[MyAppleMenu] Mar 15, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Mar 15 18:59:00 EDT 2011

**** Trillian IM Client Review <http://www.maclife.com/article/reviews/trillian_im_client_review>
Ray Aguilera, Mac Life

**** Apple's Retail Arm Aids Japanese Employees After Earthquake <http://www.tuaw.com/2011/03/14/apples-retail-arm-aids-japanese-employees-after-earthquake/>
Josh Helfferich, TUAW

Just after the earthquake, hundreds of people crowded around Apple Stores to use the internet connections (Rose's correspondent suggests that there's a lack of free WiFi in Japan, making the Apple Stores natural gathering places). Using Skype and FaceTime, victims were able to contact family members and even regroup at the stores.

**** How To Enable Multi-Touch Multitasking Gestures On Your IPad For Free Using Just Your Mac <http://appadvice.com/appnn/2011/03/enable-multitouch-multitasking-gestures-ipad-free-mac/>
Casey Tschida, AppAdvice

**** Ars Reviews The iPad 2: Big Performance Gains In A Slimmer Package <http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2011/03/ipad-2-the-ars-review.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss>
Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica

The iPad is now particularly attractive to new buyers—moreso than the original was. Apple has a better idea now of what the market wants and has made a move on what it thinks are the most important elements: size/weight, cameras (even if they aren't the best), and overall performance. The current device feels more refined than the original in almost every way, and it strives to offer a premium tablet experience via iOS.

**** iPad 2 Shipping Times Slip Again -- This Time To 4-5 Weeks <http://www.tuaw.com/2011/03/15/ipad-2-shipping-times-slip-again-this-time-to-4-5-weeks/>
Michael Grothaus, TUAW

**** The Weirdest (But Working) iPhone 4 Reception Trick I Have Ever Heard <http://thenextweb.com/apple/2011/03/15/the-weirdest-but-working-iphone-4-reception-trick-i-have-ever-heard/>
The Next Web

Apparently I looked disappointed because the waiter came over right away and asked me “Can’t get a signal?”. I nodded and shrugged. Oh well. Then he offered “Do you want a glass?”. I figured he offered me another drink to cope with my disappointment but as I hadn’t even touched the Prosecco yet I thanked him and declined. But then he said “No, I mean for your iPhone!”.

**** Four Essential iPad Productivity Boosters <http://www.macworld.com/article/158545/2011/03/ipad_productivity_boosters.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Robert Strohmeyer, PCWorld

Whether you’ve already got an iPad or you’re thinking of jumping into the tablet pond with an iPad 2, you probably know better than to expect a miraculous overnight productivity boost from any device. Like any other gadget, the iPad is only as effective as its user. And to get real efficiency out of it, you’ll want to adopt a few apps and tools that don’t come preloaded from Apple. Here are three excellent productivity downloads, and one indispensable accessory, that can help you speed through your daily tasks with ease and increased control.

**** An Easier Way To Change Your Mac’s Desktop Picture <http://mac360.com/index.php/mac360/comments/an-easier-way-to-change-your-macs-desktop-picture>
Jack D. Miller, Mac360

**** No Face, But Plants Like Life Too <http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/15/science/15food.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Carol Kaesuk Yoon, New York Times

The most surprising turned out to be the realization that I couldn’t actually explain to myself or anyone else why killing an animal was any worse than killing the many plants I was now eating.

**** "Day Of The Oprichnik": The Fascinating World Of Soviet Science Fiction <http://www.salon.com/books/feature/2011/03/14/day_of_the_oprichnik_vladimir_sorokin/index.html>
Paul Di Filippo, Salon

The well-tread genre gets an intriguing twist in newly translated work from a former Cold War enemy.

**** The Tiger's Wife By Téa Obreht: Review <http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/books/bookreviews/8373526/The-Tigers-Wife-by-Tea-Obreht-review.html>
Lucy Daniel, The Telegraph

Natalia’s narration bleeds into the voice of an omniscient storyteller to paint two versions of history, one rural and myth-infused, one metropolitan and worldly.

**** Consider Cabbage <http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2011/mar/15/consider-cabbage>
Oliver Thring, The Guardian

Few vegetables are as widely used or unfairly maligned as those of the brassica family. How do you take your cabbage?

**** Catapult <http://www.slate.com/id/2288230/?from=rss>
Kimberly Johnson, Slate

**** Heartland Conversations With Uncle Francis <http://yawshinleong.blogspot.com/2011/03/heartland-conversations-with-uncle.html>
Yaw Shin Leong

**** Excuse Me, SM Goh, Japan Has A Plural Parliament Unlike Singapore <http://www.sgpolitics.net/?p=6298>
Ng E-Jay, Sgpolitics.net

Japan as a nation will be stronger as a result of dealing with this crisis. But the People’s Action Party (PAP) will not be stronger as a result of their ineptitude at managing Singapore’s flood control system, which has failed spectacularly, repeatedly, and inexcusably.

