[MyAppleMenu] Dec 27, 2010

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Dec 27 18:59:00 EST 2010

**** MacBook Air Is My Gadget Of The Year <http://gigaom.com/2010/12/25/macbook-air-is-my-gadget-of-the-year/>
Om Malik, GigaOM

It aesthetically pleasing, it is well constructed, it is well priced and it is not ostentatious. It is a classic, much like a well-made plain white shirt. I get more use from this device than anything else I own. It makes working fun.

**** PostPoints Tip: Time Machine Works With Flash Drives Too <http://voices.washingtonpost.com/fasterforward/2010/12/postpoints_tip_time_machine_wo.html>
Rob Pegoraro, Washington Post

True, flash drives probably can't fit all of your data. But one can certainly accommodate such critical information as your e-mail, your calendar and address book and your work documents. And if a lack of funds or general indecision has held up your purchase of an external hard drive, what else are you going to do? Grab the biggest-capacity USB flash drive you have handy, plug it into your Mac and let Time Machine use it while you figure out that purchase.

**** The Mighty Eagle Soars <http://brooksreview.net/2010/12/mighty-eagle/>
Ben Brooks, The Brooks Review

What happens though when an hour after you were ‘killing time’ your phone buzzes to remind you about your Angry Birds process? Of course that would be annoying, so Angry Birds has disguised this action as a notification that the Mighty Eagle is back to soar.

How cool is that? A genius move I’d say.

**** Dating Sites Try Adaptive Matchmaking <http://www.technologyreview.com/business/26805/?ref=rss>
Courtney Humphries, Technology Review

New software is inspired by algorithms that target online ads or recommend books and movies.

**** Online Bazaar Builds On Its Base With Sense Of Community <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/27/technology/27etsy.html?_r=1&ref=business>
Jenna Wortham, New York Times

**** Book Review: 'Letters,' Saul Bellow, Edited By Benjamin Taylor <http://www.latimes.com/features/books/la-ca-saul-bellow-20101226,0,1434936.story?track=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+features%2Fbooks+%28Los+Angeles+Times+-+Books%29>
Richard Rayner, Los Angeles Times

Chatty yet polished, and always vibrant, Bellow's letters serve as the autobiography he never wrote.

**** On Forgiveness <http://opinionator.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/12/26/on-forgiveness/?ref=opinion>
Charles L. Griswold, New York Times

We are in a season traditionally devoted to good will among people and to the renewal of hope in the face of hard times. As we seek to realize these lofty ideals, one of our greatest challenges is overcoming bitterness and divisiveness. We all struggle with the wrongs others have done to us as well as those we have done to others, and we recoil at the vast extent of injury humankind seems determined to inflict on itself. How to keep hope alive? Without a constructive answer to toxic anger, addictive cycles of revenge, and immobilizing guilt, we seem doomed to despair about chances for renewal. One answer to this despair lies in forgiveness.

**** Fetal Monitors <http://www.slate.com/id/2278045/>
Annie Murphy Paul, Slate

A history of ideas about the fetus overlooks the actual unborn baby.

**** CPF Medisave Required Amount Raised – What It Really Means <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2010/12/cpf-medisave-required-amount-raised-what-it-really-means/>
Leong Sze Hian, The Online Citizen

Increasing the MRA now to $27,500 ($20,000 in 2003 dollars adjusted for inflation), means that the inflation adjustment for the last seven years is 37.5 per cent or 4.7 per cent per annum.

According to the Department of Statistics, inflation for the last seven years until November 2010, is about 17 per cent or about 2.3 per cent per annum.

**** Former Supreme Court And City Hall Get $413.8m Facelift <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_617890.html>
Vanessa Jalleh, Straits Times

**** Singapore Takeover Of ASX Proves Hugely Unpopular <http://www.smh.com.au/business/singapore-takeover-of-asx-proves-hugely-unpopular-20101227-198ij.html>
Mark Metherell, Sydney Morning Herald

Two-thirds of Australians oppose the Singapore Stock Exchange's proposed takeover of the Australian Stock Exchange. Coalition supporters are even more against the move than Labor voters.

The emphatic result is likely to cast deeper doubt over the chances of the federal Parliament giving the approval required if the government does seek the necessary regulatory change to lift the 15 per cent ownership cap on the ASX.

**** Government Is Serious Business <http://mysingaporenews.blogspot.com/2010/12/government-is-serious-business.html>
My Singapore News

A big contradiction in this quest for the best to serve the country and people is to have part time MPs but with a pay that is not part time.

**** Former ISA Detainee Michael Fernandez Rebut <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2010/12/former-isa-detainee-michael-fernandez-rebuts-mha/>
Joshua Chiang, The Online Citizen

At the press conference, Fernandez also denied that he was a member of the Communist United Front. Calling the government’s accusation a ‘smokescreen’, he said that the fact that the government didn’t prosecute him in open court showed that it knew he was not a member of the CUF.

Fernandez also said that the fact that the MHA statement didn’t address his main complaint of torture and inhumane treatment during his detention shows that the government apparently condoned the act. “Can they say they didn’t torture me?” he asked.