[MyAppleMenu] Aug 20, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Aug 20 18:59:00 EDT 2011

**** Review: DevonThink Pro Office 2.2.1 Helps Manage Your Data <http://www.macworld.com/article/161735/2011/08/review_devonthink_pro_office_2_2_1_helps_manage_your_data.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Brendan Wilhide, Macworld

While it may take some time to learn how to unleash DevonThink’s powerful potential, the time can be worth it for users interested in truly taking the paperless plunge in their offices.

**** Scroll Reverser 1.4.2 <http://www.macworld.com/article/161834/2011/08/scroll_reverser.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Dan Frakes, Macworld

For some people, it just may be the thing that finally gets them using Lion's new scrolling—at least on some of their input devices.

**** Bugs & Fixes: How Best To Restore An OS X Lion Drive <http://www.macworld.com/article/161837/2011/08/restore_lion.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Ted Landau, Macworld

With the arrival of Lion, figuring out the best way to be prepared for a restore of your drive requires more planning than ever before. Some simplification may come with later updates to Lion. Until then, I highly recommend that you review all of the options covered here and determine which one(s) work best for you. Do it before trouble knocks on your front door.

**** Apple Sneaks A Big Change Into iOS 5: Phasing Out Developer Access To The UDID <http://techcrunch.com/2011/08/19/apple-ios-5-phasing-out-udid/>
Erick Schonfeld, TechCrunch

Apple notes that it will be phasing out access to the unique device identifier, or UDID, on iOS devices such as iPhones and iPads.

App publishers are now supposed to create their own unique identifiers to keep track of users going forward, which means they may have to throw all of their historical user data out the window and start from scratch.

**** Get More From The OS X Menu Bar <http://gigaom.com/apple/get-more-from-the-os-x-menu-bar/>
Josh Sunshine, GigaOM

The menu bar in OS X doesn’t just contain the menus for the application you’re currently using; it can also hold all sorts of helpful extras that can be accessed from any application with just one click. Here are a few of those extras, plus some handy tips for use in the menu bar.

**** The Birth Of The iRestaurant <http://www.inc.com/articles/201108/the-birth-of-the-ipad-only-restaurant.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+inc%2Fheadlines+%28Inc.com+Headlines%29>
Dave Smith, Inc

Running a restaurant has never been easier, thanks to the iPad. De Santos is the first in New York to run its restaurant completely off Apple's tablets.

**** Steve Brill’s Report Card On School Reform <http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/21/books/review/class-warfare-by-steven-brill-book-review.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
Sara Mosle, New York Times

Steven Brill is a graduate of Yale Law School and the founder of Court TV, and in his new book, “Class Warfare,” he brings a sharp legal mind to the world of education reform. Like a dogged prosecutor, he mounts a zealous case against America’s teachers’ unions.

**** Writers In Front Of The Camera <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/aug/19/michael-holroyd-author-author?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Michael Holroyd, The Guardian

In the beginning and at the end is the picture. I learnt this when writing a television script. My job was to look at a sequence of photographs and some silent amateur films and to provide what amounted to spoken captions, filling the time and telling a story. I enjoyed this strange exercise as I might have enjoyed solving a manufactured puzzle. But I didn't want to do it again.

**** You By Joanna Briscoe – Review <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/aug/19/you-joanna-briscoe-review?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Rachel Seiffert, The Guardian

But though the web may be tangled, Briscoe weaves compelling fiction. The prose is rich, the setting evocative: moors and mists, overgrown gardens merging into the rank tangle of fields and streams and woodland.

**** Alice By Judith Hermann – Review <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/aug/19/alice-judith-hermann-review?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Philip Hensher, The Guardian

Over the last 40 years, novelists have begun to explore ways in which the old formal bonds may be shed, too. The old formal constraints, in which all the characters somehow know each other and in which their motives lead to some kind of mutual solution have started to seem unnecessary.

**** Flamingo Watching <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/aug/19/kay-ryan-flamingo-watching-poem?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Kay Ryan, The Guardian

**** PE: Not Necessary For Offices Of PM And President To Be Separated: Tony Tan <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1147937/1/.html>
Saifulbahri Ismail, Channel NewsAsia

"Whether the President is sitting next to the prime minister or whether the prime minister is in an office halfway round our island, the substance is that the President must act in an independent way. I think that is the crucial point," said Dr Tony Tan.

**** Tan Jee Say Crosses Swords With Tony Tan Over ISA <http://thesatayclub.net/2011/08/tan-jee-say-crosses-swords-with-tony-tan-over-isa/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=tan-jee-say-crosses-swords-with-tony-tan-over-isa>
Alan Mok, The Satay Club

Presidential candidates Tan Jee Say and Tony Tan Keng Yam clashed over the issue of the controversial Internal Security Act (ISA) during a dialogue session held at the Fort Canning Centre yesterday in a sign that the Presidential Election is starting to take on an inevitable political slant.

