[MyAppleMenu] Aug 3, 2011

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed Aug 3 18:59:00 EDT 2011

**** Apple's iCloud Vs. The Data Caps <http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2390275,00.asp?kc=PCRSS03069TX1K0001121>
Sascha Segan, PC Magazine

I'd also like to see Apple and Google starting to include more data-optimization technologies, like Opera and BlackBerry use to shrink Web pages and other Internet content. If we're in for an era of data scarcity, I'd rather sip data than not be able to use it at all.

**** Apple Revises "What Makes An iPhone An iPhone" Ads <http://www.macrumors.com/2011/08/02/apple-releases-two-new-tv-ads-what-makes-an-iphone-an-iphone/>
Jordan Golson, MacRumors

The new ones are much friendlier, telling viewers about iPhone features and noting they are "just one more thing that makes an iPhone an iPhone."

**** Red, Delicious, And Rotten <http://www.foreignpolicy.com/articles/2011/08/01/red_delicious_and_rotten?page=full>
Christina Larson, Foreign Policy

The result is that Apple's image in China now emphasizes not rebellion, but luxury -- or as Wolf puts it, "exclusivity." Its gorgeous glass-walled stores are located next to high-end clothing boutiques like Armani, Versace, and BMW Lifestyle. Apple is seen as the choice of "top white-collar professionals," as stylish 30-something Lily Ou told me, glancing up from a row of brightly colored iPhone cases at Beijing's Sanlitun Apple Store. Ou is a sales manager for an international food distributor. "I like to show off my Apple identity," she said.

**** Thunder In The Air: Ars Reviews The Mid-2011 MacBook Air <http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2011/08/thunder-in-the-air-ars-reviews-the-mid-2011-macbook-air.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss>
Iljitsch Van Beijnum, Ars Technica

The higher quality screen with its higher resolution is often a joy to use. The keyboard was already very good and regains the highly desirable backlighting. The size and weight are a revelation. The SSD is amazing, the CPU capable, the GPU adequate. Battery life can be good, but it can also trend towards mediocre if you let too many applications run in the background.

**** Apple's Money <http://www.cringely.com/2011/08/apples-money/>
I, Cringely

In an era where interest rates on idling cash are averaging one percent, Apple is using its cash to get 15-20 percent discounts on parts. That’s exactly like earning a 15-20 percent interest rate.

**** New Mac Minis Deliver Serious Performance <http://www.macworld.com/article/161414/2011/08/mac_mini_mid_2011_review.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Dan Frakes, Macworld

Without an optical drive, the 2011 mini may not be quite as versatile, but Core i5 processors mean that, for the first time, the mini is a serious performer—nearly twice as fast as its predecessor and comparable to some of Apple’s latest MacBook Pro models. And with FireWire 800, Thunderbolt, and a reasonably accessible hard drive, even good storage performance is an option. Of course, it’s also great to see Apple bring the price back down to $599.

On the other hand, those who need great graphics performance won’t find it here, and the loss of an optical drive is likely to scare off some buyers, especially those looking to use the Mac mini as part of a home-media center (though the lack of a Blu-ray option anywhere in Apple’s product line already made this a moot point for some).

**** Guts And Glory: A Review Of The MacBook Air <http://shawnblanc.net/2011/08/macbook-air-review/>
Shawn Blanc

After using the 13-inch MacBook Air for almost two weeks, it has been difficult to pinpoint exactly what it is about this laptop that makes it so great. I don’t think it’s so much in what the Air is, but rather what it is not — or rather, what it doesn’t have. The Air doesn’t have an optical drive, it doesn’t have many ports, it doesn’t have a removable battery, and it doesn’t have much weight.

It’s the subtraction of all these things that adds up to make the Air such an attractive and incredible computer.

**** How To Convert Audio And Video Files For Free <http://www.macworld.com/article/161412/2011/08/how_to_convert_audio_and_video_files_for_free.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

**** Manage Your Money In Lion -- Without Quicken <http://www.macworld.com/article/161401/2011/08/lion_personal_finance_quicken_alternatives.html#lsrc.rss_main>
Jeffery Battersby, Macworld

How do you manage your personal finances if Quicken won’t work with Lion? Fortunately there are several alternatives to help you keep tabs on your cash flow.

**** The Teacher Who Encouraged Me To Write <http://www.salon.com/life/feature/2011/08/01/dave_eggers_teacher_memory/index.html>
Dave Eggers, Salon

Teachers live on in a thousand hearts and minds, right? They're stuck with us. We follow them everywhere and always.

**** Old Newspaper Articles Disappearing From NLB’s NewspaperSG Archives <http://furrybrowndog.wordpress.com/2011/08/03/old-newspaper-articles-disappearing-from-nlbs-newspapersg-archives/>
Furry Brown Dog

Ok this is getting spooky. I realised recently that a bunch of old ST articles which I linked to earlier have been disappearing from NewspaperSG, a searchable online Singapore newspaper archive maintained by NLB.

Now of course to be fair it’s not entirely clear why these articles have suddenly become unavailable. It doesn’t necessary imply that NLB was doing so deliberately to minimise political damage to Dr Tony Tan just for the election or to deny Dr TCB past positive coverage, only to restore access to it right after that. It might after all just be a simple technical error.

