[MyAppleMenu] May 5, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue May 5 18:59:00 EDT 2009

**** Chinese iPhone Apps Expand As Apple Seeks Deal <http://www.macworld.com/article/140382/2009/05/appstore_china.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Owen Fletcher, IDG News Service

A growing number of Chinese iPhone applications let users trawl through maps, look up English words and check stock quotes, even though the smartphone has not been approved for use in China by the country’s telecommunications regulatory authority.

There are, of course, many iPhone-bearing people outside of China that read and speak and write Chinese. And some of them might also be interested in Chinese programming from CCTV.

**** Debitinator 3 Debt Management App Adds Transaction Ledger <http://www.macworld.com/article/140385/2009/05/debtinator.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld

Debitnator generates payment plans to help you deal with your debt in optimal fashion. New in version 3, Debtinator adds a transaction ledger to help you track financial activity you’ve already made.

**** Apple v. EFF: The iPhone Jailbreaking Showdown <http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2009/05/apple-v-eff-the-iphone-jailbreaking-showdown/>
by David Kravets, Wired

At stake for Apple is the very closed business model Apple has enjoyed since 2007, when the iPhone debuted.

On the other hand, Apple has never had its business plan rely on the argument that jailbreaking is illegal.

**** MacBooks Sweep Consumer Reports Laptop Ratings <http://www.macworld.com/article/140395/2009/05/consumer_reports.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Dan Moren, Macworld

The MacBooks bested their competitors, despite the lower cost of many of the Windows machines rated.

**** A Closer Look At EA's 'Tiger Woods PGA Tour' <http://toucharcade.com/2009/05/04/a-closer-look-at-eas-tiger-woods-pga-tour/>
by Blake Patterson, TouchArcade

**** Apple's Cash Reserves Offer No Hint Of Future Plans <http://www.eweek.com/c/a/Mobile-and-Wireless/Apples-Cash-Reserves-Offer-No-Hint-of-Future-Plans-521885/?kc=rss>
by Reuters

Apple Inc has nearly $29 billion of cash on hand, a pile of money exceeded at only one other tech company, but if the past is any guide stockholders aren't likely to share in the wealth any time soon.

Apple, spend some of it in searching and hiring good people.

**** Apple Hints App Store Rules May Loosen With iPhone OS 3.0 <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/05/04/apple_hints_app_store_rules_may_loosen_with_iphone_os_3_0.html>
by Aidan Malley, AppleInsider

Following the rejection of an iPhone app for content the developer didn't produce itself, Apple has given signs it may allow more risque software on the App Store once iPhone OS 3.0 and its enhanced parental locks become a reality.

Will there be a 'we-have-not-review-this use-at-your-own-risk' rating?

**** Apple And Google Ties Investigated <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/05/technology/companies/05apple.html>
by Miguel Helft and Brad Stone, New York Times

The Federal Trade Commission has begun an inquiry into whether the close ties among the boards of two of technology’s most prominent companies, Apple and Google, amounts to a violation of antitrust laws, according to several people briefed on the inquiry.

Apple and Google share two directors, Eric E. Schmidt, the chief executive of Google, and Arthur Levinson, the former chief executive of Genentech. The Clayton Antitrust Act of 1914 prohibits a person’s presence on the board of two rival companies when it would reduce competition between them.

**** Evidence Points To 3G Radios In MacBooks, Tablets? <http://blogs.computerworld.com/evidence_points_to_3g_radios_in_macbooks_tablets>
by Seth Weintraub, Computerworld

What is clear is that Apple is testing 3G wireless hardware in new Apple CPU products in the Mac group. And if they are in hurry-up "time pressure and stress" software QA mode at this point, it means that we'll see some hardware relatively soon.

**** Antitrust Investigation Of Apple And Google Connections Doesn't Add Up <http://cultofmac.com/antitrust-investigation-of-apple-and-google-connections-doesnt-add-up/10462>
by Pete Mortensen, Cult Of Mac

Out here, it’s only natural that you would simultaneously compete and collaborate. You share secrets and then try to use them against each other. It’s in the DNA here. But the law, as they, is blind.

