[MyAppleMenu] Aug 14, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Aug 14 18:59:00 EDT 2011

**** Next To Go... <http://www.macworld.com/article/161707/2011/08/next_to_go.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Andy Ihnatko, Macworld

I look at my MacBook Pro and I wonder what other hardware features Apple could delete from it in the coming years.

**** America: The View From 2,500 Feet <http://www.theatlantic.com/national/archive/2011/08/america-the-view-from-2-500-feet/243451/>
Deborah Fallows, The Atlantic

The beauty of America is astonishing from the air, and always makes me think the Chinese were right when they named America Meiguo, which literally means "beautiful country."

**** Happiness And Governance <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/08/41597/>
Joshua Chiang, The Online Citizen

**** 当“PAP”成为包袱…… <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/yl/yl110814_005.shtml>
韩咏梅, 联合早报

把新加坡从第三世界带到第一世界的人民行动党,以及它建立起来的一套制度,曾经是我们的骄傲,它现在突然变成“票房毒药”,这种两极化的转变一直很值得深思。

**** Imagine Nation <http://thestar.com.my/lifestyle/story.asp?file=/2011/8/14/lifearts/9246913&sec=lifearts>
Deepika Shetty, Straits Times

The 19 Singaporean artists featured reflect on ties with their closest geographical neighbour in gallerist Valentine Willie’s annual Singapore Survey and their works make for compelling viewing.

**** Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong Should Apologise To Dr Ang Swee Chai <http://singaporerebel.blogspot.com/2011/08/prime-minister-lee-hsien-loong-should.html>
Teo Soh Lung, Singapore Rebel

**** Defying The Odds To Become Success Story <http://trulysingapore.wordpress.com/2011/08/14/defying-the-odds-to-become-success-story/>
Yours Truly Singapore

Singapore may be punching above its weight. So too are Hong Kong, Taiwan, Switzerland, Sweden, Finland, the Netherlands and Denmark. Before we show pride in our punch, let us first show pride in being a society we claim to be, one that is based on justice and equality.

**** National Heart Centre’s Action In Rachelle Ann Beguia’s Case Is Flawed <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/08/nhc-action-in-rachelle-ann-beguias-case-flawed/>
Ghui, The Online Citizen

However ill advised and foolish Ms Beguia’s comments were, she made them in her private capacity and it is not for her employers to take her to task. She has not bad mouthed her employers in any way and so it would be sufficient for the NHC to simply disassociate itself from her statements by stating that they were made in her private capacity and that NHC did not agree with her comments.

**** Citizens' CPF Money "Safe", Says MOF <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1146952/1/.html>
Rachel Kelly, Channel NewsAsia

The ministry said CPF monies are safe, because the government is in a strong reserve position with assets exceeding liabilities.

**** Cook A Pot Of Curry Day (& Chen Show Mao Eating Prata With Curry) <http://singaporeactually.com/2011/08/14/cook-a-pot-of-curry-day-chen-show-mao-eating-curry/>
Singapore Actually

**** PM Lee Hopes Govt & People Can Strengthen Relationship <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1146978/1/.html>
Sharon See, Channel NewsAsia

At his National Day Rally speech delivered on Sunday evening, Mr Lee said the government will do its best to find solutions for various problems, but he hopes Singaporeans can be more proactive too.

As the society matures, he said the government should not take charge of everything, citing the example of culling cats and saving dogs.

**** Challenging The Out-of-Bounds Markers For An Elected President <http://catherinelim.sg/2011/08/14/challenging-the-out-of-bounds-markers-for-an-elected-president/>
Catherine Lim

In short, the differences are so vast that beyond the vague general agreement that the president must uphold the integrity of the highest office in the land, there is no common meeting ground. Every discussion on the EP is hence an impasse from the start.

**** Qualifying Income Ceilings For Public Housing Raised <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1146987/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

The qualifying income ceilings of households for BTO flats will be increased from the current S$8,000 to S$10,000, and for ECs from the current S$10,000 to S$12,000.

**** More Places For Singaporeans In Local Universities <http://www.todayonline.com/Singapore/EDC110814-0000808/More-places-for-Singaporeans-in-local-universities>
Lin Yanqin, Today

**** KPI For The Government <http://www.myapplemenu.com/singapore/2011/08/14/IM135932109/>
Heng-Cheong Leong, MyAppleMenu

If PM Lee really wants more pro-active Singaporeans, this should be the KPI for the PAP government: reduce the number of laws by x percent every single year over the previous year. (I propose x = 10.)