[MyAppleMenu] Mar 14, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Mar 14 18:59:00 EDT 2011

**** New iPad Version Goes On Sale - But Don't Tell Apple <http://www.thestandard.com.hk/news_detail.asp?we_cat=4&art_id=109020&sid=31634795&con_type=1&d_str=20110314&fc=10>
Elizabeth Law, The Standard

The iPad 2 has arrived in Hong Kong, at least unofficially. Parallel stock of the faster, thinner and more powerful version of the computing tablet, which went on sale in the United States on Friday, started streaming in yesterday morning.

**** Flare From The Iconfactory: Awesome Photo Editing App For Mac <http://www.tuaw.com/2011/03/13/flare-from-the-iconfactory-awesome-photo-editing-app-for-mac/>
Steven Sande, TUAW

Available in the Mac App Store, Flare is easy enough for photo newbies to use, yet powerful enough that professional photographers will want to have it in their kit of goodies.

**** How To Make Gmail Work Well With Mail <http://www.macworld.com/article/157846/2011/03/mailgmail.html#lsrc.rss_main>
David Chartier, Macworld

Over time, though, both Google and third parties have attempted to bridge the gap between Gmail and Mail, with tactics that include adding more control over IMAP features and replicating some of Gmail’s productivity perks in Mail. Depending on your needs, Gmail and Mail can actually work quite well together, and we can show you how.

**** Making The iPad Your Only Mobile Computing Device <http://www.macworld.com/article/158387/2011/03/ipad_only_mobile_device.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Tony Bradley, PCWorld

Out of the box the iPad is primarily geared for Web surfing, watching movies, playing music, and reading eBooks. It takes a little tweaking to get the right tools in place to optimize the iPad for use as a mobile computing platform for business, and not just for entertainment.

**** Review: iPad 2 <http://terrywhite.com/techblog/archives/7256>
Terry White

While there is nothing in the iPad 2 that is revolutionary (besides the Smart Covers), it's a welcomed update to the original iPad. It has improvements in all the right areas. I do wish that Apple would bend a little when it comes to using the dock adapter/Camera Connection Kit usb adapter for connecting other devices. Clearly it can be done because people were connecting everything from keyboards to card readers to the original iPad before Apple took that option away in the latest iOS updates. Nonetheless, iPad 2 improves on a already revolutionary device and while no single iPad 2 feature would have made me upgrade the sum of all the enhancements made it a no brainer for me.

**** Pair Of iPhone Filmmakers Try Their Hand At Editing On An iPad 2 <http://mobilized.allthingsd.com/20110314/pair-of-iphone-filmmakers-try-their-hand-at-editing-on-an-ipad-2/?mod=ATD_skybox>
Ina Fried, All Things Digital

Filmmakers Michael Koerbel and Anna Elizabeth James like putting Apple’s latest gear to the test.

When the iPhone 4 came out, the USC film students created a series filmed using the phone. Now, with the debut of the iPad 2, the pair has created an episode edited on the tablet, using the new iMovie application.

**** Apple Says Demand For iPad 2 Is ‘Amazing’ <http://www.loopinsight.com/2011/03/14/apple-says-demand-for-ipad-2-is-amazing/>
Jim Dalrymple, The Loop

“Demand for the next generation iPad 2 has been amazing,” Apple spokesperson Trudy Muller, told The Loop. “We are working hard to get iPad 2 into the hands of every customer who wants one as quickly as possible.” Apple would not say exactly how many iPad 2s were sold over the weekend.

**** A Simple Way Mac Users Can Track Time And Tasks <http://mac360.com/index.php/mac360/comments/a-simple-way-mac-users-can-track-time-and-tasks>
Ron McElfresh, Mac360

**** The Rise Of The Aerotropolis <http://www.salon.com/life/feature/2011/03/13/aerotropolis_excerpt/index.html>
Greg Lindsay And John D. Kasarda, Salon

Worried about being squeezed by its neighbors, New Songdo is Korea's earnest attempt to build an answer to Hong Kong. To make expatriates feel at home, its malls are modeled on Beverly Hills', and Jack Nicklaus designed the golf course. But its most salient feature is shrouded in perpetual haze opposite a twelve-mile-long bridge that is one of the world's longest. On the far side is Incheon International Airport, which opened in 2001 on another man-made island and instantly became one of the world's busiest hubs.

**** Aerotropolis <http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/c052e2be-4b64-11e0-89d8-00144feab49a.html?ftcamp=rss>
Pilita Clark, Financial Times

John Kasarda, the man with the ideas behind this sprawling and provocative book, grew up in a Pennsylvanian coal-mining town that went bankrupt after a disastrous mine collapse in 1959. He was in his teens at the time, and it taught him an early lesson in how places can shape people, rather than the other way around. Today, he is a business professor who spends much of his life telling governments about the one thing he thinks they can build that will help secure their prosperity in an era of intense global competition: an airport.

**** Seconds Before The Big One: Progress In Earthquake Alarms <http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=tsunami-seconds-before-the-big-one>
Richard Allen, Scientific American

Earthquake detection systems can sound the alarm in the moments before a big tremor strikes—time enough to save lives.

**** Keep It Simple, Stupid <http://singaporedesk.blogspot.com/2011/03/keep-it-simple-stupid.html>
Singapore Notes

The genius of Low's counter argument is in it's simplicity, "Why you first of all tax the low-income family and give him offset package?" Indeed, would you let someone cut your finger so he can give you a free band-aid?

**** The General Elections: Emerging From Comfort Zones <http://guanyinmiao.wordpress.com/2011/03/14/the-general-elections-emerging-from-comfort-zones/>
Guanyinmiao's Musings

Opposition parties are not as disadvantaged as they have been put up to be, and would stand a decent chance in a fair fight if they keep a keen ear on the electorate and reach out consistently with conviction. Shedding the comforts of conservatism might be daunting; but we would never know if we staunchly refuse to step out of our comfort zones.

