[MyAppleMenu] Dec 5, 2010

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Dec 5 18:59:00 EST 2010

**** Apple Announces White iPhone 4 For ‘Spring 2011′ <http://www.9to5mac.com/40224/apple-announces-white-iphone-4-for-spring-2011?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+9To5Mac-MacAllDay+%289+to+5+Mac+-+Apple+Intelligence%29>
Seth Weintraub, 9 To 5 Mac

**** How The iPad Fired My Building Watchman! <http://therodinhoods.com/forum/topics/how-the-ipad-fired-my-building>
The Rodinhoods

Now, the magazine is streamed directly into my iPad – I download it first thing on Saturday morning! No more delays, watchmen, the Indian Government and neighbors to worry about.

**** Mac App Store: Soon But Controversial <http://www.mondaynote.com/2010/12/05/mac-app-store-soon-but-controversial/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+monday-note+%28Monday+Note%29>
Jean-Louis Gassée, Monday Note

And as for Steve Jobs’ controlling manners, who’s complaining? Customers, shareholders?

Oppressed employees?

**** Apple I BASIC As A Mac OS X Scripting Language <http://www.pagetable.com/?p=35>
Pagetable.com

**** The iPad And The Centenarian <http://www.macworld.com/article/156170/2010/12/centenarian_ipad.html?lsrc=rss_weblogs_ioscentral>
Christopher Breen, Macworld

And that—as much as the miracle of e-books for the aged—may best explain Lew’s 101st birthday present.

**** Star Struck <http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2010/12/milky-way/croswell-text>
Ken Croswell, Panoramic Composite Photograph By Wally Pacholka, National Geographic Magazine

It's hard to be modest when you live in the Milky Way.

**** Black Ballet: Pointe Break <http://www.guardian.co.uk/stage/2010/dec/04/black-ballet-cassa-pancho>
Hannah Pool, Guardian

Cira Robinson started "pancaking" her ballet shoes when she was 18: "I use foundation. The colour is Caribbean coffee – it's basic cheap make-up, but it works. Pointe shoes come only in the traditional pink, unless they're red for a show. It would look strange if there was a pink shoe at the end of a brown leg, so it helps with the line. My pointe shoes are brown because my skin is brown."

**** The Art Of Interruption <http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/05/opinion/05martin.html?_r=1&ref=opinion>
Steve Martin, New York Times

If the e-mailers could have lived with “I am unamused” for just a little longer, or had given us some understanding based on past performance, or even a little old-fashioned respect, something worthwhile, unusual or calamitous might have emerged. Who knows, maybe I would have ended up singing my novel.

**** Why You Should Be Watching Jimmy Kimmel <http://www.salon.com/entertainment/tv/jimmy_kimmel/index.html?story=/ent/tv/heather_havrilesky/2010/12/04/jimmy_kimmel_king_of_late_night>
Heather Havrilesky, Salon

Kimmel is the only host who will make you laugh out loud more than a few times per episode. He's got the sharpest monologue, the most interesting digressions and skits, and the best interviewing skills. Now that the dust has cleared, "The Tonight Show" doesn't look like a prize worth squabbling over, because, with or without the Cheesecake Factory backdrop, Jimmy Kimmel is the new Johnny Carson.

**** A Book Lover’s San Francisco <http://travel.nytimes.com/2010/12/05/travel/05SanFran.html?ref=travel>
Gregory Dicum, New York Times

Books, we are told, are a half-millennium-old technology on the cusp of being swept away forever. So a journey to San Francisco to immerse oneself in them might seem the cultural equivalent of going to visit the glaciers before they melt. But in San Francisco, the home of many of the very technologies that have drawn a bead on the book, visitors will find a living, historically rooted literary scene that, though it has surely heard the news of its own demise, isn’t buying it.

**** “In Singapore, People Of Different Ethnicities Feel They Belong And Fit In” Huh? <http://atans1.wordpress.com/2010/12/05/in-singapore-people-of-different-ethnicities-feel-they-belong-and-fit-in-huh/>
Thoughts of a Cynical Investor

**** ST And ‘Mental Illness’ Reporting – A Boo-boo Once Too Often? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2010/12/st-and-mental-illness-reporting-a-boo-boo-once-too-often/>
The Online Citizen

Is ST’s latest slip-up in reporting people suffering from mental illness without verifying an ‘honest mistake’, or is reflective of something more compulsive?

**** Income Inequality May Be Increasing Again <http://yawningbread.wordpress.com/2010/12/05/income-inequality-may-be-increasing-again/>
Yawning Bread

**** Attention In Next GE Will Be More Spread Out: George Yeo <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/1097363/1/.html>
Patwant Singh, Channel NewsAsia

Foreign affairs minister George Yeo thinks attention in the next General Election will be more spread out. That would be unlike the 2006 polls where the contest for the Aljunied GRC, where he led a 5-member PAP team against a team from the Workers' Party, became the centre of national attention.

**** Why The PAP’s pre-Election Budget Will Still Shortchange Singaporeans <http://votingrp.wordpress.com/2010/12/04/“singaporeans-to-gain-from-strong-government-revenue”-the-rps-response/>
Reform Party

The Reform Party would like to know why there is such a lack of transparency in the budgetary process and it is so difficult to get information as to the government’s true fiscal position.

Furthermore we want to know why the PAP always talks about the danger of bankrupting Singapore and no money being available to fund investment in our people when in fact the government’s net asset position is so inefficiently large.