[MyAppleMenu] Mar 20, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Fri Mar 20 18:59:00 EDT 2009

**** PlayFirst Announces Casual Role Playing Game <http://www.macworld.com/article/139490/2009/03/wandering.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld

In Wandering Willows, you have been marooned on a strange land after your hot air balloon malfunctions, and you have to go on a series of adventures to get home.

**** Syncopation Syncs Multiple iTunes Libraries <http://www.macworld.com/article/139515/2009/03/syncopation.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Christopher Breen, Macworld

As the name hints, Syncopation tracks what’s in the iTunes libraries of the Macs on a local network it’s installed on and when you make a change to one library, Syncopation copies the new files to the other Macs’ libraries. This includes not only music files, but also videos and podcasts.

**** InternetWorld Sprint 1997 <http://inessential.com/2009/03/19/internetworld_spring_1997>
by Brent Simmons, INessential.com

I remember thinking: how weird it must be for him, to be interrupted by fans at random times at these things.

And I remember thinking it’s not something I would ever have to worry about in the future.

On the other hand, I still don't have to worry about this for my future. :-)

**** AT&T To Sell iPhone Without Contract For $599 <http://finance.yahoo.com/news/ATampT-to-sell-iPhone-without-apf-14694320.html>
by Associated Press

Spokesman Michael Coe said Dallas-based AT&T will sell the phones starting next Thursday for $599 or $699, depending on the storage capacity. The new phones will still be "locked" to AT&T and won't work with any other cellular carrier unless they're modified.

**** How To: Fake The iPhone 3.0 OS On Your iPhone Today <http://i.gizmodo.com/5175586/how-to-fake-the-iphone-30-os-on-your-iphone-today>
by John mahoney, Gizmodo

So start with jailbreaking, then get yourself downloading these apps to get that fresh 3.0 experience before the software even drops.

**** More Evidence Arises For Future iPhone Models In Latest Beta <http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2009/03/more-evidence-arises-for-future-iphone-models-in-latest-beta.ars>
by Chris Foresman, Ars Technica

As developers begin downloading and installing the beta of the next-gen iPhone SDK, clues continue to surface about future iPhone and iPod touch models.

Why do I get this feeling that Apple is messing with our minds, and some or all of these references are 'easter eggs'-style fakes?

**** Set Your Own Backup Schedule With TimeMachineEditor <http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2009/03/set-your-own-backup-schedule-with-timemachineeditor.ars>
by Erica Sadun, Ars Technica

This free download lets you set the backup frequency using a simple GUI. You can choose from calendar intervals or set the backup interval to a certain number of hours, such as every two or six hours.

This might be useful for those of us who don't have their time-machine external hard disk plugged in all the time.

**** iPhone 3.0 To Offer MobileMe Users &quot;Find My iPhone&quot; Feature <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/03/18/iphone_3_0_to_offer_mobileme_users_find_my_iphone_feature.html>
by Prince McLean, AppleInsider

A new feature in the iPhone 3.0 firmware appears to let users remotely pinpoint a lost or stolen phone by securely requesting the device's location via Apple's MobileMe service.

I hope I can also use it even when my phone is not lost or stolen, but just as a location service.

**** Apple Adds HD Movie Sales To iTunes Store <http://www.macworld.com/article/139512/2009/03/ituneshd.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Jim Dalrymple, Macworld

You can play the HD movies on a Mac, a PC, or on widescreen TV with an Apple TV, as well as in standard definition on the iPhone or iPod with video (previously Apple only offered HD movie rentals to Apple TV owners).

Another small step towards the death of Blu-Ray?

**** Review: Apple's Newest 24-In. iMac 'A Sight To Behold' <http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=viewArticleBasic&articleId=9129960&source=rss_topic123>
by Michael DeAgonia, Computerworld

With its sleek lines, thoughtful and minimalist design, large and beautiful screen, robust operating system, polished iLife suite of apps, and updated hardware, the new iMac is a great value for anyone looking for a desktop computer.

**** Apple Redraws World Map Again <http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/464/1051464/apple-redraws-world-map>
by Stewart Meagher, The INquirer

Apple has decided that two Western European countries don't deserve to appear on the world map as they don't have access to the iPhone.

