[MyAppleMenu] May 6, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Wed May 6 18:59:00 EDT 2009

**** Solve An Obscure Back To My Mac Issue <http://www.macworld.com/article/140409/2009/05/btmmfix.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Rob Griffiths, Macworld

**** Accessing Network Media With Boxee, Plex, And XBMC <http://www.macworld.com/article/140413/2009/05/media_center_shared_network_media.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Christopher Breen, Macworld

Because playing networked content can be a head-scratcher I thought I’d run through the steps for configuring each of these applications.

**** The Future Of Internet TV (In America) <http://www.cringely.com/2009/05/the-future-of-internet-tv-in-america/>
by I, Cringely

Follow the money.

**** Apple Sued Over Reputed Fire Hazard Of MagSafe Power Adapter <http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2009/05/apple-sued-over-reputed-fire-hazard-of-magsafe-power-adapter.ars>
by Chris Foresman, Ars Technica

A class action lawsuit filed last week claims Apple has been negligent in dealing with a known flaw in its MagSafe power adapters. A problem with fraying wires, says the suit, is a dangerous fire hazard.

**** Apple To Replace Water-Damaged iPhones For $199 <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/05/05/apple_to_replace_water_damaged_iphones_for_199.html>
by Slash Lane, AppleInsider

Careless iPhone owners who've submerged their handsets in some form of liquid can now take Apple up on an unadvertised policy that offers replacements for a flat fee of $199.

**** Big Kindle, Little Phone: Which Will It Be? <http://steveouting.com/2009/05/05/big-kindle-little-phone-which-will-it-be/>
by Steve Outing

For me, the iPhone changed my life, and for the first time in my life I have an organization system that I regularly use and is always with me. The reason is simple enough: My iPhone is always with me (even on a mountain bike ride miles away from cell service).

**** Apple, Opera Slammed Over Browser Patch Regimes <http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9132578&source=rss_null123>
by Jeremy Kirk, IDG News Service

Apple and Opera lag behind Google and Mozilla when it comes to distributing Web browser updates due to how they've structured their patch programs, according to new research.

**** PopCap Launches Plants Vs. Zombies On Macs <http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/popcap_launches_plants_vs._zombies_on_macs/>
by Brad Cook, The Mac Observer

PopCap on Tuesday released Plants vs. Zombies, a humorous action-strategy game in the "tower defense" vein for Mac and PC. Players stop an army of marauding zombies from overwhelming their pristine front yards by purchasing and planting a wide range of flowers, vines, trees, and other flora with various types of zombie-fighting abilities.

**** Luxor 3 Adds 140 New Levels Of Gameplay <http://www.macnn.com/articles/09/05/05/luxor.3.released/>
by MacNN

MumboJumbo has released an update to its Mac game, Luxor 3, which features 140 new levels of gameplay. The latest version also features a new reflector to bounce the game balls on.

**** Apple Yanks Incriminating Advertisement <http://features.csmonitor.com/innovation/2009/05/05/apple-yanks-incriminating-advertisement/>
by Matthew Shaer, The Christian Science Monitor

**** 10 iPhone Apps For Foodies <http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2346549,00.asp>
by Wendy Sheehan Donnell, PC Magazine

Hungry? We've scoured the App Store to bring you the most satisfying food-centric apps.

**** AT&T Finally Releases What Should Have Been The First iPhone App <http://www.mobilecrunch.com/2009/05/05/att-finally-releases-what-should-have-been-the-first-iphone-app/>
by MG Siegler, MobileCrunch

It allows users to view and pay their wireless bills from the iPhone. You can also see your current usage and add or remove features from your plan.

**** Commander: Napoleon At War <http://www.macworld.com/article/131913/2009/05/commander_napoleon.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Chris Holt, Macworld

Commander: Napoleon at War is for dedicated strategy fans that have a passion for history, engrossing (and long) engagements and don’t mind seeing the exposed seams in the game’s fabric. The exceedingly stupid enemy AI and strange tactical limitations handicap what otherwise is a strong combination of historical accuracy and easy-to-learn strategic fun.

**** Take Control Of Your Dock(s) With DragThing <http://theweeklyreview.ca/2009/05/06/dragthing-review/>
by Chris Bowler, The Weekly Review

Dock usage is so varied from user to user that it’s inevitable that the default OS X Dock does not meet everyone’s needs and is often criticized. Your Dock needs may be completely different than what I’ve described above in my own setup. But with DragThing, you have the ability and customization available to create the Dock(s) that fits just right with the way you use your Mac.

