[MyAppleMenu] Mar 7, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Mar 7 18:59:01 EST 2009

**** High App Spending Points To iPhone Lock-In <http://db.tidbits.com/article/10098>
by Adam C. Engst and Doug McLean, TidBITS

With the iPhone, Apple is changing the game, because carrier lock-in helps AT&T, not Apple, and Apple isn't content to be just another mobile phone maker subject to the whims of the carriers. Instead, Apple is applying lessons learned from the Macintosh world to the mobile phone industry, and using the App Store and its applications as a way of generating platform lock-in on top of AT&T's contractual carrier lock-in.

**** Public Radio Apps For iPhone <http://www.macworld.com/article/139254/2009/03/publicradioapps.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Jeffrey Hatton, Macworld

The eclectic mix of news, talk, and music available over the airwaves courtesy of public radio stations throughout the U.S. would seem a perfect fit for the iPhone and iPod touch.

**** iPhone Beats Windows Mobil To 25,000 Applications <http://www.macworld.com/article/139245/2009/03/iphone_beats_windows_mobile_boasts_of_25000_applications.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Aayush Arya, Macworld

**** May Or June? WWDC '09 Speculation Is Off And Running <http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2009/03/may-or-june-wwdc-09-speculation-is-off-and-running.ars>
by Jacqui Cheng, Ars Technica

Speculation about the 2009 Worldwide Developers Conference has already gotten off to a good start, with two possible dates being thrown around. Will Apple schedule WWDC '09 in May or June? Only the Magic 8 Ball knows.

**** Apple Has No Cluse What's Going On With Dev Contracts <http://arstechnica.com/apple/news/2009/03/apple-has-no-clue-whats-going-on-with-dev-contracts.ars>
by Erica Sadun, Ars Technica

Apple seems to be caught flat-footed and unprepared for the upcoming deluge of developer renewals for its iPhone program, Ars has learned. Here's what we found regarding the status of both ADC and iTunes Connect renewals.

**** TextTwist Turbo For iPhone <http://www.macworld.com/article/139242/2009/03/texttwistturbo.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Lex Friedman, Macworld

There’s room for a good version of TextTwist on the iPhone. TextTwist Turbo isn’t it.

**** Nanny Mania 2 Game Released <http://www.macworld.com/article/139263/2009/03/nannymania2.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Peter Cohen, Macworld

Gogii Games, Macgamestore.com and Mac Games Arcade have announced the release of Nanny Mania 2, a new casual task management game for the Mac.

**** Kindle For iPhone <http://www.macworld.com/article/139264/2009/03/kindle_iphone_review.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Ben Boychuk, Macworld

The Kindle app is certainly impressive. But as e-book apps go for the iPhone and iPod Touch, it’s not the best. I wouldn’t “just say no,” but I wouldn’t fret getting hooked, either.

**** Cydia Opens Unauthorized iPhone App Store <http://www.macworld.com/article/139258/2009/03/cydia_opens_unauthorized_iphone_app_store.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by Cyrus Farivar, Macworld

**** Benchmarks: New Mac Minis <http://www.macworld.com/article/139267/2009/03/mac_mini_2009.html?lsrc=rss_main>
by James Galbraith, Macworld

Apple’s entry-level desktop benefit from new graphics chips.

**** Apple Mac Mini (Nvidia GeForce 9400M) <http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2342488,00.asp>
by Joel Santo Domingo, PC Magazine

Green and compact, the Apple Mac mini makes a good second PC in the house, or a great home base PC for someone with an iPod or iPhone.

**** New Visions In Health. New Vision Family Health Team. <http://www.apple.com/science/profiles/newvision/?sr=hotnews?sr=hotnews.rss>
by Apple

**** Loss Leader Not In Apple's Vocabulary <http://digitaldaily.allthingsd.com/20090306/loss-leader-not-in-apples-vocabulary/>
by John Paczkowski, Wall Street Journal

**** Finally Made The Switch To The Other Side... (AKA: A Former Windows User That Moved To Mac OS X) <http://mcphersonz.wordpress.com/2009/03/07/finally-made-the-switch-to-the-other-side-aka-a-former-windows-user-that-moved-to-mac-os-x/>
by Shannon McPherson's Web Log

It’s official. Apple’s Mac OS X is my favorite opperating system.

**** Wall Street On The Tundra <http://www.vanityfair.com/politics/features/2009/04/iceland200904>
by Michael Lewis, Vanity Fair

Iceland’s de facto bankruptcy—its currency (the krona) is kaput, its debt is 850 percent of G.D.P., its people are hoarding food and cash and blowing up their new Range Rovers for the insurance—resulted from a stunning collective madness. What led a tiny fishing nation, population 300,000, to decide, around 2003, to re-invent itself as a global financial power? In Reykjavík, where men are men, and the women seem to have completely given up on them, the author follows the peculiarly Icelandic logic behind the meltdown.

