the past few days – have forgotten their own history. The PAP brethren’s irreverence to the idea of a potent opposition in parliament runs in direct contrast to the stance of their minister mentor in 1964.

**** Are SDP Posters Being Taken Down? <http://yoursdp.org/index.php/news/singapore/4782-are-sdp-posters-being-taken-down>
Singapore Democratic Party

A resident at the Yuhua SMC alerted us to a lorry that was removing SDP posters (pictured) while leaving the PAP's alone. The vehicle doesn't look like the one that we are using to mount our posters.

Still on the subject of posters. Each poster that is mounted needs to have an Elections Department sticker affixed on it. For the Holland-Bukit Timah GRC the number of stickers issued was 2,000. This works out to only 500 posters per candidate which seems extremely low.

We will query the Elections Department on this and find out if there was a discrepancy in the number of stickers being handed out to parties.

**** The Carrot And The Stick <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/05/the-carrot-and-the-stick/>
Lim Suat Hong, The Online Citizen

To this group of people, or anyone who is looking for financial assistance from the powers that be and feel that voting with your head and heart will diminish your chances, think of it as a handout – the same way the “care and share” package which is in your accounts today is a handout. It comes once every five years and it may look good, but think how hard you have worked, how much we have all already paid for this package and ask yourself: can you really afford to pay the “true cost” of this package which comes with a PAP government which has increasingly lost touch with the ground, made monumental losses to our reserves, totally miscalculated the YOG budget, allowed a dangerous terrorist to limp out of Singapore and have basically run out of ideas and now stand on morally shaky ground?

**** Vincent Wijeysingha: This Is Home Where I Root Myself <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/05/vincent-wijeysingha-this-is-home-where-i-root-myself/>
Loke Hoe Yeong, The Online Citizen

Speaking at the end of the SDP’s rally last night, Dr Wijeysingha articulated a powerful vision of a Singaporean community of neighbours and friends. Such a community, he said, was already in existence with the old kampung links and three/four-generational homes. But extended families were broken up by the divisive policies of the PAP, with their understanding of society ‘shaped by money, fear and selfishness’, he added.

While acknowledging that asset management and GDP growth are important to the nation, they are the ‘hardware’ which should exist only to serve the ‘software that makes life worth living.’

**** Debunking The Pillar Of The Elected President <http://singaporedesk.blogspot.com/2011/05/debunking-pillar-of-elected-president.html>
Singapore Notes

So is the elected presidency a fundamental pillar of government? Not in its present form it isn't. It's more of a crutch for those with a perverse sense of justice and in desperate need of some third party to expose the flaws of their legalistic reasoning.

**** In The Battle For Votes, Posters And Prayers Count <http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2011/05/02/in-the-battle-for-votes-posters-and-prayers-count/>
Au Waipang, Yawning Bread

**** On The Topic Of Loose Cannons <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/05/on-the-topic-of-loose-cannons/>
Elliot Aruldoss, The Online Citizen

Do not be mistaken. We are not attacking the baseless, one-sided and un-objective view presented to us by Mr Melvin Singh. What we are more concerned about is the sad state of mainstream media, which had no problems both approving and publishing such an ‘article’. This reflection of mainstream media begs the question if there are hidden agendas being published and whether the mass media is an tool for ‘somebody’s’ propaganda. Would Mr Singh or Ms Sim write an article in the same manner about Singapore’s ruling Party; the People’s Action Party, the PAP, bearing in mind this article would reach thousands of confused Singapore citizens?

**** GE: NSP Says National Service Duration Can Be Reduced <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1126298/1/.html>
Satish Cheney, Channel NewsAsia

The National Solidarity Party's candidate for Marine Parade GRC, Mr Spencer Ng said its possible to achieve a balance between having a strong defence and saving money for welfare.

**** Why Hougang Flats’ Value Is Lower <http://trulysingapore.wordpress.com/2011/05/01/why-hougang-flats-value-is-lower/>
Yours Truly Singapore

You said the value of Singaporeans’ flats have grown over the years. You omitted to say that with that, the price of all future flats would have grown as well so future generations will end up paying more.

You said the government has given the people a valuable asset that is guaranteed to make money. But you omitted to say where that money comes from. That money will come from our children and our children’s children.

