[MyAppleMenu] Mar 21, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Mar 21 18:59:00 EDT 2011

**** Review: iPad 2 Is Not Revolutionary, But It Is Great <http://www.suntimes.com/technology/ihnatko/4396870-452/review-ipad-2-is-not-revolutionary---but-it-is-great.html>
Andy Ihnatko, Chicago Sun-Times

All of the 2011 iPad’s improvements and new features are answers to the question “What would the first iPad have been like if its engineers had been given another year to work on it?” They’d certainly have tried to make it faster and sleeker, and they’d have figured out how to stick a camera or two in there. Done, done, and done.

(Their in-house case also wouldn’t have been a chintzy-looking plastic sleeve, either. Done.)

The iPad 2 is the same iPad. It’s just better in every conceivable way.

**** Capturing iPad Video On A Mac Is Still Problematic <http://www.tuaw.com/2011/03/21/capturing-ipad-video-on-a-mac-is-still-problematic/>
Steven Sande, TUAW

**** How To Build Mac OS X Services With Automator And Shell Scripting <http://arstechnica.com/apple/guides/2011/03/howto-build-mac-os-x-services-with-automator-and-shell-scripting.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss>
Ryan Paul, Ars Technica

In my quest to tear the power of the command line out of the terminal, I have found that Apple's Automator tool is a powerful ally. Although it's not as mighty as the command line for improvisational automation, it's useful for defining stand-alone operations that you want to be able to repeat. I've used Automator over the past week to build simple applications that replace some of my personal shell scripts.

**** T-Mobile Says No iPhone <http://www.tuaw.com/2011/03/21/t-mobile-says-no-iphone/>
Kelly Hodgkins, TUAW

**** Protect Your Privacy: Browse The Web Safely <http://www.macworld.com/article/158113/2011/02/protect_web_browsing_cookies.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Rich Mogull, Macworld

**** Banana TV: Unleash AirPlay Now, For $7.99 <http://appadvice.com/appnn/2011/03/banana-tv-unleash-airplay-799/>
Joe White, AppAdvice

Erica Sadun‘s AirPlay enhancing Macintosh application, Banana TV, is now available to purchase. The app allows users to AirPlay content from their iOS device to a Mactinosh computer.

**** Apple's iPad 2 Launch Abroad Still On Track <http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-20045448-37.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=News-Apple>
Josh Lowensohn, CNET

**** Apple Releases Mac OS X 10.6.7 <http://www.macworld.com/article/158679/2011/03/osx_1067.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Lex Friedman, Macworld

In addition to providing the standard enhancements for stability, compatibility, and security, 10.6.7 improves the reliability of Back to My Mac, resolves an issue with transferring files to SMB servers, and makes minor updates to the Mac App Store. In addition, the update incorporates a number of security fixes to Snow Leopard, which are also available separately as Security Update 2011-001.

**** Security Update 2011-001 (Leopard) <http://db.tidbits.com/article/12060?rss>
Adam C. Engst, TidBITS

**** Take A Photo Of Yourself Every Day With Everyday <http://www.macworld.com/article/158680/2011/03/everyday_iphone_project_365.html#lsrc.rss_main>
David Chartier, Macworld

Everyday is a clever camera app with a couple of key tools and a streamlined interface. It makes it easy to snap a shot of yourself using tools like a visual grid (for devices with a front-facing camera) and an overlay of a previous shot to make sure you line up your face properly. If you’re the forgetful type, Everyday lets you set a reminder so you don't miss your daily duties.

**** PAP Set To Unveil New Faces 'Quickly' <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_647482.html>
Jeremy Au Yong, Straits Times

The new candidates of the People's Action Party (PAP) for the upcoming general election are likely to be introduced in 'quick succession' and probably with up to three batches unveiled this week, said party sources on Sunday.

At this rate, the schedule could match that of the 2006 election when 24 candidates were unveiled over the course of 22 days.

**** Hard Truths On Hard Culture <http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2011/03/21/hard-truths-on-hard-culture/>
Yawning Bread

Beyond just the matter of the lack of transparency, the flipside of this evasiveness goes far beyond. It does nothing to quell the disquet that is already on the Malay and Indian grounds, and which is moving beyond the two communities. It also has the potential to perpetuate the culture of rumor mongering so prevalent in all autocratic states

All in all, we have a government that cannot, even in our wildest imaginations, be described as possessing well-honed problem solving instincts. If anything, they are the net cause of more problems.

**** Chiam All Geared Up For GRC Fight <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_647483.html>
Jeremy Au Yong & Kor Kian Beng, Straits Times

Accompanied by his wife, opposition veteran Chiam See Tong on Sunday appeared fit and ready to do battle in Bishan-Toa Payoh GRC. He went on a four-hour walkabout in the constituency, visiting five coffee shops and a market, and even walking up a flight of 30 steps without help.

**** She's Filial But Feels Penalised <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_647347.html>
Peggy Fong, Straits Times

Iras' reply to my appeal last June was that the foreign maid levy was provided only to married working women to encourage them to rejoin the workforce after their marriage.

