[MyAppleMenu] Mar 10, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Tue Mar 10 18:59:00 EDT 2009

**** App Store In Crisis As Apple Buckles Under The Weight Of New Apps And Developers <http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/milo_yiannopoulos/blog/2009/03/09/app_store_in_crisis_as_apple_buckles_under_the_weight_of_new_apps_and_developers>
by Milo Yiannopoulos, Telegraph

Apple simply cannot handle the volume of developers and apps flooding to the iPhone.

**** Why I Think Apple's Touchscreen Netbook Is Real <http://gigaom.com/2009/03/09/why-i-think-apple’s-touchscreen-netbook-is-real/>
by Om Malik, GigaOM

Just as it redefined the MP3 player experience and reinvented the iPhone, Apple is going to pursue the netbook opportunity. But it won’t be with anything like the cheap, anorexic laptops being sold as netbooks today.

**** Sources Confirm Apple Laid Off Salespeople Last Week <http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-10191877-37.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=News-Apple>
by Tom Krazit, CNET

Despite public statements to the contrary, Apple did lay off around 50 enterprise salespeople last week, CNET News has learned.

Sources who wished to remain anonymous for fear of reprisal confirmed reports by Valleywag and 9to5Mac.com that roughly 50 salespeople were let go by the company for "business and economic reasons," according to one source. An entire sales group based in Austin, Texas, was let go as well as workers in Cupertino, Calif., where Apple is headquartered.

**** Reminder: Why I Switched To Mac In 2005 <http://www.scripting.com/stories/2009/03/09/reminderWhyISwitchedToMacI.html>
by Dave Winer, Scripting News

I switched because I was Mired In Malware.

**** What Should Apple Do - Scale Down Mac OS X Or Scale Up iPhone OS? <http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=3761>
by Adrian Kingsley-Hughes, ZDNet

**** Apple Retail Keeps It Green During Fire Sale <http://www.appleinsider.com/articles/09/03/07/apple_retail_keeps_it_green_during_fire_sale.html>
by Prince McLean, AppleInsider

In its latest effort to positively impact the environment, Apple's retail stores have initiated a new "no plastic bags" policy to cut back on the amount of unnecessary packaging it dumps in the hands of shoppers.

**** Jay Freeman Takes On Apple <http://www.internetnews.com/dev-news/article.php/3809396/Jay+Freeman+Takes+On+Apple.htm>
by David Needle, Internet News

Jay Freeman stays plenty busy with his graduate studies in computer science at the University of California, Santa Barbara. In his spare time he’s worked on applications for the iPhone, but now he’s competing against Apple itself.

**** The Case For&mdash;And Against&mdash;An Apple Netbook <http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2009/03/the-case-forand-againstan-apple-netbook.ars>
by Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica

The rumor mill is churning once again after a Chinese newspaper says two companies are currently working on supplies for Apple's netbook. This seems to go against the Apple party line on netbooks, but we can think of two reasons for (and against) such a venture.

**** Apple Denies OS X Monopoly Claims In Clone Case <http://blog.wired.com/business/2009/03/apple-denies-os.html>
by Ryan Singel, Wired

Apple denies claims from a clone Mac maker that it is abusing copyright law in order to prevent other companies from making computers that can run its Mac OS X operating system.

**** Kindle For iPhone Not The Only E-Book Reader <http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29538541/>
by Suzanne Choney, MSNBC

Kindle for iPhone is not necessarily the program to have, but it’s a welcome addition to an already strong group of e-readers.

**** Tips For Making The Switch To Apple <http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2342723,00.asp>
by David Epstein, PC Magazine

Though it's become much easier to switch, old Windows hands can avoid feeling like rank Mac newbies with these useful tips.

**** Pano For iPhone <http://www.macworld.com/article/139283/2009/03/pano.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Tom Hesser, Macworld

Pano is an amazing app for creating on-the-spot panoramic photos without the need of desktop software to stitch the photos together. Developed by Debacle Software, Pano does a very simple thing in principle, but the results are incredible given that this is something created by a mobile application.

**** Sid Meier's Pirates! <http://www.insidemacgames.com/reviews/view.php?ID=1029>
by David Allen, Inside Mac Games

Firaxis/Feral have done a very good job with taking modest-budget graphics and investing them with class and humor, adding that to a collection of rather simple but still engaging mini-games, and placing the whole thing in a large and vital world that you will want to keep exploring for many many hours. This game is very much more than the sum of its parts, and I enthusiastically recommend it to anyone looking for a great value in an immersive game, and who isn't too hung up on bleeding-edge graphics.

