[MyAppleMenu] Aug 12, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Aug 12 18:59:00 EDT 2011

**** Review: ScreenFlow 3, The Power To Publish Training Videos, Presentations, And Screencasts <http://it-enquirer.com/2011/08/11/review-screenflow-3-the-power-to-publish-training-Videos-presentations-and-screencasts/>
Erik Vlietinck, IT.Enquirer

ScreenFlow, the first really powerful screen recording software for the Mac is being upgraded to version 3 by Telestream. The new version sports a number of improvements that turn ScreenFlow 3 in an absolute winner in this market, but I also found a couple of bugs that need to be ironed out.

**** MindManager 9 For Mac Review <http://www.macworld.co.uk/macsoftware/reviews/index.cfm?reviewid=3296423&olo=rss>
Alan Stonebridge, Macworld UK

MindManager 9 smooths the task of modelling projects and processes as mind maps with simple but useful new features. Foremost is the Quick Entry palette, which shoves all concern about a map’s structure aside in favour of brainstorming keywords and phrases at the earliest stage.

**** Apple Deleted A Galaxy <http://boingboing.net/2011/08/11/apple-deleted-a-galaxy.html>
Maggie Koerth-Baker, Boing Boing

**** Apple's 13-in. MacBook Air: All This Style And Speed, Too <http://www.computerworld.com/s/article/9218995/Apple_s_13_in._MacBook_Air_All_this_style_and_speed_too?source=rss_operatingsystems&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+computerworld%2Fs%2Ffeed%2Ftopic%2F123+%28Computerworld+Mac+OS+News%29>
Ken Mingis, Computerworld

I'm not going to hem and haw: As far as I'm concerned, Apple's new 13-in. MacBook Air is just about perfect.

**** Tackling The Dangers Of Workplace Inactivity <http://www.technologyreview.com/business/38178/?ref=rss>
Emily Singer, Technology Review

**** Midnight Dreams Of Every Paris <http://www.berfrois.com/2011/08/dreams-of-every-paris/>
Charles Rearick, Berfrois

Each one of them merits being highlighted and understood—as facets of the Paris that that we can visit today. A single generalizing narrative or a single thematic focus doesn’t do them justice. Nor does a description of them in guides and travel articles. In historical perspective, we can recognize them as living forms of centuries-old visions of the city—as long historical continuities that get lost in short-period accounts of dramatic events or famous people.

**** Is That All There Is? <http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/atlarge/2011/08/15/110815crat_atlarge_wood?currentPage=all>
James Wood, New Yorker

These are theological questions without theological answers, and, if the atheist is not supposed to entertain them, then, for slightly different reasons, neither is the religious believer.

**** The Long Goodbye: A Memoir Of Grief By Meghan O'Rourke – Review <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2011/aug/12/long-goodbye-meghan-orourke-review?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+theguardian%2Fbooks%2Frss+%28Books%29>
Rachel Cooke, The Guardian

There are people who insist that grief is ennobling. "You will come out of it a better person," they say, their hand softly upon your shoulder. But this is complete rot, of course. Maybe you will become a more compassionate person, in the sense that you now understand what grief feels like.

**** National Service: A Mother's Constant Worry <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_701212.html>
Looi Pek Hong, Straits Times

Why are there fatal accidents involving our NSFs almost every year? Why do they happen even after inquiries and investigations reveal that procedures were followed and safety measures were in place?

The defence ministry should correct this distressing record. Let us, the parents of current and future NSFs, live and sleep in peace.

**** Can You Don’t Eat Curry? <http://everythingalsocomplain.wordpress.com/2011/08/12/can-you-dont-eat-curry/>
Everything Also Complain

This is not welcoming our immigrants with open arms, this is us cutting an arm off so that they can use it to smack our own loser faces with it.

**** Is Tin Pei Ling And Her Associates Above The Law? <http://thetwophilo.wordpress.com/2011/08/12/is-tin-pei-ling-and-her-associates-above-the-law/>
Thetwophilo's Blog

**** We The Voters Will Decide What Kind Of President We Want <http://atans1.wordpress.com/2011/08/12/we-the-voters-will-decide-what-kind-of-president-we-want/>
Thoughts Of A Cynical Investor

**** It’s Not Just About Curry <http://speakspokewritewrote.wordpress.com/2011/08/12/its-not-just-about-curry/>
SpeakSpokeWriteWrote

An alert staff should be able to see this is a case of non-integration. After all this talk about spending a small fortune to help foreigners to assimilate, this frontline staff must be taught to see this as an opportunity to counsel integration, and is not the normal neighbour to neighbour dispute.

