[MyAppleMenu] May 24, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun May 24 18:59:01 EDT 2009

**** Re: Apple's iPhone Channels The Prudes -- "Pick A Little, Talk A Little!" <http://www.listbox.com/member/archive/247/2009/20090523192611:152025C8-47F1-11DE-8A6C-B0322BB133CC/>
by Pamela Jones, IP

I think what Apple is doing makes good legal sense. If you saw the recent litigation by Cartier against Apple, you see that people won't sue the 3rd party apps authors; they'll sue deep pocket Apple.

**** Apple Could Invest In N.C. <http://www.newsobserver.com/business/story/1539479.html>
by Jonathan B. Cox, The News & Observer

State lawmakers, who in recent years have been dazzled by Dell and gone ga-ga for Google, have discovered an affection for Apple. They're on the verge of changing tax law to entice the California computer company to invest $1 billion in the western part of the state.

**** Apple Changes It Mind, Accepts Eucalyptus App <http://www.macworld.com/article/140764/2009/05/eucalyptus.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Jonathan Seff, Macworld

**** The Coming Superbrain <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/24/weekinreview/24markoff.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
by John Markoff, New York Times

Today, artificial intelligence, once the preserve of science fiction writers and eccentric computer prodigies, is back in fashion and getting serious attention from NASA and from Silicon Valley companies like Google as well as a new round of start-ups that are designing everything from next-generation search engines to machines that listen or that are capable of walking around in the world. A.I.’s new respectability is turning the spotlight back on the question of where the technology might be heading and, more ominously, perhaps, whether computer intelligence will surpass our own, and how quickly.

**** How <i>Not</i> To Hire A Chef <http://www.washingtoncitypaper.com/display.php?id=37234>
by Tim Carman, Washington City Paper

Busboys & Poets owner Andy Shallal spent thousands on a contest to find the right chef. So why's the runner-up doing the cooking?

**** Singapore Fling <http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/life_and_style/food_and_drink/article6318750.ece>
by Lucas Hollweg, The Times

Food in the vibrant, bustling city of Singapore is more than mere sustenance — it’s a way of life. Welcome to foodie paradise.

**** Students Of Singapore Varsity Impress Rosmah <http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Sunday/National/2564956/Article/index_html>
by Bernama

The prime minister's wife, Datin Seri Rosmah Mansor, who visited the National University of Singapore (NUS) High School of Mathematics and Science on Friday, was impressed by the students' knowledge and ability in science and mathematics.

**** Najib's Bridging Initative With Singapore <http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Sunday/Columns/2564648/Article/index_html>
by Ahmad A. Talib, New Straits Times

Is this then the win-win formula that the two leaders were talking about? Each getting his way and yet not denying the other his say or desire. I'm not too sure if the idea of a third bridge had ever been broached before, but it has certainly raised eyebrows and set off renewed discussions on bridges, generally.

**** Malaysia-Singapore Ties Look Set To Bloom Again <http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2009/5/24/focus/3973420&sec=focus>
by Mergawati Zulfakar, The Star

**** 1989 - Lee Kuan Yew's Defamation Suit Against FEER <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2009/05/1989-lee-kuan-yew’s-defamation-suit-against-feer/>
by Nathaniel Koh, The Online Citizen

**** 10 Years - And Still No Public Transport Subsidy For Disabled <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2009/05/10-years-and-still-no-public-transport-subsidy-for-disabled/>
by Jonathan Koh, The Online Citizen

**** 华文二语教学法 新加坡是最大实验场 <http://www.zaobao.com/edu/pages4/edunews090524.shtml>
by 潘星华, 联合早报

双语政策使新加坡拥有世界最庞大的华文为第二语文教学实验场,新加坡华文教研中心的成立,就是抓牢了这个独有的条件和优势,在大力提高国内华文教师的语文能力、文化底蕴和教学法之后,再以新加坡华文二语教学的品牌,走向区域,走向世界。

**** 柔东居民:欢迎建桥连接新加坡 <http://www.zaobao.com/yx/yx090524_503.shtml>
by 联合早报

马来西亚首相纳吉提出在柔佛东部建造衔接新加坡的大桥之后,官方新闻社马新社访问当地居民,居民纷纷对这个计划表示欢迎。

**** Third Bridge Likely To Boost Industry In East Johor <http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2009/5/24/nation/3973326&sec=nation>
by The Star

The third proposed link between Malaysia and Singapore in east Johor has received good feedback from the tourism industry in Desaru.

**** Singapore - The Third Bridge <http://blog.thestar.com.my/permalink.asp?id=23702>
by The Star

A third bridge to Singapore should only considered if the government is completely satisfied if its citizens are all above the poverty level and if all the infrastructures and needs of its people have been met. Looking at the numerous complaints and grouses around, they are not.

**** The Third Link - From A Defence View Point <http://mindnoevil.blogspot.com/2009/05/third-link-from-defence-view-point.html>
by Mind No Evil

**** Building Bridges... <http://rights2write.wordpress.com/2009/05/23/building-bridges…/>
by rights2write

I do not see the logic for us to build a third link with Singapore. It will benefit them. It will benefit their air travel, goods and services industry. Instead of strengthening our own services, we are giving them the advantage to them. We are pound foolish and penny wise.