[MyAppleMenu] Jul 24, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Jul 24 18:59:00 EDT 2011

**** Minco 1.3 <http://www.macworld.com/article/160806/2011/07/minco.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Brendan Wilhide, Macworld

Minco stands out from a crowded time tracker field due to its deep integration with iCal and its ability to publish tasks in other programs. It’s a slick utility and a wise choice for anyone seeking a better way to track how time is spent.

**** Even Geekier Window Resizing <http://www.red-sweater.com/blog/1990/even-geekier-window-resizing>
Daniel Jalkut, Red Sweater

These are some pretty geeky resizing modes. I don’t foresee using them particuarly often, but it’s interesting to know they are there.

**** First Look: Apple's New 11 And 13 Inch Thunderbolt MacBook Air <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/07/23/first_look_apples_new_11_and_13_inch_thunderbolt_macbook_air.html>
Daniel Eran Dilger, AppleInsider

**** Apple's 'Grand' Opening <http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manhattan/apple_grand_opening_qN2eAxoUYKl8NoCHhXNxdP#ixzz1SwktH5Li>
Jennifer Fermino, New York Post

Tech giant Apple has inked a 10-year deal with the MTA to open its largest store in the world in Grand Central Terminal. The 23,000-square-foot store will take up Grand Central's north and northeast balconies, displacing Charlie Palmer's Metrazur restaurant, according to MTA documents.

**** In Defence Of Dogs By John Bradshaw – Review <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/jul/24/in-defence-of-dogs-review?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Bella Bathurst, The Guardian

By giving the reader an overview of mankind's relationship with both dogs and wolves, he also shows us ourselves – our need for connection but our insistence that it be on our terms, our hellish good intentions.

**** Book Review: 'Turn Of Mind' By Alice LaPlante <http://www.latimes.com/features/books/la-ca-alice-la-plante-20110724,0,2490351.story?track=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+features%2Fbooks+%28Los+Angeles+Times+-+Books%29>
Etelka Lehoczky, Los Angeles Times

Alzheimer's disease doesn't seem like a great subject for a page-turner. Affecting 10% of us over 65 and 50% older than 85, it inspires dread in the culture. And yet a page-turner is exactly what Alice LaPlante has crafted with "Turn of Mind," a novel told from the point of view of a woman with dementia.

**** As Gripping As ABC <http://www.boston.com/bostonglobe/ideas/articles/2011/07/24/as_gripping_as_abc/?rss_id=Boston+Globe+--+Ideas+section>
Erin McKean, Boston Globe

Told in alphabetical, rather than chronological order, “The Lover’s Dictionary” co-opts the structure of the dictionary to define the arc of a relationship in an obliquely satisfying way.

**** Baffled At A Bookcase <http://www.lrb.co.uk/v33/n15/alan-bennett/baffled-at-a-bookcase>
Alan Bennett, London Review Of Books

I have always been happy in libraries, though without ever being entirely at ease there. A scene that seems to crop up regularly in plays that I have written has a character, often a young man, standing in front of a bookcase feeling baffled.

**** Religiosity And Income Inequality <http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2011/07/24/religiosity-and-income-inequality/>
Au Waipang, Yawning Bread

Muslims in the present generation observe the dress code more strictly than previous generations. Christian fervour seems to be greater today, with many instances of overzealous proselytisation. Intolerance seems to be increasing rather than decreasing. Against the backdrop of rising inequality as measured by the Gini coefficient — the outcome of economic policies pursued by the PAP government — we can’t help wondering if the study’s findings may well apply in Singapore too.

**** Temasek: 4 Senior Departures In 9 Mths <http://atans1.wordpress.com/2011/07/24/temasek-4-senior-departures-in-9-mths/>
Thoughts Of A Cynical Investor

**** 公交私营化就一定好吗? <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/yl/yl110724_003.shtml>
张从兴, 联合早报

**** Business As Usual For PAP’s Pro-foreigner Policy <http://www.temasekreview.com/2011/07/24/pap-governments-policy-on-foreign-talent-has-been-officially-reiterated-by-lky/>
The Temasek Review

Those Singaporeans who foolishly voted for the PAP in GE 2011 have now been reminded by LKY that they are not good enough and that they are not talented enough – and that’s why LKY prefers foreign talent. If they are happy about what LKY has said, then they should have their heads checked.

**** Our Readers Stories On The Public Transport <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/07/our-readers-stories-on-the-public-transport/>
The Online Citizen

**** Too Much Too Little Too Late <http://thinkhappiness.blogspot.com/2011/07/too-much-too-little-too-late.html>
Think Happiness

**** Years To Correct Supply-demand Imbalance For HDB Flats: Khaw <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1142742/1/.html>
Joanne Chan, Channel NewsAsia

National development minister Khaw Boon Wan expects to take three to five years to substantively solve the imbalance between the supply and demand for HDB resale flats.

He said he is confident that resale flat prices will stabilise but stressed that the problem of high prices cannot be solved overnight. He urged Singaporeans to be patient.

**** Enter The PM <http://andrewlohhp.wordpress.com/2011/07/24/enter-the-pm/>
Andrew Loh

The problems with our public transport system have been around for years. Lets not forget this. Not days or weeks or months. Years. And each time complaints are made about the system, we are told to see things in perspective. Just yesterday, we were told by the PM to “relax”.

At some point, we have to question if we have the right people in charge. And by this I mean the entire slew of officials who are suppose to be looking into and solving the problems – the CEOs of the PTOs, the Public Transport Council (PTC), the Land Transport Authority (LTA), and yes the prime minister himself.

**** Singpore Public Transport Revisited <http://elitocracy.blogspot.com/2011/07/singpore-public-transport-revisited.html>
More Good Years Ahead .. For The Elites

**** No To The Mandatory Death Penalty. <http://kirstenhan.me/2010/04/05/no-to-the-mandatory-death-penalty/>
Funny Little World

**** Reconsider Video Recording ... <http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC110725-0000031/Reconsider-video-recording-,,,>
Lim Ker Sheon, Today

With the greatest respect to the Ministry of Law (MinLaw), the need for video recording of interviews is not merely to mitigate against coerced statements but against inaccuracies in taking statements.

Quite aside from the occasional rogue officer who coerces statements, this is really a case of "Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?" (Who will guard the guards themselves?)

**** The Lines Are Starting To Blur <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110725-0000006/The-lines-are-starting-to-blur>
Eugene K B Tan, Today

Driving this trend is the desire of citizens to be involved and not be a mere digit in policy-making and policy implementation.