[MyAppleMenu] May 1, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun May 1 18:59:00 EDT 2011

**** Objective-C's Niche: Why It Survives In A World Of Alternatives <http://cocoawithlove.com/2009/10/objective-c-niche-why-it-survives-in.html>
Matt Gallagher, Cocoa With Love

Objective-C remains an impediment for many programmers coming to the Mac or iPhone platforms — few programmers have ever experienced it before learning Cocoa, forcing two learning curves at once for new Cocoa developers. How did Apple end up with such a weird language? And for a company known to replace CPU architectures and their entire operating system, why does Apple persist with Objective-C? The answer lies in the methods.

**** Is The Happy Ending Making A Comeback? <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/may/01/taxi-nyc-la-royal-wedding?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Robert McCrum, The Guardian

>From a fairytale wedding to news of an unlikely cab ride – are audiences regaining their appetite for cheerful stories?

**** The Power Of Not Knowing <http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ideas/articles/2011/05/01/the_power_of_not_knowing/?rss_id=Boston+Globe+--+Ideas+section>
Erin McKean, Boston Globe

Why is this — the lexical equivalent of sticking your fingers in your ears and saying “la la la, I can’t hear you” — such a strangely persistent little witticism?

**** Building A Thinking Room <http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748703778104576287121392285518.html>
Jonah Lehrer, Wall Street Journal

Today, it turns out, the real cutting edge of architecture has to do with the psychology of buildings, not just their appearance. Recently, scientists have begun to focus on how architecture and design can influence our moods, thoughts and health. They've discovered that everything—from the quality of a view to the height of a ceiling, from the wall color to the furniture—shapes how we think.

**** GE2011: What I'm Getting Up To <http://siewkumhong.blogspot.com/2011/05/ge2011-what-im-getting-up-to.html>
Siew Kum Hong

MARUAH will be doing monitoring how the Straits Times, TODAY and The New Paper cover the GE for the duration of the campaign.

**** GE: Compassionate Govt Vital, Says NSP's Hazel Poa <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1125983/1/.html>
Ryan Huang, Channel NewsAsia

National Solidarity Party (NSP) candidate for Chua Chu Kang Group Representation Constituency (GRC) Hazel Poa called on voters to recognise the importance of having a more compassionate government.

Ms Poa, who said this on Saturday at a rally held near Jalan Tenteram, pointed out it was more important for the government to focus on housing Singaporeans and addressing income inequality, instead of worrying about growing its reserves.

**** GE: Desmond Choo Wants To Give Hougang The Best It Deserves <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1125975/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

PAP's candidate for Hougang, Desmond Choo, has said he wants to give the constituency the best it deserves.

Mr Choo said his programmes for Hougang cover four key areas: improving facilities for the young and old; expanding healthcare, education, transport and social assistance programmes for residents in need; opening a job placement centre to help residents get jobs close to their homes, and fostering a community spirit by recruiting residents as volunteers to help the elderly.

**** Workers' Party For Aljunied GRC <http://thinkingbetterthinkingmeta.blogspot.com/2011/05/workers-party-for-aljunied-grc.html>
Sam Ho, Sam's Thoughts

When Singaporeans ask "why?" and "how come?", more smoke and more diversions are created. What does this say about the readiness to be honest, accountable and to stay in touch with various segments of society?

How can we have an informed electorate when the flow of information and the management of the mainstream media are all oriented towards the interest of a particular political party?

**** SPP: “The People Shall Not Be Bullied Any More.” <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/05/spp-“the-people-shall-not-be-bullied-any-more-”/>
Benjamin Cheah, The Online Citizen

The rally was more focused on generating buzz and rousing the crowd than proposing ideas. The speeches were more engaging than the previous night’s rally, perhaps as part of a shift in strategy. The adoration in the air was palpable. The rally, however, risks coming across as too shallow, by focusing on bashing the PAP and uplifting the candidates without actually delivering concrete ideas. This could signal a shift in the SPP’s strategy towards a more emotive-based form of campaigning. How well it works remains to be seen.

