[MyAppleMenu] Jul 25, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Jul 25 18:59:00 EDT 2011

**** Apple And Power Users: A Lopsided Love Affair <http://thenextweb.com/apple/2011/07/24/apple-and-power-users-a-lopsided-love-affair/?awesm=tnw.to_1A7EM>
Matthew Panzarino, The Next Web

What, to the power user, may seem like hostility, is in fact closer to apathy. Apple is telling these users that if they’re interested in bending the system to their will, then they will have to find their own way of doing that. Apple is too busy building a system that will appeal to billions to cater to the comparatively small thousands that make up the power user base.

**** New Apple iPad Ad 'We'll Always', With Nod To OS X Lion <http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/24/new-apple-ipad-ad-well-always/>
Arnold Kim, MacRumors

Apple released a new iPad television advertisement tonight called "We'll Always" which shows off the iPad in many different uses.

**** How The Editor Of Windows Magazine Became An Apple Fanboy <http://www.cultofmac.com/how-the-editor-of-windows-magazine-became-an-apple-fanboy/105882>
Mike Elgan, Cult Of Mac

**** Dragon Dictate Adds Full Support For Word 2011, Mobile Mic App <http://www.macworld.com/article/161318/2011/07/dragon_dictate_25.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Philip Michaels, Macworld

With the latest version of Dragon Dictation for Mac, users of the speech recognition program no longer need to choose between talking and typing when creating documents in Microsoft Word. Dragon Dictation 2.5, unveiled Monday, will let them do both.

**** Hands On With Adobe InDesign CS5.5 <With the latest version of Dragon Dictation for Mac, users of the speech recognition program no longer need to choose between talking and typing when creating documents in Microsoft Word. Dragon Dictation 2.5, unveiled Monday, will let them do both. >
Jay J. Nelson, Macworld

**** See The Whole Conversation In Lion Mail <http://www.macworld.com/article/161316/2011/07/lion_mail_conversations.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Lex Friedman, Macworld

In the View Conversations section, check the box for Include Related Messages. That's it!

**** 18 Ways To View The ~/Library Folder In Lion <http://www.macworld.com/article/161156/2011/07/view_library_folder_in_lion.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Dan Frakes, Macworld

While I understand Apple’s motives here—I’ve had to troubleshoot more than a few Macs on which an inexperienced user had munged the contents of ~/Library—there are plenty of valid reasons a user might need to access their personal Library folder. Luckily, as I mentioned, the folder is just hidden, using a special file attribute called the hidden flag. You just need to know how to access the folder or, if you prefer, unhide it. I've come up with 18 ways to do so; which one(s) you choose will depend on how frequently you’ll need to access the folder and which method better fits your workflow.

**** Install QuickTime 7 Pro With Lion <http://www.macworld.com/article/161320/2011/07/lion_quicktime7.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

**** Amazon's 'Kindle' App Updated To Remove Direct Kindle Store Links <http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/25/amazons-kindle-app-updated-to-remove-direct-kindle-store-links/>
Eric Slivka, MacRumors

**** Apple Releases iOS 4.3.5 To Fix Certificate Validation <http://www.macworld.com/article/161328/2011/07/ios435.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Lex Friedman, Macworld

Apple says that the new update fixes a security vulnerability with certificate validation.

**** How A Security Researcher Discovered The Apple Battery "Hack" <http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2011/07/how-charlie-miller-discovered-the-apple-battery-hackhow-a-security-researcher-discovered-the-apple-battery-hack.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss>
Chris Foresman, Ars Technica

While the threat of un-installable viruses that cause laptop batteries to explode is highly unlikely, the truth is that the vulnerability exists in the first place because of a blunder on Apple's part. While researching potential vulnerabilities in the MacBook Pro's power management system, Miller inadvertently discovered that Apple used default passwords described in publicly available documentation on the Smart Battery System, which allows rewriting the firmware itself.

**** Apple Releases Revised Mac OS X 10.6.8 With Patch For Existing Users <http://www.macrumors.com/2011/07/25/apple-releases-revised-mac-os-x-10-6-8-with-patch-for-existing-users/>
Eric Slivka, MacRumors

Apple today released a series of Mac OS X 10.6.8 releases, apparently revising the original version as well as offering a "supplemental update" to patch systems that have already been upgraded to the latest version of Mac OS X Snow Leopard.

**** Casabianca By Felicia Dorothea Hemans <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/jul/25/poem-of-the-week-felicia-hemans?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Carol Rumens, The Guardian

**** Could Answer To Transport Woes Lie In Immigration Policy? <http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singaporescene/could-answer-transport-woes-lie-immigration-policy-131812406.html>
Andrew Loh, Yahoo!

It is quite obvious that unless we build more lines or increase the frequency of the trains to beyond the limit the system is able to handle, we will continue to have to endure the current problems. And if Singapore continues with its immigration and foreign workers policies, while also chasing ever-increasing tourist numbers, the problems can only get worse.

**** Tan Cheng Bock: No Need For Grand Posturing <http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singaporescene/tan-cheng-bock-no-grand-posturing-011327163.html>
Alicia Wong, Yahoo!

"You ask yourself what is it you want? You want results or to show you are such a great fighter, for me I would rather make sure I get good results."

