[MyAppleMenu] Aug 18, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Aug 18 18:59:00 EDT 2011

**** Subtle Irritations In Lion <http://tidbits.com/article/12412?rss>
TidBITS

Our goal is to call out subtle aspects of Lion that feel as though they’re making us — and many other long-time Mac users — less productive on our Macs. Our hope is that Apple will revisit the discussions that resulted in these changes to Lion and reevaluate how they affect not just usability for new customers, but productivity for loyal Mac users who live and die by their Macs.

**** 62 Things You Can Do With Dropbox <http://www.macworld.com/article/161311/62_things_you_can_do_with_dropbox.html>
Macworld

Between our forums and email, we received nearly 250 suggestions. We sorted through them and then boiled them down to our 60 favorites.

**** How to Fax in Lion <http://tidbits.com/article/12431?rss>
Adam C. Engst, TidBITS

**** VisualHub Will Receive Official Lion Update <http://www.macworld.com/article/161799/2011/08/visualhub_will_receive_official_lion_update.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Dan Moren, Macworld

Kagi CEO Kee Nethery said that Techspansion would be producing its own free updater, which will be available to customers by mid-September.

**** Apple's Online Store Gets Social Links Amid Server Troubles <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/08/17/apples_online_store_gets_social_links_amid_server_troubles.html>
Josh Ong, AppleInsider

Apple added new share on Facebook and Twitter links to its online store amid server woes that caused intermittent downtime on Wednesday.

**** Apple Mac Mini Review: An Updated Box Of Tricks That Is Faster, Cheaper And More Tempting Than Before <http://www.pcauthority.com.au/Review/267252,apple-mac-mini-review-an-updated-box-of-tricks-that-is-faster-cheaper-and-more-tempting-than-before.aspx?>
Darien Graham-Smith, PC Authority

**** Apple, It’s Time To Block iOS 5 Beta Users From Reviewing Apps <http://techcrunch.com/2011/08/17/apple-ios-5-block-app-store-reviews/>
Greg Kumparak, TechCrunch

The message was simple: if you’re not a developer, but you’ve ignored the warning signs and finagled your way into the pre-release iOS 5 betas, you need to stop. Why? Because people are crushing developers with horribly unfair reviews, sinking their oh-so-important ratings because of bugs they couldn’t possibly have prepared for.

**** Evernote Acquires Skitch, Will Offer It Free <http://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/18/evernote-acquires-skitch-will-offer-it-free/>
Jordan Golson, MacRumors

Skitch is now free on the Mac App Store.

**** Automakers Test In-Car Brain Sensors <http://www.technologyreview.com/biomedicine/38366/?ref=rss>
Nic Fleming, Technology Review

Several leading carmakers are exploring whether sensors built into the driver's headrest can tell if he or she is too drowsy to drive safely, based on the pattern of electrical activity in the brain. Manufacturers are testing a system that sounds an alarm when the sensors pick up patterns associated with sleepiness.

**** Where Did Those Naked Ladies Come From? <http://www.slate.com/id/2301833/?from=rss>
Sam Kean, Slate

How the Chinese edition of my book about the periodic table got such a risqué cover.

**** What To Look For In Winter By Candia McWilliam - Review <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/aug/18/nicholas-lezard-candia-mcwilliam-review?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Nicholas Lezard, The Guardian

"Good writer" means more than just that, or evading the common traps of the genre: it means also having something worth saying.

**** Elected Presidency Turns Into Frankenstein… <http://singaporegirl.wordpress.com/2011/08/17/elected-presidency-turns/>
Food Fuels Me To Talk...

The Aug 27 election offers the perfect opportunity for Singaporeans who want to have more checks on the PAP, be adventurous with their votes or both. They could treat the presidential election like a by-election!

**** A Rare Contentious Election In Singapore <http://www.asiasentinel.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=3393&Itemid=181>
Garry Rodan, Asia Sentinel

In all likelihood, the PAP’s preferred candidate will prevail. Yet already this presidential campaign has produced a victory of sorts for the PAP’s opponents.

**** MOE, Unions Working On Re-hiring Guidelines <http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC110818-0000264/MOE,-unions-working-on-re-hiring-guidelines>
Lu Cheng Yang, Ministry Of Education, Edwin Lye, Singapore Teachers’ Union, Lian Hwee Eng, Singapore Chinese Teachers’ Union, Mohammad Thahirrudin, Singapore Malay Teachers’ Union, Samikannu Sithambaram, Singapore Indian Teachers’ Union, Straits Times

The unions and the MOE agree that re-employment should provide flexibility in terms of job arrangements and salary to meet the needs of our schools and retiring teachers.

In line with the tripartite guidelines, wage adjustments can be expected, taking into account reasonable factors such as job duties of re-employed teachers.

**** Look Elsewhere For Bus Solutions <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110818-0000244/Look-elsewhere-for-bus-solutions>
Richard Hartung, Today

There is a wealth of ideas and experience that transport regulators can tap into to improve bus transport. Beyond using existing source of information and organisations that have already worked on solutions, sourcing expertise or task force leadership globally and tapping into unconventional channels to generate ideas may well bring about greater results.