I not only rejoined the workforce, but also intend to continue working past my 62nd birthday this year to support my mother, who has dementia, by engaging a maid to take care of her.

The argument that a single woman needs the foreign maid levy concession more than a married woman - who may have more financial resources when hers is combined with her husband's - cut no ice with Iras.

**** SM Goh Chok Tong Compared Japan Tsunami With Singapore Floods <http://blog.dk.sg/2011/03/21/sm-goh-chok-tong-compared-japan-tsunami-with-singapore-floods/>
Dee Kay Dot As Gee

Instead of bringing attention to how we Singaporeans can help, you decide to compare this horrible disaster with the flooding in Singapore. I thought only your wife would make distasteful comments like the peanut comment during the NKF saga. I couldn’t believe myself when I saw that news article. I thought you would have known better.

But do you dare say that our Singapore government did their best in preventing flooding in Singapore? I don’t think so. Neither do a lot of Singaporeans. Most of us are complaining not because our lives are affected by the flooding. Most of us are complaining because we feel that the Singapore government and PUB didn’t do a good job in preventing the flood. We expected more from you and team. We were disappointed again and again whenever there is a heavy rain.

**** 刘程强:下任总理 应派到单选区单挑 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp110321_006.shtml>
游润恬, 联合早报

工人党秘书长刘程强形容来临大选是个分水岭,执政的人民行动党新候选人之中很可能将出现第四任总理人选,国人应该关注并谨慎投票。

他呼吁选民投票支持反对党,以确保大选之后反对党有能力在国会上制衡这位第四任总理。

**** 四单选区料有三角战 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp110321_005.shtml>
游润恬 王秘 黎远漪, 联合早报

因反对党之间不愿互相让步,来临的大选似乎已肯定会出现三角战,热点包括榜鹅东、盛港西、先驱和拉丁马士这四个单议席选区。

**** 遭遇老将刘程强 "新兵"朱倍庆:服务民众 当仁不让 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp110321_004.shtml>
顾功垒, 联合早报

刚在上个月被委任为后港基层组织第二顾问的朱倍庆一上任就非常勤劳地参加各种活动,几乎每晚访问选民,但是后港居民认为,如果他在后港面对的是刘程强,胜算不高。

**** 选前报道 马宝山:一些议员想引退 淡滨尼或有多张新面孔 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp110321_001.shtml>
林诗慧, 联合早报

**** 1994 - 2011: A Chronology Of Authoritarian Rule In Singapore <http://singaporerebel.blogspot.com/2011/03/1994-2011-chronology-of-authoritarian.html>
Martyn See Tong Ming, Only "Objective" And "Factual" Political Films Please, We're Singaporeans

**** No Difference Contesting In SMC Or GRC: MP Dr Lam Pin Min <http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singaporescene/no-difference-contesting-smc-grc-mp-dr-lam-20110320-081850-564.html>
Liyana Low, Yahoo!

MP for Ang Mo Kio GRC Dr Lam Pin Min says there is no difference standing in a single member constituency (SMC) or group representation constituency (GRC) for the next General Election (GE).

Dr Lam is tipped to stand in the newly carved out Sengkang West SMC, one of the 12 SMCs identified for the upcoming GE. Either way, he will continue to help residents in his division.

**** Perspectives Of A Student <http://www.thereformparty.net/2011/03/20/perspectives-of-a-student/>
Gay Ying Cong, The Reform Party

**** The General Elections: Social Media Not A Bed Of Roses <http://guanyinmiao.wordpress.com/2011/03/21/the-general-elections-social-media-not-a-bed-of-roses/>
Guanyinmiao's Musings

Social media is not a bed of roses: if political groups and users do not approach this tricky minefield cautiously with a comprehensive plan, the ramifications could be far-reaching and devastating.

**** GE 2011: I Am A Swing Voter- Try To Convince Me! <http://nofearsingapore.blogspot.com/2011/03/ge-2011-i-am-swing-voter-try-to.html>
No Fear Singapore

**** GE: PAP Introduces First Batch Of New Election Candidates <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1117879/1/.html>
S Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia

At the session, PAP's second assistant secretary-general and deputy prime minister Teo Chee Hean said that in total, the PAP intends to introduce more than 20 new candidates from diverse backgrounds. Most of them are under 40 years old. The three new candidates introduced on Monday are Mr Desmond Choo, Dr Janil Puthucheary and Mr Ong Ye Kung.

**** Singapore No Longer Dependent On Imported Water From Malaysia By 2061 <http://www.bernama.com/bernama/v5/newsindex.php?id=572362>
Bernama

Singapore will have enough water supply for itself even if there is no new water agreement when its second Water Agreement with Malaysia expires in 2061, senior minister Goh Chok Tong said.

**** Opposition - The 3 Corner Trap... <http://singaporemind.blogspot.com/2011/03/opposition-3-corner-trap.html>
Diary of A Singaporean Mind