[MyAppleMenu] Dec 7, 2010

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Dec 7 18:59:00 EST 2010

**** Mac 101: Adjusting Your Mouse And Trackpad Speed <http://www.tuaw.com/2010/12/06/mac-101-adjusting-your-mouse-and-trackpad-speed/>
Michael Jones, TUAW

**** TidBITS Gift Guide 2010 <http://db.tidbits.com/article/11749?rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+tidbits_main+%28TidBITS%3A+Mac+News+for+the+Rest+of+Us%29>
TidBITS

So this year, we’re emphasizing bits over atoms with a variety of recommendations from TidBITS staffers, focusing on virtual goods and services that don’t add more plastic and metal to the pile. That’s not to say that each of the recommendations below is entirely based on flittering electrons, but those that aren’t are listed with an eye toward improving our virtual lives.

**** Dragon Dictate 2.0 For Mac: The Ars Review <http://arstechnica.com/software/reviews/2010/12/dragon-dictate-20-for-mac-the-ars-review.ars?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=rss>
Nate Anderson, Ars Technica

Still, given the improvements that the new version brings, we remain optimists about voice recognition on the Mac. Dictate continues to get better, and this version is more robust than its predecessors (I noted only occasional crashes while testing). Recognition is phenomenal, and control is improving. Just know what you're getting—and what you need.

**** Create Local Hyperlinks In Numbers <http://www.macworld.com/article/156217/2010/12/numberslinkshint.html?lsrc=rss_main>
Dan Miller, Macworld

**** 26Th Annual Editors’ Choice Awards: The Complete List <http://www.macworld.com/article/155497/2010/12/26thannual_eddies.html?lsrc=rss_main>
Macworld

**** FontXChange Updates With Support For Web Formats <http://www.macworld.com/article/156246/2010/12/fontxchange.html?lsrc=rss_main>
Joel Mathis, Macworld

**** Pages ’09 Tip: Fixing Table Row Heights <http://www.betalogue.com/2010/12/07/pages09-rowheight/>
Pierre Igot, Betalogue

Instead of automatically adjusting the row height based on the height of the cell’s contents, Pages ’09 tries to outsmart me by assuming that, since the previous row needed more height, from now on I’ll need more height for all subsequent rows. It can be rather frustrating, especially when there are wild fluctuations in the length of text from row to row.

**** Dark Passages: 21st Century Sherlock Holmes <http://www.latimes.com/features/books/la-ca-dark-passages-20101203,0,6716941.story?track=rss&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+features%2Fbooks+%28Los+Angeles+Times+-+Books%29>
Sarah Weinman, Los Angeles Times

Writers — and readers — never tire of new invented stories of Conan Doyle's master detective. Graham Moore's 'The Sherlockian' is the latest, worthy addition to this tradition.

**** Enabling Integration <http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC101207-0000187/Enabling-integration>
Noel Chia Kok Hwee, Nanyang Technological University, Today

We must acknowledge that all Singaporeans with disabilities have every fundamental right to live and participate in every way in our community. In this sense, all daily activities should be as normalised as possible to integrate both abled as well as less abled or disabled participants.

**** The Issue Is Unsightly, Unconcealed NGNBN Cables <http://www.todayonline.com/Voices/EDC101207-0000195/The-issue-is-unsightly,-unconcealed-NGNBN-cables>
Gregory Moh, Today

OpenNet's public response to the matter - defending its actions and intentions rather than listening to the complaints and offering alternatives that homeowners and condominium management would be happy to consider - has been especially disappointing.

**** 配合商场重新发展 十里广场轻轨站周五起暂关闭一年 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp101207_008.shtml>
李静仪, 联合早报

配合十哩广场(Ten Mile Junction)的重新发展工程,位于这购物商场三楼的十里广场轻轨站将从这个星期五起,暂时关闭约一年。

**** 国籍风波 没正式宣誓而丢失公民权 原日籍青年拒付申请费仍无国籍 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp101207_020.shtml>
黄慧敏, 联合早报

放弃日本国籍并在本地服完兵役,青年却没有正式宣誓而丢失新加坡公民权。他虽然已重新提出公民权申请,但因为拒付100元申请费,目前还是无国籍者。

**** Looking Again At Streaming <http://asiancorrespondent.com/secret-blog/looking-again-at-streaming-mummy-knows-that-you-can-study>
Liau Chuan Yi And Norvin Chan, Asian Correspondent

Perhaps, the prejudice that some are simply unable to study is the root problem of poor student grades in the first place, and vocational schools will not be the final answer.

**** 组屋转售现金溢价继续下跌 <http://www.zaobao.com.sg/sp/sp101207_014.shtml>
李静仪, 联合早报

刚在不久前公开表示降温措施已取得初步成效的国家发展部长马宝山,在接受媒体访问时说,最新的数据显示,组屋转售价有进一步放缓的迹象。