**** 政治观察家:选举或演变成大选“续集” <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp110818_004.shtml>
林慧慧, 联合早报

民选总统选战正式掀开序幕,尽管政府领导人一再强调希望候选人以庄严方式展开竞选,不过陈如斯阵营似乎有意打政党政治牌,一开始就阐明“要制衡政府”的立场,这让政治观察家关注,这场原本应超越政党政治的总统竞选会不会演变成5月全国大选的“续集”。

**** Tony Tan Is The Problem, Not The Solution - Part 1 <http://www.yoursdp.org/index.php/news/singapore/4924-tony-tan-is-the-problem-not-the-solution-part-1>
Singapore Democratic Party

Telling us that we cannot know what is being done with our money because to do so would threaten the integrity of our funds is completely disingenuous. If the Norwegian government can tell Norwegians what it is doing with their funds, we expect no less from our government.

Back to Tony Tan. Dr Tan was the vice-chairman of the GIC and was part of the setup that is keeping us at arms length from our money. It is a system that treats Singaporeans with contemptuous arrogance.

He now wants our votes to make him president so that he can safeguard our reserves. Does this sound even remotely sensible? A President Tony Tan would all but ensure that the GIC remains as secretive and unaccountable as it has always been.

**** Singapore Temasek Selling Stake In Shin Corp -IFR <http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/17/temasek-shincorp-idUSL3E7JH2NA20110817>
Shankar Ramakrishnan And Saeed Azhar, Reuters

**** I’m Not Championing Opposition’s Cause: Tan Jee Say <http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singaporescene/m-not-championing-opposition-cause-tan-jee-180517327.html>
Kai Fong, Yahoo!

Presidential candidate Tan Jee Say said on Wednesday he wants to represent all Singaporeans, not only those opposed to the government.

The primary role of the Elected President is to act as a check on a possible rogue government, he said.

**** No Such Vocation Such As ‘Defence Medical Scientist’ In SAF <http://www.temasekreview.com/2011/08/18/exposed-1-no-such-vocation-as-defence-medical-scientist-in-saf/>
The Temasek Review

**** The Curry Dispute Happened Over Six To Seven Years Ago <http://blog.dk.sg/2011/08/18/the-curry-dispute-happened-over-six-to-seven-years-ago/>
Dee Kay Dot As Gee

And here’s the weirdest thing. According to the TODAYonline article, there were 498 cases handled by CMC last year. And more than 300 cases a year since 2008. So when TODAYonline asked CMC to cite a few cases for their news article, CMC choose a case that happened 6 to 7 years ago. You mean out of that 498 cases last year, there isn’t any special case worth mentioning?

**** Much A-boo About Nothing? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/08/much-a-boo-about-nothing/>
Joshua Chiang, The Online Citizen

Regardless of opinions, one thing’s for sure. It doesn’t matter how loud are the ‘boos’. The only voice that truly counts at the end of the day is the voice of the vote.

**** The Curry Thickens <http://atans1.wordpress.com/2011/08/18/the-curry-thickens/>
Thoughts Of A Cynical Investor

But the law minister and his ministry still don’t get it.

What upsets and annoys the respectable netizens of cowtowns is that CMC raised the issue with the local family. It should have told the FT family, “S’pore is a multi-racial, multi-cultural society. Preparing and eating curry is part of everyday S’pore life. As guests here, if you can’t stand the smell, pls find another apartment.”

**** Can Singapore Wean Itself Off Cheap Foreign Labour? <http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singaporescene/singapore-wean-itself-off-cheap-foreign-labour-011454837.html>
Elena Torrijos, Yahoo!

Singapore has room to wean itself away from reliance on cheap foreign labour in construction and other industries, top local businessman and hotel magnate Ho Kwon Ping said in an interview on Tuesday.

**** Asia's Wealthy Park Cash In Cars, Homes, Art And Wine <http://in.reuters.com/article/2011/08/17/us-asia-wealth-idINTRE77G3BZ20110817>
Raju Gopalakrishnan, Reuters

Demand is booming in Asia for luxury cars, upmarket properties, art and jewelry, driven by a seismic shift in wealth from West to East.

**** PE S'poreans To Start Receiving Poll Cards For PE <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1147674/1/.html>
Sharon Tong, Channel NewsAsia

Voters should receive their poll cards within three days of Nomination Day, which was on August 17. Those who do not receive their poll cards in the mail for any reason can now print it out for themselves.

Measures have also been put in place to ensure that the votes of the blind will be kept secret. A stencil with cut-out boxes will help them mark the ballot paper on their own.

**** An Unwritten Expectation Of Political Allegiance? <http://yeejj.wordpress.com/2011/08/18/ntuc/>
Yee Jenn Jong

Now we hear from a former senior member of a key NTUC social enterprise that he had to be a PAP party member because he worked for an NTUC organisation. I am not privy to the internal functioning of NTUC as to whether this is a verbal instruction or an unwritten expectation for senior members to strongly comply with. The sprawling NTUC Group resembles a business conglomerate. I would expect people working in and running its operations should be selected for their business and work abilities rather than for their political affiliation.

**** Help! My Neighbour Keeps Pythons <http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2011/08/18/help-my-neighbour-keeps-pythons/>
Au Waipang, Yawning Bread

**** Let Us Have Women-only Train Carriages <http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC110818-0001116/Let-us-have-women-only-train-carriages>
Tan Saw Bin, Today

I urge the authorities to emulate Tokyo's rail system of designating some MRT cabins for ladies only, as the increasingly crowded trains make it hard to avoid physical contact among passengers.