**** 选前报道 刘程强:三年前所定目标不变 工人党仍盼拿下一集选区 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp110314_012.shtml>
李静仪, 联合早报

工人党秘书长刘程强说,工人党的目标依然是要在来届大选夺下一个集选区,这个他三年多前在创党五十周年晚宴上定下的目标至今没有变动。

但他也坦言,尽管工人党的长远目标是有朝一日成为替代政府,但在现阶段该党并不寻求成立下一任政府或替代政府,而是希望对人民行动党政府起着制衡作用,确保本地政治制度能有效发挥功能。他同时表明自己并没有担任总理的野心。

**** President's Scholars Becoming MPs Or Ministers <http://singapore-lighthouse.blogspot.com/2011/03/presidents-scholars-becoming-mps-or.html>
Singapore Social And Political Thoughts

I am questioning the MG Chan's motive to join the PAP as a candidate, does he have no sense of duty as army chief or he knows from the beginning from the moment he got the president's scholarship that years later from then, he had arrived; leaving the army, joining the PAP, becoming a MP, then a minister drawing a million dollars salary? Or becoming PAP's so called 4th gen leaders?

I will have more respect for MG (NS) Chan if he were to tell his political master the PAP that he should, as a professional soldier is to responsibility discharged his duty as army chief and fully complete his tour of duty and then join politics in the next election. After all he is only 41 years old, he's not 51 or 61 this year.

**** The Comic Utterrance Of A Senior Minister <http://singaporerecalcitrant.blogspot.com/2011/03/comic-utterrance-of-senior-minister.html>
Singapore Recalcitrant

Bravo SM Goh, coming from a minister drawing millions of dollars of obscene pay, about five times the modest pay of a Japanese minister. The Japanese are stoic looking in such a gigantic disaster because they have decent ministers who do not pay themselves outrageously from taxpayers' money, and yet are efficient in solving the people's problems. The way the Japanese ministers, led by their prime minister, in bringing succour to the devastated population in this tsunami disaster against colossal logistical odds can engender the kind of stoic look extolled by SM Goh.

**** PM, PA, MND, MHA, SLA: Fixing The Opposition Every Step Of The Way? <http://just-my-observation.blogspot.com/2011/03/pm-pa-mnd-mha-sla-fixing-opposition.html>
Just My Observation

**** Japanese On TV Are Very Stoic Looking <http://everythingalsocomplain.wordpress.com/2011/03/13/japanese-on-tv-are-very-stoic-looking/>
Everything Also Complain

Pushing a weary agenda about Singaporeans griping all the time, using a terribly lopsided example in the form of a catastrophic ‘act of God’ no government can do anything about, is unnecessary and untimely. No Japanese would wish for a tsunami just to display their nation-building capabilities, and to praise that spirit whilst running down Singaporeans for lacking self-reliance using a cavalier analogy is not just an insult to locals but to undermine the disaster as an opportunity to drill some lessons on gratitude, like a parent chiding a child for not finishing his food using a ravaging famine in Ethiopia as an example. Condolences are in order really, not complaints about our complaints.

**** The President And His Pocket Money <http://chemgen.wordpress.com/2011/03/13/the-president-and-his-pocket-money/>
Chemical Generation Singapore

The explanation that the pegging of the ministers’ salaries to performers in the private sectors cannot hold as for one, CEOs etc lose their jobs if they do not perform well, so that shareholders are appeased. Our ministers still have their jobs although there are sound reasons why they are not doing as well as we expected. That is the Catch 22 the PAP ministers created for themselves – if they are paid less, we wouldn’t have complained so much, but if they are paid more, we expect a lot.

**** New Consumer Protection Measures For Mobile, Broadband Services <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1116379/1/.html>
Mustafa Shafawi, Channel NewsAsia

The Infocomm Development Authority (IDA) of Singapore requires operators to put in place new systems to help consumers prevent unwanted mobile charges caused by Premium Rate Services (PRS) and data roaming.

To minimise "bill shocks", mobile operators will be required to provide an option for consumers to limit their data roaming usage in a monthly billing cycle to S$100. IDA also expects mobile operators to put in place the PRS barring service by the first quarter of 2012.

**** Pointing Fingers <http://tankinlian.blogspot.com/2011/03/pointing-fingers.html>
Tan Kin Lian

This is finger pointing carried out to the extreme. It is an extremely bad culture that has developed in Singapore - following the examples of our ministers who also point fingers at each other.

**** Singapore State-run TV Apologizes For Insensitivity Over Tsunami <http://english.kyodonews.jp/news/2011/03/77664.html>
Kyodo News

A Singapore state-run television station issued an apology over the weekend for a sales pitch in an e-mail to potential advertisers seen to exploit Japan's tsunami and quake disaster.

**** Singapore Eases Rulings On Internet Election Advertising <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1116396/1/.html>
Imelda Saad, Channel NewsAsia

Internet election advertising can now be conducted via the following: podcasts, videocasts, blogs, micro-blogs (like Twitter), MMS, photo-sharing platforms (like Flickr), social networking sites (like Facebook) and electronic media applications like those found on mobile phones.

**** Indictments From Our Prison System <http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2011/03/14/indictments-from-our-prison-system/>
Yawning Bread

Nonetheless, it begs the question, how does having an opinion of something totally unconnected with prison security be a reason for seizure of a diary? Why is the Lee family’s private reputation being protected by officers of the state whose salaries are paid from the public purse?

**** Why Don't Late-night Trains Stop At Novena? <http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC110314-0000146/Why-dont-late-night-trains-stop-at-Novena?>
Gerard Lim Huat Chye, Today