**** US$1.3b For Voters: Is It Boodle? <http://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/2011/05/02/us1-3b-for-voters-is-it-boodle/>
Maxwell Coopers, Free Malaysia Today

At most PAP rallies there has been no mention of how it plans to tackle the growing socio-economic divide in the country growing exponentially year after year. And there is also no mention of how the PAP plans to lower the rising cost of public housing.

**** GE: Study World Bank To Boost CPF, Says WP <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1126323/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

Worker's Party's candidate for Aljunied Group Representation Constituency (GRC) Chen Show Mao has urged Singapore to follow recommendations by the World Bank to strengthen the CPF model and grow the people's money.

"Inflation is close to five per cent... Does a 2.5 per cent interest rate on CPF represent a good return?" Mr Chen said.

"We suggest Singapore follows international best practices recommended by the World Bank and study the feasibility of a pension fund model to enhance the returns on our CPF monies."

**** NSP's Goh Meng Seng : We Are A Country Not A Company.... <http://singaporemind.blogspot.com/2011/05/nsps-goh-meng-seng-we-are-country-not.html>
Diary Of A Singapore Mind

The bottomline is you can't run a country like a corporation when you have a democracy. The PAP tried for a long time to undermine the democratic system by making the playing field as unlevel as possible. However, as dissatisfaction with the PAP among voters grows, the PAP will be made to "un-corporatise" itself by putting Singaporeans at the center of policy making.

**** The PAP Team In Aljunied <http://mrwangsaysso.blogspot.com/2011/05/pap-team-in-aljunied.html>
Gilbert Koh, Mr Wang Says So

Lim Hwee Hua has been in charge of public transport. Sorry, Hwee Hua, that means you get an instant black mark in my book.

Last and possibly least, we have Cynthia Phua. This name I recognise, and back in May 2008, I also blogged about a Straits Times article which quoted her. Alas, the ST article contains nothing that would make me regard her more positively. On the contrary, re-reading that ST article now just makes me feel wary about what clever new ideas the PAP might come up with, to extract more money from Aljunied residents.

**** CC Says Cannot Do Political "Business" In Their Toilet <http://www.mrbrown.com/blog/2011/05/cc-says-cannot-do-political-business-in-their-toilet.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+mrbrown+%28mrbrown%29>
mrbrown

Standing guard at the toilet to prevent it from being used for political purposes. Wow, what a vigilant group of People's Association (PA) folks. As you all know, PA has nothing to do with PAP. Absolutely nothing.

**** No Dr. Goh Keng Swee So We Need Opposition In Parliament <http://blogging4myself.blogspot.com/2011/05/no-dr-goh-keng-swee-so-we-need.html>
Blogging for Myself

Remember Dr. Goh had repeated walkovers in his Kreta Ayer constituency. It was stupid to contest against him. Today PAP MPs do not deserve to be treated like Dr. Goh. I am glad most of them are being challenged to defend their seats. I am unhappy that they are uncreative about it, following a template. I was glad that former MP Tan Cheng Bock resisted their cookie cutter strategy and succeeded spectacularly. I am unhappy that the GRC system had given us stability but only by making the system more fragile and prone to catastrophe.

**** Where Is Teo Ser Luck Rally Video, <i>Today</i>? <http://www.mrbrown.com/blog/2011/05/where-is-teo-ser-luck-rally-video-today.html>
mrbrown

It looks like Today has deleted the rally speech of Teo Ser Luck from their YouTube channel. Why ah? His smoldering performance was too much to take for the viewers ah?

**** ‘No Other Govt Has Served Its People Thus’ <http://trulysingapore.wordpress.com/2011/05/01/no-other-govt-has-served-its-people-thus/>
Yours Truly Singapore

Mr Wong asks which other government in the world takes care of its people the way the PAP does? Actually, most European countries take better care of its people because retirement is paid for by the state whereas here, the PAP wants us to sell our houses to fund retirement.

Ms Foo spoke of the government’s steady hand through the recent financial crisis which ensured that our country emerged unscathed. Actually, all of East Asia emerged unscathed, PAP government or not.

