[MyAppleMenu] Mar 19, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Thu Mar 19 18:59:00 EDT 2009

**** Music Apps Don't Get Much Help From iPhone 3.0 <http://www.businessinsider.com/music-apps-dont-get-much-help-from-iphone-30-2009-3>
by Dan Frommer, Silicon Alley Insider

>From what we've seen publicly, third-party music apps still can't play while you're using the phone for anything else, such as browsing the Web or reading e-mail.

**** The Steve Jobs Economy <http://www.portfolio.com/executives/2009/03/18/Steve-Jobs-Impact-on-Tech-Economy>
by Duff McDonald and Julia Dennis, Portfolio

A back-of-the-envelope assessment of how much the ailing CEO has been worth to Apple and to the tech industry overall.

**** All Is Not Peachy At Apple Store <http://weblog.infoworld.com/gripeline/archives/2009/03/aapple_zealots.html>
by Christina Tynan-Wood, InfoWorld

An Apple store quotes a woman twice what they quote her husband &mdash; to fix the same computer.

**** Five Ways Apple's iPhone OS 3.0 Upgrade Will Improve Your Mobile Life <http://www.crn.com/mobile/215901046>
by Jennifer Bosavage, ChannelWeb

While preventing you from doing things that will more liekly run down the battery before the end of the day.

**** Apple Intentionally Crippled Bluetooth In iPod Touch 2G, Wants $10 To Unlock It! <http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=3988>
by Adrian Kingsley-Hughes, ZDNet

The issue isn’t that Bluetooth wasn’t on the spec sheet in the first place, it’s that everyone’s who has bought an iPod touch has already paid for the hardware, and is now having to pay again to unlock hardware that they’ve already paid for.

**** Developer Shows Working iPhone 3.0 Tethering Over USB <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/03/18/developer_shows_working_iphone_3_0_tethering_over_usb.html>
by Aidan Malley, AppleInsider

Confirming what Apple had hinted at in its iPhone 3.0 presentation, a developer has successfully, if unintentionally, enabled data tethering on the new iPhone firmware.

**** Developers Enthused About iPhone 3.0 SDK <http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2009/03/developers-enthused-about-iphone-30-sdk.ars>
by Chris Foresman, Ars Technica

The mood of iPhone developers is enthusiastic about the upcoming changes announced by Apple. Though there are still areas developers would like to see improved, the "over 1,000 new APIs" already have them champing at the bit to integrate new functionality into current and future projects.

**** Kung Fu Panda Game Now On Mac <http://www.macworld.com/article/139462/2009/03/kungfupanda.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld

**** Sticky News For iPhone <http://www.macworld.com/article/139412/2009/03/stickynews.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Ben Boychuk, Macworld

Unconventional news ticker a little too unconventional.

**** Skype Offers Mac Users Free Wi-Fi <http://www.macworld.com/article/139456/2009/03/surf_the_internet_via_skype_on_boingo_wifi_networks__for_free.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Cyrus Farivar, Macworld

**** More On AppleWorks File Conversions <http://www.macworld.com/article/139468/2009/03/moreonolderfileconversion.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Christopher Breen, Macworld

**** Psystar Rolls Out New, Compact Mac Clone <http://www.macworld.com/article/139470/2009/03/psystar_open3.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Dan Moren, Macworld

Even in the midst of a lengthy legal disagreement with Apple, Psystar still manages to find the time and the guts to release new models of its Open Computer line.

**** What iPhone 3.0 Means For Mobile Games <http://www.macworld.com/article/139479/2009/03/iphone30_games.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld

One of the most sought-after features game developers have requested is what Apple calls In App Purchase. This lets developers create additional content for apps that users can buy after they’ve made their initial purchase.

**** Pwn2Own 2009: Mac Falls In Seconds <http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/blog/2009/mar/18/apple-pwned-again>
by Jack Schofield, The Guardian

Last year, at least the Mac lasted a couple of minutes before it was hacked. This year, it lasted seconds…

**** Can You Trust iTunes App Store Reviews? <http://www.pcworld.com/article/161406/can_you_trust_itunes_app_store_reviews.html>
by Jeff Bertolucci, PC World

Despite Apple's efforts, the iTunes App Store isn't immune from the problems that plague other user-review sites. But it doesn't appear to be overrun with fakes, either.

**** iPhone 3.0 Update Is About Much More Than Just Software <http://www.suntimes.com/business/1484168,ihnatko-iphone-apple-upgrade-031809.article>
by Andy Ihnatko, Chicago Sun-Times

Hardware accessories will move way, way beyond car chargers and headphones.

**** Work Begins On iPhone OS 3.0 Jailbreak <http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10199822-37.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=News-Apple>
by Jennifer Guevin, CNET

**** The War On Buttons <http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1886143,00.html>
by Dan Fletcher, Time

There's a war on buttons. No, not the clothing kind; bulging American waistlines are the biggest threat they face. This war is against buttons of the electronic variety, those tireless servants that dot elevators, cell phones, car dashboards and control panels the world around. They're the perfect antidote to baffling binary of a switch. One button, one function, press here to power/submit/self-destruct. Simple? Yes. Elegant? Apparently not.