**** Start-Up Caustic Targets Ray Tracing For Graphics <http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-10191453-92.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
by Jonathan Skillings, CNET

A start-up called Caustic Graphics aims to etch a place for itself in PC graphics, using a technique more common in Hollywood than in Silicon Valley.

**** Distractions May Shift, But Sleep Needs Don't <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/10/health/10klas.html?_r=1>
by Perri Klass, New York Times

The bedtime routine may remain every bit as important as the bedtime.

**** A Eulogy For My Father's Words <http://www.salon.com/books/feature/2009/03/10/leonard/index.html>
by Andrew Leonard, Salon

Critic and novelist John Leonard built grand cathedrals out of language. His son pays tribute to his lexicon and his passion.

**** Experimental Nonfiction <http://www.thesmartset.com/article/article03050901.aspx>
by Jennifer Fisher Wilson, The Smart Set

Science can't solve the mystery of life, but it can make it a lot more fascinating.

**** The Vanishing Sidekick <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/08/weekinreview/08stanley.html?ref=weekinreview>
by Alessandra Stanley, New York Times

Former Vice President Dick Cheney may share some blame. He stretched the job description so far to fit his own agenda that the definition of “vice” lost its secondary meaning.

**** Workers Without Borders <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/10/opinion/10gordon.html?ref=opinion>
by Jennifer Gordon, New York Times

The solution lies in greater mobility for migrants and a new emphasis on workers’ rights.

**** They Tried To Outsmart Wall Street <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/10/science/10quant.html?ref=science>
by Dennis Overbye, New York Times

Dr. Derman, who spent 17 years at Goldman Sachs and became managing director, was a forerunner of the many physicists and other scientists who have flooded Wall Street in recent years, moving from a world in which a discrepancy of a few percentage points in a measurement can mean a Nobel Prize or unending mockery to a world in which a few percent one way can land you in jail and a few percent the other way can win you your own private Caribbean island.

**** Bad Infinity <http://www.slate.com/id/2213131/?from=rss>
by T.R. Hummer, Slate

**** On Campus, Vampires Are Besting The Beats <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/03/05/AR2009030501541.html?wprss=rss_artsandliving/books>
by Ron Charles, Washington Post

Here we have a generation of young adults away from home for the first time, free to enjoy the most experimental period of their lives, yet they're choosing books like 13-year-old girls -- or their parents. The only specter haunting the groves of American academe seems to be suburban contentment.

**** 新加坡利用SARS危机一举搞垮中国的内幕 <http://szxinjian.blogspot.com/2009/03/sars.html>
by 兴建中华

新加坡的这些动作并不是简单的不友好,也不是无足轻重的姿态,而是非常恶毒的蓄意伤害,是趁人之危落井下石、企图一举置中国于死地的敌对行动。

**** 台灣公務員怎樣跟新加坡比薪水呀? <http://terrylogin.blogspot.com/2009/03/blog-post_09.html>
by 研究生的呢喃自語

台灣的王八蛋立委、亂七八糟的政務官,口無遮攔、腦袋沒腦漿的內閣團隊,我不知道你們怎麼敢跟新加坡比政務官薪水呀?

**** Survey Shows Bleak Job Prospects Across Seven Industry Sectors In Q2 <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporebusinessnews/view/414158/1/.html>
by Asha Popatlal, Channel NewsAsia

Prospects look bleak for some job-seekers if a recent survey by HR firm Manpower Staffing Services is anything to go by.

**** Fundamental, Systemic Flaws In The HDB Resale Process <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/306546.asp>
by Ed Tan, Today

I see the fundamental problem is the existence of loan sharks and their tactics; the root of this problem lies with MHA, not HDB.

**** A Constitutional Right: MinLaw <http://www.todayonline.com/articles/306557.asp>
by Chong Wan Yieng, Press Secretary To Minister For Law, Today

As was mentioned in our earlier letter, our legal heritage is a broadly worded Constitution. We can either maintain this approach, or we can adopt an elaborate one, seeking to make all implicit rights express. Some governments have done so. But having express voter rights in a Constitution is not necessarily an effective safeguard against an unknowable and possibly unjust future.

**** 杜绝车资少付的办法 <http://www.zaobao.com/yl/yl090310_508.shtml>
by 沈如正, 联合早报

以后乘客上车仍照旧在车上打阅卡器,下车却在车站打阅卡器以付车资,这样乘客就没有在车上早几站打卡“吃车资”的机会。

The problem with ideas such as these is that the process break down horribly during exceptional cases, punishing honest users hard.

**** A Desperate Need For Change <http://thestar.com.my/columnists/story.asp?col=ceritalah&file=/2009/3/10/columnists/ceritalah/3439706&sec=Ceritalah>
by Ceritalah, The Star

Past achievements and former glories amount to very little in the face of mounting expectations from increasingly well-educated and demanding voters, especially during periods of economic uncertainty.

