[MyAppleMenu] Aug 21, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Aug 21 18:59:00 EDT 2011

**** iPad Stands Take Center Stage <http://www.pcmag.com/slideshow/story/286525/ipad-stands-take-center-stage>
Chandra Steele, PC Magazine

Due to their much-lauded portability, iPads pack a busy schedule and constantly travel. But because of their fragility, they need a safe place to land. Cue the iPad stand.

**** These Rioters Are Not ‘Thatcher’s Offspring’ <http://www.spiked-online.com/index.php/site/article/10989/>
Brendan O’Neill, Spiked

Is there anything bad in the world that ‘neoliberalism’ is not responsible for?

**** The Presidential Race Heats Up: TOC’s Panel Discussion Part 1 <http://chemgen.wordpress.com/2011/08/21/the-presidential-race-heats-up-tocs-panel-discussion-part-1/>
Chemical Generation Singapore

The political polar opposite of Tony Tan, and obviously the SDP man still. It is especially ironic because of his accusations that Tan Cheng Bock and Tony Tan are still PAP. He is unstately and unpresidential to have lost his cool after Tony Tan interrupted him. This was his moment to show that he can handle himself if not his supporters at nomination day and he lost that chance.

**** Tan Jee Say And Tony Tan Exchange On ISA... <http://singaporemind.blogspot.com/2011/08/tan-jee-say-and-tony-tan-exchange-on.html>
Diary Of A Singapore Mind

If you want a president who stands for justice and fairness, you really have to really have to ask yourself whether you can find it in someone who supports and justifies the draconian ISA. No other developed county has it or need such a legislation to ensure peace and security for its people. It was Tony Tan's opportunity to show his independence and he blew it.

**** TKL: Gone Over To The Dark Side? <http://atans1.wordpress.com/2011/08/21/tkl-gone-over-to-the-dark-side/>
Thoughts Of A Cynical Investor

**** Singapore Trip Gone Wrong <http://www.rochellesychua.com/2011/08/singapore-trip-gone-wrong.html>
Rochelle Sy Chua, HeaRty's Haven

All those changed when I arrived at Changi Airport last thursday night. It was my first time in Singapore and I was so happy when we arrived. I was like a kid jumping up and down. I even checked in via foursquare and was raving about my arrival in the country. I never thought that I’d be put into a bad situation then.

**** 上梁太正 下梁依然歪 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/yl/yl110821_007.shtml>
杨君伟, 联合早报

总理在国庆群众大会上说,希望国民多体恤公务员,表现宽容关怀的态度。我身边一些朋友却认为:只有维护,没有责备,并不是最好的管理方式。

**** ‘Voters’ Expectations Could Shape President’s Role’ <http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singaporescene/voters-expectations-could-shape-president-role-173931252.html>
Alicia Wong, Yahoo!

The Constitution explicitly states the President's powers, but circumstances such as people's expectations and the President's political acuity will go some way in charting new pathways for the highest office in Singapore, said two commentators.

Speaking on the Elected President's mandate at a forum organised by local human rights body Maruah on Saturday, constitutional law expert Kevin Tan and civil society activist Alex Au highlighted "grey areas" surrounding the Presidency to show that the role is not straightforward.

**** Abetting Species Extinction And Animal Suffering: Guilty <http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2011/08/21/abetting-species-extinction-and-animal-suffering-guilty/>
Au Waipang, Yawning Bread

**** PE: President Has Moral Power, Says Tan Jee Say <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1148234/1/.html>
Joanne Chan, Channel NewsAsia

Presidential candidate Tan Jee Say believes that Singapore's Head of State has the moral power to persuade people, even though he is not the centre of executive power.

**** Chen Show Mao Disinvited To Dinner <http://everythingalsocomplain.wordpress.com/2011/08/21/chen-show-mao-disinvited-to-dinner/>
Everything Also Complain

**** Your President <http://singaporelifetimes.blogspot.com/2011/08/your-president.html>
Singapore Life And Times

I'll be up front about this. The Singapore Presidential Election has been blown way out of proportion to its significance and its purpose.

**** ‘S’poreans And Foreigners Need To Learn To Co-exist’ <http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singaporescene/poreans-foreigners-learn-co-exist-075711521.html>
Faris Mokhtar, Yahoo!

Presidential candidate Dr Tony Tan on Sunday stressed the importance of both locals and non-Singaporeans learning to co-exist in social harmony.

This came after he was asked to comment on the "curry issue" which has generated heated debate online and even had law minister K. Shanmugam jumping in to provide clarifications.

**** Kin Lian: I Will Use Veto On Reserves To Influence Govt Policies <http://www.straitstimes.com/The-Big-Story/The-Big-Story-1/Story/STIStory_704453.html>
Elgin Toh, Straits Times

Presidential candidate Tan Kin Lian has promised to use the presidential veto on reserves to influence the government's economic and social policies, if he is elected.

He said on Sunday that if the government comes to him with a proposal to spend past reserves, he would ask for certain measures that benefitted larger groups of Singaporeans to be put in place before he approves it.

**** PE: Conscious Efforts Needed To Integrate New Citizens, Says Tan Cheng Bock <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1148270/1/.html>
Wayne Chan, Channel NewsAsia

**** Singapore Too Small To Afford Political Paralysis: PM Lee <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1148283/1/.html>
S Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia

"We must make sure that we keep on getting our economics right, our policies right and our politics right," he said. "And we must have harmonious political system where we make important decisions in the best interests of Singapore and Singaporeans, and keep ourselves safe in this uncertain environment."

He added: "We are too small to be able to afford impasse and gridlock, to have two sides blocking one another so you can't move, you can't solve problems, you can't go ahead. We have to work together. The government is doing our part, we need voters, we need every citizen to do their part."

**** Singaporeans' Culinary Anti-immigration Protest: Curry <http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/21/us-singapore-curry-idUSTRE77K0TB20110821>
Harry Suhartono, Reuters

Tens of thousands of people in the Southeast Asian city-state said they would cook or eat curry on Sunday in a protest highlighting growing anger over increased immigration.

The influx of immigrants is a sensitive subject in Singapore, where only about two-thirds of the people are citizens. Many Singaporeans say the city-state's relatively easy immigration policies are attracting too many foreigners, making it more difficult to find jobs and pushing up prices of homes.

**** Saddens Me That Chen Show Mao Was Barred From Event <http://singaporeactually.com/2011/08/21/saddens-me-that-mp-chen-show-mao-was-barred-from-event/>
Singapore Actually

And here I thought the People’s Association was supposed to be impartial and for the good of all citizens no matter what their political affiliation.

**** The Elected Presidency: More Of The Same Or A Whole New Game? <http://catherinelim.sg/2011/08/21/the-elected-presidency-more-of-the-same-or-a-whole-new-game/>
Catherine Lim

The increasingly bolder anti-PAP camp, whose vociferousness and hence very palpable presence makes them a more effective force for change than the silent majority, is a new species of political animal that was created by the shock events of GE 2011.