**** 没获候选人合格证书 黄文优表失望 关玉麟已上诉 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp110812_005.shtml>
林诗慧, 联合早报

这是关玉麟第二度申请参选总统失败。他受访时强调,他在财务管理方面的能力充足、经验丰富,在担任裕廊集团财务总管期间,公司的资本规模和储备也高达93亿元,比宪法规定的1亿元多了92倍。

**** Indonesia Temporarily Stops Foreign Banks From Buying Local Lenders <http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/08/12/indonesia-banks-idUSL3E7JC08320110812>
Aditya Suharmoko, Reuters

Indonesia will not allow foreign banks to buy local lenders until it issues new regulations to limit ownership in commercial banks, the nation's central bank said on Friday.

Indonesia is the only emerging market in Asia with almost no ownership limits on banks and analysts see the new regulations forcing foreign investors such as Singapore state investor Temasek and private equity firm TPG Capital to cut their majority stakes in Bank Danamon and BTPN , respectively.

**** Why I Am Voting For Mr Tan Jee Say <http://www.blueskywhiteclouds.net/?p=74>
Blue Sky White Clouds

Because he is the only non-PAP President Candidate out there, and he is someone who is willing to work the intended responsibilities of the Singapore President.

**** An Interesting Contest For The Tan Quartet <http://newasiarepublic.com/?p=31600>
Chan Jia Hui, New Asia Republic

**** Singapore Retailers, Restaurants Complain Of Foreign Worker Shortage <http://www.bernama.com/bernama/v5/newsworld.php?id=607715>
Bernama

Restaurants and retail industry players were complaining of foreign labour shortage after the government tightened immigration policies, Xinhua news agency said citing a local daily's report on Friday.

**** Erected Plesidency: Tony And Others <http://thinkingbetterthinkingmeta.blogspot.com/2011/08/erected-plesidency-tony-and-others.html>
Sam's Thoughts

**** Tan Kin Lian And Tan Jee Say Meet At Elections Department <http://www.straitstimes.com/The-Big-Story/The-Big-Story-1/Story/STIStory_701341.html>
Andrea Ong, Straits Times

Mr Tan Kin Lian hinted that 'something might happen' between now and Nomination Day in the four-cornered presidential contest but declined to comment on whether he, Mr Tan Jee Say and Dr Tan Cheng Bock have been in talks. Mr Tan Jee Say, however, said he would not back out of the contest as he is the 'only independent' among the four hopefuls.

Dr Tony Tan, Dr Tan Cheng Bock and Mr Tan Kin Lian were all former People's Action Party members.

**** Four Men, No Certain Winner <http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2011/08/12/four-men-no-certain-winner/>
Au Waipang, Yawning Bread

Asking around the last few days in a totally unscientific way, one answer that seems to be extremely common is this: “I will vote for whoever is furthest from the PAP”. Admittedly, my sample is heavily skewed since I tend to mix around with anti-establishment types. Despite this, and hearing this answer so frequently, I am led to question my own view that Tony Tan is the most likely winner. Over the last week or two, Yahoo Singapore had been running an online poll, and, while the result fluctuated from day to day, it was never obvious that Tony Tan had a runaway majority.

**** Law Minister Isn’t Ultimate Interpreter Of Constitution – Tan Jee Say <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/08/law-minister-isn’t-ultimate-interpreter-of-constitution-–-tan-jee-say/>
Joshua Chiang, The Online Citizen

“When the Law Minister says you must go by the Constitution, let him answer that – where does the Constitution say that there must be a unifying role for the President?” he asked. “But the government did say, the prime minister himself said that Dr Tony Tan would be good for unifying the people. So I would ask, “Where is the clause?” There is no clause.”

**** PE: I've Got A Good Chance In The Election, Says Tan Cheng Bock <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1146654/1/.html>
Monica Kotwani, Channel NewsAsia

**** No Country For Young (Singaporean) Men <http://military-life.blogspot.com/2011/08/no-country-for-young-singaporean-men.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+blogspot%2FOnPU+%28Military+Life%29>
Military Life

Conscription as it stands cannot continue to go on like it is. I cannot fathom why we cannot even start the discourse to consider professionalising the military into an all volunteer force.

**** Why Does CNA Keep Associating Tan Jee Say With SDP? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/08/why-does-cna-keep-associating-tan-jee-say-with-sdp/>
Ravi Philemon, The Online Citizen

**** It Is My Vote, And It Is Precious. <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/08/neo-swee-lin-its-my-vote-and-its-precious/>
Neo Swee Lin, The Online Citizen

I will not vote according to who I think stands a chance or not. I will not vote in a politically savvy way. I will vote with my heart, my mind, my soul. It is my vote, and it is precious.