[MyAppleMenu] Mar 20, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Mar 20 18:59:00 EDT 2011

**** How Did A British Polytechnic Graduate Become The Design Genius Behind £200billion Apple? <http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-1367481/Apples-Jonathan-Ive-How-did-British-polytechnic-graduate-design-genius.html>
Rob Waugh, Daily Mail

Ive could be defined by his devotion to detail. When Apple boss Steve Jobs asked him in the late Nineties to create colourful, cheap cathode-ray-tube computers – what would become the first iMac – Ive spent hours in a sweet factory to get inspiration for the colours that would tell the world this wasn’t just a machine for work: it was for fun, too.

And so it has been for nearly 14 years – the time Ive has been Apple’s star designer, a fact little known and less publicised in his native Britain due to the obsessive culture of secrecy at Apple. (His laboratory remains sealed off even from the rest of Apple’s leafy corporate ‘campus’ in San Francisco.) The impact of the 44-year-old, Essex-born, Staffordshire-raised graduate of Newcastle Polytechnic has been incalculable.

**** AT&T To Acquire T-Mobile USA For $39 Billion <http://www.macworld.com/article/158652/2011/03/att_tmobile.html>
Marc Ferranti, IDG News Service

**** Busted! When Private Toys Go Public <http://www.salon.com/life/feature/2011/03/19/vibrator_embarrassment/index.html>
Tracy Clark-flory, Salon

Even the brashest women can be undone by its appearance. Why does a buzzing gadget have such power to mortify us?

**** DIY Dictionary <http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ideas/articles/2011/03/20/a_dictionary_how_to/>
Erin McKean, Boston Globe

If we think of language as a technology, we could think of paper dictionaries as a kind of user’s manual. And if the language had a third-party manual, that book would be “How to Read a Word,” by Elizabeth Knowles.

**** PAP = "New Faces", Opposition = "Newbies" <http://www.mrbrown.com/blog/2011/03/pap-is-new-faces-opposition-is-newbies.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+mrbrown+%28mrbrown%29>
mrbrown

**** Smile PAP, The Straits Times Is Here! <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/03/smile-pap-the-straits-times-is-here/>
The Online Citizen

It is perhaps not surprising that the PAP is trying to soften its image – especially with all that have happened these last five years or so.

**** Answering The Question You Wish Had Been Asked <http://siewkumhong.blogspot.com/2011/03/answering-question-you-wish-had-been.html>
Siew Kum Hong

I personally found the responses tremendously disappointing. The letter-writers felt strongly enough to take the trouble to write in to ST Forum, posing very pointed and direct questions. The replies did not do justice to, and to my mind did not respect, the letter-writers. These are valid questions that deserve answers -- but it seems that the answers will not be forthcoming.

This outcome does nobody, least of all Singapore, any good. People will speculate about why MOE, MCYS and NTUC deliberately chose not to engage directly, and they will draw adverse inferences. The outcome? A more cynical and disillusioned public, which is understandable but certainly not desirable.

**** NSP To Field Lawyer In Mountbatten SMC <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1117671/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

The National Solidarity Party (NSP) has announced that it will field lawyer Jeannette Chong-Aruldoss as its candidate for the single-member constituency of Mountbatten in the upcoming General Election.

**** S'pore Will Have Enough Water Even Without New Agreement: SM Goh <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1117687/1/.html>
Hetty Musfirah Abdul Khamid, Channel NewsAsia

Senior minister Goh Chok Tong said Singapore will have enough water for itself even if there is no new water agreement when its second Water agreement with Malaysia expires in 2061. Mr Goh said investments in technology and water infrastructure will enable the country to continue its drive towards self-sufficiency.

**** GE: PAP Team For Tampines GRC Not Confirmed Yet <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1117700/1/.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter>
Dylan Loh, Channel NewsAsia

National development minister Mah Bow Tan has said the People's Action Party's (PAP) line-up of candidates for Tampines Group Representation Constituency (GRC) in the upcoming General Election is not confirmed yet.

**** New Faces – PAP Vs Opposition <http://ge2011.theonlinecitizen.com/2011/03/new-faces-pap-vs-opposition/>
Andrew Loh, The Online Citizen

So, in short, we are seeing PAP candidates from the same sources. It is hard to see how this can be touted as “renewal”. If this is the 4th Generation leaders who will see Singapore through to the future, then it is indeed worrying.

The PAP, it would seem, is in danger of being seen as a party which is losing its appeal to a wider audience; and because of this, it is indeed in desperate need of renewal – and it can’t do this by fishing from the same pool as it has always done.

At the moment, it would seem that the opposition line-up makes for a more interesting Parliament – if these candidates are given a chance to make their voices heard in the House as MPs.

**** Social Integration, Singapore’s Sharia Law And Minister Mentor Lee – II <http://imranwrites.blogspot.com/2011/03/social-integration-singapores-sharia.html>
The Grand Moofti Speaks

Singapore cannot remain a 'pseudo-secular' state indefinitely, where the rights of one particular religious group, Muslims, are defined by specific laws. A simple way to expand Singapore's Common Space is to make the same set of laws applicable to all Singaporeans, irrespective of religious preferences.

**** GE: Electoral Competition Heats Up As Parties Eye SMCs <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1117741/1/.html>
Hoe Yeen Nie, Channel NewsAsia

**** Mountbatten Close To Her Heart <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/03/mountbatten-close-to-her-heart/>
Jewel Philemon, The Online Citizen

When asked what improvements she would bring to the area if elected, Ms Chong says she will use her professional skills of advocacy to champion reasonable concerns of the voters. “Since I am one of them, the voters would be able to bring up their concerns more easily to me and I want to have a deeper understanding of their concerns as well. Since I am not from the PAP (People’s Action Party), I can offer new ideas and differentperspectives. Moreover, by voting me in, I can also serve the nation, not only the voters in Mountbatten,” she adds.

**** 己所不欲,勿施于人,我们和行动党都做到了吗? <http://newasiarepublic.com/?p=25875>
New Asia Republic

归根究底, 达不到“己所不欲,忽施于人“的最主要原因是我们的淡马锡模式,任何东西都要以经济利益为前提,那些跟不上新加坡快速列车的人,请自我保重。

**** NTUC- A Union To Help Community Or Workers? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/03/ntuc-a-union-to-help-community-or-workers/>
Leong Sze Hian, The Online Citizen

Whilst it is always good to have more projects to help the needy, as I understand that the historical primary objective of the unions is to protect workers’ rights, I would like to suggest that our unions re-focus on some workers’ issues.

**** Low Thia Khiang’s Job Is To Lead The Workers’ Party <http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2011/03/20/low-thia-khiangs-job-is-to-lead-the-workers-party/>
Yawning Bread

It is not Low’s job to lead the amorphous “opposition” to victory. It’s his job to lead the Workers’ Party to victory. In politics, one needs to be focussed to succeed.

**** Opposition Renewal Matters Too <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110321-0000197/Opposition-renewal-matters-too>
Eugene K B Tan, Today

For the voters, if we want a vibrant, competitive political system, then opposition renewal matters just as much as the PAP's renewal. We cannot discount the possibility that the PAP of the future may not uphold the high standards it has set for itself.

**** Reform Party Candidates To Swop Battlegrounds <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_647321.html>
Andrea Ong, Straits Times

The Reform Party (RP) on Sunday said it plans to reshuffle its pack - swopping candidates for the Pioneer and Radin Mas single member constituencies (SMCs).

Pioneer will be contested by party chief Kenneth Jeyaretnam instead of theatre director Alec Tok, who will go to Radin Mas.