**** Apple, AT&T Sued For Slow 3G Speeds <http://www.macworld.com/article/139520/2009/03/3glawsuit.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Jim Dalrymple, Macworld

Apple and AT&T are being sued again for over-promising and under-delivering on their claims of fast Internet access of the iPhone 3G.

**** A Roll Of Whose Dice? <http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2009/03/a_roll_of_whose_dice.html>
by Roger Ebert, Chicaco Sun-Times

Is the universe deterministic, or random? Not the first question you'd expect to hear in a thriller, even a great one. But to hear this question posed soon after the opening sequence of "Knowing" gave me a particular thrill.

**** Reconsideration: <i>Lolita</i> <http://www.laphamsquarterly.org/issue_article_b.php?id=542>
by Francine Prose, Lapham's Quarterly

What's been lost in the process is the broader meaning of the Greek word eros, and erotic, which have always included the sexual but have also suggested the mysterious, even metaphysical, connection between sex and life, sex and pleasure, the origin of life and the celebration of life.

**** Schools Should Be More Flexible About Students Calling In Sick <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Online%2BStory/STIStory_352294.html>
by William Tay, Straits Times

Only a medical certificate from a doctor is recognixsed. Without one, my daughter will have to serve a 'corrective order'.

Our over reliance on medical certificates in Singapore is a shame; a simple flu will simply require a (much chepaer) over-the-counter medicine plus plenty of rest.

**** Review GRC System, So More Can Vote <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_352359.html>
by Tan Chak Lim, Straits Times

I feel that the GRC system obstructs my right and duty to vote, and appears discordant with the Government's stated policy 'to ensure the maximum possible participation by our citizens in the electoral process'

Given that the GRC has helped PAP tremendously win seats, I seriously doubt PAP government will do away with the system. And that will mean that we have to find other means and ways to get our voices heard and our opinions accounted for in Parliament.

**** Mosaic <http://blogs.channelnewsasia.com/joanne-leow/2009/03/20/mosaic/>
by The Skeptical Optimist

I have to admit that I have a real soft spot for the Esplanade’s Mosaic Music Festival. Into its 5th year now, the festival programmers love charging ahead and challenging the Singaporean prediliction towards safe, boring, MOR (middle of the road) music.

**** Drop In Annual Pay Ahead For Civil Servants <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/416540/1/.html>
by Loh Chee Kong and Cheow Xin Yi, Today

TODAY has learnt that civil servants — who are awaiting news on their annual performance bonuses and pay increments as the financial year draws to a close — received a circular via email from the Public Service Division (PSD) in the Prime Minister’s Office, priming them to “expect to see a drop in annual salaries” this year.

Like many indicators in our country, the civil servant's salary is a lagging indicator of our economy.

**** How Much Money Did Holland-Bukit Panjang Town Council Make Or Lose From The Sale Of Creative Shares? <http://wayangparty.com/?p=6664>
by Eugene Yeo, The Wayang Party Club

All we know from Creative’s annual report that Holland-Bukit Panjang Town Council was a major shareholder till 2007. We do not know when the shares were bought or sold.

**** 陈久霖:当年我只是替人说话 <http://finance.sina.com.cn/leadership/crz/20090320/13286003809.shtml>
by 李玉申, 鄂商

陈久霖:在新加坡,监狱对犯人的管理是十分严格的。不仅工作(劳动)要听话,日常的生活条件也很艰苦。

**** CDC Bonus Fiasco Part 2: The Missing Forum Threads <http://www.mrbrown.com/blog/2009/03/cdc-bonus-fiasco-part-2-the-missing-forum-threads.html>
by mrbrown

So SPH, why ah? Dowan people to discuss the CDC 8-months bonus topic ah? Or read anything about it ah?

**** Chatty Singaporean Cab Drivers <http://www.norlos.com/weblog/storage/2009/03/chatty_singapor.php>
by Norlos

You can go months without talking to a New York cabbie, and most Hong Kong taxi jockey don’t speak English. But just about everybody in Singapore speaks English and likes to talk.