**** Nationalising Public Transport Can Be Profitable <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/Story/STIStory_697814.html>
Ng Kok Lim, Straits Times

The cost of buying back SMRT and SBS shares would be recouped in about 7½ years and nine years respectively. If we factor in the profits of SMRT and SBS between the next 20 and 50 years, buying back the two operators is not unprofitable.

**** More Competition In Public Transport Won't Work <http://www.straitstimes.com/STForum/OnlineStory/STIStory_697636.html>
Ng Junrong, Straits Times

The current arrangement of our public transportation system - being neither nationalised nor laissez-faire - is workable, and even desirable, given its market structure. However, the system still requires the government's active intervention and regulation to function to the commuter's benefit.

**** The Silence Of The Co-driver Etc <http://atans1.wordpress.com/2011/08/03/the-silence-of-the-co-driver-etc/>
Thoughts Of A Cynical Investor

**** More About Public Debts <http://www.freakthoughts.net/?p=702>
Freak Thoughts

**** Dr Tony Tan’s Son Is <I>not</i> A Licensed Doctor <http://singstatistician.blogspot.com/2011/08/dr-tony-tans-son-is-not-licensed-doctor.html>
Thoughts Of A Singapore Statistician

Is it normal for SAF to assign a 3rd Sergeant who is not licensed as a doctor and who has unrecognized medical qualifications to lead a sensitive medical military research project?

**** Same Old, Same Old <http://singaporedesk.blogspot.com/2011/08/same-old-same-old.html>
Singapore Notes

No wonder the flags are not fluttering in the wind, with August 9 just round the corner.

**** Changing Trends In Political Persecution <http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.com/2011/08/changing-trends-in-political.html>
Chua Chin Leng, My Singapore News

The rules of game have changed. The Predators and Preys have also changed. The political climate is set to be changed.

**** More Pampered Than Royalty? <http://thesatayclub.net/2011/08/more-pampered-than-royalty/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=more-pampered-than-royalty>
Philip Tan, The Satay Club

National Service is not about an individual’s professional or academic qualifications, it is not about giving people the opportunity to make the most of their talents. Otherwise, all law students should be given legal work, all engineers should be given engineering work, and all history students should be assigned to curate military museums. National Service is about making a personal sacrifice to do your patriotic duty regardless of your educational background, which schools you attended or who your parents are.

At least, that’s what we were taught to believe.

**** The 1988 ST Article Which Disappeared <http://furrybrowndog.wordpress.com/2011/08/03/the-1988-st-article-which-disappeared/>
Furry Brown Dog

As stated previously, the article says that Patrick Tan was already in Harvard studying even before he was awarded President’s Scholar. So I’m not sure about what to make of all those claims that he was granted disruption primarily because he was President Scholar. Perhaps he was notified of this award much earlier, but I have no idea when the PSC panel which awards the President Scholarship makes their decision. Other newspaper articles say that President Scholarship for males is awarded and judged partly on the individual’s performance in their National Service, so the big question of course is how much earlier could the young Patrick Tan have been informed of the impending President’s Scholar award?

**** PM Lee Issues Writ Of Election <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1144771/1/.html>
Channel NewsAsia

Singaporeans will go to the polls on August 27 if there's a contest for the Presidential Election.

The Writ of Election, naming August 17 as Nomination Day for the Presidential Election, was issued by prime minister Lee Hsien Loong on Wednesday.

**** NLB: Just A Technical Error <http://furrybrowndog.wordpress.com/2011/08/03/nlb-just-a-technical-error/>
Furry Brown Dog

NLB has clarified on NewspaperSG that all the missing issues will be restored by August 4th 12pm and that it’s a technical error.

**** 5 SDP Members Appeal Against Conviction For Illegal Assembly <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1144775/1/.html>
Hoe Yeen Nie, Channel NewsAsia

**** PE: Potential Candidates Have 3 Days To File Presidential Eligibility Forms <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1144774/1/.html>
Imelda Saad, Channel NewsAsia

Candidates will be issued their Certificates of Eligibility by the Presidential Elections Committee at least a day before Nomination Day.

**** Singapore Deputy PM: Currency Managed For The Long Term, Not Short Term <http://www.nasdaq.com/aspx/stock-market-news-story.aspx?storyid=201108030345dowjonesdjonline000242&title=singapore-deputy-pmcurrency-managed-for-the-long-termnot-short-term>
Sam Holmes And Chun Han Wong, Dow Jones

**** Single And Therefore More Suitable To Work On Sundays? <http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC110803-0001128/Single-and-therefore-more-suitable-to-work-on-Sundays?>
Angie Eng, Today

A friend of mine in her late 20s who is working for a local statutory board was informed recently by her management that she is rostered to stand by on a Sunday, as an event is scheduled to take place.

The reason given to her was that she is "single with no kids, so suitable for Sunday".

**** NTUC President Should Have Held Tongue <http://thinkhappiness.blogspot.com/2011/08/ntuc-president-should-have-held-tongue.html>
Think Happiness

**** LTA Extends Lifespan Of Older Buses To Better Service <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_698019.html>
Royston Sim, Straits Times

In its continuing bid to improve public bus services, the transport ministry is extending the lifespan of some older buses plying the roads. In a Facebook post on Wednesday evening, transport minister Lui Tuck Yew said that this would add about 5 to 6 per cent to the fleet capacity until more new buses arrive.