**** Review Delays Doom Promising iPhone App <http://cultofmac.com/review-delays-doom-promising-iphone-app/9682>
by Lonnie Lazar, Cult Of Mac

Newber, the FreedomVoice Systems app that sought to bring innovative calling functionality to the iPhone, has thrown in the towel after having had its app submission ignored by Apple for five months, according to an open letter (pdf) published Wednesday by FreedomVoice CEO, Eric Thomas.

**** Analysis: Apple's iPhone Shows How Upgades Should Be Done <http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2343326,00.asp>
by Sascha Segan, PC Magazine

Why can't any other smart phone vendors do this? Apple's upgrade strategy helps their users and the company in a bunch of different ways. It lets users buy iPhones with some confidence, knowing that they're not going to get left behind next year. It lets developers aim at the latest platform, without having to worry about supporting the older versions of the iPhone OS. And it keeps users with Apple because they don't enter a new buying cycle, thinking of new choices and potentially churning off to the latest new thing.

**** The Great Chocolate Chase <http://www.insidemacgames.com/reviews/view.php?ID=1018>
by Richard Hallas, Inside Mac Games

**** A More Local, Social Citysearch <http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/03/19/a-more-local-social-citysearch/>
by Claire Cain Miller, New York Times

Citysearch is unveiling a new Web site on Thursday that will make the site more social and more local — and, the site hopes, staunch its loss of readers.

**** Sony Reaches Deal To Share In Google's E-Book Library <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/19/technology/19sony.html?ref=technology>
by Brad Stone, New York Times

Aiming to outdo Amazon.com and recapture the crown for the most digital titles in an e-book library, Sony is announcing Thursday a deal with Google to make a half million copyright-free books available for its Reader device, a rival to the Amazon Kindle.

**** Obama's Critical Early Test: Corporate Arrogance <http://www.boingboing.net/2009/03/18/obamas-critical-earl.html>
by Dan Gillmor, Boing Boing

This is Obama's air-traffic controllers opportunity.

**** Relax, It's Just Foie Gras <http://www.salon.com/mwt/food/eat_drink/2009/03/19/foie_gras/index.html>
by Alex Koppelman, Salon

Animal activists have denounced the delicacy as torture. But as a new book explains, the truth is not as simple &mdash; or as sensational &mdash; as they'd like you to believe.

**** The Daily Me <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/19/opinion/19kristof.html?ref=opinion>
by Nicholas D. Kristof, New York Times

The effect of The Daily Me would be to insulate us further in our own hermetically sealed political chambers.

**** Whoopie! Cookie, Pie Or Cake, It's Having Its Moment <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/18/dining/18whoop.html?ref=style>
by Micheline Maynard, New York Times

Whoopie pies are migrating across the country, often appearing in the same specialty shops and grocery aisles that recently made room for cupcakes.

**** Singapore Urges Myanmar To Reconcile With Opponents <http://in.reuters.com/article/worldNews/idINIndia-38565520090318>
by Nopporn Wong-Anan, Reuters

Singapore urged Myanmar's military rulers to reconcile with the opposition and engage with West, even as the junta renewed a crackdown on pro-democracy activists.

**** What A Strange Place FOr A Bus Stop <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Online%2BStory/STIStory_351795.html>
by Bill Johnston, Straits Times

Why is it necessary? Surely buses should have priority?

**** New Charges By Singapore Against The Wall Street Journal <http://www.asiasentinel.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1771&Itemid=181>
by Asia Sentinel

**** Another Day In The Lion City, Almost <http://www.asiasentinel.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1773&Itemid=195>
by John Berthelsen, Asia Sentinel

You can say one thing for Singaporeans. They have long memories. And if you think the place is loosening up, think again.

**** The Internet And Opposition Politics <http://www.sgpolitics.net/?p=2524>
by Ng E-Jay, Sgpolitics.net

The next logical step for Opposition parties and other political activists to take is to find a way of bringing the ideas that they are currently conveying to the online community to the offline world, through groundwork, activism, and the use of print publications.

**** Man Apologises To MP Phua For Referring To Austic Son <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/416281/1/.html>
by Leong Wee Keat, Today

The man accused of threatening member of parliament (MP) Denise Phua broke down in court on Wednesday as he publicly apologised to her.

**** Tambayan, Singapore Style <http://villageidiotsavant.blogspot.com/2009/03/tambayan-singapore-style.html>
by Village Idiot Savant

Being a very busy city, only senior citizens only have time to loaf around, and that's what this area in Chinatown is for.