**** Nicole Seah — The Hottest Sensation Of GE 2011 <http://www.sgpolitics.net/?p=6689>
Sgpolitics.net

One key issue pertinent to Nicole’s campaign is the rising cost of living that is straining the middle and lower classes. She also wants to represent the voices of young Singaporeans who feel that they want a stake in Singapore, who feel that they want to have their voices heard, but who have been apathetic all this while because they feel powerless to make any real change.

**** A Photo, A Pullout And Online Media's Impact On An Election <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110501-0000282/A-photo,-a-pullout-and-online-medias-impact-on-an-election>
P N Balji, Today

It is early days yet but two defining media moments have already popped up to demonstrate the influence of the Internet in next week's General Election.

One, the publication of a wide-angle shot of the large crowd at the Workers' Party (WP) rally in Hougang in The Straits Times on Friday. Would this photograph have seen the light of day if not for an intrepid blogger's similar, and now famous, shot in the 2006 elections?

The second defining moment came on Nomination Day when the People's Action Party's new candidate, Mr Steve Tan, caused a stir by pulling out of the electoral race. Observers linked his abrupt withdrawal to accusations by his former women colleagues surfacing on the wild, wild Web. As campaigning goes into overdrive, the flow of information and comments via the online world is only going to get more intense and furious.

**** A 70-year-old's Tip For Nicole Seah ... <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110501-0000311/A-70-year-olds-tip-for-Nicole-Seah-,,,>
Today

Seventy-year-old Marine Parade resident David Ng chatted with her, giving the rookie politician tips: Take the hype in stride, be prudent in speech. "Once it is out there, you cannot take it back," he told her. As he alighted at Raffles Place, Ms Seah thanked him for the advice.

Ultimately, she understands the responsibility she has taken on. "Being in the public eye is an honour. I know I have a responsibility to gain and keep people's trust."

**** Please Do Not Take Us For A Ride: Glenda Han <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110501-0000353/Please-do-not-take-us-for-a-ride--Glenda-Han>
Christopher Toh, Today

Ms Glenda Han, a 35-year-old businesswoman, questioned the reason for increasing public transport fare's during the last recession.

"Please do not take us for a ride," she said. "Not only do we have to accept the higher prices, we have to shove and push our way into the trains ... does [transport minister Raymond Lim] know how frustrating that is?"

Her East Coast GRC running mate Eric Tan said the problem lies in the fact that the two public transport companies are listed on the stock exchange. "They have to maximise profits for the shareholders. Clearly there's a conflict of interest," said the private equity fund manager.

**** SDP's Gomez Unveils Void Deck Proposal <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110501-0000312/SDPs-Gomez-unveils-void-deck-proposal>
Cheow Xin Yi, Today

Convert void decks to polyclinics to help ease the crunch on medical facilities. Start a bus service on a non-profit basis that will cost less.

These are some of the recommendations put forward by Singapore Democratic Party (SDP) candidate James Gomez as he unveiled what was dubbed "SDP's Peoples' Plan" for residents in the Sembawang Group Representation Constituency (GRC).

Dr Gomez even went down to the specifics, identifying vacant plots of land where existing polyclinic services can be extended. The plans, he said, are not "cast in stone".

**** Length Of Loan Is Not The Issue: Mah Bow Tan <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110501-0000297/Length-of-loan-is-not-the-issue--Mah-Bow-Tan>
Ansley Ng, Today

It is not the length of the loan but the percentage of monthly income repayable to the housing loan that matters, said minister for national development Mah Bow Tan in response to an Opposition point that paying for a HDB flat on a 30-year loan makes it unaffordable.

And shorter loan period is affordable to lower-income families?

**** SDP’s Prospects May Be Pointing North <http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2011/05/01/sdps-prospects-may-be-pointing-north/>
Au Waipang, Yawning Bread

Overall, I think the attendance in 2011 was about twice the number of 2006. Several SDP volunteers I spoke to likewise gave me the same assessment. It’s a hopeful sign. Whether that increase is enough to dent Khaw Boon Wan’s confidence will only be known after Polling Day.

At Woodlands, Tan Jee Say noted Vivian Balakrishnan’s demurral again, but went on to tell the audience that the government has never revealed a figure for Singapore’s reserves. Reveal the figure, he challenged the government, and let Singaporeans decide whether sixty billion is small change or not, he said. The crowd roared its approval.