**** Tony Tan’s Supporters Launched Vicious Smear Campaign Against Dr Tan Cheng Bock <http://www.temasekreview.com/2011/08/19/tony-tans-supporters-launched-vicious-smear-campaign-against-dr-tan-cheng-bock/>
The Temasek Review

A YPAP and Youth Executive Committee (YEC) member from Geylang told us that the PAP grassroots have been given clear instructions to support Tony Tan only.

**** Borders Closes Flagship Store At Wheelock Place <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1147976/1/.html>
Sharon See, Channel NewsAsia

Mr Reid that said to his knowledge, Borders does not have a history of late payment for its rent. However, Wheelock Properties was not willing to alter its position that the Borders store remain closed, despite the store's attempt to negotiate.

**** Hainanese Clan Association Invites Tan Jee Say To Tea <http://thesatayclub.net/2011/08/hainanese-clan-association-invites-tan-jee-say-to-tea/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=hainanese-clan-association-invites-tan-jee-say-to-tea>
Nigel Tan, The Satay Club

However, the clan association – which is the first one to express support for any candidate other than government-endorsed Dr Tony Tan – stopped short of officially endorsing Mr Tan Jee Say. The association’s spokesperson explained that its constitution does not allow it to “indulge in any political activity”, so its members are free to vote for the candidate of their choice.

**** Tan Kin Lian Points Out The 'Flaws' Of Rival Candidates <http://news.insing.com/tabloid/tan-kin-lian-points-out-the-flaws-of-rival-candidates/id-65803e00>
Lianhe Wanbao

Presidential candidate Tan Kin Lian spoke about the "flaws" of each of his rivals this morning.

See Also: Tan Kin Lian [http://tankinlian.blogspot.com/2011/06/presidential-election-dignified.html]: I do not wish to cast any candidate in a negative light...

**** Ridiculous Untruths? <http://feedmetothefish.blogspot.com/2011/08/ridiculous-untruths.html>
Feed Me To The Fish

We are sick and tired of being played by those in white. With you as president, it will be the same auld lang syne - same old, same old again. With facts (ridiculous truths?) I see above, we need someone who can really provide the real check and balance.

**** Disagreeing Does Not Mean That One Is Confrontational: Tan Jee Say <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110820-0000225/Disagreeing-does-not-mean-that-one-is-confrontational--Tan-Jee-Say>
Esther Ng, Today

He said: "If the government can convince the President that what they are doing is right, I don't see why the President should be so difficult."

Mr Tan also reiterated that people "should not be afraid of speaking up". "Disagreeing doesn't mean that one is confrontational," he said.

**** More Compensation For NSmen: Tan Kin Lian <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110820-0000203/More-compensation-for-NSmen--Tan-Kin-Lian>
Ong Dai Lin, Today

More should be done to compensate male citizens who serve National Service such as giving full-time National Servicemen (NSFs) higher allowances, said presidential candidate Tan Kin Lian yesterday.

**** Sunday's Curry Unity Targets Intolerance, Not Foreigners <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_703967.html>
Viswa Sadasivan, Straits Times

The parties vest a measure of authority on the mediator. With this power to influence comes the responsibility to ensure that any settlement, whether initiated by the parties or not, does not end up being unfair to one party. The parties must be able to live with the settlement without feeling cheated.

**** Was Patrick Tan’s Official Vocation In NS A Chief Clerk? <http://www.temasekreview.com/2011/08/19/expose-3-patrick-tans-real-vocation-is-a-chief-clerk/>
The Temasek Review

**** No Tan-tative Winner In Sight <http://thestar.com.my/columnists/story.asp?col=insightdownsouth&file=/2011/8/20/columnists/insightdownsouth/9328927&sec=Insight%20Down%20South>
Seah Chiang Nee, The Star

Next week’s vote will be crucial for the PAP.

It will show if Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong’s reforms to lessen public grouses – namely, the reduction of high cabinet pay and intake of foreign professionals, the provision of more public housing and varsity places – are working or not.

**** 三司:上诉庭不会要控方去找不知情资料 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp110820_022.shtml>
韩宝镇, 联合早报

以维克拉惹法官为首的三司昨天指出,他们是针对本案的情况而言,即控方确实是知道有这类资料。上诉庭并非要控方去找出和仔细查阅控方可能并不知情的资料,然后才来决定是否需要披露有关文件。

**** PE: Tan Jee Say To Lobby For Volunteerism & Ageing Population If Elected <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1148080/1/.html>
Qiuyi Tan, Channel NewsAsia

Volunteerism and the ageing population are issues that presidential candidate Tan Jee Say will lobby for, if he is elected.

**** Open Argument Over The ISA, Tony Tan And Tan Jee Say Goes Head To Head <http://blogging4myself.blogspot.com/2011/08/open-argument-over-isa-tony-tan-and-tan.html>
Blogging For Myself

All presidential candidates ought to have more confidence in the voters. Stop insulting our intelligence. Let the "wisdom of the crowd" work even if the process appear scary and unpredictable.