**** Government Increasingly Forced To Respond To Anonymous Bloggers <http://singaporeenquirer.sg/?p=2697>
by Fang Zhi Yuan, Singapore Enquirer

There was a paradigm change in the government’s mindset last week when it was compelled to respond to rumors circulating around on the internet about the bonuses received by CDC staff.

**** 美國遊客被砍菜頭‧報導見報顧客不上門‧鄰近攤位遭殃生意跌80% <http://news.sina.com/int/sinchewdaily/105-000-102-101/2009-03-18/04173720000.html>
by 星洲日報

**** 都30年了的华人华语 <http://blog.omy.sg/ming/archives/816>
by 暇觅异思

毕竟南大是在1980年关闭的,讲华语运动也已踏入第30个年头了。

**** Yes, That We May Dream Again <http://yoursdp.org/index.php/news/singapore/2095-yes-that-we-may-dream-again>
by Chee Siok Chin, Singapore Democrats

I have drawn encouragement from the authors of this book. What each of them had gone through gives me strength to continue with my work and struggle for freedom, transparency, dignity and rights for my fellow Singaporeans.

**** Open Letter To Dr Teo Ho Pin Re: Creative Shares Purchased By Holland-Bukit Panjang Town Council And Staff Bonuses <http://wayangparty.com/?p=6576>
by Eugene Yeo, The Wayang Party Club

**** Phone Threats A Non-Seizable Offence: Case Of Double Standards? <http://wayangparty.com/?p=6623>
by Eugene Yeo, The Wayang Party Club

The speed at which the police arrested Ng almost immediately and their apparent unwillingness to investigate the claims of Madam Tan reflects an incongruity in the handling of cases involving PAP leaders and ordinary citizens.

**** Goldman Sees 2009 Singapore GDP Down 8 Pct <http://www.forbes.com/feeds/afx/2009/03/18/afx6185667.html>
by Nopporn Wong-Anan, Forbes

Golman Sachs said on Thursday it has lowered its forecast for Singapore gross domestic product for 2009 to -8.0 percent from -4.0 percent previously as the U.S. economy is expected to contract further in the year, curbing already weak demand for Asian goods.

**** Why Limit Learning? <http://desparatebeep.blogspot.com/2009/03/why-limit-learning.html>
by Tang Li, Desparatebeep

Let's be honest here, Mr Lee's obsession with dialects and the Mandarin versus dialect issue has nothing to do with losing out in the modern world and the great China market. It has everything to do with Mr Lee's paranoia of "real" Chinese culture.

**** Copyright Issues Hit 10-Year Series <http://www.asiaone.com/News/Education/Story/A1Story20090318-129434.html>
by Santokh Singh and Pearly Tan, My Paper

Looking for the latest Ten-Year Series but can't find it? There is a reason it is missing. The series, popularly known as TYS among students, has run into copyright problems.

**** Singaporean Adventure <http://blog.arrivedok.mobi/2009/03/19/singaporean-adventure/>
by Kostya Fadeev, ArrivedOK

It is better to learn about visa terms from the original source (for instance from the web site of the immigration service of Singapore).

**** Wall Street Journal Editor FIned For Contempt In Singapore <http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/djf500/200903190327DOWJONESDJONLINE000398_FORTUNE5.htm>
by AFP

A senior editor of the Wall Street Journal newspaper was fined S$10,000 ($6,590) Thursday for allowing the publication of articles ruled to have attacked the city-state's judiciary.

The Singapore High Court said Melanie Kirkpatrick, a deputy editor of The Wall Street Journal's editorial page, was in contempt of court, on top of an earlier judgment against publisher Dow Jones Publishing Company (Asia) Inc.

**** Disadvantgeous Mandarin <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2009/03/disadvantageous-mandarin/>
by The Online Citizen

**** Less Than 3 In 10 Jobs Went To Citizens: No Real Figures On Citizens Given By MOM <http://wayangparty.com/?p=6548>
by Jeremy Koh, The Wayang Party Club

**** Cracks Appear In Lee's Mantle <http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Southeast_Asia/KC20Ae02.html>
by Shawn W Crispin, Asia Times

While a populist backlash against perceived corrupt bankers and financiers mounts in the United States, all is comparatively calm in financial hub Singapore, where the state and finance sector are virtually one and the same.

Yet some analysts wonder whether the deepening downturn could eventually spark popular calls for political change to the People's Action Party (PAP)-led government, similar to the mass mobilizations that ousted Indonesia's and nearly toppled Malaysia's entrenched authoritarian regimes amid the 1997-98 Asian financial crisis.

**** £230 Dinner At A Hawker Centre? Smells Fishy To Me <http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/asia_file/blog/2009/03/19/230_dinner_at_a_hawker_centre_smells_fishy_to_me>
by Ben Bland, Telegraph

Singaporeans are obsessed with the idea that their little nation is a safe and law-abiding place but, once you get outside the manicured centre of town, this city is in many ways as chaotic as any other.