**** Social Networking For Terrorists <http://esciencenews.com/articles/2009/05/04/social.networking.terrorists>
by e! Science News

A new approach to analyzing social networks, reported in the current issue of the International Journal of Services Sciences, could help homeland security find the covert connections between the people behind terrorist attacks

**** Bipolar Disorder <http://www.slate.com/id/2217426/?from=rss>
by Tim Wu, Slate

The magnetic appeal of the poles.

**** Turkey Burgers Don't Count <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/06/dining/06burg.html?partner=rss&emc=rss>
by Jodi Rudoren, New York Times

Mr. Weiss, 33, operations manager for a software company, is the founder and de facto leader of the Burger of the Month Club, or BOTM (which he and his friends pronounce “bottom”). One Monday a month for the last four years, they have sampled a burger — bacon-cheddar whenever available — at a different New York restaurant.

**** Absolutely Moronic To Reduce Train Frequency In Event Of Flu Outbreak <http://www.sgpolitics.net/?p=2919>
by Ng E-Jay, Sgpolitics.net

Rather than reducing train frequencies in response to manpower requirements, SMRT should instead hire more staff. After all, isn’t this supposed to be a recession with retrenchment at multi-year highs? Aren’t there supposed to be people out there looking for jobs?

**** The Government's Strategic Intervention In The Aware Saga <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2009/05/the-government’s-strategic-intervention-in-the-aware-saga/>
by PN Balji, The Online Citizen

We saw what I would call strategic intervention by government leaders, from DPM Teo Chee Hean downwards, drawing some kind of out-of-bound markers. Don’t push your views too hard, don’t forget we are a secular society and go for a “rainbow coalition” approach to settle issues.

**** Singapore Inching Up Press Freedom Chart With Gabon <http://www.pressrun.net/weblog/2009/05/singapore-moving-up-press-freedom-league-with-gabon.html>
by Blowin' In The Wind

**** What I Took Away From 2 May <http://siewkumhong.blogspot.com/2009/05/what-i-took-away-from-2-may.html>
by Siew Kum Hong

I saw the result as an affirmation of the values that we hold dear (openness, transparency, inclusiveness, diversity and secularism) and a rejection of those that, well, we should not (dishonesty, non-transparency, exclusiveness, intolerance, divisiveness and oppression/bullying).

**** Cafes Within Libraries Offer Cosy Environment <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Online%2BStory/STIStory_372786.html>
by Tay Ai Cheng, National Library Board, Straits Times

The cafes within our public libraries provide a cosy environment for library visitors who want to read while enjoying a drink and a quick bite. This is also convenient for those who require easy and quick access to refreshments without having to leave the library.

This is an example of how the National Library Board, in its desire to attract new customers, totally ignored the core and loyal customers.

**** Applicant-Unfriendly Singapore <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_372887.html>
by Ruchika Tulshyan, Straits Times

We aim to make Singapore an international financial hub, yet are lacking in very simple procedures that even the smallest companies overseas adhere to - sourcing for and looking after talent.

**** The &quot;Upgrading Carrot&quot;: Abuse Of State Resources By The PAP To Perptuate Its Own Political Hegemony <http://wayangparty.com/?p=8172>
by Eugene Yeo, The Wayang Party Club

All tax-paying citizens of Singapore who contribute yearly to the government’s coffers are entitled to upgrading of their flats. HDB is not owned by the PAP and neither do the upgrading funds come from the PAP’s treasury.

In other countries, the citizens will have taken to the streets to protest against the injustice which may even culminate in a class action suit against the government for abusing its position of authority and misapproportion of state resources.

**** Boy Arrested For Slamming Chair At MP Office <http://singaporemind.blogspot.com/2009/05/boy-arrested-for-slamming-chair-at-mp.html>
by Diary Of A Singaporean Mind

I wonder what we gain out of making needy people in our society seek aid this way : cutting it into small little pieces and making poor people go all over the place to make multiple requests from many different agencies.

**** ERP闸门成为纪念品独特“标志” <http://www.zaobao.com/sp/sp090506_521.shtml>
by 李静仪, 联合早报

公路电子收费(ERP)闸门已成为本地独特的“标志”之一,好一些网民喜欢以ERP作为“创作”灵感。

**** Don't Skirt The Issue By Shielding Children <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/318196.asp>
by Joseph Wong, Today

The fact remains that homosexuality exists, whether or not you prevent your children from learning about it through sanctioned talks and discussions.

In fact, you should be thankful that your children are learning about it from experienced professionals and not from misinformed sources.