**** Goalpost Smaller Than The Ball: WP Chief Low <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110501-0000354/Goalpost-smaller-than-the-ball--WP-chief-Low>
Teo Xuanwei, Today

Workers' Party (WP) chief Low Thia Khiang fired his second salvo in as many days at the ruling party, lambasting the People's Action Party (PAP) last night for using various unfair means to make it "almost impossible" for the Opposition to gain a grassroots foothold in constituencies.

First, unlike PAP MPs, they cannot organise activities in community clubs - which are run by the Government-funded People's Association. Town councils in PAP constituencies would also reject their applications to book venues to hold activities for residents, he said.

The PAP Community Foundation, which the HDB charges "very cheap rental", also sublets space to the PAP, allowing it to have branches in every constituency, he added.

**** No End To Confusion Over PAP’s Arrogance <http://www.sgpolitics.net/?p=6693>
Ng E-Jay, Sgpolitics.net

This does not sound like a Senior Minister who is confident of himself and the PAP team. It sounds like a person is a sore, jealous, and has given in to the temptation to nit-pick and cast aspersions on his political opponents.

And all this comes one day after 6 ministers come out in full force to claim that the PAP is not arrogant. Truly amazing!

**** WP Party Rally At Bedok Stadium 30 Aptil 2011 <http://singaporemind.blogspot.com/2011/05/wp-party-rally-at-bedok-stadium-30.html>
Diary Of A Singapore Mind

The PAP has a propaganda machine which it uses to spread fear, threats, pork barrel incentives and advertise its past achievements to get less informed Singaporeans to vote for them. The opposition depends on their supporters to get their message to others and they use rallies to inspire and motivate with a powerful vision for a better future. Nobody attends PAP rallies because it is a waste of time - they serve almost no purpose when the PAP believes it can just scare, threaten and entice the people (with upgrading + grow & share $$) for their votes.

**** Lose And Lose <http://singaporelifetimes.blogspot.com/2011/05/lose-and-lose.html>
Singapore Life And Times

So far, PAP's message in Aljunied GRC has been a negative one. Vote PAP so as not to lose George Yeo and Zainul Abideen Rashid. Vote Workers' Party and your will lose Zainul Abideen Rashid and George Yeo.

Very inauspicious, that word.

**** GE: Chiam See Tong "Sorry" He Can't Take Care Of Potong Pasir <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1126022/1/.html>
Ng Jing Yng, Today

He was not leaving Potong Pasir "to gain more glory", Mr Chiam said.

"I go to Bishan-Toa Payoh to promote democracy in Singapore," said Mr Chiam in his 18-minute speech at the Singapore People's Party (SPP) rally last night.

"You cannot have democracy unless you have Opposition in Parliament."

**** The Art Of Persuasion By A Master <http://singaporedesk.blogspot.com/2011/05/art-of-persuasion-by-master.html>
Singapore Notes

**** Democrats Unveil Peoples' Plan For Sembawang <http://yoursdp.org/index.php/news/singapore/4789-democrats-unveil-peoples-plan-for-sembawang>
Singapore Democratic Party

PAP's emphasis for the constituency has largely relied on "upgrading" and the hardware. SDP's People's Team would like to focus on the "heartware".

Void decks can be converted into polyclinics or extend the existing polyclinic by building an annex at the vacant land next to it. SDP's Town Council will operate feeder buses at a cheaper rate. We will put into place a constituency feeder transport system that is self-funded and non-profit oriented.

Rather than sending our senior citizens abroad to be cared for in homes in Johor Bahru, Batam or Bintan as has been suggested, the SDP Town Council will look into converting void decks and other relevant areas within the estate to integrate our elderly with our constituency. As part of The SDP Promise, the People's Team in Sembawang GRC will contribute 50% of our salary towards an endownment fund to support the needy in the constituency.

**** When Was The Last Time Your MP Thanked You For Your Contribution To The Nation? <http://blog.dk.sg/2011/05/01/when-was-the-last-time-your-mp-thanked-you-for-your-contribution-to-the-nation/>
Dee Kay Dot As Gee

Each and every Singaporean contributed to the success of Singapore. You don’t need to be someone important to contribute. So why didn’t our leaders thank us for our contribution to the nation and inspire us to continue to contribute?

