[MyAppleMenu] Aug 25, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Aug 25 18:59:00 EDT 2011

**** Strolling Artists, Bearing iPhones <http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/25/technology/personaltech/strolling-iphone-users-turn-snapshots-into-art.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
Todd Lappin, New York Times

The growth of iPhotography has been fueled by the thousands of inexpensive photography apps offered on Apple’s App Store.

**** Apple Turns To Tim Cook To Replace Steve Jobs <http://www.macworld.com/article/161929/2011/08/apple_turns_to_tim_cook_to_replace_steve_jobs.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Lex Friedman, Macworld

Apple's newest CEO has a tough act to follow. But in turning to chief operating officer Tim Cook to replace Steve Jobs in the wake of the latter’s resignation Wednesday, Apple's board of directors has chosen a familiar face with a proven track record with the company.

**** Steve Jobs’ Magnum Opus <http://journal.markbao.com/2011/08/steve-jobs-magnum-opus/>
Mark Bao

Steve Jobs’ magnum opus—his life’s great work—will be not just Apple, but creating an Apple that will continue to revolutionize without him.

**** Jobs Has Lighted Our Way <http://gerger.co/yalimslodge/2011/08/25/jobs-has-lighted-our-way/>
Yalım K. Gerger

No matter how many billions of dollars they made, Gates, Dell, Page and Brin were not able to get a penny from my father. Steve Jobs sold my father an iPad for $499, a cover for $69, and an app for $0.99.

Steve Jobs found a way through my father’s stubbornness, resistance and denial. He showed us the path. And for that I am thankful…

**** Tim Cook: My First-person Impression Of Apple's New CEO <http://www.tuaw.com/2011/08/25/tim-cook-my-first-person-impression-of-apples-new-ceo/>
Michael Grothaus, TUAW

His look, his tone, the long pause was evidence enough that he genuinely gave thought to the concern I brought up. And that's the day I began to feel like more than just a replaceable part. I was one of the tens of thousands of integral parts of Apple and it was Tim Cook's raw leadership ability, confidence, and subtle charisma that made me realize that.

**** Tim Cook E-mails Apple Employees: "Apple Is Not Going To Change" <http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2011/08/tim-cook-e-mail-to-apple-employees-apple-is-not-going-to-change.ars>
Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica

"I want you to be confident that Apple is not going to change. I cherish and celebrate Apple's unique principles and values. Steve built a company and culture that is unlike any other in the world and we are going to stay true to that—it is in our DNA. We are going to continue to make the best products in the world that delight our customers and make our employees incredibly proud of what they do."

**** Are There Hidden Messages In Pronouns? <http://www.slate.com/id/2301859/?from=rss>
Juliet Lapidos, Slate

James Pennebaker says computers reveal secret patterns.

**** All Over the Map: Writing on Buildings and Cities by Michael Sorkin – review <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/aug/25/all-over-michael-sorkin-review?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Rowan Moore, The Guardian

America's most invigorating writer on architecture is at his best when defending the importance of uncompromised public space.

**** I Can Speak Strongly For You, Says Tan Kin Lian <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110825-0000327/I-can-speak-strongly-for-you,-says-Tan-Kin-Lian>
Tanya Fong, Today

At an election rally last night, presidential candidate Tan Kin Lian once again highlighted his role in helping Singaporean investors who had lost money during the 2008 global financial crisis to underline his claim to be "the voice of the people".

**** Tony Tan's Sons Refute Online Allegations On NS Record <http://www.straitstimes.com/The-Big-Story/The-Big-Story-1/Story/STIStory_705770.html>
Zakir Hussain, Straits Times

Dr Tan's sons, aged 45, 42 and 35, have been the subject of insinuations that they were given special treatment during their NS stints even though they were combat-fit.

**** 工人党全面反驳各方指责 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp110825_004.shtml>
魏瑜嶙 陈紫筠 李蕙心, 联合早报

工人党针对后港区和阿裕尼集选区基层组织的指责,以及国家发展部和人民协会的声明,做出全面反驳。工人党强调,他们在接管阿裕尼-后港市镇会后,从来没有下达任何指令规定基层组织在租用市镇会所管辖的场地时,须邀请该区国会议员出席。

刘程强在声明中提出看法,国家发展部和人协是因为找不出更好的理由来说明为什么他们会把一些原属于阿裕尼-后港市镇会管理的场地,转给人协管理,才会让朱倍庆出面指责后港市镇会停止发放准证个居委会举办活动。这么做是试图让场地管理权转让一事合理化,也是在为朱倍庆的申请铺路。“这样的举措是前所未有的,而且具有政治意图。”

**** 大片霸占市场 电影院越开越多 电影选择越来越少 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/fk/fk110825_001.shtml>
李亦筠, 联合早报

本地的电影院越建越多,但是电影的选择却越来越少。不少人站在设计前卫新颖的戏院前,根本没有选择,因为所有大小的电影院,都被大片霸占,非主流电影——如封面引用的剧照《藏爱》——少得可怜。

**** UN Report Calls On Democracy In Singapore <http://www.yoursdp.org/index.php/news/singapore/4925-un-report-calls-on-democracy-in-singapore->
Singapore Democratic Party

The United Nations (UN) has released its report in the recently concluded Universal Periodic Review of Singapore that was held in May 2011. The exercise is part of the UN's on-going review of the state of politics among its member states.

Among some of the calls made to the PAP government included the lifting on the ban of peaceful public assemblies, the cessation of the use of defamation laws to stifle free speech, and the abolition of laws that curtail freedom of association. Several countries including Canada, the Czech Republic, Switzerland, and the United Kingdom made the proposals.

Calls were also made for the Singapore government to review its laws on mandatory death penalty.

**** I Endorse Tan Jee Say <http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2011/08/25/i-endorse-tan-jee-say/>
Au Waipang, Yawning Bread

I am voting for him because as far as I can see, he is forthright about his views and holds values that are in rough alignment with mine. These are values anyone with a concern for human rights and human dignity would be comfortable with. He has made an effort to acknowledge the concerns of the gay, lesbian and transgender communities. And not least, because I judge that his convictions are sincere and strong, he has the will to stand by them and, of all the candidates, the fortitude to withstand the bullying that will surely come.

**** PE: Tan Cheng Bock Will Give S'poreans "Annual Report" If Elected <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1149169/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

Dr Tan said it is important for him, if elected, to have good advisors with him. He said they should include people who are financially capable and good in constitutional law.

He added he intends to have six advisors and would be transparent to all Singaporeans.