[MyAppleMenu] Mar 8, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Mar 8 18:59:00 EDT 2009

**** Dancing With The Woz <http://www.newsweek.com/id/188140?from=rss>
by Daniel Lyons, Newsweek

Jobs, his onetime partner, has spent the past 30 years battling with Microsoft over market share, flying around the world, haggling with business partners, screaming at engineers, introducing new products—basically living and breathing the daily battle of the business world. Woz has been out having fun. Which one would you rather be?

**** Did Apple OK Price Cut On Latest MacBook Air? <http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-10191203-64.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
by Brooke Crothers, CNET

At major resellers, the latest version of the high-end MacBook Air is now selling for--hold your breath--$2,399 instead of the listed $2,499 on the Apple web site.

**** Where To Pass The Torch? <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/08/fashion/08generationb.html?ref=style>
by Michael Winerip, New York Times

In 1976, when a counseling job opened at the abortion clinic here, a 30-minute drive across the Mississippi River from her home in St. Louis, Ms. Baker grabbed it and never left, becoming the head of counseling at the Hope Clinic for Women.

But here is the question: As Ms. Baker’s generation approaches retirement — women whose commitment to abortion was forged in the pre-Roe v. Wade days — will younger women take their places at the clinics?

**** Riding The Rails <http://travel.nytimes.com/2009/03/08/travel/08amtrak.html?ref=travel>
by Andy Isaacson, New York Times

I had ridden long-distance trains in India and China but never across my own country. I suppose that after two years of receiving images saturated in red, white and blue from all corners of the nation, I wanted to make my own.

**** Where's My Link To Pioneer MRT Station? <http://singaporebuspage.wordpress.com/2009/03/07/wheres-my-link-to-pioneer-mrt-station/>
by Singapore Bus Page

This was one early opportunity for the Land Transport Authority (LTA) to showcase its role as the better planner of integrated travel, which it could have done by altering the bus routes (such as feeder services 242 and 243) in tandem with the opening of the two new train stations. At most, if it wants to reduce confusion amid all the hype, effect the changes by this weekend. If major nationwide changes could be carried out during the rationalisation phases in the 1990s, surely this would seem like child’s play for the planners up there?

**** Who's Stupid? Dialect Or Principal Private Secretary? <http://feedmetothefish.blogspot.com/2009/03/whos-stupid-dialect-or-principal.html>
by Feed Me To The Fish

**** Stabbing Incident In NTU - Is It Really An "Attack"? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2009/03/stabbing-incident-in-ntu-is-it-really-an-attack/>
by Terence Lee, The Online Citizen

Things may not be what they seem.

**** Where's The Diplomacy? <http://iantan.org/?p=1155>
by Ian Tan, Empty Vessel

Why do you think people leave Singapore and never want to come back? You teach them languages that are global, but you don’t let them hear and absorb languages that will keep them rooted.

**** MM Lee: What Will They Say of Me After My Coffin Is Closed? <http://wayangparty.com/?p=6064>
by Eugene Yeo, The Wayang Party Club

After he is long gone, he will be put into the rightful place together with other dictators like Suharto and Mahathir who curbed the civil rights of the people and democratic institutions of the land to serve to preserve and perpetuate their political hegemony.

**** Elections Are Imminent Part 2 <http://singaporemind.blogspot.com/2009/03/elections-are-imminent-part-2.html>
by Diary Of A Singaproean Mind

Yes, ERP is beneficial to those who don't drive and don't pay ERP like myself. But I wonder what people who have no choice but to drive through it every morning think about it.

It's a mistake to think that there are people with *no* choice. There's always a choice. It's whether you want to take the compromise.

**** 一个真实的新加坡转载 <http://liuchangsteven.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!77B80E389490815C!191.entry>
by 刘畅

新加坡地方很小,语言却很多元化,英语、华语、马来语、印度语,还有粤语、闽南语。这里几乎所有华人都会至少两种语言,英语和华语。和欧美人比,新加坡人的华语说的比欧美人好,这是优势;和中国人面比,新加坡人的英语说的比中国人好,这也是优势。可是即使会说两种语言,恐怕也只能在新加坡这个小地方使用,这种优势也只能在这个小国家体现出来。

**** Stupid, Indeed. <http://charis86.wordpress.com/2009/03/07/stupid-indeed/>
by Life And Its M&Ms

If this is the true stance of the government, then today, a little part of me, and a little part of my heritage, died.

**** Request For Daily Singapore-Langkawi Flight <http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2009/3/8/nation/20090308145504&sec=nation>
by Sira Habibu, The Star

The Chinese associations here have called on the Transport Ministry to allow AirAsia to fly direct between Singapore and Langkawi to boost tourist arrivals.

**** Manifesto Checklist <http://www.yawningbread.org/arch_2009/yax-1001.htm>
by Au Waipang, Yawning Bread

A political manifesto should address the areas which need work in the coming term of office. Of course, if one had the time, it could be an infinitely long list, but here I will just keep it to the top ten priorities. These ten are, in my view, the key areas where the present situation falls far short of ideal, from the point of view of a liberal.