**** Property Values And Your Choice Of Political Party <http://mrwangsaysso.blogspot.com/2011/05/property-values-and-your-choice-of.html>
Gilbert Koh, Mr Wang Says So

If Low loses in Aljunied GRC, then even that one lone voice in Parliament might be gone, silenced for good. It is possible that parliamentary debate might then degenerate into an utter sham. Nothing but a puppet show with PAP MPs posing nice, friendly, pre-arranged questions to each other and giving nice, friendly, rehearsed answers to each other. There would be nobody to challenge them, nobody to act as a check and balance, nobody to ask the tough questions that really need to be asked.

Honestly, if we come to that stage, Parliament House might just as well shut down. On weekends, the PAP MPs can just gather at Hsien Loong's living room or Kuan Yew's garden to have some cakes and coffee. There they can plan their next salary increases; chit chat about golf and BMWs; and casually make a few national policies for five million citizens. So much for public accountability and transparency,

Most Singaporeans wouldn't realise it, but I'll just say it straight out here. MPs do lots of important things, such as debate in Parliament and meet residents to help solve their personal problems. MPs and their grassroots supporters also organise community events like Plant-a-Tree Day and Chinese New Year dinners etc. All these types of MP work have their value and are important in their own way. But none of them has any direct bearing on the value of your property.

**** SDP Hits Out At Competition From Foreigners At Rally <http://www.straitstimes.com/GeneralElection/News/Story/STIStory_663259.html>
Jessica Cheam, Straits Times

Dr John Tan, leader of the Singapore Democratic Party (SDP) team contesting Sembawang GRC, raised this at a SDP rally in Woodlands Stadium on Saturday night.

He told the crowd that a Marsiling resident who lost his job a year ago, had to turn to collecting and selling carton boxes to make ends meet. But he faced competition - from the mother of a China worker who also started picking up carton boxes in his neighbourhood.

'Even that we are faced with competition. That is really pathetic. What has our country come to?' asked Dr Tan.

**** Straight From The Horse’s Mouth <http://chaptertworeload.wordpress.com/2011/05/01/straight-from-the-horses-mouth/>
Aaron Ng, Chapter Two: Reload

Singaporeans should think hard about what Lee said and ask themselves if this is the kind of political party they want to make the rules: one that has no qualms about bullying others into submission to achieve their goals.

**** GE: Tan Jee Say Surprised At SM Goh's Comments About His Stint In Civil Service <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1126030/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

Mr Tan said it was never his mission in life to remain in public service and after five years, he resigned with Mr Goh's blessing. He added that he was surprised as Mr Goh had earlier stated he would not comment on any candidate outside of Marine Parade GRC.

He also refuted minister mentor Lee Kuan Yew's comment that he was not 'qualified' to speak on manufacturing, saying that he was trained in economics and had experience in policy making during his time at the Trade and Industry Ministry.

Mr Tan added that his proposal to shift Singapore's reliance away from manufacturing has earned the endorsement of industry players here as well as Lord Butler who oversaw the United Kingdom's economic transformation in the 1980s and 1990s.

**** More People Attended The Opposition Parties’ Rally. So? <http://blog.dk.sg/2011/05/01/more-people-attended-the-opposition-parties-rally-so/>
Dee Kay Dot As Gee

I was talking about this to my friend when he points out to me that there is no point attending PAP’s rally. Everything you want to know about them is already on the mainstream media and their party brochures. So it’s no surprise that the PAP’s rally attendance is pathetic. I have to agree with him.

But let’s hope those who attended the Opposition Parties’ rally will vote wisely on 7th May.

**** The Return To East Coast: Promise And Proposition <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/05/the-return-to-east-coast-promise-and-proposition/>
Khairulanwar Zaini, The Online Citizen

The party’s starkly populist war cry for the night resonated well with the audience, as the candidates took turns to chastise the incumbent for its failure to rein in the cost of living. Two of the candidates for East Coast, Fazli Talip and Glenda Han, both took the ruling party to task for the increasing cost of transport; the target of their ire transport minister Raymond Lim, whom the party is going head-to-head with in East Coast. Fare hikes have often been justified by the increase in energy costs, yet Lim had insisted that ‘public transport fare is not directly linked to oil prices’ when fuel dropped in price in 2008.

