[MyAppleMenu] Mar 9, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Mon Mar 9 18:59:00 EDT 2009

**** My Trip To The Omaha Apple Store <http://www.shoemoney.com/2009/03/08/my-trip-to-the-omaha-apple-store/>
by Jeremy Schoemaker, ShoeMoney

I left the Apple Store feeling more proud then ever to be an Apple user.

**** Ars Reviews iLife '09: Publishing Online With iWeb <http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2009/03/ars-reviews-ilife-09-iweb.ars>
by David Chartier, Ars Technica

iWeb may not have received the majority of Apple's attention for iLife '09, but despite its drawbacks, it is finally the dead-simple Web design tool worthy of Apple's name. While iWeb still contains a number of irksome drawbacks and strange template design choices, the addition of choice via FTP publishing and fleshed-out widget support should turn a whole new set of heads toward giving iWeb a try.

**** A Gamer's Take On The New Mac Mini <http://www.macworld.com/article/139273/2009/03/macmini_games.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld

I’m delighted to see Apple finally bring the Mac mini in line with the rest of the Mac product line, and make it, for the first time, something that users with gaming interests beyond basic casual titles will be able to enjoy.

**** Keep Working When You're Not Online <http://www.macworld.com/article/139239/2009/03/workoffline.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Joe Kissell, Macworld

How to read e-mail, browse the web without net access.

**** iStudio Publisher 1.0.4 <http://www.macworld.com/article/139236/2009/03/istudiopub104.html>
by Jay Nelson, Macworld

When iStudio Publisher 1.0.4 is updated to include a few more essential features, it will be perfect for people who want more power and freedom than Apple’s Pages ’09 offers. In the meantime, feel free to jump in and start using it now; the program is easy and fun, and the upgrade will be free.

**** A Personal Assistant Premium For iPhone <http://www.macworld.com/article/139262/2009/03/personalassitant.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Kate Dohe, Macworld

A Personal Assistant Premium is a helpful app, though not nearly as powerful as it could be.

**** Apple Shows Off Safari's HTML 5 Support <http://www.macworld.com/article/139285/2009/03/safarihtml5.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Jim Dalrymple, Macworld

Apple posted a page on its Web site showing how HTML 5 will change what we can do on the Web and how it will look in Safari.

**** Webcam Brings 3-D To Topps Sports Cards <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/09/technology/09topps.html?ref=technology>
by Eric A. Taub, New York Times

Since the 1950s, Topps has sold baseball trading cards filled with photos and stats, bringing the game to life. Now the company is bringing its cards to life.

**** Grater <http://www.newyorker.com/fiction/poetry/2009/03/16/090316po_poem_steger>
by Ales Steger, The New Yorker

**** Down And Out In Paris <http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2009/mar/07/shakespeare-and-company-bookshop-paris>
by Jeanette Winterson, The Guardian

For half a century, a crowded bookshop on the Left Bank has offered food and a bed to penniless authors - the only rule is that they read a book a day.

**** What's A Melody For? <http://measureformeasure.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/03/06/whats-a-melody-for/?ref=opinion>
by Suzanne Vega, New York Times

A melody is for expressing emotions: delight, passion, sadness. It reminds us of what we have felt and experienced before, in our own personal code of emotion and history. Priceless!

**** Moderation And The Modern Mom <http://proof.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/03/05/moderation-and-the-modern-mom/?ref=opinion>
by Anna Fricke, New York Times

So it’s not the alcohol I miss. It’s the immaturity. The selfishness.

**** I Did My Best, But Got A 'Black Mark' As Thanks <http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,195128,00.html?>
by Lediati Tan, New Paper

Nine years ago, I participated in a flag day for my secondary school's community involvement programme. For my efforts, I received a certificate of appreciation.

But guess what? Next to my name on the certificate was a handwritten remark: 'could collect more next time out'.

**** Let The Merlion Remain Scarred By Nature's Strike <http://tnp.sg/news/story/0,4136,195143,00.html?>
by Tan Mae Lynn, New Paper

**** Don't Pass On High Costs Of Circle Line <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Online%2BStory/STIStory_347598.html>
by Jason Chua, Straits Times

**** Dialects Are Part Of Our Culture <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Online%2BStory/STIStory_347594.html>
by Rhea Tan, Straits Times

I appreciate that the Government has emphasised the use of good English and Mandarin to engage China and other countries. However, I completely disagree that encouraging the learning of dialects is 'stupid'.

**** Allow Judges More Leeway In Sentencing <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_347689.html>
by Carene Poh, Straits Times

An increase in the variation of sentences would give judges more discretion and so better ensure that justice and fairness prevail in sentencing.

**** Dialects Make Business Sense <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Story/STIStory_347684.html>
by Ang Kian Chuan, Straits Times

**** Debunking The Erroneous Reporting In The Mainstream Media: THe David Hartonto Widjaja's Story <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2009/03/debunking-the-erroneous-reporting-in-the-mainstream-media-the-david-hartonto-widjaja’s-story/>
by Darren Boon, The Online Citizen

When news of a stabbing incident on the Nanyang Technological University campus broke on Monday morning, the mainstream media descended like a pack of wolves onto the story. However, the likes of OMY, Today, Channel News Asia, Asia One, and to a certain extent The Straits Times, had misrepresented information in their stories.

**** Debunking The Erroneous Reporting In The Mainstream Media: The David Hartonto Widjaja's Story <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2009/03/debunking-the-erroneous-reporting-in-the-mainstream-media-the-david-hartonto-widjaja%E2%80%99s-story/>
by Darren Boon, The Online Citizen

When news of a stabbing incident on the Nanyang Technological University campus broke on Monday morning, the mainstream media descended like a pack of wolves onto the story. However, the likes of OMY, Today, Channel News Asia, Asia One, and to a certain extent The Straits Times, had misrepresented information in their stories.

**** How Did We Allow Our Sovereign Wealth Funds To Lose So Much Money? <http://wayangparty.com/?p=6073>
by Fang Zhi Yuan, The Wayang Party Club

It is a national shame for taxpaying citizens to depend on the ruling party perpetually for handouts and for our vote to be held ransom by it.

**** Little Else Asia Can Do Than Spend More <http://www.nst.com.my/Current_News/NST/Monday/National/2499781/Article/index_html>
by AFP

Asian governments need to roll out fresh stimulus measures to stop their economies from sinking further as the region reels from collapsing exports, regional analysts said.

**** Lightning-Struck Merlion Expected To Re-Open In 2 Weeks <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/414065/1/.html>
by Channel NewsAsia

Designed and built as a sculpture, the Merlion did not include a lightning conductor. However, STB is now studying the possible lightning protection measures for the Merlion Park to prevent similar incidents from recurring.