[MyAppleMenu] Aug 2, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Aug 2 18:59:00 EDT 2011

**** iCloud Storage Upgrade Pricing Announced <http://tidbits.com/article/12386?rss>
Glenn Fleishman, TidBITS

Adding 10 GB, 20 GB, and 50 GB of iCloud space (for totals of 15, 25, and 55 GB) costs $20, $40, and $100 per year, respectively.

**** Apple Posts New iCloud Login Page As A Revamped MobileMe, iWork.com <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/11/08/01/apple_posts_new_icloud_login_page_as_a_revamped_mobileme_iwork_com.html>
Daniel Eran Dilger, AppleInsider

Apple has posted a not yet fully functional login page for its new iCloud service, representing a revamped version of its existing Mail, Contacts, Calendar and Find My iPhone MobileMe apps as well as newly integrating the document sharing features of iWork.com.

**** Adjust Your Locked iPhone's Volume <http://www.macworld.com/article/161407/2011/08/adjust_your_locked_iphones_volume.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Lex Friedman, Macworld

**** Skype Releases iPad Native Client <http://www.macworld.com/article/161490/2011/08/skype_releases_ipad_native_client.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Dan Moren, Macworld

**** Will OS X Lion Roar In The Enterprise? <http://www.macworld.com/article/161493/2011/08/lion_enterprise.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Ryan Faas, Computerworld

Here’s a look at how Lion will affect the existing processes at those organizations and what companies considering a big Mac investment should keep in mind.

**** CleanHaven Pro Makes It Easy To Clean Up Messy Text <http://www.macworld.com/article/161498/2011/08/cleanhaven.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Dan Miller, Macworld

The main appeal of CleanHaven is its straightforward simplicity: You’d likely be able to use all of the program’s features right away, without any tutoring or help.

**** Henry James And The American Idea <http://www.neh.gov/news/humanities/2011-07/HenryJames.html>
Susan Goodman, Humanities

Of the many contributors who supported and found support from the Atlantic Monthly, Henry James stands apart. James, who came into his own in the pages of the magazine, published stories, reviews, and novels through half a century—and with the Atlantic ocean between himself and the editors in Boston.

**** The Importance Of Being Earnest <http://www.tnr.com/article/books/magazine/92794/david-lipsky-foster-wallace-pale-king?passthru=MDM0Y2MyNDQ2ZDc1OWIxYjFmZmY4OWMwNTA1Yzc1Yzg>
Adam Kirsch, The New Republic

He was exceptional in many ways—in the scale of his ambition and achievement, the affection he inspired in readers, the generational significance of his life and death. But the root of Wallace’s distinction may have been his untimely style of Americanness.

**** Charmed: Reading "Humiliation" <http://www.bookslut.com/features/2011_08_017931.php>
Elizabeth Bachner, Bookslut

Humiliation is complicated -- it unites us and divides us. I’m thinking about what, if anything, I’ve learned about love and its necessities.

**** On The Road Again <http://thesmartset.com/article/article07291101.aspx>
Jessa Crispin, The Smart Set

Is it possible to fail at travel?

**** Deceptive Picture <http://www.newyorker.com/arts/critics/atlarge/2011/08/08/110808crat_atlarge_ross?currentPage=all>
Alex Ross, New Yorker

How Oscar Wilde painted over “Dorian Gray.”

**** Book Review Clichés I’d Like To See <http://bygonebureau.com/2011/08/01/book-review-cliches/>
Darryl Campbell, The Bygone Bureau

If you’re going to lie and say you’ve thrown a book across the room, you may as well take such expressions to their logical extreme. A possible replacement: “I put down the book, scratched a curse in Hermes’s name against the author on a sheet of lead, and nailed it to the wall of the local temple, in the manner of a Roman defixio.” Better to be outrageous than predictable.