**** HDB Affordable – Minister Calculate Wrongly? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/05/hdb-affordable-minister-calculate-wrongly/>
Leong Sze Hian, The Online Citizen

So, only those who can afford will buy and therefore the minister’s logic may be flawed, because those who can’t afford wouldn’t be in the Minister’s always ‘affordable’ population in the first place!

**** Losing A Foreign Minister Doesn’t Hurt – A Voter’s View <http://newasiarepublic.com/?p=28156>
Chan Jia Hui, New Asia Republic

If Mr Yeo wins, good for him. I believe he is a good man and one of the enlightened ministers within the cabinet. But, conversely, if he loses, there will be inquests and post-mortems galore as to why a minister loses. A simple explanation is that Mr Yeo is in charge of a ministry that does not address the voters’ direct interests. As a result, voters perceive that losing Yeo isn’t that bad. Rather a case of unfortunate circumstances indeed.

**** This Isn’t A Municipal Election <http://satayclub.net/2011/04/this-isnt-a-municipal-election/>
Nigel Tan, Satayclub.net

The PAP has done an excellent job in playing down the primary and traditional role of MPs while playing up the secondary town councillor role, so much so that most voters do not even understand the difference between the two.

This election, however, comes at a very important point in Singapore’s history. The PAP intends to introduce changes that will heavily alter the demographic make-up of Singapore, and it is very important that voters are conscious of what is at stake. This election is not about lift upgrading, parks, covered walkways or artificial rivers. It is about what Singaporeans want Singapore to be.

**** BG George Yeo And Voting In Englightened Self Interest <http://fearfullyopinionated.wordpress.com/2011/04/30/bg-george-yeo-and-voting-in-englightened-self-interest/>
Fearfully Opinionated

BG George Yeo is in a tough position, and I am highly sympathetic of his predicament. I think he’s doing a pretty good job as it is winning the hearts of voters, but I think he has to choose better words to support his cause. Politics is difficult business, and one wrong move could cost the PAP not just a GRC, but change Singapore forever.

**** George Yeo: Worker’s Party Using You As A Springboard <http://newnation.sg/2011/05/george-yeo-workers-party-using-you-as-a-springboard/>
Fang Shihan, New Nation

He urges the voters not to be fooled (paraphrasing). The WP is asking for a “blank cheque” by asking Singaporeans to vote them in before showing them a plan for the constituency.

He adds that the WP is transforming the Aljunied debate into a personality-based issue: George vs. LTK.

Yet George Yeo is the only one giving out a flyer of his face on it. The hypocrisy.

**** Indomitable Chiam See Tong: My Improbable Hero <http://nofearsingapore.blogspot.com/2011/05/indomitable-chiam-see-tong-my.html>
Huang Shoou Chyuan, No Fear Singapore

With the indomitable spirit and especially now that he has emboldened more brave souls to answer the clarion call to join his battle outfit, the PAP can ignore this old battle horse at its peril!

**** Low Thia Khiang: PAP Not Playing Fair <http://newnation.sg/2011/05/low-thia-khiang-pap-not-playing-fair/>
Terence Lee, New Nation

Opposition MPs are also disallowed from using Community Centres to organise courses and activities for residents, while PAP MPs can do so. “I thought community club are meant for community, not for propelling the PAP’s interest!”

He added that in Hougang, where he was an MP, the defeated PAP candidate became the grassroots advisor through the People’s Association, a statuary board promoting social harmony. Government bodies worked through him instead of Low, and when his town council paid a sum to the HDB for lift upgrading, it was the PAP candidate who announced the initiative instead. This allows the defeated candidates to gain a foothold at the next elections.

So, while the government says that the political playing field is fair, Low firmly denied that is the case.

**** Dr ViVian The Economist? <http://politicalhealth.lah.cc/2011/04/30/dr-vivian-the-economist/>
Singapore Political Health

We can afford this investment. its sorely needed. Its similar to the big push to build housing and our SAF for the people in 1960s. This economic plan from SDP could bring meaning ful jobs for the masses. Its a better bet to play than on western Banks.