**** Josie Might Not Advise New Exco <http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/news/story/0,4136,201051,00.html>
by Benson Ang, New Paper

The new exco of the Association of Women for Action and Research (Aware) has not decided whether to invite deposed president Ms Josie Lau, 48, back as an adviser.

But, if Ms Lau is not invited back, it would be against Aware's constitution.

**** AWARE And The Secular Conscience <http://www.scholaratlarge.com/?p=389>
by Scholar At Large

Ultimately, by adding to the diversity of moral opinions expressed, it would also strengthen the arguments for a secular State and society - one which is equidistant to all faith-based (or non-faith-based) worldviews. This benefits the religious and the areligious alike, and is something which the latter should have a particular interest in maintaining.

**** Test-Bedding Of Electric Vehicles In Singapore From 2010 <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/427272/1/.html>
by 938 Live

A multi-agency taskforce chaired by the Energy Market Authority and Land Transport Authority has been set up to spearhead the test-bedding of electric vehicles (EVs) in Singapore from 2010.

**** LTA Awards S$368 Million Contract For 22 New Trains <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/427284/1/.html>
by 938 Live

The trains are scheduled to be progressively delivered to Singapore from 2011 till 2012.

**** The Future Of Singapore's Feminism <http://www.glass-castle.org/blog/2009/05/future-of-singapores-feminism.html>
by Glass Castle

One of the many reasons why I considered the Thio-inspired interlopers to be ideologically alien from the founding mission of AWARE is that they never gave any real indication of understanding the idea of structural discrimination.

**** Low-Tax Countries Angry At Obama's Reforms <http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/a4f67b66-39d7-11de-b82d-00144feabdc0.html?nclick_check=1>
by Vanessa Houlder and Michael Steen, Financial Times

The proposed US crackdown on corporate tax avoidance has provoked an angry response from low-tax countries used heavily by the multinationals that are the target of the Obama administration's reforms.

The US administration, in publishing the plan on Monday, highlighted the Cayman Islands, Bermuda, the Netherlands and Ireland. The US proposals are also likely to be felt in Luxembourg, Switzerland and Singapore where profits reported by US subsidiaries often appear disproportionately high, given the size of those countries.

**** 享受新加坡的水 <http://tjmwxq.blog.163.com/blog/static/7343445620094661340386/>
by 刘敏, tjmwxq的博客

新加坡是一个花园城市,街道干净,树木和各种植物郁郁葱葱。然而给我留下最深印象的,还是在新加坡饮水让我感到很舒服,很享受。

**** Singapore Central Bank Says Policy Shift To Mitigate Shocks <http://www.forbes.com/feeds/afx/2009/05/06/afx6383340.html>
by Nopporn Wong-Anan, Forbes

Singapore's monetary policy easing last month was a 'measured' response to a sharp drop in demand and the ensuing deep recession that hit the trade dependent economy, the central bank said on Wednesday.

**** MOE Statement On Sexuality Education Programme <http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/singapore-education/press/~3/3BJxSXuD5LQ/moes-statement-on-sexuality-ed.php>
by Ministry Of Education, Singapore Government

In recent weeks, the Ministry of Education (MOE) has received feedback on the Sexuality Education Programme conducted by AWARE, as well as other lesson material not involving AWARE. MOE has done a thorough investigation. This statement presents the Ministry’s findings and future steps.

**** Aware Sex Guide Suspended <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_373200.html>
by Straits Times

The Ministry of Education (MOE) has suspended the sexuality education programme run by the Association of Women for Action and Research (Aware) in some schools, saying it does not conform to the MOE's guidelines. In particular, MOE found some suggested responses in the guide 'too explicit and inappropriate, and convey messages which could promote homosexuality or suggest approval of pre-marital sex.

**** Singapore To Lower Flu Alert To Yellow Over Next Five Days <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/427342/1/.html>
by Channel NewsAsia

Singapore said Wednesday it will lower its alert level for the A(H1NI) flu next Monday if the current situation remains, as the new strain of influenza A(H1N1) virus appears milder than originally feared.

Authorities, however, will maintain temperature checks at the airport, sea ports and land border while passengers arriving from Mexico would still be placed under quarantine, the health ministry said in a statement.

**** Labour Chief Says Firms Shouldn't Adopt "Retrench And Hire" Approach <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/427333/1/.html>
by Zaki Amrullah, Channel NewsAsia

Labour chief Lim Swee Say called on companies to look at ways to manage costs and retain their existing manpower.

He said: "At the company level, you're going to lose a lot of experience, a lot of skill, and most importantly, you're going to lose a lot of time because it takes time to hire new workers and to retrain new workers."