**** Low's Comments 'Show Ambition Of Greater Presence In Parliament' <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110315-0000272/Lows-comments-show-ambition-of-greater-presence-in-Parliament>
Neo Chai Chin, Today

**** Why NTUC Works Closely With PAP <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_645126.html>
John De Payva, Lim Swee Say, National Trades Union Congress, Straits Times

Labour MPs give workers a voice in Parliament and make NTUC a more effective labour movement. As labour leaders, they are responsible to the unions, members and workers at large.

How many questions originally posed [http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_642915.html] have been answered?

**** Singapore: Modern Feudal Society? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/03/singapore-modern-feudal-society/>
Ajax Copperwater, The Online Citizen

**** A History Of Heartlessness <http://singaporedesk.blogspot.com/2011/03/history-of-heartlessness.html>
Singapore Notes

Goh shamefully used the tsunami tragedy to forward his own political agenda. He abused the dignity of the suffering Japanese to lambaste Singaporeans for expressing disgust at the folly of the street floods, caused by lack of drainage maintenance, and not act of God as claimed by the environment minister. And you thought Mrs Goh was the insensitive brute, rallying support for NKF's TT Durai at his day in court. Despite public calls for an apology, Mrs Goh Chok Tong never did recant her odious remark, "$600,000 per year is peanuts compared to the reserves the NKF has." At that time, "I stand corrected" was not yet a fashionable statement.

**** PAP Candidate For Mountbatten Thought Singaporeans Were Noise Makers Too <http://www.raviphilemon.net/2011/03/pap-candidate-for-mountbatten-thought.html>
Ravi Philemon

**** PAP: Please Do Not Use Tragedy To Push Your Agenda <http://atans1.wordpress.com/2011/03/15/pap-pls-do-not-use-tragedy-to-push-yr-agenda/>
Thoughts Of A Cynical Investor

We are a first world society, so PAP leaders should aspire to the gravitas, decorum and manners of the Queen of England, a US president or British prime minister, not a Mahathir.

**** SM Goh Compares Tsunami To SG Flood <http://vinyarb.com/joomla/musings/329-sm-goh-compares-tsunami-to-sg-flood>
Richard Tan, Vinyarb

Uncle Goh, we are not blaming you that the flood happened. We are blaming you for the flood happening again, and again, then again. Even after someone very yaya-ly proclaims that such floods only happen once in 50 years.

It was obviously a drainage issue. Man up and fix it, apologise, and we can all go back to complaining about MRTs.

**** In Poor Taste <http://hardhitting-nobs.blogspot.com/2011/03/in-poor-taste.html>
Musings From The Lion City

The Japanese tsunami is a disaster of epic, historical significance. It will go down in the history books. Comparing the Orchard Road floods to that is a joke that’s not even remotely funny.

**** 选前报道 条例虽放宽 候选人都须公开所拟使用的网络平台 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp110315_017.shtml>
周殊钦, 联合早报

按照规定,候选人应该在竞选期开始后的12小时内,透过指定的表格或选举局网站做初步的申报,之后他们如果想使用其他的新媒体平台,也必须先申报才可使用。

当局也提醒说,尽管新条例允许竞选活动的现场录像作为各政党的宣传广告,然而这只限于竞选活动的相关录像。那些有意在竞选期间使用影片的政党和候选人,如将竞选纲领以影片方式呈现,都应该及早向电影检查局提交相关影片,以便及时获得审核分级。

**** 选前报道 法律博士或是工人党“王牌” <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp110315_016.shtml>
韩咏梅, 联合早报

工人党可能打出一张“王牌”,推出学历和行动党一般“重量级”候选人学历旗鼓相当的律师陈硕茂,参加来届大选。

50岁的陈硕茂是美国达维律师事务所(Davis Polk & Wardwell)的合伙人,他目前是达维北京代表处的首席代表。

**** 放宽家庭月入顶限后 盛港与武吉班让Bto 三房式组屋最抢手 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp110315_014.shtml>
李静仪, 联合早报

**** GRC System: Wool Over Eyes (Part 3 Of 6) <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/03/grc-system-wool-over-eyes-part-3-of-6/>
Rajiv Chaudhry, The Online Citizen

**** Effect Of Election Advertising Amendments On Non-party Netizens <http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2011/03/15/effect-of-election-advertising-amendments-on-non-party-netizens/>
Yawning Bread

I saw this as bowing to the inevitable. Netizens, anonymous or not, were anyway going to do what they were going to do. There would be so many doing so anonymously, that if the government had to track them down for prosecution during or after the campaign, the entire government machinery would be so bogged down, it would come to a halt. So they’ve decided to recognise the inevitable and use the opportunity to cloak themselves with magnanimity instead.

