[MyAppleMenu] Aug 13, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Aug 13 18:59:00 EDT 2011

**** Serendipitous Extras Make Mac Lion A Cool Cat <http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/businesstechnology/2015876526_ptmacc13.html?syndication=rss>
Jeff Carlson, Seattle Times

A major operating-system release is filled with all sorts of changes beyond the handful of features a company advertises to catch your interest. In the case of Mac OS X Lion, I keep running into little surprising details.

**** Apple's Unibody Advantage <http://thesmallwave.com/apples-unibody-advantage>
The Small Wave

The cost for Apple to implement this new method may have been enormous (Apple spoke of a product transition coming that quarter leading to lower margins), but look at the dividends it's paying now. It isn't just the reduction in parts, but the corresponding reduction in supplier deals, manufacturing costs, and failures and rejects. Then there's the increased quality that comes with a single, solid part.

**** Our Plugged-in Summer <http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/14/fashion/this-life-a-plugged-in-summer.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
Bruce Feiler, New York Times

During weekends this summer, I would pursue the opposite of an unplugged vacation: I would check screens whenever I could. Not in the service of work, but in the service of play. I would crowd-source new ideas for car games and YouTube my picnic recipes. I would test the prevailing wisdom that the Internet spoils all the fun. With back-to-school fast approaching, here’s my report.

**** Late Show <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/aug/12/saturday-poem-john-burnside?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
John Burnside, The Guardian

**** Fire And Rain By David Browne - Review <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/aug/12/fire-and-rain-david-browne-review?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Richard Williams, The Guardian

Fire and Rain examines the music of the period, specifically of the year 1970, and even more specifically of three groups and one solo singer: the Beatles, Simon and Garfunkel, Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young, and James Taylor.

**** Eating A Bagel, Humming Rihanna <http://www.slate.com/id/2301417/?from=rss>
Troy Patterson, Slate

Every Friday in the summer in the middle of Manhattan, many thousands of tourists wake before dawn, whoosh down to their hotel lobbies, and walk--perhaps at their usual speed, which is easily surpassed by a 7-month-old child cruising down a coffee table--to go see live music outside. NBC's Today, with sponsor Toyota, hosts acts in Rockefeller Plaza; ABC's Good Morning America sets a lot of Burger King logos bubbling around a venue in Central Park; CBS's Early Show is watched by no one, so we will never know if, like the other two shows, it offers concert performances giving off odd pops of glossy Americana, percolating desire with the coffee at 8:30 in the morning.

**** Romantic Mischief In 1930s Manhattan <http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/14/books/review/rules-of-civility-by-amor-towles-book-review.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
Liesl Schillinger, New York Times

The saying “May you live in interesting times” has undeniable resonance for the investment executive-turned-­novelist Amor Towles.

**** Explaining It All: How We Became The Center Of The Universe <http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/14/books/review/the-beginning-of-infinity-by-david-deutsch-book-review.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
David Albert, New York Times

David Deutsch’s “Beginning of Infinity” is a brilliant and exhilarating and profoundly eccentric book. It’s about everything: art, science, philosophy, history, politics, evil, death, the future, infinity, bugs, thumbs, what have you. And the business of giving it anything like the attention it deserves, in the small space allotted here, is out of the question. But I will do what I can.

**** 新加坡高官工资是否太高了? <http://www.bbc.co.uk/zhongwen/simp/fooc/2011/08/110812_fooc_singapore_official_earning.shtml>
朱丽安娜•刘, BBC

但是,我问道,你如果真的想成为“人民的总统”,为什么还要领工资呢?学学纽约市长迈克尔·布隆伯格怎么样?人家的年薪就要一美元!

陈钦亮笑了笑,回答说,“我可没有人家那么有钱”。

**** Majulah Mobile Phone <http://www.chillycraps.com/2011/08/majulah-mobile-phone.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+chillyfeed+%28department+of+crappy+engineering%29>
Department Of Crappy Engineering

If you have seen her so-called "apology", it was quite a cow-crap. First she said she was so caught up, then she said _IF_ she had offended anyone, please accept her apology. To end it, she gave people a lesson on NDP is a time to unite not divide.

**** Struggling In Uncharted, Stormy Seas <http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2011/8/13/focus/9286637&sec=focus>
Seah Chiang Nee, The Star

Instead of being cautious, people were still indulging in a buying spree – of stocks and shares, properties and cars, instead of adopting a cautious approach.

Singapore has developed into a materialistic society, in which many youths want to make a fortune – quickly, rather than earn a steady income.

**** 继陈钦亮之后 陈如斯承诺若当选会捐出大部分薪水 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp110813_013.shtml>
郑景祥, 联合早报

继民选总统准候选人陈钦亮之后,另一位准候选人陈如斯也承诺,如果当选将会把大部分的俸禄捐给慈善事业或者其他有意义的事项。

他说,部长和总统的薪金都是他一直关注的议题,因为无论当部长或是总统都属于一种公共服务,高薪不应成为吸引人才的主要因素。

**** 陈清木:若承诺减薪等于收买选票 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp110813_010.shtml>
何惜薇, 联合早报

尽管深知检讨担任政治职位者薪金是当下最“火红”的议题,陈清木却这样告诉他们:“如果只因为我会减薪而投我一票,那请别投票给我。……虽然我也赞成总统薪金过高,但这两个课题不能混为一谈。”

**** Rachelle Ann Beguia Likes To Bootlick MPs <http://everythingalsocomplain.wordpress.com/2011/08/13/rachelle-ann-beguia-likes-to-bootlick-mps/>
Everything Also Complain

But what’s really disappointing here is how all this commotion is played out on Facebook, and not a single peep from the MP who started this all. Penny Low even proclaimed how NDP should ‘unite and not divide’ in her scrappy apology, but yet is profoundly silent when it comes to addressing the comments of this bootlicking supporter.

**** Five Places Where You Can Still Find Old Bus Shelters <http://goodmorningyesterday.blogspot.com/2011/08/five-places-where-you-can-still-find.html>
Lam Chun See, Good Morning Yesterday

**** Tan Kin Lian Says He Is Prepared To Be 'Flexible' <http://www.straitstimes.com/The-Big-Story/The-Big-Story-1/Story/STIStory_701740.html>
Cheryl Ong, Straits Times

Presidential hopeful Tan Kin Lian on Saturday refuted talk that he might bow out of the elections, but maintained that he is prepared to be 'flexible' if the situation calls for it. 'The chance of my stepping down is very small. I am just saying that nothing is cast in stone,' he said.

**** Tan Cheng Bock Won’t Pledge To Donate Pay Because… <http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singaporescene/tan-cheng-bock-won-t-pledge-donate-pay-045514750.html>
Yahoo!

Pledging to donate part of the Presidential salary if elected could be akin to buying people's vote, believes Presidential hopeful Dr Tan Cheng Bock. "If somebody tells me he will vote for me if I take a pay cut, I don't know whether I'm actually compromising on (my) principles — that is, actually, I'm buying your vote," he explained.

Dr Tan, however, agreed with two other Presidential aspirants Tan Kin Lian and Tan Jee Say that the presidential salary is too high.

**** Famous Biomed Couple Leaving S’pore For The US <http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singaporescene/renown-biomed-couple-leaving-pore-us-034709023.html>
Alicia Wong, Yahoo!

While a generously funded state programme there has been attractive for heavyweights in cancer research, it is also understood that the husband-and-wife team are frustrated with the research scene here.