[MyAppleMenu] Aug 15, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Aug 15 18:59:00 EDT 2011

**** Apple OKs Cinemax App, Despite Anti-porn Policy <http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-20092258-37/apple-oks-cinemax-app-despite-anti-porn-policy/?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=News-Apple>
Steven Musil, CNET

**** HootSuite Review <http://www.macworld.co.uk/macsoftware/reviews/index.cfm?reviewid=3296851&olo=rss>
Karl Hodge, Macworld UK

Tools for managing social media don’t come easier to use or more comprehensive.

**** How To Learn To Use Gestures In Lion <http://www.macworld.com/article/161289/2011/08/learn_gestures_lion.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Dan Miller, Macworld

But if Lion is any measure, gestures are becoming an important part of OS X; someday, they might replace the mouse entirely. So Lion's launch is a perfect opportunity to make the switch—or, at minimum, to become conversant in this interactive language. And even if swiping and tapping on a trackpad is already familiar to you, you’ll still need to adjust to Lion’s new vocabulary. Here are some tips for doing both.

**** Is Your Printer Compatible With Lion? <http://www.macworld.com/article/161696/2011/08/how_to_find_out_if_your_printer_is_compatible_with_lion.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Marco Tabini, Macworld

**** Motorola Litigation Against Apple Will Continue, Despite Google Deal <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/08/15/motorola_litigation_against_apple_will_continue_despite_google_deal.html>
Neil Hughes, AppleInsider

Google's acquisition of Motorola Mobility will not affect Motorola's patent-related lawsuits against Apple, as the search company revealed on Monday it has no plans to rescind those legal complaints.

**** Lion Security: Building On The iOS Foundation <http://tidbits.com/article/12417?rss>
Rich Mogull, TidBITS

In the end, Lion is significantly more secure than Snow Leopard even without the Mac App Store ecosystem. Combine the two, and we can see a future where we have security options never before available to consumers, and, more important, where security is an integral part of the overall ecosystem such that even those who know nothing about security are well protected.

**** The Elusive Big Idea <http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/14/opinion/sunday/the-elusive-big-idea.html?_r=2&pagewanted=all>
Neal Gabler, New York Times

If our ideas seem smaller nowadays, it’s not because we are dumber than our forebears but because we just don’t care as much about ideas as they did.

**** Sex On A Plate: In Paris, Food And Seduction Are One And The Same <http://www.telegraph.co.uk/expat/expatlife/8697603/Sex-on-a-plate-in-Paris-food-and-seduction-are-one-and-the-same.html>
Elizabeth Bard, The Telegraph

Of all the things living and cooking in France have taught me, it is this spirit of improvisation that continues to surprise – and liberate me.

**** Prime Minister Broad-strokes Digital Media As Unreliable <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/08/prime-minister-broadstrokes-digital-media-as-unreliable/>
Ravi Philemon, The Online Citizen

Although he recognised in his speech that not all new media platforms are “cowboy towns” and promised to engage from diverse platforms which put forth more cogent discussions for debate, it’s quite unfortunate that in his National Day Rally speech, the prime minister chose to sow distrust among Singaporeans.

**** How Dare You, Penny? (Part 2) <http://feedmetothefish.blogspot.com/2011/08/how-dare-you-penny-part-2.html>
Feed Me To The Fish

Why can't she come up with, "It was stupid of me to do what I did. I screwed up. I'm sorry I have offended Singaporeans especially residents of Punggol/Pasir Ris GRC who voted for me. I beg for your pardon." instead of, "If in my enthusiasm I offended anyone, please accept my apologies. NDP is a time to unite not divide. Majulah Singapura." to her supposed remorse.

**** Of Cowboy Towns And Engagement <http://andrewlohhp.wordpress.com/2011/08/14/of-cowboy-towns-and-engagement/>
Andrew Loh

And we know that at some point, we have to leave the screaming and shouting, and sit down to discuss things in a cool-headed manner.