**** FileMaker Releases Bento For iPhone, Bento 2.0v4 <http://www.macnn.com/articles/09/05/05/bento.for.iphone.debuts/>
by MacNN

Ahead of what is expected to be the official release later today, FileMaker has updated its Bento 2.0v4 software with stability fixes, performance enhancements, and other changes along with a iPhone version of its Bento database application.

**** Companies Shed Initial Resistance To iPhone <http://www.businessweek.com/technology/content/may2009/tc2009054_744579.htm?chan=top+news_top+news+index+-+temp_top+story>
by Rachael King, BusinessWeek

Despite such worries as data security, IT staffs are beginning to support Apple's device—especially if the CEO starts carrying one.

**** 11 Ways To Sync Your Data With An iPhone <http://www.macworld.com/article/140251/2009/05/iphone_syncing_stunts.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Christopher Breen, Dan Frakes, Macworld

Can your data appear in two places at once? With a little sleight of hand and the help of some smart apps, you can access your calendar, your files, and even your Mac’s desktop from just about anywhere.

**** Why Firefox Is My Preferred Browser <http://www.macworld.com/article/140404/2009/05/preferfirefox.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Rob Griffiths, Macworld

For the way I use the Web, Firefox’s URL handling (along with its add-ons) makes it my preferred browser.

**** SousChef 1.2 Cooks Up Metric Conversions, Adds Recipes <http://www.macworld.com/article/140400/2009/05/souschef_wants_to_help_in_the_kitchen.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Kate Marshall, Macworld

**** Linking To A Remote Village, Via iPod <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/05/business/05flier.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
by Jaume Tapies and Joan Raymond, New York Times

Apparently, she had never seen an iPod, and once I explained what it was, she was absolutely fascinated and entranced by the technology. When I told her to place the buds in her ears, she broke out into a beautiful smile, just like a child on Christmas morning.

Take that, you music-sharing Zunes.

**** Moving Data Around The Clouds <http://www.technologyreview.com/computing/22586/>
by Kate Greene, MIT Technology Review

A startup hopes to make it easier to hop between cloud-computing services.

**** Go Ahead. Spoil My Appetite. <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/05/03/books/review/Nicholson-t.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss>
by Geoff Nicholson, New York Times

>From “Moby-Dick” to “Naked Lunch” to “Gravity’s Rainbow,” bad eating makes for good reading.

**** Mommy, What's A Vagina? <http://www.salon.com/mwt/feature/2009/05/05/katherine_ozment/index.html>
by Katherine Ozment, Salon

One minute I'm cleaning up Legos with my 3-year-old daughter. The next minute I'm conducting an impromptu anatomy lesson and desperately hoping not to flub it.

**** How To Win AN EOGM And Losta Friends <http://groundnotes.wordpress.com/2009/05/04/how-to-win-an-eogm-and-lotsa-friends/>
by Groundnotes

At the end of the day, when Josie and Kittycats look back, they would do well to realise that they’ve been arrogant, misguided and utterly intolerant. But unfortunately, as with all folks who believe they are doing God’s work on earth, they’ll think that the sinners of Singapore are hardened of heart and just aren’t ready to embrace the word of God. Amen.

Agree to disagree, and the courage to protect those who disagree, is a hallmark of a democratic leadership.

**** Reducing Train Frequency Because Of H1N1? That's Ridiculous! <http://geraldgiam.sg/2009/05/reducing-train-frequency-because-of-h1n1-thats-ridiculous/>
by Gerald Giam

That would surely be a formula for an even more rapid spread of the flu, should anyone of the 8 persons per square metre of train space happen to sneeze or cough.

Didn't we just provide cash to companies so that their hiring cost is not that great? Go hire more people lah, SMRT.

**** Who Is Responsible? Who Is Paying The Price? <http://feedmetothefish.blogspot.com/2009/05/who-is-responsible-who-is-paying-price.html>
by Feed Me To The Fish

**** Sushi Prankster Says Sorry After 2 Years <http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,200945,00.html?>
by Crystal Chan, New Paper

The person who recently uploaded a YouTube video of himself tampering with sushi before returning it to the conveyor belt is believed to have apologised.

