[MyAppleMenu] May 7, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu May 7 18:59:01 EDT 2009

**** Bank Of America Still Not Ready For iPhone <http://www.macworld.com/article/140442/2009/05/bankofamerica_iphone.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Matt Hamblen, Computerworld

Bank of America runs a mobile banking application on the iPhone smartphone, but the bank does not allow its many employees to use it at work, a bank official said at the Go Mobile 2009 in San Francisco.

Their biggest concern is that the bank can’t centrally manage the iPhone as easily as it can BlackBerry devices from Research in Motion, said Jamie Young, vice president of enterprise technology for Bank of America.

**** L.A. Times News Reader For iPhone <http://www.macworld.com/article/140417/2009/05/latimesreader.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Ben Boychuk, Macworld

Newspaper’s mobile app looks amateurish.

Totally agree, this app is not usable for someone who is standing in a bus reading on the iPhone on one hand while the other hand is holding on for his dear life.

**** Capturing Video Over HDMI <http://www.macworld.com/article/140454/2009/05/capture_hdmi.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Christopher Breen, Macworld

**** Wild West Pinball For iPhone <http://www.macworld.com/article/140364/2009/05/wildwestpinball.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Jeff Phillips, Macworld

Pinball wizzards and novices will enjoy this fun, eye-catching game.

**** Prediction: Apple Will Recommend Security Software <http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-10234535-83.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
by Jon Oitsik, CNET

As an analyst, it is my job to follow the industry, internalize trends, and then use this information to make predictions. OK, here goes: Within the next 18 months, Apple will begin recommending that Macintosh users install Internet security software on all systems.

Actually, if such a need arises, I expect Apple to build security into the operating system, and customers still do not need to install additional security software.

**** Six Things I Learned From Losing My iPhone 3G <http://www.tuaw.com/2009/05/05/six-things-i-learned-from-losing-my-iphone-3g/>
by Steven Sande, The Unofficial Apple Weblog

**** Quickoffice Brings Editing To iPhones, But Put It On Hold <http://ptech.allthingsd.com/20090506/quickoffice-brings-editing-to-iphones-but-put-it-on-hold/?mod=ATD_rss>
by Walter S. Mossberg, Wall Street Journal

Quickoffice is an OK start, but it needs a lot of work.

**** T-Mobile Provides iPhone Support Despite Not Offering iPhone <http://consumerist.com/5243325/t+mobile-provides-iphone-support-despite-not-offering-iphone>
by Alex Chasick, The Consumerist

Supporting a phone they don't offer and awarding a service credit? Well done, T-Mobile.

**** Are Mobile Web Browsers Even Necessary? <http://www.brighthand.com/default.asp?newsID=15178&editorial=Mobile+Web+Browser>
by Brighthand

I mean, for all that we are using mobile devices to do, browsing actually seems to be the least pleasurable task. So why do we harp about with different mobile browsers? Are we missing the mobile paradigm of use completely?

**** Watching Hulu (And Much More) On Your Apple TV <http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/watching_hulu_and_much_more_on_your_apple_tv/>
by Ted Landau, The Mac Observer

**** iTunes: Prices Up, Revenue Down? <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/05/06/itunes_variable_pricing/>
by Andrew Orlowski, The Register

**** Peggle Nights <http://www.insidemacgames.com/reviews/view.php?ID=1048>
by Michael Scarpelli, Inside Mac Games

A game this well-crafted with such a clear focus on provided an extended and extensible gameplay experience for the gamer is well worth purchasing.

**** 7 Surprising Uses For The iPhone's Camera <http://www.macworld.com/article/140435/2009/05/iphone_photo_tips.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Kelly Turner, Macworld

These days, a 2-megapixel camera may not seem like much. But add Web access, a pocket-size Mac, and third-party apps to the mix, and presto! That humble camera is now a personal assistant and digital artist in one. Here are just a few of the ways you can extend your camera.

**** Ning Opens Up More To Developers <http://news.cnet.com/8301-13577_3-10234883-36.html?tag=newsEditorsPicksArea.0>
by Caroline McCarthy, CNET

**** Unmasking Social-Network Users <http://www.technologyreview.com/web/22593/>
by Erica Naone, MIT Technology Review

Researchers find a way to identify individuals in supposedly anonymous social-network data.

**** Creative Minds: The Links Between Mental Illness And Creativity <http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/health-and-wellbeing/features/creative-minds-the-links-between-mental-illness-and-creativity-1678929.html>
by Roger Dobson, The Independent

All too often, creativity goes hand in hand with mental illness. Now we're starting to understand why.

**** AWARE's Comprehensive Sexuality Education (CSE): Re Homosexuality, Anal Sex, Pre-Marital Sex <http://mathialee.wordpress.com/2009/05/06/awares-comprehensive-sexuality-education-cse-re-homosexuality/>
by Mathia Lee

Frankly, the instructor’s manual was confidential for a reason – you had to go through the training, and understand the values.

Security through obscurity?

**** Thoughts From The New Media Seminar 2009 (For The Singapore Civil Service) <http://ramblinglibrarian.blogspot.com/2009/05/thoughts-from-new-media-seminar-2009.html>
by Ivan Chew, Rambling Librarian

>From the speeches by the head civil service and the permanent secretary, and hearing first-hand the thinking behind the other agencies' new media efforts, I walked away convinced that the Singapore Civil Service is serious about using New Media for e-engagement.

**** No Grant For A-Level Plays <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_373290.html>
by Tara Tan, Straits Times

Two plays which are A-level literature texts have been given an advisory of 'some coarse language' by the Media Development Authority.