**** Beating Eggs <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/08/magazine/08food-t-000.html?_r=1>
by Pete Wells, New York Times

I confess that I looked askance at the food allergies that seem to plague every classroom these days — where did they all come from? — until doctors told us that my son Dexter had a whole raft of them. He was a year old when we learned he would have to avoid tuna, clams and shrimp. And onions. And garlic. Peanuts, almonds, walnuts and cashews. Sesame and poppy seeds. Egg whites, chickpeas and lentils. Soybeans and anything containing soy, which by itself put about half the supermarket off limits.

**** Cunning Linguist <http://groundnotes.wordpress.com/2009/03/06/cunning-linguist/>
by Groundnotes

The truth is, the PAP government has never seen universities as sites of enquiry for enquiry’s sake or knowledge for knowledge’s sake. Perhaps the tumultuous student politics on campus during the 1950s and 1960s had something to do with this. Instead, the government sees universities as a place to produce people with the right skills for the market.

by Ginny Goh, Media Development Authority, Straits Times

Subscription TV is a medium of choice and so more leeway is given. Subscription TV can carry content which is rated 16 or 18. However, there are also similarities. As Singapore is a multiracial society, there are key social values that are upheld in all our content codes. They include the need to be sensitive to content that is against the national interest, or which undermines social values, race and religion.

**** An Old Way Of Thinking <http://blogs.straitstimes.com/2009/3/6/an-old-way-of-thinking>
by Christopher Tan, Straits Times

To the commuter, there is nothing "premium" about the NEL or CCL if they discount the million-dollar art installations gracing their stations.

Fully underground MRT lines free up land, a scarce commodity in Singapore. The Government makes billions when it sells land above these lines. Often, the land sales pay for the cost of the entire line.

**** Singapore To Endorse OECD Anti Tax-Evasion Rules <http://www.forbes.com/feeds/afx/2009/03/06/afx6138485.html>
by Reuters

Singapore has agreed to endorse the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) standard for the exchange of information through Avoidance of Double Taxation Agreements (DTAs), the finance ministry said.

The ministry planned to amend laws in the middle of this year before seeking a parliamentary approval, it said in a statement released late on Friday.

**** 李光耀:助弱勢群體‧成功人士伸援手成效大 <http://news.sina.com/int/sinchewdaily/105-000-102-101/2009-03-07/03213692730.html>
by 星洲日報

新加坡內閣資政李光耀指出,由社會上的成功者主動對弱勢群體伸出援手,所帶來的成效更大,受惠者也會心存感激。他說,反觀由政府資助的福利計劃,是沒有情感聯繫的援助,往往被人們視為理所當然。

**** 大话女人之三:新加坡女孩喜欢“袒露”自己 <http://blog.sina.com.cn/s/blog_3fad13c80100c2pw.html>
by 莊諾的博客

**** Civil Servant Called His Parents And Grandparents And His Great-Grandparents Stupid <http://singaporecitizen.wordpress.com/2009/03/07/civil-servant-called-his-parents-and-grandparents-and-his-great-grandparents-stupid/>
by Everyday's Life In A Snapshot - For Lesser Mortals Only

Since when did he become an authority to speak on how dialects affect the use of languages? I personally learnt to speak dialects when I was young by just listening long enough to my parents’ conversations and I don’t think my Chinese and English was ever affected by it.

**** Temasek To Keep Bank Of China Stake In H1 - Report <http://www.reuters.com/article/rbssFinancialServicesAndRealEstateNews/idUSSHA4552420090307>
by Andrew Torchia, Reuters

Singapore state investor Temasek has promised not to sell its shares in Bank of China through at least the first half of this year, the bank's chairman was quoted as saying.

**** A Response To MM Lee's Private Secretary On Dialects <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2009/03/a-response-to-mm-lees-private-secretary-on-dialects/>
by Deng Chao, The Online Citizen

Ignorance and bigotry are foolishness. Recognition of the heritage of our forefathers, and respect for diversity of our nation are not.

**** Hey Stupid, Who Do You Call Stupid? <http://civicadvocator.net/hey-stupid-who-do-you-call-stupid/>
by Civic Advocator

If you show people respect, I show you respect. If you don’t show people respect, then I say **** off!

Please Chee, don’t anyhow call people stupid. I know some very smart people who do not even know how to speak English.