**** Jobs For Singaporeans Or Foreigners? <http://wayangparty.com/?p=5973>
by Jeremy Koh, The Wayang Party Club

While we should not shut our doors completely to foreigners, the interests of Singaporeans must come first during this difficult period. Save for jobs requiring special skills and rejected by Singaporeans, hiring companies should be mandated to fill up all vacancies with locals first before turning to foreigners.

**** Singapore Library - Sengkang Library Is Probably The Second Worst Library In Singapore <http://rogerpoh.wordpress.com/2009/03/10/singapore-library-sengkang-library-is-probably-the-second-worst-library-in-singapore/>
by For Everything There Is A Season

Sengkang Library is probably the only library (and I frequent libraries all over Singapore) that has no proper chairs and not a single table.

**** The Media's Agenda Against The Singapore Democrats <http://yoursdp.org/index.php/news/singapore/2025-the-medias-agenda-against-the-singapore-democrats>
by Singapore Democrats

Melodramatic? Alarmist? No, we call it like it is.

**** Why Singaporeans Must Leave Singapore <http://ian.onthereddot.com/2009/03/09/why-singaporeans-must-leave-singapore/>
by Ian On The Red Dot

Singaporeans need to leave Singapore to grow. Away from the eyes of well-intentioned and kaypoh friends, we have a chance to change.

**** GIC: Forced Selling Seen By Investors In Next 12-18 Months <http://www.reuters.com/article/marketsNews/idUSSIN16646520090310>
by Kevin Lim and Saeed Azhar, Reuters

A Government of Singapore Investment Corp (GIC) official said on Tuesday he expects more forced selling of assets by investors in the next 12-18 months as the "de-leveraging" in financial markets continues.

**** Singapore More Expensive City <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking%2BNews/Singapore/Story/STIStory_348236.html>
by Straits Times

Singapore has become a more expensive city to live in, according to a survey by the Economist Intelligence Unit . It moved up five notches - from 15th spot six months ago - to become the 10th costliest city to live in the world, said the EIU in a survey on the worldwide cost of living released on Monday.

**** Why Arrested Persons Shouldn't Have Lawyers <http://www.yawningbread.org/arch_2009/yax-1003.htm>
by Au Waipang, Yawning Bread

That police work and the practice of law is never perfect and has continuously to be improved, is hardly news. In Singapore however, it should be, because the improvements that are needed are so fundamental. Why are things so backward here?

**** Singapore's Broadband Penetration Past 100 Per Cent <http://www.techgoondu.com/2009/03/10/singapores-broadband-penetration-past-100-per-cent/>
by Alfred Siew, Techgoondu

I’d say this watershed, now that we’ve reached it, should mark the start of even more efforts to bring broadband to those who don’t have it.

**** Job Losses This Year Expected To Exceed 29,000, Says SNEF <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/414320/1/.html>
by Asha Popatlal, Channel NewsAsia

This year's retrenchment figures are likely to bust the record of 29,000 jobs lost in 1998 during the Asian financial crisis, according to Singapore National Employers Federation’s (SNEF’s) president, Stephen Lee.

**** Temasek Clarifies To MM Lee About CEO Succession List <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/414321/1/.html>
by Lau Joon-Nie, Channel NewsAsia

Temasek Holdings has informed Minister Mentor Lee Kuan Yew that internally, it has several candidates – mostly in their late-30s and 40s – with CEO potential.

**** 南洋叹零丁——第一课,彻底失败了 <http://todearc.blogbus.com/logs/36384376.html>
by Crazy Life

实习的第二周,到今天终于给其中一个班上了一节华文课。结果是惨痛地失败了。

**** Amazing U-Turn By MM Lee Yet Again! <http://wayangparty.com/?p=6132>
by Eugene Yeo, The Wayang Party Club

With statements so short of details and full of inconsistencies, it appears that the press release issued today is nothing more than a damage control exercise to minimize the fallout from his earlier indiscretion. That MM Lee finds it fit to issue a press release to clarify his remarks made last week while many of his words in previous are still yet to be held accountable for is a reflection of the rising public tension and resentment on the ground.

**** Teo Ho Pin Replies To Reader's Email On CDCs Bonus: This Is Confidential <http://wayangparty.com/?p=6104>
by The Wayang Party Club

"I asked if staff got 7-8 months bonus. It is a general and justified question to ask as funds come from tax payers. It is therefore not out of order to ask this simple question and receive a direct reply esp in the face of many people losing their jobs and having their salaries cut."