[MyAppleMenu] Jun 27, 2009

applesurf at myapplemenu.com applesurf at myapplemenu.com
Sat Jun 27 18:59:00 EDT 2009

**** Apple Pulled Adult App, Won't Distribute Porn <http://rss.macworld.com/click.phdo?i=19fa37ccbf7a578af13a514e317ebd9c>
by Dan Moren, Macworld

**** Copy And Paste <http://daringfireball.net/2009/06/copy_and_paste>
by John Gruber, Daring Fireball

That we had to wait two years for the iPhone’s text selection and pasteboard is a good example of one aspect of the Apple way: better nothing at all than something less than great. That’s not to say Apple never releases anything less than great, but they try not to.

**** What iPhone 3’s Voice Memos Actually Sound Like (not Bad!) <http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/todmaffin/~3/zC8dDtDDK18/iphonevoice>
by Tod Maffin

Also, pay no attention to the (beautifully retro) VU meter. It really won’t help you.

**** The Cathedral Plus The Bazaar: Open Source And Apple (Design) Envy <http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-10274039-16.html?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20>
by Matt Asay , CNET

**** Why AT&amp;T Has A Lock On The iPhone <http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/tidbits_main/~3/1xT3Cz7nD6U/10376>
by Glenn Fleishman, TidBITS: Mac News for the Rest of Us

Never say never with Apple, but I believe that AT&T is where the iPhone will remain for the next couple of years.

**** Someone At Apple Should Pay <http://news.google.com/news/url?fd=R&amp;sa=T&amp;url=http://www.fool.com/investing/general/2009/06/26/someone-at-apple-should-pay.aspx&amp;usg=AFQjCNHCVCGtHF0aHiw1gQrLessWFZqzpw>
by Motley Fool

**** How To Sell Your Killer iPhone App <http://news.google.com/news/url?fd=R&sa=T&url=http://cgi.money.cnn.com/tools/redirect.jsp?url=http://askfsb.blogs.fsb.cnn.com/2009/06/25/how-to-sell-your-killer-iphone-app/&usg=AFQjCNEAVDjWsQFCnk07mRAt5_E1dvVptw>
by Kathleen Ryan O’Connor, CNNMoney.com

A guide to breaking big in Apple’s very crowded market.

**** Apple Punishes &#39;Hottest Girls&#39; App Developer <http://news.google.com/news/url?fd=R&sa=T&url=http://www.ibtimes.com/articles/20090626/apple-punishes-039-hottest-girls-039-app-developer.htm&usg=AFQjCNGmPiJcY5BTM4-zjTY1njFcLl_jjQ>
by International Business Times

Apple had officially removed the 'Hottest Girls' App from its store and seems punished the developer of the pornographic app.

**** Jobs&#39; Vision Is Not The Only Factor Keeping Apple Ripe <http://news.google.com/news/url?fd=R&sa=T&url=http://www.ft.com/cms/s/ca5432d2-61ea-11de-9e03-00144feabdc0.html&usg=AFQjCNEfEzX2tlQELz1JRPVmGuzA9MgNaQ>
by Joseph Menn, Financial Times

Former Apple executives and others who worked closely with Mr Jobs say outsiders fail to appreciate the care he has taken to build top-flight internal teams - a misperception spurred in part by Mr Jobs's own mythmaking. For that reason, they say, the stock fluctuations on speculation about Mr Jobs's prospects in fighting cancer are overdone.

**** Apple Kills Routesy App, My iPhone Gets Less Useful <http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/Venturebeat/~3/9plGTJ-4bJQ/>
by Anthony Ha, Venture Beat

The legal situation remains unclear, but either way, this is a crummy situation for any developers hoping to do something cool or useful with Muni data.

**** Apple, Palm: When Silence Isn&#39;t Golden <http://news.google.com/news/url?fd=R&sa=T&url=http://online.barrons.com/article/SB124605581945063327.html&usg=AFQjCNGTZhW0AggMfkO6XPHW-i-afAi-6g>
by Eric J. Savitz, Barron&#39;s

Here's some free advice for anyone who runs a public company but doesn't want to give any details about their business: go private.

**** The Overextended Family <http://feeds.nytimes.com/click.phdo?i=767c8aa6878ed65f628026e30c873ba5>
by Peggy Orenstein, New York Times

The very technology with which we choose to communicate in a relationship has become a barometer of our willingness to reveal ourselves within it.

**** Help Wanted <http://www.esquire.com/features/best-job-searches-0709>
by Richard Dorment, Esquire

How hard is it to find a job these days? Esquire's guy applied for more than three hundred over several weeks — and ended up with eight interviews. Real jobs, real interviews, real pain in the...

**** I Love You, Man (As A Friend) <http://feeds.nytimes.com/click.phdo?i=658470896e4a7ffc49f06d08e8ee932b>
by Douglas Quenqua, New York Times

The kinship between gay men and straight women is familiar to the point of cliché (see: “Sex and the City,” “Will and Grace,” Kathy Griffin’s audience, etc.), but friendships between gay and straight men have barely registered on the pop culture radar, perhaps because they resist easy classification. For every sweeping statement one can make about such friendships, there is a real-life counter example to undermine the stereotypes. And as with all friendships, no two are exactly alike.

