[MyAppleMenu] Aug 19, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Aug 19 18:59:00 EDT 2011

**** Think Again: War <http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2011/08/15/think_again_war?page=full>
Joshua S. Goldstein, Foreign Policy

If the world feels like a more violent place than it actually is, that's because there's more information about wars -- not more wars themselves.

**** Dinner Theater, Starring The Kitchen <http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/18/theater/dinner-theater-performed-backstage-in-the-kitchen.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
Charles Isherwood, New York Times

But the spread of food mania has given rise to another kind of restaurant theater, the newly public drama of creating the meal itself.

**** Life After Death <http://www.walrusmagazine.com/print/2011.09-society-life-after-death/>
Michael Harris, The Walrus

Thirty years after HIV/AIDS was first identified — after it decimated gay communities across the country — a new generation comes of age in its long shadow.

**** PE: Tan Kin Lian On Idea Of Presidential Personal Council <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1147801/1/.html>
Hetty Musfirah, Channel NewsAsia

He said the council should consist of about 10 to 20 people and evaluate issues raised and offer possible solutions. The council can also enlist a bigger panel of experts from related fields to give their vote on workable ideas.

**** Presidential Election Is Above Party Politics: Tan Jee Say <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110819-0000278/Presidential-Election-is-above-party-politics--Tan-Jee-Say>
Quek Sue Wen Carolyn, Today

"They are in their 50s and 60s and just hanging around eating at hawker centres and having a cup of coffee and they could do some work but they don't have work and they put the blame on foreign workers," Mr Tan told reporters after his walkabout, which lasted for about one-and-a half hours.

**** Dr Tony Tan, Do You Know Why You Were Booed? <http://www.sgpolitics.net/?p=7053>
Ng E-Jay, Sgpolitics.net

In a nutshell, other candidates were cheered while you alone were booed because other candidates want Singaporeas to overcome their shackles and aspire to greater heights, but you alone want Singaporeans to be content with the status quo.

Singaporeans are no longer content to remain in shackles or to accept the status quo. They want change. You do not represent change. You represent an era of government oppression that held back change and incarcerated or even bankrupted those who campaigned for change.

**** Initial Findings Point To Human Failure At Depot <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110819-0000279/Initial-findings-point-to-human-failure-at-depot>
Joanne Chan, Today

In response, SMRT said preliminary findings showed human failure could have caused the recent security lapse at Bishan depot. The operator expressed regret and said security measures have been tightened. It will also intensify patrols at all depots, increase spot checks and ensure all security personnel are properly performing their duties.

**** Community Is A Pillar Of Our Society, Says Tony Tan <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110819-0000271/Community-is-a-pillar-of-our-society,-says-Tony-Tan>
Teo Xuanwei, Today

He said: "If I am elected President, this will be one of my priorities; to foster social harmony and community bonding."

**** Proposals, Promises As PE Broadcasts Begin <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110819-0000256/Proposals,-promises-as-PE-broadcasts-begin>
Leong Wee Keat, Today

**** Commuters, Be Mindful Of Your Rights <http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC110819-0000261/Commuters,-be-mindful-of-your-rights>
Hanafiah Ali, Today

But my colleague incurred a $1.52 fare, for a journey that costs less than $1. Other passengers may have paid more. If she were to claim from TransitLink, how would the validity of her case be verified?

**** President Isn't The Opposition <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_703674.html>
Bernard Ee Kuo-Wei, Straits Times

Political causes, no matter how noble they are, must be strictly pursued in the political realm. Otherwise, such causes renders the presidency useless.

**** Tan Jee Say: Wannabe Spender Of S$60bn <http://atans1.wordpress.com/2011/08/19/tan-jee-say-wannabe-spender-of-s60bn/>
Thoughts Of A Cynical Investor

**** Did They Boo Tony Tan? Or Someone Else? <http://politicalwritings.wordpress.com/2011/08/19/did-they-boo-tony-tan-or-someone-else/>
Political Writings

It’s not you who’s being booed. It’s who’s behind you, who supports you, who you were, what you did, what others did and how the system works that’s being booed.

**** Asia's Lonely Hearts <http://www.economist.com/node/21526350>
The Economist

A lot of Asians are not marrying later. They are not marrying at all.