**** Permits Needed At Speakers' Corner During Polls <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_645269.html>
Straits Times

Those who want to hold an event at Speakers' Corner during the election period must apply for a permit, even if the event is not related to the polls.

The Election Department told reporters about the rule change on Monday at a briefing.

**** Is Singapore Still Going For Nuclear With Japan Nuclear Meltdown? <http://bigtalksingapore.wordpress.com/2011/03/15/is-singapore-still-going-for-nuclear-with-japan-nuclear-meltdown/>
Big Talk Singapore

**** Easing Of Rules On New Media For Coming GE <http://sg.yfittopostblog.com/2011/03/15/easing-of-rules-on-new-media-for-coming-ge/>
Faris, Yahoo!

**** Empty Pond Syndrome? <http://trulysingapore.wordpress.com/2011/03/15/empty-pond-syndrome/>
Yours Truly Singapore

HDB resale price increased by $150,000 over the last four years. Not a single soul challenged HDB’s insistence that flats are affordable. How can this be a first world parliament?

The government gave beautiful figures showing growth in median wages. Not a single soul linked it to the fact that we have merely imported more Indian professionals taking on high paying jobs that doesn’t in any way increase our own salaries. How can this be a first world parliament?

The government casually linked wage growth with growth in foreign worker population to explain that the former depends on the latter. Not a single soul pointed out the amateurish leap in logic from correlation to dependence. How can this be a first world parliament?

**** Singapore Senior Minister Goh: Unlikely To Reverse Foreign Worker Levy Hike <http://www.nasdaq.com/aspx/stock-market-news-story.aspx?storyid=201103150229dowjonesdjonline000047&title=singapore-senior-minister-gohunlikely-to-reverse-foreign-worker-levy-hike>
Gaurav Raghuvanshi, Dow Jones

Singapore is unlikely to reverse an increase in foreign worker levy announced in the budget this year as it seeks to reduce dependence on overseas labor and increase productivity and incomes of the local population, senior minister Goh Chok Tong said Tuesday.

**** Singapore Retail Sales Growth Slows More Than Forecast <http://www.rttnews.com/Content/AllEconomicNews.aspx?Id=1575540&SM=1>
RTTNews

Singapore's retail sales growth eased more than expected in January as high cost of certificate of entitlement (COE) pulled down auto sales.

**** Online Campaigning: More Freedom To Shoot Oneself In The Foot <http://journalism.sg/2011/03/15/online-campaigning-more-freedom-to-shoot-oneself-in-the-foot/>
Cherian George, Journalism.sg

The obvious catch is that this is a liberalisation of so-called prior restraints (rules that shut you up before you've had a chance to say anything) but doesn’t necessarily represent any easing in post-publication punishments (getting you for what you actually say).

Parties would be unwise to assume that defamation law, in particular, will be any less relevant in Campaign 2011. The government does not accept that the cut and thrust of campaigning is an excuse for politicians to sully one another’s reputations with allegations that they can’t prove in court.

**** Today Again Censors SDP's News <http://yoursdp.org/index.php/news/singapore/4660-today-again-censors-sdps-news>
Singapore Democratic Party

**** Singapore's Speaker's Corner Shut Down For Polls <http://www.asiasentinel.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3063&Itemid=181>
Asia Sentinel

The city state can’t tolerate unrestricted speech during an election campaign.

**** Some MindbloMindboggling Quotes From MPs <http://voiceforsgppl.blogspot.com/2011/03/some-mindblomindboggling-quotes-from.html>
Alternative Voice For Singaporeans

**** Election Rallies Are So Old-fashioned <http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2011/03/15/election-rallies-are-so-old-fashioned/>
Yawning Bread

A smart response, in my view, would be for the PAP to shift the paradigm again: No more rallies. Don’t create opportunities to be embarrassed. Once such a decision is taken, the subsequent question will naturally be: How else to campaign for votes? Clearly the answer will have to lie with new media. Perhaps a blitz of cool videos, catchy phrases that can be spread by mobile media and other tools which even I myself, not being state of the art in many ways, cannot anticipate.

If indeed they took such a decision some time back, they would have spent maybe 18 months conceptualising and putting together such a campaign. Meanwhile the opposition parties have been stuck in their old ways (the Singapore Democratic party excepted) thinking in terms of market walkabouts and rallies in muddy fields, assuming that there will be little liberalisation of media rules.