[MyAppleMenu] Jul 2, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Jul 2 18:59:00 EDT 2011

**** App Smart Extra: A Bedtime Story Via The iPad <http://gadgetwise.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/07/01/app-smart-extra-a-bedtime-story-via-the-ipad/?partner=rss&emc=rss>
Bob Tedeschi, New York Times

**** The iPad 2: I Never Wanted One Until I Got One, Now I Can’t Live Without It <http://www.runaroundtech.com/2011/07/01/the-ipad-2-i-never-wanted-one-until-i-got-one-now-i-cant-live-without-it/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+runaroundtechcom+%28runaroundtech.com%29>
Sahil Arora, RunaroundTech

**** Apple: Revising The Definition Of Pro <http://kensegall.com/blog/2011/06/apple-revising-the-definition-of-pro/>
Ken Segall's Observatory

As the definition of Pro has changed, so have Apple’s priorities. That’s why iMac is now faster than Mac Pro. That’s why Aperture has remained an also-ran to Adobe Lightroom. That’s why the upgrade to FCP7 took forever, and why FCPX turned out as it did.

In the world of Apple, a Pro product used to mean “designed for high-end professionals with needs far beyond those of mortal men.” Now it simply means “the high-performance model.”

**** Standard Chartered: Multinational Banking Goes Mobile. <http://www.apple.com/ipad/business/profiles/standard-chartered/?sr=hotnews.rss>
Apple

Standard Chartered Bank is an international bank with 1800 branches on six continents, dozens of recent industry awards, and steadily increasing profits through organic growth and acquisitions. iPhone and iPad provide a perfect platform to expand the bank’s mobile services, both internally and to its increasingly tech-savvy customers.

**** Disk Falcon 1.1 <http://www.macworld.com/article/160443/2011/07/diskfalcon1.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Roman Loyola, Macworld

Disk Falcon is pretty much a one-trick pony; it’s not really a disk utility application, and more like a limited graph generator that uses the contents of your hard drive.

**** Terror Of Teenage Life <http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/03/books/review/book-review-the-raising-and-space-in-chains-by-laura-kasischke.html?partner=rss&emc=rss&pagewanted=all>
Stephen Burt, New York Times

If and when you go away to college you can become somebody else; you can kill off your old self and be reborn. So generations of young people have believed. But once they have done it — ditching provincial tastes and hometown boyfriends for a sorority, a fraternity or an undergraduate bohemia — they may trade one conformity for another; they may feel haunted by their former lives. No wonder teenage life, on and off campus, seems to fit stories of vampires, ghosts, the undead. Laura Kasischke is hardly the first to use such figures (as fans of “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” know) but with her new novel, “The Raising,” she pursues them almost perfectly. Almost a supernatural thriller, almost a campus satire and almost but not quite a coming-of-age tale, “The Raising” is also the best of Kasischke’s eight novels, the one with the broadest canvas, the most observation, its large cast arranged with a scary economy of detail.

**** A Good Joke Spoiled <http://www.tnr.com/article/books-and-arts/magazine/90498/mark-twain-autobiography?passthru=MDcwYzg0MDAxMjQ3YzZhNjNhYTNjNjM3YmZlMGFmZGI>
Michael Lewis, The New Republic

Apart from a frontier notion of freedom, Twain never met an idea he could not reduce to a joke. He doesn’t even appear to have been wedded to his own skepticism.

**** Brace For Apple's Shift From MobileMe To iCloud <http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2015452636_ptmacc02.html>
Glenn Fleishman, Seattle Times

Whether you're a new or longtime MobileMe customer, or use any iOS devices such as the iPhone, the end of MobileMe will be mildly disruptive. It depends on what services you currently take advantage of.

**** Six Coffee Shops Sold For Nearly $60m <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_686407.html>
Huang Lijie & Danson Cheong, Straits Times

Six coffee shops have sold for an eye-popping price tag of nearly $60 million - showing how popular this form of dining has become for Singaporeans.

The most expensive, a 13-stall outlet in Bukit Batok Street 11, sold for $14.5 million while two others in Tampines and Yishun fetched more than $10 million each.

**** Malaysia-Singapore Joint Venture A Win-win Enterprise <http://biz.thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2011/7/2/business/9014720&sec=business>
Thean Lee Cheng, The Star

The involvement of the Malaysian and Singaporean governments in the development of real estate in Johor and Singapore is significant in more ways than one. It is not only a move that harnesses the benefits to be reaped from real estate development in both countries; there is also the political side of it, besides the social aspect.

**** 保存旧街道俗称事不宜迟 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/yl/yl110702_001.shtml>
麦专程, 联合早报

随着老一辈人的离去,加上年轻一代对方言的认识贫乏,惯用街名俗称在当今社会已经逐渐被淡忘或失传。新移民的涌入也令街名俗称不再普遍使用,这些俗称很有可能在不久彻底消失。比起其他历史文物抑或建筑古迹,坊间流传的口语非实体,覆盖层面广,比较难规范和统计,不过我们务必将它完整地保存下来。

**** Startling But False <http://mndsingapore.wordpress.com/2011/07/02/startling-but-false/>
Khaw Boon Wan, Singapore Government

If only BT had verified the facts, the misleading article could have been avoided.