**** Politics Without Vitality And Drive? <http://mollymeek.wordpress.com/2011/08/14/345/>
Molitics

**** PM Lee’s Speech: Cowboy Towns And The Little Joke Nobody Caught <http://www.sgpolitics.net/?p=7032>
Ng E-Jay, Sgpolitics.net

In other words, PM Lee has tacitly admitted that the people have grown cynical towards the government — in fact, so cynical that if the government tries to clarify something, people may assume that there is no smoke without fire.

**** Qualifying Age For Primary Care Partnership Scheme Lowered To 40 <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110815-0000206/Qualifying-age-for-Primary-Care-Partnership-Scheme-lowered-to-40>
Tan Weizhen, Today

Under the PCPS, needy elderly patients and those on the public assistance scheme can receive subsidised outpatient care through their neighbourhood GPs or dental clinics. There are currently about 32,100 PCPS card holders.

**** No Pledge To Donate Pay Because… <http://trulysingapore.wordpress.com/2011/08/14/no-pledge-to-donate-pay-because/>
Yours Truly Singapore

Dr Tan feels that promising to take a pay cut in return for our votes is a form of vote buying. What monetary benefit would voters get in return for Dr Tan donating his pay to charity? If there can be no monetary benefits to be derived from such a promise, how can it be a form of vote buying? A promise to donate pay is very different from a promise for HDB upgrading. In the former case, voters derive no tangible benefits whatsoever. In the latter case, the tangible benefits are clear and unambiguous.

**** Malays Share Singapore's Progress, Says Lee <http://www.bernama.com.my/bernama/v5/newsindex.php?id=608079>
Tengku Noor Shamsiah Tengku Abdullah, Bernama

Singapore prime minister Lee Hsien Loong said today that the Malays have shared in the nation's progress and the government will continue to open up opportunities for them to serve the island state.

**** Singapore Tightens Controls On Foreign Workers <http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5gG9cWlZ4fRb-m0Yd9v16iWAFdKMg?docId=CNG.787930529cb0f756929e6bf9bf0e5d8e.951>
AFP

Foreign professionals will face tougher rules on working in Singapore, prime minister Lee Hsien Loong said Sunday as part of moves to allay public anger that saw his party suffer in May elections.

Pledging to put Singaporeans "first", Lee said the government will tighten requirements for hiring foreign professionals and skilled workers who compete directly with local mid-level managers and executives.

**** National Day Rally Speech <http://blogging4myself.blogspot.com/2011/08/national-day-rally-speech.html>
Blogging For Myself

Government must not just do less but also responsibly cede power to the better informed and creative civic groups who can perform specific tasks better.

**** The Green Corridor Has The PM’s Support! <http://thelongnwindingroad.wordpress.com/2011/08/15/the-green-corridor-has-the-pms-support/>
The Long And Winding Road

In his speech during the National Day Rally, Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong made what appears to be an endorsement of the efforts of the Ministry of National Development (MND) and the Urban redevelopment Authority (URA) in engaging various interest groups and the public on the use of the former KTM rail corridor, and also for the idea to develop a green corridor through the land.

**** Presidential Election: Tweak System To Ensure 50% Majority <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_702198.html>
Clinton Lim, Straits Times

Future presidential elections could be decided over two or more selection rounds, depending on the number of those contesting.

**** Does Having Two MRT Operators Make A Difference? <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/OnlineStory/STIStory_702127.html>
Cheah Soon Heng, Straits Times

It appears that having two operators actually adds cost to the public transport system, because of duplication of overheads, and there is no real competition.

**** Nationalising Public Transport Not The Way To Go <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/OnlineStory/STIStory_702125.html>
Pieter Kok, Straits Times

The reasons given by SMRT are not compelling.