**** Remark By Pastor Cause For Concern, Notwithstanding Apology <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Online%2BStory/STIStory_372332.html>
by Lee Swee Mei, Straits Times

If Pastor Hong is truly regretful, a simple phrase of 'I am sorry I made those remarks' would have been much more humble than 'I stand corrected', as remarks that cause religious disharmony can have far-reaching and dire consequences.

We have created leaders that are even too coward to apologise.

**** Debate Still Raging In Cyberspace <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/317963.asp>
by Esther Ng, Today

The Reach portal has received about 50 postings about Aware’s Comprehensive Sexuality Education (CSE) programme, most of them critical.

**** Did Civil Society Really Win? <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/317925.asp>
by Cheong Hui Hui, Today

The new exco were not able to give answers.

The new exco had one full month at the least, including on national televison, to give answers. They haven't.

**** ST Ploy Using The Aware Saga To Justify Shameless PAP Gerrymandering Via The GRC <http://wayangparty.com/?p=8963>
by Eugene Yeo, The Wayang Party Club

**** Protect The Singaporean Worker! <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2009/05/protect-the-singaporean-worker/>
by The Online Citizen

**** Political Parallels Of The AWARE Saga <http://www.yoursdp.org/index.php/component/content/article/2330-political-parallels-of-the-aware-saga>
by Singapore Democrats

What happened on Saturday is what democracy is about. It is also what is tragically lacking in Singapore.

**** Embassy Upset Over Visa Rule <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_372596.html>
by Kimberly Spkykerman, Straits Times

The Mexican Embassy has raised concerns about Singapore's decision to impose a temporary visa requirement on all Mexican nationals in view of the flu outbreak.

**** Speak Out And Stand Up! <http://www.valska.com/wp/?p=1226>
by As My Life Is

**** AWARE风波 新执委开工第一天…… <http://www.zaobao.com/sp/sp090505_515.shtml>
by 王润 刘慧芬, 联合早报

蓝玉娇说,整个过程对她来说很重要,她说:“我不是一个最有自信的人,但我认为我应该把自己放在一边,做些什么。这个过程也是自我反省的过程,我有责任教育我自己,也从中受益匪浅,希望我所得的收获可以传给更多女性。”

**** AWARE风波 为什么会员登记后 立即就有投票权? <http://www.zaobao.com/sp/sp090505_514.shtml>
by 王润 刘慧芬, 联合早报

新掌权的AWARE会长蓝玉娇昨天受访时说,章程早该修改,包括只允许入会已至少一年的会员才能被选入执委。但章程还没来得及生效,就发生了执委会“夺权”风波。

**** Singapore Most Vulnerable <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_372620.html>
by Straits Times

A study of 90 countries by Nomura International rates Singapore as the most vulnerable to economic damage to a pandemic.

**** Scheme To Avoid Bankruptcy <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_372632.html>
by Diana Othman, Straits Times

A debtor with debts of less than $100,000 may be referred by the High Court to be considered for the Debt Repayment Scheme to avoid bankruptcy. It is a non court-based approach that gives the debtor an opportunity to pay off his debts over a period of time, and helps him from losing his job as a result of bankruptcy, said a statement from the law ministry on Tuesday.

**** A Coming Of Age For Civil Society <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/317924.asp>
by Loh Chee Kong, Today

The Aware saga dispelled the notion that some topics are taboo in Singapore &mdash; that differences are best discussed behind closed doors, in hushed tones, or worse, swept under the carpet.

The women of Aware have shown that Singaporeans are capable of not only passionately fighting for their views, but also knowing when to back down. This was, perhaps, because the Government, to its credit, stayed largely out of the picture.

**** A Tale Of Two Communities <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/317942.asp>
by Simon Tay, Today

The Aware saga shows that citizens now relate to each other directly and not only to the government. Singapore is no longer a vertical society, but one with horizontal links.

**** Protesters To Stage Rally Outside Singapore Embassy <http://www.antara.co.id/en/arc/2009/5/5/protesters-to-stage-rally-outside-singapore-embassy/>
by Antara

A group of protesters calling themselves a team for the care of the David Hartanto Widjaja case, will stage a rally in front of the Singapore Embassy here on Tuesday.

**** The Myth Of The Lazy Native <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2009/05/the-myth-of-the-lazy-native/>
by The Online Citizen

The government’s views on the unemployment situation might be too sanguine.