[MyAppleMenu] Jun 28, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sun Jun 28 18:59:00 EDT 2009

**** Is Apple's Mac Mini A MacBook Inside? <http://news.cnet.com/8301-13924_3-10274335-64.html?part=rss&tag=feed&subj=News-Apple>
by Brooke Crothers, CNET

The premium pricing of Apple's Mac Mini desktop is due to its laptop lineage, according to a teardown analysis by iSuppli.

**** iPhone App Store Puts Apple In Sticky Situation <http://feeds.ziffdavisenterprise.com/~r/RSS/tech/~3/Mx8N3eYjZ5g/>
by Nathan Eddy, eWeek

Apple's App Store is a runaway success, but controversial applications may force the company into decisions that run counter to the free market spirit that makes the App Store so popular.

**** Apple's Latest iPhone Has Learned New Tricks, But So Have Competitors <http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/06/26/AR2009062601217.html>
by Rob Pegoraro, Washington Post

Two years ago, the original iPhone was the phone that changed everything. The new iPhone 3GS can't make the same difference, not when it shares the market with both predecessors and competing models that have learned some of the same tricks.

**** What The iPhone Teaches Us About Cloud Adoption <http://news.google.com/news/url?fd=R&sa=T&url=http://news.cnet.com/8301-19413_3-10274445-240.html&usg=AFQjCNHzVXnHVnLBHkfejzbqScRZyjS25w>
by CNET

**** SousChef: ITunes-like Recipe Organizer <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=554790c90363bbe306781cd1bdb3d881>
by Jackie Dove, Macworld

**** Think Like A Fish <http://feeds.nytimes.com/click.phdo?i=d9536ce970c8513231edbfb12804c8f7>
by Salvatore Scibona, New York Times

Unlucky fishermen are all alike: We don’t know how to see. My friend Jud has outfished me in all but one or two of the hundred times we’ve gone to the ocean and bay beaches and kettle ponds on Cape Cod. By both study and exercise, he knows the culture of striped bass better than I know my own nose. But to call him “lucky” would begrudge him a talent that I have never seen in anyone else and that lives underneath skill or knowledge.

**** Living For Cinema, And Through It <http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/28/movies/28scot.html>
by A. O. Scott, New York Times

And then there is Agnès Varda, the only female filmmaker associated with the Nouvelle Vague at its high-water mark and now, at 81, an artist of undiminished vigor, curiosity and intelligence.

**** Sands Shift In Summer Reading <http://www.boston.com/ae/books/articles/2009/06/28/popular_literature_making_its_way_onto_summer_reading_lists_west_of_boston?rss_id=Boston+Globe+--+Book+reviews>
by Lisa Kocian, Boston Globe

While area schools constantly tweak their lists and debate what deserves a spot, a consensus is growing that students should be enticed to read, even if that leads them to books that haven’t yet stood the test of time.

**** Riau Islands Residents Advised Not To Visit S`pore <http://www.antara.co.id/en/view/?i=1246138797&c=NAT&s=>
by Antara

The provincial administration of Riau Islands has advised the public not to visit Singapore for the time being in view of the discovery of several swine flu cases in the city state.

"On behalf of the provincial administration I call on the public not to visit Singapore, if not absolutely necessary," the head of tourism and cultural affairs, Robert Iwan Loreux, said Saturday.

**** Singapore&#39;s Art World <http://melbourneartcritic.wordpress.com/2009/06/28/singapore%E2%80%99s-art-world/>
by Mark Holsworth, Melbourne Art &amp; Culture Critic

Singapore is not a noted internationally for its artists but that is no reason to ignore it. I won’t and I am trying to write more about Singapore’s art world. The art scene in Singapore is marginal, it has cultural, social and political problems but it is definitely improving.

**** Singapore Seeks To Manage Political Change <http://www.forbes.com/feeds/reuters/2009/06/27/2009-06-28T022401Z_01_SIN501801_RTRIDST_0_SINGAPORE-POLITICS-ANALYSIS-PIX.html>
by Nopporn Wong-Anan, Reuters

The global economic slowdown has thrown the trade-dependent city-state into its worst recession and issues from unemployment to huge losses at two sovereign wealth funds have set fresh challenges for the People's Action Party (PAP), which marked a half-century in power this month.

Analysts say future risks include political change after the current generation of ageing leaders, possibly even from a split in the ruling party, and external threats such as conflict with neighbours and competition from cheaper manufacturing centres.

**** 145 New H1N1 Cases Raise Total Infected In Singapore To 599 <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/439058/1/.html>
by Channel NewsAsia