**** Let Buses Compete With Trains For Passengers <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/OnlineStory/STIStory_702124.html>
Paul Chan, Straits Times

We must turn the tables on transport operators and get them to woo commuters for profit by offering quality services with comfortable rides and timely arrivals. To achieve that, we could try to use a hybrid commuter-centric alternative where the bus system would be operated by SBS Transit, even while injecting more bus operators to compete, and the entire MRT train system would be left to SMRT to run.

**** National Day Rally Speech By PM Lee <http://tankinlian.blogspot.com/2011/08/national-day-rally-speech-by-pm-lee.html>
Tan Kin Lian

We need a new approach towards listening and using these inputs. I hope that PM Lee will address the root cause of the challenges faced by his civil servants and ministers in working in the new environment.

**** 真诚的道歉 应避免政治语言 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/yl/yl110815_010.shtml>
王睦辉, 联合早报

后一句话,似乎在影射批评她的国人带有政治立场,企图借她的失礼行为来分化民众、抹煞了国人要求人民代表树立优良典范的单纯愿望。这是非常不智的做法,不但让她的道歉行为显得缺乏诚意,更因为这种带有攻击性的用语,使得道歉应有的谦卑态度荡然无存。

因此我建议刘议员重新、认真、谦卑地再为自己的失礼,向全体国人好好地道歉一次。

**** Now NTUC Wants Singaporeans First <http://www.yoursdp.org/index.php/news/singapore/4932-now-ntuc-wants-singaporeans-first>
Singapore Democratic Party

**** Obsessive-compulsive Behaviour (Again) In Presidential Contest <http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2011/08/15/obsessive-compulsive-behaviour-again-in-presidential-contest/>
Au Waipang, Yawning Bread

The presidential election may be entirely different, since all voters will have the same choice of all candidates. The “narrow local choice” factor would not apply. The big question then is whether those who tend to be Swing in temperament are impressed enough with Tan Cheng Bock, Tan Kin Lian or Tan Jee Say to throw their lot in with one of them?

**** 陈如斯:处理经济问题 我念的是经济 不是数学 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp110815_030.shtml>
杨永欣 游润恬, 联合早报

总统候选人陈如斯自认有引领国家应对未来经济挑战的能力。他强调:“我熟谙经济理论,经济理论基础很强。我也有经济规划的实际经验,我在贸工部时参与很多经济规划的工作,陈庆炎当时是我的部长。我在贸工部也做了六年的经济人口规划工作。”

**** 陈如斯接受专访:我是唯一代表独立的声音 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp110815_029.shtml>
郑景祥, 联合早报

**** Sleeping Parliament <http://singaporelifetimes.blogspot.com/2011/08/sleeping-parliament.html>
Singapore Life And Times

**** Where's The Beef, Mr Prime Minister? <http://singaporedesk.blogspot.com/2011/08/wheres-beef-mr-prime-minister.html>
Singapore Notes

While reiterating a "Singaporean First " approach, he conveniently avoided mention of a President Scholarship recently awarded to a dual citizenship holder. Meanwhile Singaporean males are deemed flight risks, and have to post a hefty bond before heading for Changi airport.

**** More Help For Singles Buying Resale Flats <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110815-0000476/More-help-for-singles-buying-resale-flats>
Today

**** We Say…you Say <http://speakspokewritewrote.wordpress.com/2011/08/15/we-say-you-say/>
SpeakSpokeWriteWrote

**** 移民:新加坡Edb已出现拒签 港澳需第三国身份 <http://finance.ifeng.com/money/wealth/millionaire/20110815/4392249.shtml>
宋韵芸, 理财周报

**** PE: Tony Tan Fears Some Candidates Writing Cheques President Cannot Cash <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1147090/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

Dr Tan also expressed concerns that some politicians may feel compelled to appeal to popular demand for the sake of electoral gain.

This temptation, said Dr Tan, is affecting the Presidential Election with some candidates appealing to the public in ways that could go beyond the parameters of Singapore's Constitution.