The Tote Board should go ahead and do the right thing by making an exception.

**** Volunteer Tells Why Aware's EGM Turned Raucous <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Online%2BStory/STIStory_373271.html>
by Pamela Oei, Straits Times

Ms Lau's team's actions set the tone for the EGM, the crowd did not. This 'unbecoming behaviour', which Ms Tan described as 'disquieting and disgusting', was not 'bitchiness' as she claimed. This was passion.

**** Singapore To Refine Islamic Finance Rules To Boost Industry <http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601080&sid=apQCIqtSSU80&refer=asia>
by Shamim Adam, Bloomberg

The Monetary Authority of Singapore said it plans to refine its Islamic finance regulations to boost the industry, betting demand will grow as investors seek alternative assets.

**** I Guess It's Time That Malaysia Learns From Singapore <http://blog.thestar.com.my/permalink.asp?id=23230>
by The Star

I guess it's time that we throw our ego-centric that we are a bigger country, and start learning from them. Period.

**** Different Talents Needed <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_373476.html>
by Yang Hui Wen, Straits Times

Singapore needs people with a sense of the aesthetics and not just people who get straight As in school, said minister mentor Lee Kuan Yew.

**** Job Satisfaction - Inadequate Measures To Protect Workers <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2009/05/job-satisfaction-inadequate-measures-to-protect-workers/>
by Tan Kin Lian, The Online Citizen

There are inadequate measures to protect the living standards of the workers – i.e. no minimum wage and the freedom for employers to set the employment terms. The trade unions in Singapore are perceived to be cooperative and pro-employer and are not looking after the interests of the workers.

**** Sportsmanship Applies To Administrators, Too <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/318431.asp>
by M Lukshumayeh, Today

I noticed these same administrators bathe in this glorious sporting moment yet they deny all members of the truly deserving team their rightful accolade.

**** Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew On Population Growth <http://sgentropy.blogspot.com/2009/05/minister-mentor-lee-kuan-yew-on.html>
by Singapore Peak Oil

So the question to ask, why does Singapore continue to pursue those very policies of economic and population expansion which will only lead to self-destruction due to the over-exploitation of the earth's resources?

**** 新加坡经济与中国文化 <http://www.chinamyhosting.com/seoblog/2009/05/07/chinese-culture/>
by 搜索引擎优化SEO每天一贴

**** 马新的媒体印象 <http://www.nanyang.com/index.php?ch=29&pg=26&ac=956909>
by 卢律融, 南洋商报

把一个国家的缺点,置于放大镜下过度地扩大和集中报道,不只违背了报道精神,而且也造成了变相的两国战争。这种媒体战,发生在两个兄弟之邦之间,造成一种既尴尬又诡异的气氛。明明就是了解对方国家的状况,但是翻开报纸之际,看到的却全是负面新闻,就好象在外面不停地听到有关家人的负面谣言,回到家看到家人时,那种戛然而起既熟悉又陌生的感觉一样。

**** Stop Feeding The Fear Mongers <http://defragment.me/thoughts/stop-feeding-the-fear-mongers>
by Defragment.Me

I am not afraid to be judged if judgment day comes because I hold nothing but truth and love. On the contrary, am not so sure about the ones who incite fear and hatred. I therefore hope that one day love can open their eyes to God's unconditional and non-judgmental love.

**** 浙江女孩为什么能拿到20万元新加坡巨额奖学金 <http://news.china.com.cn/chinanet/07news/china.cgi?docid=2359640054202321952,7652075280270593985,755143341520901095,7652075280270593985,0&server=202.108.4.70&port=5269>
by 浙江在线

浙江女孩李琰,出身普通工薪家庭,目前留学新加坡。她就读新加坡最好的公立名校——新加坡管理大学(简称SMU)。小妮子更了不起的是,从大一开始,每年都获得约20万元人民币的奖学金。

**** No Reconciliation In Sight, Says New AWARE President <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/427567/1/.html>
by Claire Huang, 938 Live

The Old Guard and the recently ousted exco of the Association of Women for Action and Research (AWARE) are unlikely to reconcile, according to newly elected president Dana Lam.

"It doesn't seem to me that that is something we can pursue because in spite of everything, what seems to be the case - if you listen to their press conference after the event - is that they really cannot see our point of view," she said.

**** Explosion At IR Site <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_373617.html>
by Teh Joo Lin &amp; Jermyn Chow, Straits Times

Several gas cylinders exploded after they fell off a lorry as it was delivering them to the Integrated Resorts (IR) construction site in Marina Bay, setting off a series of explosion and a huge fire.

**** NTUC, Busienss And Arts Communities Put Up Names For NMP <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/427609/1/.html>
by S Ramesh, Channel NewsAsia

**** Education Ministry Suspends AWARE's Sexuality Education Program <http://www.yawningbread.org/arch_2009/yax-1019.htm>
by Au Waipang, Yawning Bread

Can we stop for a moment, think intelligently and ask: What purpose does this serve?

**** Can Singaore Be A New Catwalk For Global Fashion? <http://www.reuters.com/article/lifestyleMolt/idUSTRE5462PC20090507>
by Miral Fahmy, Reuters

The Asian nation is pitching itself as the newest destination for international and regional fashion designers to showcase their collections.

**** Women's Group Coup Awakens Singapore Civil Society <http://in.reuters.com/article/lifestyleMolt/idINTRE5461Z020090507>
by Nopporn Wong-Anan, Reuters

A power struggle in Singapore's top women's advocacy group has awakened the conservative city-state's civil society and created rare public debate about the taboo issues of sex and religion.