**** Patient With Disabilities Denied Proper Medical Treatment; Sole Caregiver Suffering Burnout <http://rayhope8.blogspot.com/2011/04/patient-with-disabilities-denied-proper.html>
Raymond Anthony Fernando, Ray Of Light

**** The Economics Of Politics: A Case For The Opposition (Part 1) <http://newasiarepublic.com/?p=28118>
Jiakai Jeremy Chua, New Asia Republic

Until the PAP learns to share the political space behind its economic decisions, its effectiveness in the economy will continue to wane. And then, we will have more problems struggling against depressed wage rates and an increasingly stagnant production function.

**** Virgin Voter Flies Back From America <http://newnation.sg/2011/04/virgin-voter-flies-back-from-america/>
Edmund Tee, New Nation

**** Confessions Of A Once-PAP Voter <http://geekisnewblack.blogspot.com/2011/05/confessions-of-once-pap-voter.html>
Geek Is The New Black

So as a fellow Singaporean, the upcoming week is a crucial one. I ask that you do not take the PAP's words at blind faith; the information is out there and easily available. For those who prefer to harken back to the days of yore, I can only say this; the PAP of our parents' generation is long gone. The ministers of today are less concerned with our welfare and more interested in meeting "KPIs" and "benchmarks". Pursuing economic growth blindly is not the solution nor the answer. These are acceptable practises when it comes to work but when it comes to managing a country, a nation with our lives and our children's future at stake, it is not enough and should not be acceptable.

We have the chance to make things right. It comes only once every 5 years. Do you dare risk another half a decade with a careening PAP at the wheel?

**** GE: George Yeo Defends Redrawn Electoral Boundaries, GRC System <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1126049/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

George Yeo said nobody wanting to represent a constituency can afford to take racial lines because of the system.

**** Opposition Taps Anti-immigrant Sentiment In Singapore <http://news.malaysia.msn.com/regional/article.aspx?cp-documentid=4810759>
AFP

Foreigners are accused of stealing jobs, depressing wages and straining housing, transport, schools, hospitals and other public services, putting the ruling party on the defensive for easing immigration rules in recent years.

Sentiment began to worsen when the global economy collapsed in 2008-2009, and not even the record 14.5 percent economic growth in 2010 was enough to assuage Singaporeans' fears of being swamped by foreigners.

**** Opposition Parties Need To Focus On Swing Voters <http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2011/05/01/opposition-parties-need-to-focus-on-swing-voters/>
Au Waipang, Yawning Bread

There is no need to keep addressing people’s frustrations as the primary theme for messaging. In the limited time that they have, they need to speak more relevantly to the other two quadrants of voters. They need to talk about fear and about idealism. Time to put frustration to bed.

**** Let’s Get Freaky: Say No To The PAP’s Fear-mongering! <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/05/let’s-get-freaky-say-no-to-the-pap’s-fear-mongering/>
Kirsten Han, The Online Citizen

I cannot tolerate all this fear-mongering from the incumbent. I cannot tolerate all this bullying and gerrymandering. I cannot tolerate being just “noise” in my own country, bossed about by holier-than-thou Ministers who don’t understand the sort of lives and problems that normal Singaporeans face.

I believe that there needs to be a change, and I stand by my belief. I will not stand for all this fear-mongering to try to get me to back down.

I am Singaporean. It is my right to have a say in where my country is heading for the next 5 years, and I will vote according to what I believe is best for my country’s future. I will not give in to fear, and I hope you won’t too.

**** 摆脱李光耀思维,做个真正的新加坡人 <http://newasiarepublic.com/?p=28212>
New Asia Republic

新的行动党领袖,新的总理,将以新思维改变或修正“李光耀思想”。因为,只有突破,摆脱“李光耀思想”的束缚,新加坡人才有可能突破治国的思想封锁,为新加坡的明天创造新的境界。

5月7日,记得这个机会,做个真正的新加坡人,学习波动巴西和后港的打虎精神,为自己的将来,孩子的将来,投反对党一票。

**** After This Election, Singaporeans Cannot Blame The PAP Anymore <http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.com/2011/05/after-this-election-singaporeans-cannot.html>
Chua Chin Leng, My Singapore News

This election is about telling the PAP that you like what they have been doing and confirming it by voting them to power again. Or it could be telling the PAP that you don’t like what they have done and are giving your vote to the opposition. It is as simple as that.