**** 陈庆炎与陈氏总会渊源深厚 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/yl/yl110819_005.shtml>
陈志诚,新加坡陈氏总会, 联合早报

在国庆前夕提名日之前,庆炎宗长专程到访会所探访宗亲叙报参选意向,更向太始祖舜帝重华公顶礼三鞠躬,当时其他三位宗亲参选的意图并未明确。

庆炎宗长在第一时间的行动让同人深为感动,遂予以祝福支持。尚望贵报读者能于理解,则幸甚!

**** Tony Tan Is The Problem, Not The Solution - Part 2 <http://www.yoursdp.org/index.php/news/singapore/4937-tony-tan-is-the-problem-not-the-solution-part-2>
Singapore Democratic Party

Despite all these signals, Dr Tan and his colleagues at the GIC went ahead with the investments in these banks which, as stated, resulted in huge losses for Singaporeans and our CPF savings.

If Dr Tan missed the financial hurricane in 2008, despite all the thunder and lightning preceding it, how does he convince us now that he has the "background" and "knowledge" of the financial market to safely take us through the next storm?

**** Time To Set Up A Truth And Reconciliation Commission And Abolish The ISA <http://singaporerebel.blogspot.com/2011/08/time-to-set-up-truth-and-reconciliation.html>
Teo Soh Lung, Singapore Rebel

When Nelson Mandela was released after 27 years on Robben Island, he went on to become the President of South Africa. A Truth and Reconciliation Commission was set up to investigate the atrocities committed by the past government. Can we in Singapore ever expect such a Commission to be set up to investigate all ISA cases? Will I be able to see the repeal of the ISA during my lifetime?

**** Leave Curry Cookers Alone! <http://www.cnngo.com/singapore/life/charlene-fang-much-ado-about-curry-267551>
Charlene Fang, CNNGo

Xenophobia is an easy deterrent to wave around when there’s a possible deeper issue at hand. The perception (and interpretation by some) is that the government is unfairly favoring its new immigrants and treating its own as second-class citizens.

Touché? Perhaps, but going on some of the comments posted following the article in Today, the matter has enraged many.

**** Move Gov’t Operations Out Of Istana: Tan Cheng Bock <http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singaporescene/move-gov-t-operations-istana-tan-cheng-bock-173339050.html>
Ion Danker, Yahoo!

Dr Tan said that the separation between the President and government is critical to public confidence as the physical separation will further assure the people that the two institutions are independent of each other.

**** Presidency Not As Powerless As It Seems: Tan Jee Say <http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singaporescene/presidency-not-powerless-seems-tan-jee-001510267.html>
Kai Fong, Yahoo!

In addition to holding veto power in five key areas, "it is also a centre of moral power as well," said Mr Tan at his walkabout outreach in Chinatown on Thursday evening.

**** Singapore Vote Heats Up With Curry Campaign <http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-08-18/singapore-curry-protest-heats-up-vote.html>
Shamim Adam, Bloomberg

More than 2 million citizens in the former British colony will vote for a new president, providing an indirect test of support for Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong’s policies less than four months after his government returned to power with the smallest share of votes since independence in 1965.

**** 金融界任职表现欠佳? 陈如斯否认网上指责 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp110819_017.shtml>
杨漾, 联合早报

总统候选人陈如斯对网民针对他的负面指责加以否认,并挑战匿名网民以真实身份和他对质。

**** 四陈以新媒体争选票 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp110819_014.shtml>
何惜薇, 联合早报

与其依赖这次总统大选竞选期间唯一一场的群众大会,四名候选人都通过新媒体,把触角伸向广大的网民,铆足全力地争取每张选票。

除亮相昨晚的电视竞选广播外,“四陈”中有“三陈”特地录制了竞选演讲,把这些视频上载到面簿或博客网页。

**** Time To Take Another Look At Dual Citizenship <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/08/time-to-take-another-look-at-dual-citizenship/>
Ajax Copperwater, The Online Citizen

In this globalised world, it simply doesn’t make sense to ban dual citizenship. To use the excuse that national security might be compromised due to multiple allegiance, is also not justifiable because we have Permanent Residents who are citizens of another country serving NS.