**** The Lion Has Fangs <http://singaporedesk.blogspot.com/2011/08/lion-has-fangs.html>
Singapore Notes

**** Tony Tan: ISA Is A Very Blunt Instrument <http://everythingalsocomplain.wordpress.com/2011/08/20/tony-tan-isa-is-a-very-blunt-instrument/>
Everything Also Complain

Though it’s reasonable that some breach of human rights should be necessary to deter would-be murderous extremists from blowing up this country, applying broad strokes on ordinary , outspoken citizens who have never fired a weapon in their life, instead of exercising restraint and thoughtful precision, is a case of setting fire to a house the moment the floor starts to creak.

**** Why 1987 ISA Detentions Still Relevant To 2011 Presidential Elections <http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2011/08/20/why-1987-isa-detentions-still-relevant-to-2011-presidential-elections/>
Au Waipang, Yawning Bread

Despite the specificity of the question asked at the forum, the issue is not just about the 1987 arrests or even detention without trial in general. What we see in their responses to this question is almost like a huge spotlight on how they would play the role of president. At least one, if not two, would stay on the side of the government when it comes to defending its record, which also means that he would probably be suspicious of any accusations that the current and future direction of government policy — whether on matters of security, economy or social policy — is wrong. It is the instinctive bias within him/them.

The other two live up better to their claims of being independent, in the sense that there is no instinctive bias. But it also means that with them in the Istana (the presidential palace), the risk of conflict with the current government is greater. Some voters might think that is a bad thing to be avoided. Others might think that is a good thing, part and parcel of freeing up Singapore’s political scene; these same people might say, how do we know what is the best policy possible unless there is open debate?

**** PE: Tan Kin Lian Suggests Pension For Elderly <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1148102/1/.html>
Evelyn Choo, Channel NewsAsia

Mr Tan said: "I'm in favour of a pension for elderly people, maybe beyond age 75 or 80. It doesn't cost much and this will help a long way.

"In Singapore, of course we depend on the CPF savings, but where the CPF savings are not enough, we have to give more help, especially to the elderly people who are poor (as) during their lifetime they were not able to save much."

**** Law Ministry Studying Possibility Of Licensing QCs: Shanmugam <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1148122/1/.html>
S Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia

Singapore's law ministry is studying the possibility of licensing three to five top Queen's Counsels (QCs) to work as independent practitioners and argue in court. This arrangement is to cater to the needs of mid-level law firms who are unable to get Singapore's Senior Counsels to take on cases for their clients.

**** Opposition Voices Growing In Singapore's 'New Normal' <http://www.irrawaddy.org/article.php?art_id=21923>
Simon Roughneen, The Irrawaddy

**** Chen Show Mao Barred From Attending 7th Month Event <http://newnation.sg/2011/08/chen-show-mao-barred-from-attending-7th-month-event-by-paya-labar-ccc/>
New Nation

Chen Show Mao, a Worker’s Party Member of Parliament for Aljunied GRC, was “disappointed” when he was told by organizers for a Seventh Month dinner that he could no longer attend the event, he said in a Facebook note.

The reason was apparently because the CCC would only approve the use of the venue if the MP was no longer invited. “Errant” organizers who disobey will be rejected for future events. ”The organizers were profusely apologetic,” said Show Mao.

**** The Online Citizen’s Very Revealing Presidential Forum <http://singaporeactually.com/2011/08/20/online-citizen-presidential-forum/>
Singapore Actually

**** Borders Bookstore Vouchers No Longer Valid <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1148133/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

The bookstore's judicial manager, Tim Reid, said the vouchers and gift cards cannot be used any longer. He told Channel NewsAsia that the store plans to put in a process on its website for people with such vouchers to register.

**** PE: Law Minister Emphasises Provisions In Constitution <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1148129/1/.html>
S Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia

Singapore's law minister K Shanmugam said Singapore would need to change the Constitution to allow the President to speak whenever he likes and on whatever topic he likes.

Mr Shanmugam said: "The rationale is very simple. You speak as a voice of the government, whichever government is in power and you represent the State. If you get engaged in politics as a combatant, the institution is demeaned. There are very powerful reasons for this approach."

**** PE: Candidates Should Not Promise What They Cannot Deliver: Tan Cheng Bock <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1148143/1/.html>
Wayne Chan, Channel NewsAsia

Singapore presidential candidate Dr Tan Cheng Bock said it is not within the duties of the president to come up with proposals like pension schemes which have been suggested by other candidates.

He said candidates should not promise things that cannot be delivered under the constitutional powers of the president or get involved in day-to-day politics.

**** Tan Jee Say: $500k Presidential Salary Is 'Plenty' <http://www.straitstimes.com/The-Big-Story/The-Big-Story-1/Story/STIStory_704203.html>
Tessa Wong, Straits Times

Presidential candidate Mr Tan Jee Say is promising to take a salary of $500,000 if elected, saying it is "plenty" and far more needed for a family to live on.

Asked if it was meant to counter Mr Tan Kin Lian's campaign promise to take half of the president's salary, which is currently about $4 million, Mr Tan Jee Say said: "No it's not undercutting. People ask me what is a good figure to live on so I think this is a good, it's a lot of money to live on."