And you can blame no one else anymore. You created your own future. You have been reminded over and over again, you deserve the govt that you elected to rule you.

**** Tan Jee Say Not Good Enough <http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.com/2011/05/tan-jee-say-not-good-enough.html>
Chua Chin Leng, My Singapore News

I may have a little dementia, but I remember what LKY said of him. I think something not much different from what he said of Jee Say, in his case, for the post of PM. He was not LKY's first choice. There was Dhanabalan, Chee Onn and Tony Tan.

Then he became a PM for several terms. He was judged to be not good enough when compared to other better candidates. Was he good enough when he was a PM after being judged not good enough? If he was a good enough PM, then his assessor was wrong. If he was not good enough as a PM, then his assessor was right. But right or wrong, he still stayed on as a PM for more than one term.

**** An Enlightened Indonesian On The Singapore Elections <http://imo.thejakartapost.com/nrg07/2011/04/30/an-enlightened-indonesian-on-the-singapore-elections/>
Ramblings Of A Public Policy Student

We’re partly responsible for putting those people in parliament, and that’s why voting matters.

**** PAP Wasting Time And Energy <http://hardhitting-nobs.blogspot.com/2011/05/pap-wasting-time-and-energy.html>
Musings From The Lion City

None of the above accusations have gained any traction with Singaporeans so far and I do suggest that the PAP redo some of their tactics. Currently, the opposition seem to have more wind in their sails and the PAP need to stop wasting time and energy on attacks that don't work. With 6 days till the elections, time is growing short.

**** Dear Prime Millionaire (Pt 2) <http://feedmetothefish.blogspot.com/2011/05/dear-prime-millionaire-pt-2.html>
Feed Me To The Fish

The way MM went on the "Hard Truths" about the Malays was most dangerous. Like me, I'm sure you are aware that irresponsible utterances like, "Malays do not integrate" could lead to riots that we experienced in the 60's.

So please, jaga diri, jaga bapak kau!

**** A Tale Of Two Race Horses <http://yeejj.wordpress.com/2011/05/01/a-tale-of-two-race-horses/>
Yee Jenn Jong

PAP is like the old horse, winning all or nearly all parliamentary seats since independence. But it is showing cracks and making mistakes. The opposition has won few seats or none since independence. But it is very strong this year and charging ahead. Who do you wish to place your bet on? So vote The Workers’ Party, towards a first world parliament!

**** Does This Look Like A Protest March? <http://yoursdp.org/index.php/news/singapore/4795-does-this-look-like-a-protest-march>
Singapore Democratic Party

Dr Chee paused for long moments to oblige the supporters and to chat with them. Is this The New Paper's idea of a march? At no point did Dr Chee or anyone else plan to do a march. The newspaper should refrain from gutter journalism and spreading such untruths.

The OMY went even further. It reported that Dr Chee had insisted on getting on stage to make a speech. As a bankrupt (he was made bankrupt in 2006 by Messrs Lee Kuan Yew and Goh Chok Tong), he is not allowed to do so. This is utter rubbish. At no point did Dr Chee have any intention to get up on stage.

Is the SPH so desperate that it is reporting such nonsense and not focusing on the SDP candidates' message and our alternative proposals?

**** What Real Effect Do NWC Guidelines Have? <http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC110501-0000893/What-real-effect-do-NWC-guidelines-have?>
Ng Soek Cheng, Today

This is because from my conversations with different groups of friends (in different MNC companies) earlier this year, most had modest wage increases of not more than 3 per cent or none at all. Some had no wage increases and no bonuses. It seems that such companies are not following the guidelines the NWC put forth last year for the period covering July 1, 2010 to June 30, 2011.

**** GE Should Be About National, Not Trivial Local Issues <http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC110501-0000894/GE-should-be-about-national,-not-trivial-local-issues>
Kelvin Quek, Today

Over the past five years, the Government's policies on foreign workers, immigration, housing, transport, healthcare, education and casinos have had a huge impact on the lives of voters. General elections should be more about national issues rather than trivial local issues.