**** Singapore: Talent No Enough, so say the Lees <http://speakspokewritewrote.wordpress.com/2011/07/25/singapore-talent-no-enough-so-say-the-lees/>
SpeakSpokeWriteWrote

**** Sorry Folks Price Has To Go Up Else Who Paying My Salary? <http://javertworld.blogspot.com/2011/07/sorry-folks-price-has-to-go-up-else-who.html>
Javert World

Of cause he has to side SMRT and SBS Transit. After all they are paying lots of money to the government in taxes and therefore sustained their million dollar salaries.

So the Elites here are screwing the Peasants for their own wealth.

**** The 3 to 5 Year Wait <http://singaporedesk.blogspot.com/2011/07/3-to-5-year-wait.html>
Singapore Notes

Khaw has admitted that rising resale prices are also attributable to an imbalance in supply and demand - stark evidence of years of bad governance in national housing development - and launched two housing projects to address the myopia of his predecessor, "The more I push out, I am sure there is some influence." So what's holding up the minister to go the whole hog?

**** Singaporean Engagement: Complement Municipal Discussions With Policy Discourse <http://guanyinmiao.wordpress.com/2011/07/25/singaporean-engagement-complement-municipal-discussions-with-policy-discourse/>
Guanyinmiao's Musings

**** Depends On Which Hat You Wearing PM <http://atans1.wordpress.com/2011/07/25/depends-on-which-hat-you-wearing-pm/>
Thoughts Of A Cynical Investor

Whether the PM and his cabinet want the companies to make big profits or not, depends on which hat they are wearing.

**** Singapore Inflation Quickens To Fastest Pace Since January On Food Prices <http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-07-25/singapore-inflation-quickens-to-fastest-pace-since-january-on-food-prices.html>
Shamim Adam And Sarina Yoo, Bloomberg

Singapore’s inflation accelerated to the fastest pace since January as food and housing costs increased, sustaining pressure on the central bank to allow the currency to appreciate and contain price gains.

The consumer price index rose 5.2 percent last month from a year earlier, the Department of Statistics said in a statement today. That matched the median estimate of 13 economists surveyed by Bloomberg News. Inflation was 4.5 percent in May, according to previously reported data.

**** Lawyer Gets Life-time Ban For 'Scandalising The Courts' <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_694493.html>
Straits Times

The Court of Three Judges on Monday barred former Singaporean Gopalan Nair from ever practising law in Singapore.

Justices Tan Lee Meng, Tay Yong Kwang and Lee Seiu Kin struck him off the roll following an application by the Law Society that Mr Nair, 60, face disciplinary action for scandalising the courts and conduct not befitting a lawyer.

**** Cheap Shot For Tony <http://thetwophilo.wordpress.com/2011/07/25/cheap-shot-for-tony/>
Thetwophilo's Blog

The PAP govt seems to measure people’s lives not by how they are enabled to live them to the fullest, based on their innate abilities and potentials. Instead it seems to be decided by how much money we, the people, could make for the govt. This is all very one-sided communitarianism – from people to govt and nothing in reciprocal from the govt. The be-all and end-all of the population to the PAP govt seems to be wholly decided on this basis.

**** It’s Not Who Runs It, But How It Is Run <http://newasiarepublic.com/?p=30641>
Christopher Tan, New Asia Republic

Those who favour privatisation tout superior efficiency spurred by the profit motive as one of the top reasons. This, however, has been challenged in recent years. Recent studies, including those by the International Monetary Fund and the World Bank, have concluded that it matters little whether an infrastructure or service is in private or public hands.

Hence, simply privatising a service does not necessarily make it better. History is replete with examples of privatisation or private enterprises failing miserably in the public transport arena.

**** Presidential Election Watch Part III - Dr Tony Tan & Singaporeans' CPF Savings & Wage Cuts <http://de-leviathan.blogspot.com/2011/07/presidential-election-watch-part-iii-dr.html>
De Leviathan @ Sg

**** Re-employment: A Joke? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/07/re-employment-a-joke/>
Leong Sze Hian, The Online Citizen

Ask any country in the world, and our Re-employment Act may best be described “as a joke”, as there is so little protection for workers, with employers being able to offer any terms based on “reasonable”factors other than age discrimination, or just offer $4,500 to $10,000 compensation to not offer re-employment, or fire the worker before 62, or don’t hire older workers in the first place, etc.

**** Why Many Singaporeans Are Irked By Mr Lee Kuan Yew’s Remark On Foreign Talents <http://www.temasekreview.com/2011/07/25/why-many-singaporeans-are-irked-by-mr-lee-kuan-yew’s-remark-on-foreign-talents/>
Gilbert Goh, The Temasek Review

**** What Is A President For And How Do We Choose? <http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2011/07/26/what-is-a-president-for-and-how-do-we-choose/>
Au Waipang, Yawning Bread

The president may not have any role in making policy, but he can lend legitimacy to alternative viewpoints. Or he can speak out in ways that help focus any public debate on the key question, even if, in the process, he has to subtly debunk arguments put forward for the government as red herrings, which is something that the PAP government often resorts to. Most importantly, his role is to articulate regularly the aspirations of Singaporeans, be it for more compassion, more equality, more openness or more hope. In other words, his role is to provide moral leadership, and if you ask me, Singapore has waited too long already for anyone capable of providing that.