**** The Lost Art Of Postcard Writing <http://www.nybooks.com/blogs/nyrblog/2011/aug/02/what-ever-happened-summer-postcards/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+nybooks+%28The+New+York+Review+of+Books%29>
Charles Simic, New York Review Of Books

Unlike letter writing, there never has been, and there never could be, an anthology of the best of postcard writing, because when people collect postcards, it’s usually for reasons other than their literary qualities. If there was such a book, I’m sure it would contain hundreds of anonymous masterpieces of this minimalist art, since unlike letters, cards require a verbal concision that can rise to high level of eloquence: brief and heart-breaking glimpses into someone’s existence, in addition to countless amusing and well-told anecdotes.

**** Tony & Patrick 'Fooking Did It'! <http://feedmetothefish.blogspot.com/2011/08/tony-patrick-fooking-did-it.html>
Feed Me To The Fish

In Singapore, we do not have corruption. We do not have nepotism. We only have an aspiration of 'building a democratic society based on justice and equality so as to achieve happiness, prosperity and progress for our nation'. While aspiring, we live in mockery!

**** How I Shall Be The People's Voice: Kin Lian <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_697330.html>
Tan Kin Lian, Straits Times

In the past, important issues raised by opposition MPs were usually answered in a partisan manner and were not adequately or openly discussed. This structural weakness is likely to persist in the newly elected Parliament. The EP can play a useful role in being an additional channel for the people to raise legitimate issues to the government and can, through the influence of his office, encourage an open and non-partisan approach to solve them.

**** Mindef Should Spell Out NS Deferment Criteria <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_697331.html>
Lim Guay Cheng, Straits Times

Dr Tan's case suggests to me that budding musicians, artists or sportsmen are deemed less important than future doctors or scientists. If Singapore is to be vibrant and enriching, talented citizens in any field should be supported.

What are the necessary conditions for deferment? Mindef's transparency will set the record straight and help in future appeals.

**** Singapore National Day: Where Are Our National Flags? <http://rogerpoh.wordpress.com/2011/08/02/singapore-national-day-where-are-our-national-flags/>
Spotlight On Singapore

**** This Is Real Daft <http://singaporedesk.blogspot.com/2011/08/this-is-real-daft.html>
Singapore Notes

**** Was The Loke Cheng Kim Scholarship Committee Aware Of Patrick Tan’s President’s Scholarship Award? <http://thetwophilo.wordpress.com/2011/08/02/was-the-loke-cheng-kim-scholarship-committee-aware-of-patrick-tan’s-presidents-scholarship-award/>
Thetwophilo's Blog

Is Patrick Tan willing to favour us with an unambiguous and unequivocal explanation regarding this issue?

**** Dr Patrick Tan And The Integrity Of NS <http://thesatayclub.net/2011/08/dr-patrick-tan-and-the-integrity-of-ns/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=dr-patrick-tan-and-the-integrity-of-ns>
Philip Tan, The Satay Club

The question really is: If Dr Patrick Tan was not the son of Dr Tony Tan, would he have been allowed a 12-year disruption from full-time NS? And would he have been allowed to serve out the remainder of his NS liability as a “defence medical scientist” at DMERI? If these issues continue to be sidestepped, the integrity of NS as a whole could risk being called into question – the morale of both servicemen and reservists could be affected, and more importantly, the incorruptible image of Singapore’s leaders will be placed in doubt.

**** PAP Government Is Pro-business But Not Pro-people <http://singaporeelection.blogspot.com/2011/08/pap-government-is-pro-business-but-not.html>
Singapore Election Watch

What is the meaning of economic growth when our own citizens do not have a share in the fruit of success?

**** Some Thoughts On Digital Life In Singapore <http://www.andywilliamson.com/?p=413>
Andy Williamson

It’s important that countries build tools that reflect their culture and values and don’t just copy what’s hot elsewhere. Certainly there’s no reason why Singapore needs to be reticent, I heard some great ideas coming out of the public sector and the commercial digital and social media scene is strong and getting stronger.