**** 只要是为了新加坡 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/ge/pages/ge110502aj.shtml>
黄钰, 联合早报

他说,他是行动党党员,支持行动党,但他也理解有些人可能支持的是反对党。“没有关系啦,最重要是为新加坡好,只要是为了新加坡就好了。”

**** GE: Income Gap, Housing, Foreign Talent Par For Course At Opposition Rallies <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1126339/1/.html>
Chitra Rajaram, Channel NewsAsia

Widening income gap, affordable housing, plight of the elderly and foreign talent were once again the order of the evening again and again at opposition rallies across the island on Monday night.

**** Voting For The Opposition Won't Sink The Ship: SPP <http://www.straitstimes.com/GeneralElection/News/Story/STIStory_663867.html>
Melissa Pang, Straits Times

**** To Some Voters, Elections Are A Bother, To Others, An Opportunity <http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2011/05/03/4162/>
Au Waipang, Yawning Bread

“So people have grouses,” goes another question I ask all candidates I meet. “Do they connect that to voting for an opposition party? How do they reason out that voting for an opposition party is a way to solving those problems?”

Here, I get diverse answers. A few candidates were very candid in their answers, generally saying that this is a problem and can be a big unknown. One spoke about how people seem to want immediate relief, but the simple fact is that no opposition party can promise that. If a voter goes away unconvinced that next week, after voting day, things will get better quickly, he may not vote for an opposition party at all.

**** GE: NSP Rebuts SM Goh's Comment On Its Shotgun Approach <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1126351/1/.html>
Timothy Ouyang & Stefan Loe, Channel NewsAsia

The National Solidarity Party has shot back at Senior Minister Goh Chok Tong's accusation that the opposition just shoots and hopes it will hit the ruling party on issues. Its candidate for Marine Parade GRC, Mr Spencer Ng Chung Hon said what the party is shooting for, is accountability.

Mr Ng said: "All the issues that the Marine Parade team came up with are all the real issues, issues that every one of us are concerned with. Have you lost touch with the people? - or (has) our shotgun shot you with so many holes (that) you don't know which one to answer first? We believe that Mr Goh is clever enough to know what we are driving at - accountability."

**** GE: "I Don't Want To Destroy Anything, I Want A Better S'pore", Says RP Chief <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1126354/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

Reform Party (RP) chief and candidate for West Coast Group Representation Constituency (GRC) Kenneth Jeyaretnam said he wants to make politics an ordinary activity.

He said competition is just as essential in politics as it is in business.

**** Auntie Power <http://chaptertworeload.wordpress.com/2011/05/02/auntie-power/>
Aaron Ng, Chapter Two: Reload

Instead, these aunties are perhaps more concerned with whether the fish or vegetable prices at the wet markets are going up or down, or whether their favourite fried carrot cake or daily cup of morning coffee at the kopitiam stalls downstairs have increased prices. Or they might be worried about whether the world they know, the world in which there’s only the PAP, will collapse should the PAP be voted out.

**** PAP Has Abused Power To Secure Political Advantage: WP <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/05/pap-has-abused-power-to-secure-political-advantage-wp/>
Andrew Loh, The Online Citizen

Mr Low cited the People’s Association (PA) as an example of such abuse, through its network of Residents’ Committees (RCs), Citizen Consultative Committees (CCCs). “They also organize activities which PAP candidates are invited to attend so that these new candidates can build up rapport quickly on the ground,” Mr Low said. The party had brought up the matter in earlier rallies. “The PAP has yet to respond to the issue,” said Mr Low.

The GRC system and the issue of gerrymandering were also highlighted by the WP in its other rallies. “Again, no response,” said Mr Low, referring to the PAP. “Instead, we have MM Lee jumping up and down about the contest in Aljunied GRC.”

“But I think he has to watch his Tanjong Pagar GRC teammate, Chan Chun Sing, carefully,” Mr Low said, who referred to the answer Mr Chan had given when asked for his views on new PAP candidates not serving National Service (NS).

Mr Low took issue with Mr Chan’s comments. “Is he saying that National Service is not important? That it does not matter whether one serves National Service? I do not feel [it is] right that the PAP should fill a foreign talent who just became a new citizen without serving National Service as a candidate.”