**** The Postmodern Me <http://feeds.nytimes.com/click.phdo?i=867a63338488fe6629b015d49d8f5925>
by David Gates, New York Times

The best Hemon’s characters can hope for is an occasional random intersection of private fictions. His readers may have no better hope in their real lives, but in Hemon’s stories they can observe the strange, lonely artistry of the individual imagination from a distance that seems like no distance at all

**** The Concept Of Power - NCMP Better Than Proportionate Representation? <http://singaporealternatives.blogspot.com/2009/06/ncmp-better-than-proportionate.html>
by Goh Meng Seng, Singapore Alternatives

**** Why Is There A Spike In Rape And Torture Scenes In Local TV Drama? <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Online%2BStory/STIStory_395743.html>
by Jennifer Tay, Straits Times

Are rape and violence the only way Channel 8 scriptwriters can draw audience sympathy for their characters?

Furthermore, movies with violence will usually be rated at least PG or NC16, but similar violence on television shows are typically not even rated PG.

**** Where Seniors Are Treated Respectfully At Checkpoints And On Public Transport <http://www.straitstimes.com/ST%2BForum/Online%2BStory/STIStory_395746.html>
by Alice Siew, Straits Times

During the June holidays, my husband and I flew to Macau, then travelled to Zhuhai, Guangzhou, Zhenzhen and Hong Kong. Imagine our surprise when we discovered there were two lanes for the elderly and mothers with babies in arms, not forgetting those in wheelchairs.

**** 新柔关系面面观 <http://www.zaobao.com/yl/yl090627_014.shtml>
by 韩山元, 联合早报

从这回在五福城举行的陈嘉庚与李光前生平事迹展,我们发现,新柔两地民间的友好合作,还有广阔的发展空间。

**** 新加坡人对马国的“情感代沟” <http://www.zaobao.com/yl/yl090627_003.shtml>
by 游润恬, 联合早报

如果我们不去了解两国当初分家时,是如何志不同道不合不相为谋,又不理解双方为何对种族、宗教和语文课题都有各自的敏感之处,那我们就永远无法理解两国关系为何那么特殊,需要小心去呵护。

**** Dr M Pushes Crooked Bridge To Singapore Once Again <http://malaysiasms.wordpress.com/2009/06/27/dr-m-pushes-crooked-bridge-to-singapore-once-again/>
by The Power Of SMS

**** Gone With The Wind <http://thestar.com.my/columnists/story.asp?col=insightdownsouth&file=/2009/6/27/columnists/insightdownsouth/4196408&sec=Insight%20Down%20South>
by Seah Chiang Nee, The Star

As I sat down for my last nostalgic meal there, I couldn’t help but wonder how many small coffeeshops will leave us once the recession ends and rents rise again.

**** Comparing Apples With Oranges – “Temasek Outdid Key Benchmarks”? <http://theonlinecitizen.com/2009/06/comparing-apples-with-oranges-%e2%80%9ctemasek-outdid-key-benchmarks%e2%80%9d/>
by Leong Sze Hian , The Online Citizen

**** Some Observations From Singapore <http://ramblingsbybones.wordpress.com/2009/06/26/some-observations-from-singapore/>
by Thoughts…Musings…Observations

Why are 2 countries which started off nearly at the same time so different?

**** “多管闲事”的新加坡警察 <http://news.163.com/09/0627/02/5CPHSU0I000120GR.html>
by 青年参考

**** Johor Has Enough Water, Says Exco Member <http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?file=/2009/6/27/nation/4206317&sec=nation>
by The Star

Johor does not need to buy Newater from Singapore as it has enough supply of drinking water for its people. In fact, the state will continue to be generous and share its supply with both Singapore and Malacca.

Johor international trade and industry, energy, water, communications and environment committee chairman Tan Kok Hong said less than 4% of total rainwater in the state was used for drinking.

**** Revive The Crooked Bridge, Stupid! <http://heart-murmur.blogspot.com/2009/06/revive-crooked-bridge-stupid.html>
by Murmurs from the Heart

**** Do We Really Want Democracy? <http://pauldouglas.mobi/myblog/?p=91>
by Paul Douglas' Blog

**** Singapore Fights Mexican Flu With Authoritarian Efficiency <http://www.yawningbread.org/arch_2009/yax-1050.htm>
by Yawning Bread

**** S'pore Confirms 89 New Cases Of H1N1; Total Number Of Cases Stands At 454 <http://www.channelnewsasia.com/stories/singaporelocalnews/view/438892/1/.html>
by Channel NewsAsia

**** More Crowded Skies <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_396292.html>
by Lee Xin En, Straits Times

>From Wednesday, Malaysian low-cost airline Firefly will join six other Malaysian and Singapore carriers already flying the Singapore-Kuala Lumpur route.

**** Not A Piece Of Heaven <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_396306.html>
by Estelle Low and Teh Joo Lin, Straits Times

Based on interviews with 11 Aloha Loyang residents, some felt life could be better but others emerged from the fenced-up compound with more pleasant memories.

**** Grave To Be National Monument <http://www.straitstimes.com/Breaking+News/Singapore/Story/STIStory_396309.html>
by Teo Wan Gek , Straits Times

The grave of Singapore's wartime hero Lim Bo Seng may become a national monument one day. His family has approached the National Heritage Board to accord the grave such status.