**** Potong Pasir Resident Gets PAP Mistreatment <http://www.facebook.com/note.php?note_id=10150256776398964>
The Online Citizen, Facebook

**** In The Hot Seat: Learning Points From The National Day Parade 2011 Stray Fireworks Projectile Incident <http://kementah.blogspot.com/2011/08/in-hot-seat-learning-points-from.html>
Senang Diri

**** 46th Years Of NS Sacrifices Scuttled By A 12 Years NS Disruption <http://singapore-lighthouse.blogspot.com/2011/08/46th-years-of-ns-sacrifices-scuttled-by.html?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+blogspot%2Fymrch+%28Singapore+Social+and+Political+Thoughts%29>
Singapore Social And Political Thoughts

I as a NS man cannot understand my own stupidity to give my time and responsibilities to SAF when I was active. I should learn from the rest to "eat snakes" or "chow geng" during my time in SAF. My time spent in NS was utterly a waste of time and I realised that we who served had been protecting the foreigners working in Singapore and taking away jobs from us at the same time.....

After reading about Dr Tony Tan's son's 12 years disruption, I cannot imagine the feeling of being cheated especially those NSFs who tried very hard to disrupt during NS and Mindef said cannot and yet a 12 years disruption was possible if someone was a big shot's son.... After NS, cannot disrupt, lagged 2 years behind their peers who need not do NS, yet found that jobs are given to foreigners simply because their wages requirement is lower.

**** Ballot Paper For Presidential Polls To Include Candidates' Photos <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1144565/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

The ballot paper for the upcoming Presidential Election will include the photographs of candidates. The Elections Department said this will allow voters to recognise the candidates more easily and facilitate their marking of voting choice on the ballot paper.

The change in the format of the ballot paper was one of the rules and regulations gazetted on Tuesday, ahead of the Presidential Election which has to take place by the end of this month.

**** Temasek Review Emeritus To Continue Operations <http://sg.news.yahoo.com/blogs/singaporescene/temasek-review-emeritus-continue-operations-052414441.html>
Alicia Wong, Yahoo!

Financial pledges and support from its readers have convinced the team behind socio-political website Temasek Review Emeritus (TRE), formerly known as Temasek Review, to keep the site running for at least five more years.

**** I Wish That Hanging Up The Singapore Flag For National Day Was A Neutral Thing <http://singaporeactually.com/2011/08/02/i-wish-that-hanging-up-the-singapore-flag-for-national-day-was-a-neutral-thing/>
Singapore Actually

**** No Decision Yet To Back Any Presidential Candidate <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_697612.html>
Kor Kian Beng, Straits Times

The NTUC has not decided whether to endorse any presidential candidate and may end up not backing any eventually, said the labour movement's president John De Payva.

But Mr De Payva added that he felt personally that former deputy prime minister Tony Tan fits the bill of a suitable president for the labour movement and workers. Said Mr De Payva: 'We are mindful of who we think who should be president but we have not decided whether to endorse. We may, we may not.'

**** Singapore Questioned By The UN CEDAW Committee On Gender Equality And Human Rights <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2011/08/singapore-questioned-by-the-un-cedaw-committee-on-gender-equality-and-human-rights/>
Lisa Li, The Online izen

We may not agree on all the issues or recommendations or methods, but we don’t have to. For those of us who believe in the importance of human rights, we can continue to push for the elimination of discrimination in our own ways: Tell stories, ask questions, conduct surveys for documentation, run sustained collaborative campaigns, volunteer our energy and resources to help the disadvantaged or disenfranchised, discuss these issues in our homes, schools, media and community groups, or – very simply – continue to be kind and compassionate to people around us, protecting Others’ rights as we would our own.

**** I Agree That Tony Tan Should Quit The Race <http://blogging4myself.blogspot.com/2011/08/i-agree-that-tony-tan-should-quit-race.html>
Blogging For Myself

When it comes to choosing a President, there must not even be a hint of irregularity in the candidate. Alas, it looks like Tony Tan has failed the test.

**** Battling Over The Moral Meaning Of Gender Equality <http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2011/08/03/battling-over-the-moral-meaning-of-gender-equality/>
Au Waipang, Yawning Bread

**** Singapore Ahead In The Losing Game? <http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC110803-0000403/Singapore-ahead-in-the-losing-game?>
Leong Sze Hian, Today

Surely giving the statistics on Singaporean visitors would be the best way to end speculation that more are gambling.