[MyAppleMenu] Aug 26, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Aug 26 18:59:01 EDT 2011

**** My Experience With Jobs And Apple <http://allenpaltrow.tumblr.com/post/9375814057/my-experience-with-jobs-and-apple>
Allen Paltrow

The first NY apple store in Soho opening was probably the coolest thing that happened to me between the ages 6 and 12. For a while I would spend almost every weekend there. Every year for halloween I was a mac, and I made a habit of shaving the Apple logo into my head to celebrate every OS launch.

**** Why I Love Dropbox On My Mac <http://noodlemac.com/index.php/mac/articles/why_i_love_drop_box_on_my_mac>
NoodleMac

**** The iPad Is A Personal Computer—true Or False? <http://arstechnica.com/business/news/2011/08/the-ipad-is-a-personal-computer-true-or-false.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss>
Ken Fisher, Ars Technica

I consider the iPad a PC because, in my view, a PC (Personal Computer) is just that: a personal computing device.

**** The Steve Jobs Moments I’ll Never Forget <http://farukat.es/journal/2011/08/605-steve-jobs-moments-ill-never-forget>
Faruk AteÅŸ

**** Free Stuff For Teachers, Homeschoolers, And Students - 2011 <http://www.mathdittos2.com/ednews/features/f110823-1.html>
Steve Wood, Educators' News

**** Why I'm Not Committing To Lion -- Yet <http://www.macworld.com/article/161910/2011/08/committing_to_lion.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

So, what it boils down to for me is this: What in Lion compels me to abandon what is currently a stable and functional version of the Mac OS? As a mouse-centric power user who’s tweaked his Mac to near-perfection, not enough.

Yet.

**** 3 Steps Get You To Distraction Free Tweeting <http://mac360.com/index.php/mac360/comments/3-steps-get-you-to-distraction-free-writing-tweeting>
Alexis Kayhill, Mac360

Wren tweets but doesn’t follow your Twitter timeline, so you’re not distracted by those you follow. It’s outbound only.

**** Science Question From A Toddler: How Ants Evolve <http://boingboing.net/2011/08/25/science-question-from-a-toddler-how-ants-evolve.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+boingboing%2FiBag+%28Boing+Boing%29>
Maggie Koerth-Baker, Boing Boing

On the surface, that system doesn't make a lot of sense. Evolution works because of natural selection, right? And that's based on sex—who manages to survive to adulthood and who manages to find a mate or mates. It's all about passing on your genes to the next generation.

So why would any species evolve a whole class of individuals who never have sex, and never have offspring?

**** Defining The Universe: Harder Than You Think <http://www.npr.org/blogs/13.7/2011/08/23/139875744/defining-the-universe-harder-than-you-think>
Marcelo Gleiser, NPR

It turns out that understanding the nature of the universe goes hand in hand with our understanding of who we are and how we fit into nature. To see this, consider how a person of the 16th century thought of the world.

**** Gold Coins: The Mystery Of The Double Eagle <http://www.businessweek.com/magazine/gold-coins-the-mystery-of-the-double-eagle-08252011.html>
Susan Berfield, BusinessWeek

How did a Philadelphia family get hold of $40 million in gold coins, and why has the Secret Service been chasing them for 70 years?

**** No Refunds For 'Expired', Single-use Standard Tickets? <http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC110826-0000305/No-refunds-for-expired,-single-use-standard-tickets?>
Loo Su Peng, Today

What is puzzling is that since the auto vending machine is able to detect that the cards have expired, it means that the cards were still functional and undamaged.

**** Singapore, Curry Day And Scapegoating <http://blog.ksaugustin.com/2011/08/26/singapore-curry-day-and-scapegoating/>
Fusion Despatches

**** PM Should Remove Any Bias Of Public Institutions <http://sg.news.yahoo.com/-pm-should-remove-any-bias-of-public-institutions-.html>
Andrew Loh, Yahoo!

At the end of the day, it is Singaporeans who will lose out if our public institutions – which should be beyond politics and beyond disrepute – are seen as nothing more than political tools to be used by the ruling party for its own selfish and myopic ends.

And indeed it would be an utter insult to the volunteers in the GROs who are genuine in wanting to do their part to serve the community.

**** Singapore Ruling Party Faces Test In Election <http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-08-25/singapore-ruling-party-faces-test-in-election.html>
Shamim Adam, Bloomberg

Singaporeans elect a president tomorrow for the first time in 18 years, giving a gauge of Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong’s popularity less than four months after his party retained power with the lowest support since independence in 1965.

**** Historic Handover Of Water Assets From S’pore <http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2011/8/26/nation/9375935&sec=nation>
The Satay Club

Singapore’s Public Utilities Board (PUB) is expected to hand over millions in water treatment assets to the Johor Government after the water agreement between Malaysia and Singapore expires at the end of this month.

**** Singapore Politics Turn Feisty Amid President Vote <http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2011/8/26/apworld/20110826170125&sec=apworld>
Associated Press

A growing number of Singaporeans are dissatisfied with their government, and increasingly the once-cowed populace is no longer afraid to speak out.

They have been getting a rare opportunity to do so this year because of two elections, one for parliament this past May and one for president this Saturday.

**** MOM Refutes Report On Mistreatment Of Migrant Workers <http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singaporescene/mom-refutes-report-mistreatment-migrant-workers-070318371.html>
Jeanette Tan, Yahoo!

**** Sand And Singapore <http://the-diplomat.com/asean-beat/2011/08/26/sand-and-singapore/>
Luke Hunt, The Diplomat

There's no shortage of smugglers in Southeast Asia and the Singapore land developers are well aware of this, prompting accusations by Greenpeace they have launched a ‘war’ for the commodity.

**** Brave New Singapore <http://www.asiasentinel.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3412&Itemid=164>
Asia Sentinel

For what appears to be the first time, Singapore is involved in a straight contest that should provide a true test of the government’s popularity. It is not possible to gerrymander the presidency.

**** Another Election Winds Down <http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2011/08/26/another-election-winds-down/>
Au Waipang, Yawning Bread