**** The Morning After <http://thelongnwindingroad.wordpress.com/2011/07/02/the-morning-after/>
The Long And Winding Road

What is to become of this wonderful world now that we have sent the last of the trains through it off, we don’t now know, but there are certainly many who wish to see that the charm of the green world that lines the corridor kept as it now is, providing a world that many in Singapore can as I have done run off to …

**** Citizen’s Savings Become Nation’s Reserves <http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.com/2011/07/citizens-savings-become-nations.html>
Chua Chin Leng, My Singapore News

**** Goodbye And Good Riddance <http://singaporedesk.blogspot.com/2011/07/goodbye-and-good-riddance.html>
Singapore Notes

Of all the nauseating "tributes" collated for face saving gestures, this one takes the cake: "His time in office will be remembered as one of wisdom and compassion." Need we be reminded that all those calls for a presidential pardon for Yong Vui Kong fell on deaf ears and an ice-cold heart?

**** Singapore Retakes Malaysia Land In Rail Deal <http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5jAh3D76_zpZLSmT2YaXjJ2We6eWA?docId=CNG.a2e1e11ff51023279bd59f11049ad96b.341>
Simin Wang, AFP

The festive handover resolved a longstanding gripe among Singaporeans over Malaysia's continued ownership of land running deep into the city-state's territory, well after the two countries' acrimonious separation.

**** Australia Grounds Tiger Airways Over Safety Fears <http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5gMVaJQSkhG61PV3O32NmV3eU5BCg?docId=CNG.6b07e1d5b9141d93e660216b69b0b89d.991>
Amy Coopes, AFP

Aviation regulators grounded budget carrier Tiger Airways Australia because it posed a "serious and imminent risk to air safety", throwing the travel plans of thousands of people into chaos.

Tiger said the suspension related to "two recent operational incidents" -- reportedly involving aircraft flying dangerously low -- and it would cooperate fully with CASA.

**** Time To Reform The People’s Association? <http://singapore2025.wordpress.com/2011/07/02/time-to-reform-the-peoples-association/>
Singapore 2025

**** Singapore Not Serious About An Extradition Treaty: Marzuki <http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2011/07/01/singapore-not-serious-about-extradition-treaty-marzuki.html>
The Jakarta Post

Indonesian House of Representatives speaker Marzuki Alie accused Singapore of downplaying the need for “pure” talks on an extradition treaty between the two neighbors.

“Singapore has, at all times, never seriously responded to our need to make a pure extradition treaty. Our two countries are supposed to agree on an extradition treaty without relating it to other matters,” Marzuki said Friday in Jakarta, as quoted by tempointeraktif.com.

**** Selamat Jalan KTM <http://goodmorningyesterday.blogspot.com/2011/07/selamat-jalan-ktm-by-peter-chan.html>
Good Morning Yesterday

**** HDB DBSS: 76%, 25% Or 15%? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/07/hdb-dbss-76-25-or-15/>
Leong Sze Hian, The Online Citizen

If the HDB is more transparent in the first place, there may be no need for the media or Singaporeans like me to speculate and alarm the market further.

So, the ball’s in the HDB court now – be more transparent, because your lack of transparency may be fueling the frenzy in the market.

**** HDB And Housing Ministry Need To Go Back To First Principles <http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2011/07/02/4927/>
Au Waipang, Yawning Bread

The HDB needs to do some soul-searching as to its mission (and I assume providing housing for the bottom rungs of society must remain a key part of its mission) and review what affordability means, all this quite aside from execution efficiency, forward planning and other operational issues it has been accused of neglecting.

**** “Don’t Talk To Me About Human Rights. I’m Asian.” <http://kirstenhan.me/2011/07/02/dont-talk-to-me-about-human-rights-im-asian/>
Funny Little World

To label human rights as something that is “Western” and to say that they shouldn’t apply here, or that activists should not push their “white man” human rights agendas here because we are Asians suggests that it is inbuilt in our culture to not respect things like freedom of speech, freedom from slavery, freedom from torture or inhuman punishment, etc. as set out in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.

As an Asian (and proud of it), I categorically reject such a view.

**** Does It Matter Who Becomes President Of Singapore? <http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singaporescene/does-matter-becomes-president-singapore-073655777.html>
Andrew Loh, Yahoo!

It would thus seem that the matter of the president's role and responsibility regarding the reserves will continue to be an issue, no matter who eventually assumes the office at the Istana as Singapore's seventh president.

What could give rest to Singaporeans' concern is for the government and the two wealth management funds to be more open and forthcoming about the state of the reserves and their investments.