**** PM's National Day Rally Calls For More Rational Online Spaces <http://journalism.sg/2011/08/15/pms-national-day-rally-calls-for-more-rational-online-spaces/>
Cherian George, Journalism.sg

But even if they build them, will government sympathisers and spokesmen come? One thing that will have to change is the PAP’s politics of intolerance, which has contributed to the polarisation of debate in Singapore. Its “with-us-or-against-us” philosophy has compelled establishment types to stay clear of plural spaces. (The classic illustration was the PAP’s refusal to take part in The Online Citizen’s multi-party forum before the general election.)

**** Lost In One’s Own Country <http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2011/8/15/focus/9300537&sec=focus>
Philip Golingai, The Star

“I am like most Singaporeans. We sit at home and we complain. We agree that there are good things about Singapore, but at the same time we are quite quick to point out where the gaps are. In my case, I just say it louder than most people.”

**** Penny Low Looking Down At Her Mobile In Replay Of National Day Parade: Censored? <http://www.mrbrown.com/blog/2011/08/penny-low-looking-down-at-her-mobile-in-replay-of-national-day-parade-censored.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+mrbrown+%28mrbrown%29>
mrbrown

It looks like it was edited out of the repeat telecast of the NDP.

**** PE: Advisory For Supporters, Public On Nomination Day <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1147152/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

Supporters and members of the public are advised to arrive at the Nomination Centre only after 10am on August 17, when the Nomination Centre is opened to the public.

**** PE: Guidelines On Election Meetings, Vehicle Processions <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1147157/1/.html>
Imelda Saad, Channel NewsAsia

**** More Taxing For Charities? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/08/more-taxing-for-charities/>
Leong Sze Hian, The Online Citizen

Whilst the 2.5 times tax deduction for donations to charities that have Institution of Public Character (IPC) status encourage individuals and corporations to donate to charities, reducing or waiving taxation on charities may encourage more people to set up and run charities.

**** Train Frequency At Jurong MRT Station Needs Improvement <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1147173/1/.html>
Liang Kaixin / Alvina Soh, Channel NewsAsia

SMRT said the longer intervals for east-bound trains arise when trains on the North-South line approach Jurong East Station and east-bound trains have to give way.

It added there are system limitations, and trains are already running at their maximum capacities during morning peak hours.

**** Patching Up Holes As We Go Along <http://andrewlohhp.wordpress.com/2011/08/15/patching-up-holes-as-we-go-along/>
Andrew Loh

While the PM has usurped the “Singaporeans First” mantra from the opposition and activists, he has not introduced anything substantial, save for adding a few more places in the schools and giving a little more grants and subsidies for housing and healthcare. Drib and drab, as and when the calls are loud enough.

To put it another way, the government no longer seem able to anticipate problems and preempt them (a boast which it has always made in the past, thus justifying the astronomical salaries it pays its ministers) but instead is playing catch-up to reality.

**** Refuse Collects Here, But Visitors And Wildlife Can Breathe Free <http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/16/science/16landfill.html?_r=1&partner=rssnyt&emc=rss>
Lindsey Hoshaw, New York Times

Semakau Landfill is the only active landfill that receives incinerated and industrial waste while supporting a thriving ecosystem, which includes more than 700 types of plants and animals and several endangered species. “Even though we operate a landfill, biodiversity is still thriving,” said Ong Chong Peng, Semakau Landfill’s general manager. “We want to keep this balance as long as possible.”

**** Tan Jee Say: I Did Not Suggest Closing Down Factories <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/08/tan-jee-say-i-did-not-suggest-closing-down-factories/>
Shawn Danker And Joshua Chiang, The Online Citizen

When asked whether low-skilled workers would be affected, Mr Tan noted that there are also low skill workers in non-manufacturing sectors as well, for example in the business sectors, and the service sector will grow if they are promoted.

“Manufacturing will be a less significant part of the economy but they’ll still be around.” he added.