[MyAppleMenu] Jul 3, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Jul 3 18:59:00 EDT 2011

**** Supreme Court Rules Games Are Art, Is Apple Listening? <http://www.appolicious.com/tech/articles/8606-supreme-court-rules-games-are-art-is-apple-listening>
Dan Kricke, Appolicious

Sure, not all games even come close to representing “art,” but The Supremes have the right idea, Apple. If people don’t like the apps, believe me, they’ll let everyone know by not purchasing them. It’s time to right a wrong and loosen up on App Store restrictions.

**** Book Review: 'For The Love Of Physics' <http://www.latimes.com/features/books/la-ca-walter-lewin-20110703,0,6288082.story?track=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+features%2Fbooks+%28Los+Angeles+Times+-+Books%29>
Sara Lippincott, Los Angeles Times

MIT's Walter Lewin takes the average person on a fascinating trip through physics and his adventures in the classroom.

**** Gripes Over Woodlands Train Checkpoint <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_686714.html>
Daryl Chin, Straits Times

Parking issues, a lack of toilets and cramped queueing space. These were some of the problems passengers encountered while in the queue at Woodlands Train Checkpoint for the morning Express Rakyat to Kuala Lumpur on Saturday.

**** Tiger Airways Singapore Operations Are Safe, Says CAAS <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1138544/1/.html>
Lynda Hong, Channel NewsAsia

The Civil Aviation Authority of Singapore (CAAS) said it has not found any cause for concern in Tiger Singapore's ability to operate flights in a safe manner, as part of its regular surveillance of the airline.

Australia's airline safety regulator has grounded Singapore budget carrier Tiger Airways Australia for a week - due to safety concerns. This means Tiger Airways flights in Australia will be suspended until July 9, but flights from Australia to Singapore are not affected.

**** Singapore Nursing Homes Face Bed Crunch <http://news.xinhuanet.com/english2010/health/2011-07/03/c_13962904.htm>
Xinhua

The over 60 nursing homes in Singapore, especially those run by voluntary welfare organizations, are facing a bed crunch, local daily Straits Times reported on Sunday.

**** PAP To Splurge $800,000 On YOG Festival <http://www.temasekreview.com/2011/07/03/pap-to-splurge-800000-on-yog-festival/>
The Temasek Review

Till today, PAP minister Dr Vivian Balakrishnan has yet to account for the shocking overblowing of the budget by more than 3 times as well as the mass food poisoning outbreak which he had earlier promised to investigate.

**** Politicians Pay Tribute To President Nathan: All A Show <http://rogerpoh.wordpress.com/2011/07/03/politicians-pay-tribute-to-president-nathan-all-a-show/>
Spotlight On Singapore

No doubt his hands were tied, but a president with the moral and intellectual courage would have asked these questions.

That’s if he is really the people’s President and not the ruling People’s Action Party’s President, a repressive party which has ruled Singapore with an iron fist for more than 40 unbroken years.

**** MG Chan Chun Sing Scores An Own Goal For PAP Super-dominance <http://www.visakanv.com/blog/2989/the-wisdom-of-mg-chan-chun-sing/>
Visakan Veerasamy

**** Clinging To The Noose – Is Singapore Getting Left Behind? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/07/clinging-to-the-noose-–-is-singapore-getting-left-behind/>
Kirsten Han, The Online Citizen

While the recent developments in Malaysia indicate that our neighbour might be surging ahead of us towards joining the global move away from capital punishment, the campaign against the mandatory death penalty in Singapore remains an uphill battle.

But activists like myself refuse to give up. Welcoming the first steps that Malaysia has taken towards reviewing the death penalty, we continue with our campaign in Singapore and hope that one day we, too, will be able to join the increasing number of countries around the world who are turning their backs on this draconian punishment.

**** Eat That, Gerard Ee! <http://politicalwritings.wordpress.com/2011/07/03/eat-that-gerard-ee/>
Political Writings

Show Mao’s example shows us what patriotic and capable people can do to serve the country. In office, he’ll accept whatever the pay is, not complain about private sector benchmarks. When it’s time for him to leave, he’ll go quietly and return to being a private citizen, not ask for an “Emeritus” or “Minister Mentor” title.

So unlike PAP ministers, who see themselves as ministers for life, and so demand compensation for their lost careers.

**** (财经·国际)经济随笔:新加坡社会诚信原则无处不在 <http://bond.stcn.com/content/2011-07/03/content_2912146.htm>
陈济朋, 新华社

小小一起盗版案件,显示的却是新加坡社会对诚信原则的高度重视。作为区域贸易和金融枢纽,新加坡的法治闻名遐迩。在这个高度发达的商业社会,诚信原则体现在商业和人们日常生活的各个方面。公寓的物业管理公司是接受了业主的委托;幼儿园和护理中心是接受了客户的委托,负责照顾儿童和老人;员工对公司也往往有契约上的受托责任。