**** GE: 8 Election Rallies To Be Held On Monday <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1126093/1/.html>
Nancy Ang, Channel NewsAsia

**** Not For Voters To 'Repent', But Losing Party To Reflect <http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC110501-0000910/Not-for-voters-to-repent,-but-losing-party-to-reflect>
Chang Jun Biao, Today

Should the ruling party lose their seats at Aljunied GRC, or any other constituency for that matter, the five years that follow are not for the respective constituents to "live and repent" - but it should be a time for the PAP to reflect on why it has fallen short of people's expectations and failed to win their support. It should also think about how it can work toward regaining that support when the next election comes round.

And when it does, we as responsible voters would definitely lend a listening ear to give them a fair hearing and assessment, before once again casting our sacred votes.

**** The Importance Of Political Progress In Singapore <http://singaporemind.blogspot.com/2011/05/importance-of-political-progress-in.html>
Diary Of A Singapore Mind

The PAP govt paddled this whole nation backwards politically so they can have dominant power. They could do this because Singapore was one of the Asian Economic Tigers that saw rapid economic progress. We were sold this myth that dominant authoritarian rule is necessary for economic progress. When S. Korea became fully democratic after the Asian Crisis, they made far greater economic progress than they did under authoritarian rule. Their entertainment industry blossomed and they became highly productive and innovative leading the world in areas.

Low Thia Kiang has been an outstanding MP He has been dedicated 23 years of his life to politics. He has played by the rules and found a way to take Singapore forward politically. The power and choice is now in the hands of Singapore voters.

**** GE: WP's Lee Li Lian Questions Mah Bow Tan Over Cost Of Public Housing <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1126110/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

Workers' Party (WP) candidate Lee Li Lian, who is contesting the Punggol East Single-Member Constituency (SMC), took National Development Minister Mah Bow Tan to task over the cost of public housing at the WP's rally on Sunday.

Ms Lee said: "Dear Mr Mah Bow Tan, I am sure many Singaporeans here tonight would agree with me that the length of our mortgage loan is an issue. Mr Mah, I am just curious... do you want your own child to take 30, 40 or even 50 years to repay his or her own housing loan?"

**** Negativity <http://singaporelifetimes.blogspot.com/2011/05/negativity.html>
Singapore Life And Times

It would appear that even before polling day, the PAP has lost the emotional bond forged with the people during MM Lee's time as PM, including, sadly, for MM Lee too. But then maybe I am not moving in the right circles?

**** The Future Of Singapore In The Battle Of Aljunied <http://mollymeek.wordpress.com/2011/05/01/the-future-of-singapore-in-the-battle-of-aljunied/>
Molitics

If Singaporeans do not make a wise choice on May 7, they may never have their voices heard in the Parliament again unless their voices happens to coincide with the PAP’s voice, which is entirely independent of Singaporean voices.

Do you want to live in a decent place that the PAP calls a slum, or do you want to live like a slumdog in a country that the PAP calls first-world?

**** GE: Reform Party's Alex Tan Calls For More Transparency In Investments <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1126119/1/.html>
Ryan Huang, Channel NewsAsia

Reform Party candidate for Ang Mo Kio GRC, Alex Tan, has called for more transparency by the government in how it invests its money through its sovereign wealth funds.

Mr Tan said: "Dr Vivian Balakrishan recently said that their portfolio has returned to pre-crisis levels. I have a question on what basis, without statistics and figures, would you believe what he says?

"Singapore's sovereign wealth fund company GIC bought Citibank shares at $21 each. Today, I just checked - Citibank is now $4.59 per share. After selling half of the original investment of $6.9 billion, they should be sitting on a paper loss of four billion dollars.

**** GE: SDP Says PAP Tactic To Stumble Opposition Parties Has Not Changed <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1126125/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

**** PAP Did Not Fulfill Promises From Past Elections: NSP <http://www.straitstimes.com/GeneralElection/News/Story/STIStory_663509.html>
Andrea Ong, Straits Times

In 2006, they said the PAP had promised to create more opportunities for Singaporeans, said NSP candidate Jeisilan Sivalingam, part of the team standing in Chua Chu Kang GRC. But in the years since, the PAP had opened the floodgates to foreigners, who have taken jobs away from Singaporeans and suppressed their wages, he said.