[MyAppleMenu] Aug 16, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Aug 16 18:59:00 EDT 2011

**** Creating Media-Savvy Journalists With Mac <http://www.apple.com/education/profiles/missouri/#video-missouri?sr=hotnews.rss>
Apple

MacBook Pro helps students at the Missouri School of Journalism effectively learn and practice the skills of modern journalism, including reporting, writing, and editing in different media. And it allows faculty to focus on teaching journalism — rather than managing technology.

**** QuickPick Pulled From App Store <http://rentzsch.tumblr.com/post/8984557263/quickpick-pulled-from-app-store>
Rentzsch

It’s safe to say everyone loses here: Seth, his customers, Apple and Apple’s developers.

**** Apple Starts Selling $69 OS X Lion USB Thumb Drive <http://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/16/apple-starts-selling-69-os-x-lion-usb-thumb-drive/>
Arnold Kim, MacRumors

Apple has started selling the OS X Lion USB Thumb Drive, intended for users without a broadband connection.

**** Playing Nice With GarageBand For iPad <http://www.macworld.com/article/161090/2011/08/gbcompanion.html#lsrc.rss_main>
James Galbraith, Macworld

Musical newbies aren’t the only ones interested in using the $5 app, however. GarageBand for iPad appeals to seasoned musicians, too. And those with significant investments in recording equipment may be wondering which, if any, of their existing gear will work with the portable version of GarageBand. I decided to grab my trusty iPad, my iPad camera connection kit, and powered USB hub and plug in whatever I had around to see what would work.

**** How AirDrop Makes File-sharing Simple <http://www.macworld.com/article/161706/2011/08/how_airdrop_makes_file_sharing_simple.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Glenn Fleishman, Macworld

Computers connecting via AirDrop don’t have to be connected to the same Wi-Fi network. They don’t require an ad hoc network or software base station. AirDrop bypasses all that.

**** The Race To The South Pole <http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2011/09/amundsen/alexander-text?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ng%2FNGM%2FNGM_Magazine+%28National+Geographic+Magazine%29>
Caroline Alexander, National Geographic Magazine

A century ago Scott lost and Amundsen won—partly because he knew when to turn back.

**** Personal Flight <http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2011/09/personal-flight/shute-text?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+ng%2FNGM%2FNGM_Magazine+%28National+Geographic+Magazine%29>
Nancy Shute, National Geographic Magazine

The daring dream of personal flight.

**** I Won’t Have The Stomach For This <http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/14/opinion/sunday/i-wont-have-the-stomach-for-this.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all>
Anna Stoessinger, New York Times

And so, with just 10 days left with my trusted stomach, we set out to capture all that food meant — all the memories it conjured, all the happiness it brought.

**** Let Us Use Curry To Educate ... <http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC110816-0000304/Let-us-use-curry-to-educate-,,,>
Danesh Daryanani, Today

Let us go ahead on Sunday to "cook a pot of curry" and invite our Singaporean and non-Singaporean friends and neighbours to embrace our curries - Indian, Chinese, Malay or Eurasian - and let us use curry for positive change.

**** Not Exceptional Enough? <http://furrybrowndog.wordpress.com/2011/08/15/not-exceptional-enough/>
Furry Brown Dog

There are others whose skills and request for deferments or disruptions were not always granted on the best possible terms the way Patrick Tan appear to have gotten.

**** National Day Rally : A Few Tweaks But Where Is The Vision? <http://singaporemind.blogspot.com/2011/08/national-day-rally-few-tweaks-but-where.html>
Diary Of A Singapore Mind

Merely softening the edges of policies and not making fundamental change will not get us very far. Perhaps, the people will be slightly less unhappy in the short term but they will remain unhappy nonetheless.

**** Missing Piece Of Bus Arrival Times From SMRT <http://sgtransport.blogspot.com/2011/08/missing-piece-of-bus-arrival-times-from.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+SingaporesLandTransport+%28Singapore%27s+Land+Transport%29>
Singapore's Land Transport

Without fanfare, SMRT launched the bus arrival times information for all SMRT bus services at all bus stops. With this, the missing piece of puzzle in getting SMRT's bus arrival times is finally in place.

Next step? An integrated bus arrival information portal showing both SBST and SMRT information. LTA has got to harmonise both set of real-time bus arrival information and present in one integrated system -- you won't get one if you leave it to the operators.

**** Safety Of National Servicemen A Top Priority: Mindef <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_702512.html>
Desmond Tan, Ministry Of Defence, Straits Times

Mindef and the SAF will strive continually to improve our safety record and we appreciate the commitment and dedication of our servicemen and their families to national service.

**** Presidential Hopeful Tan Jee Say: I'm Not A 'Yes Man' <http://www.cnngo.com/singapore/life/tan-jee-say-government-dont-expect-me-yes-man-and-i-dont-intend-be-one-690481>
Elaine Ee, CNNGo

**** 关玉麟上诉失败 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp110816_024.shtml>
陈紫筠, 联合早报

总统选举委员会秘书处昨日证实,已经拒绝了关玉麟的上诉,并指出在宪法第18(9)节条文规定下,委员会对于候选人是否达到资格的决定是最终的决定,并且不会重新考虑这项决定。

**** Questionable Numbers <http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.com/2011/08/questionable-numbers.html>
Chua Chin Leng, My Singapore News

**** 请明确划定地铁站禁止饮食的范围 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/yl/yl110816_008.shtml>
叶美玲, 联合早报

地铁站内禁止饮食,却为何站内有那么多饮食店?

**** What Percentage Of Students In Our Universities Are Singaporeans? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/08/what-percentage-of-students-in-our-universities-are-singaporeans/>
The Online Citizen

**** Everybody Should Have A Place In Singapore <http://www.raviphilemon.net/2011/08/everybody-should-have-place-in.html>
Ravi Philemon

As a people, we should learn that it is ok not to sprint all the time, and that we can sometimes slow down for the stragglers to catch up - so that we can all move forward into the future as one people.

**** Shanmugam Clarifies "Curry Case" <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1147353/1/.html>
Joanne Chan, Channel NewsAsia

Minister for Law K Shanmugam on Tuesday clarified that parties involved in the mediation of the "curry" incident were not given a recommendation nor forced into settlement.

**** ‘Not True’ That NTUC Income Didn’t Intend To Privatise – Tan Kin Lian <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/08/not-true-that-ntuc-income-didnt-intend-to-privatise-tan-kin-lian/>
Benjamin Cheah, The Online Citizen

Saying that the statement is ‘not true’, Mr Tan pointed out that NTUC Income’s current Board of Directors had only been in their posts for only about the last five years, and might not have known about previous discussions about privatisation. He furthered added that the Board’s statement was probably referring to NTUC’s activities within the tenure of the current Board, while Mr Tan’s original claim that NTUC Income was privatisation was to be seen in context of the last fifteen years.

**** Workers’ Party’s Statement On The Prime Minister’s National Day Rally Speech 2011 <http://wp.sg/2011/08/workers-partys-statement-on-the-prime-ministers-national-day-rally-speech-2011/>
Workers' Party

**** PM: Govt To Work With Whomever Voters Elect As President <http://www.straitstimes.com/The-Big-Story/The-Big-Story-1/Story/STIStory_702712.html>
Lydia Lim, Straits Times

On the Presidential Elections Committee's decision to issue four certificates of eligibility, Mr Lee said that means in the committee's view, four of those who applied, meet the basic threshold for the office. But it does not mean that all four are equally qualified to be President, he said.

The government will work with whomever voters choose, Mr Lee pledged, and he has every confidence they will make a good judgement.