[MyAppleMenu] Dec 6, 2010

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Dec 6 18:59:00 EST 2010

**** Anyone Still Want To Contend That The iPad Isn’t A Creative Tool? <http://technologizer.com/2010/12/05/ipad-art/>
Harry McCracken, Technologizer

But while it’s true that the iPad can’t replace a Mac or Windows PC for every creative task, the evidence is piling up mighty fast that it is an exciting creative tool.

**** FastTrack Schedule 10 Gets Project Tracking Tools <http://www.macworld.com/article/156197/2010/12/fasttrack_schedule_10.html?lsrc=rss_main>
David Chartier, Macworld

**** Google Launches eBookstore With More Than 3 Million Titles <http://www.macworld.com/article/156194/2010/12/google_ebookstore_launch.html?lsrc=rss_main>
Dan Moren, Macworld

The company says that in addition to a Web-based reader, it’s created free apps for Android and iOS devices, allowing for mobile shopping and reading.

**** Deleting A Boot Camp Partition <http://www.macworld.com/article/156195/2010/12/delete_boot_camp.html?lsrc=rss_main>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

**** The iPad Office Suite <http://www.macworld.com/article/156110/2010/12/ipadofficesuite.html?lsrc=rss_main>
Galen Gruman, InfoWorld

If you or your employees use iPads for work, here are the apps you should install.

**** Downsizing: When A Heavenly Body Got The Boot <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/06/books/06book.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
Janet Maslin, New York Times

The Caltech astronomy professor Mike Brown is not the first person to write about the rise of the planet Pluto (discovered in 1930 by Clyde Tombaugh) or its recent demotion (in 2006) to second-class citizenry in a newly reduced, eight-planet solar system. He may not even be the best, coming on the heels of Neil deGrasse Tyson’s breezy “Pluto Files,” the novel “Percival’s Planet” and at least one other nonfiction book on the cosmic Pluto flap.

But Dr. Brown has a unique distinction: He was, for a few hours in 2005, the only person on Planet Earth to know that the standard nine-planet solar system model was going to require rejiggering.

**** The End <http://www.slate.com/id/2266654/>
Grady Hendrix, Slate

Why projectionists will soon be no more.

**** Temasek, GIC Raise $13B, Beat Global Peers <http://theedgesingapore.com/the-daily-edge/business/23786-temasek-gic-raise-13b-beat-global-peers.html>
Bloomberg

Temasek Holdings Pte and Government of Singapore Investment Corp. raised about US$9.9 billion ($13 billion) from international investors over the past year, selling more debt and equity than any other state investment firm.

**** Why Singapore’s 'World’s Best Sports City' Award Is A Joke <http://www.cnngo.com/singapore/life/john-davidson-why-singapores-worlds-best-sports-city-award-is-a-joke-861361>
John Davidson, CNNGo

So when you finally read the fine print in this story, you can actually understand Singapore was named best sports city in the world and the criteria for the honor was “the level of support and commitment made by a municipality in terms of funding and resource, legislation and planning as well as marketing and promotion.”

Translation: Kudos goes to the city who's government put up all the money and put on a good show in safe conditions.

**** The Johor Dilemma <http://www.mysinchew.com/node/49080?tid=14>
Lim Mun Fah, Sin Chew Daily

Singapore prime minister Lee Hsien Loong has warned his countrymen in this manner: "Let our foreign tourists play on the gambling tables and the slot machines. This is the only way to win for sure, because whether they win or lose, they must pay the gambling tax."

Whether they are talents or gamblers, Singapore is out to grab. This is its survival strategy. If we think we can ask it to give up, then we are just dreaming.

**** SFD March Permit Denied <http://www.straitstimes.com/BreakingNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_611057.html>
Tessa Wong, Straits Times

Police have turned down an application by the Singaporeans For Democracy (SFD) political association for a permit to stage a march on Friday to commemorate International Human Rights Day.

The association, which said it applied for the permit on Nov18, planned to hold the march from Hong Lim Park to Parliament House, less than 1km away.